Before Midnight

8.2

1. Jul 19, 2013
    The dialogue stretches to the end of time in every scene of the movie but what keeps it together and easy to take in, is its genuine feeling and fluid delivery. For most of the time you forget that your watching a movie and instead real peoples lives.
  2. Lyn
    Jun 14, 2013
    I couldn't wait to hear from Jesse and Celine again! But this film lacked the luminous insights of the first two; I can't think of a single memorably true phrase. I concede that it probably wouldn't be entertaining to watch a contented middle-aged couple engage in contented conversation for a couple of hours. But while any marriage has its ragged edges, the savage fighting here felt likeI couldn't wait to hear from Jesse and Celine again! But this film lacked the luminous insights of the first two; I can't think of a single memorably true phrase. I concede that it probably wouldn't be entertaining to watch a contented middle-aged couple engage in contented conversation for a couple of hours. But while any marriage has its ragged edges, the savage fighting here felt like they saved up every gripe and grudge of nine years, only to discharge them when a director said "ready, aim, fire!" Celine, especially, seemed like a merciless harpy for choosing a lovely vacation setting and a moment when her husband ached from his son's departure to rant about the dashing of her feminist goals. The conversations were interesting, for the most part. Sadly, however, I'm not sure I want to revisit these two again. Expand
  3. Jun 20, 2013
    In 95's "Before Sunrise" Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy spend one romantic nite strolling around Vienna in conversation. A decade later they ramble thru Paris doing the same thing in "Before Sunset." This time they're on vacation in Greece with their kids, where the scenery is more limited. They spend an evening walking, while they discuss their relationship. If you've seen the others, you'llIn 95's "Before Sunrise" Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy spend one romantic nite strolling around Vienna in conversation. A decade later they ramble thru Paris doing the same thing in "Before Sunset." This time they're on vacation in Greece with their kids, where the scenery is more limited. They spend an evening walking, while they discuss their relationship. If you've seen the others, you'll find this one less romantic and more realistic, even difficult. Their performances are compellingly real, but the movie is more wordy and less charming. Expand
  4. Jul 11, 2013
    The movie is all talk, lots of it. It's wonderful dialogue primarily between two people and excellent acting. However, the story is a one note samba theme and there is little beyond the talk. A great opportunity for scenery in Greece is wasted. As another reviewer said, it could just be a stage play. I don;t go to the movies to see what I can see in a drama on stage.
  5. Jul 19, 2013
    Not a very good movie. Watched it because of epic reviews but was disappointed. Movie is 100% dialog and much of it is not so great. I have no idea why reviews are so good.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent,My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent, biting and emotional. At times, I felt like I was back watching "Virginia Woolf" again. For us, the entertainment value was not there. I felt like I might have gotten the same enjoyment from reading this script, as from watching the movie. We go the the movies to be entertained. Ergo the mixed review.....excellent dialogue....minimal entertainment value. Collapse
  7. Aug 2, 2013
    Well I don't know-I certainly hoped our beloved characters would have some better luck then to get stuck into dysfunctional relationship with fighting and arguing about just everything.
  8. Feb 24, 2014
    Warning to people that are going to watch this, it is much better if you have watched the first two. This movie is all dialogue and I mean every single bit and the scenes are excruciatingly long but in the end this movie shows the true side of marriage and shows how difficult it can really be. I would give this a 58.9/100 mostly due to the fact that the pacing was slow.

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Jun 23, 2013
    The latest in the wonderful "Before" series does three important things: It breaks out of the courtship formula, yet retains the series' quality, and it moves the lives of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) forward in ways that are satisfying and believable. True, a romance you once envied might now be a relationship you'd not want to be in, but as long as Celine and Jesse are still talking, there's hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jun 21, 2013
    A more-than-worthy, expectations-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema’s finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jun 21, 2013
    Luckily, Hawke and Delpy remain as charming as ever, and their combined goofiness is more endearing than annoying. Winning, too, is the sense that this peculiar project, though imperfect, could grow old with its audience and its cast.