8.2

1. Jun 4, 2013
    Maybe its the fact that I have grown with these characters, and maybe its because I am currently going through a divorce, but the biting dialogue about marriage, life, death, and parenthood cut through me from the opening scene in the airport to the closing scene on a dock. Breathtaking. A must see.
  2. Jul 19, 2013
    The dialogue stretches to the end of time in every scene of the movie but what keeps it together and easy to take in, is its genuine feeling and fluid delivery. For most of the time you forget that your watching a movie and instead real peoples lives.
  3. Oct 25, 2013
    I just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I canI just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I can experience at home without paying to see a movie. Wife thought it was boring too, she went to bed 2/3s of the way in. Expand
  4. Jun 21, 2013
    What a Great Movie. I did not see the first two movies. The story shows the complexities of love and relationships. Can't praise the movie enough. Loved it.
  5. Jun 1, 2013
    Before Midnight is one of the smartest movies around, and the best of the three in this series. Delphy and Hawke are magnificent. They are up to the challenge more dark content as their marriage is threatened to be pulled apart by anger, resentment, jealousy and other issues/ these issues that the two have seemed to repressed for nine come out in to the open in a hotel room whileBefore Midnight is one of the smartest movies around, and the best of the three in this series. Delphy and Hawke are magnificent. They are up to the challenge more dark content as their marriage is threatened to be pulled apart by anger, resentment, jealousy and other issues/ these issues that the two have seemed to repressed for nine come out in to the open in a hotel room while vacationing in Greece. Richard Linklater gives more depth to these character in the previous two films He seems to understand what it takes to make a relationship survive. A beautiful film. when one leaves the theater One is overjoyed in seeing such perfect film. Expand
  6. Jul 22, 2013
    I have no idea how this movie gets any positive reviews. The director must have a lot of friends. My wife and I walked out. Scenes are unbearably long with rambling dialogue about nothing. There is no plot to this movie. It's just uninteresting people talking.
  7. Lyn
    Jun 14, 2013
    I couldn't wait to hear from Jesse and Celine again! But this film lacked the luminous insights of the first two; I can't think of a single memorably true phrase. I concede that it probably wouldn't be entertaining to watch a contented middle-aged couple engage in contented conversation for a couple of hours. But while any marriage has its ragged edges, the savage fighting here felt likeI couldn't wait to hear from Jesse and Celine again! But this film lacked the luminous insights of the first two; I can't think of a single memorably true phrase. I concede that it probably wouldn't be entertaining to watch a contented middle-aged couple engage in contented conversation for a couple of hours. But while any marriage has its ragged edges, the savage fighting here felt like they saved up every gripe and grudge of nine years, only to discharge them when a director said "ready, aim, fire!" Celine, especially, seemed like a merciless harpy for choosing a lovely vacation setting and a moment when her husband ached from his son's departure to rant about the dashing of her feminist goals. The conversations were interesting, for the most part. Sadly, however, I'm not sure I want to revisit these two again. Collapse
  8. May 24, 2013
    Before Midnight is the third of three movies, shot about a decade apart each, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as lovers with a very push-pull dynamic. It's not necessary to see the first two movies to follow Before Midnight. The movie features long takes (sometimes not cutting for 10 minutes at a time) the story takes place over a day, and dialogue and naturalistic acting areBefore Midnight is the third of three movies, shot about a decade apart each, starring Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy as lovers with a very push-pull dynamic. It's not necessary to see the first two movies to follow Before Midnight. The movie features long takes (sometimes not cutting for 10 minutes at a time) the story takes place over a day, and dialogue and naturalistic acting are paramount. There's a complexity to their characters and relationship that refuses to fully romanticize or demonize them. It's something of a realist romance in (deliberate) contrast the beautiful settings. Careful viewers will notice a handful of ironies that ground the romance in reality. I won't give examples here, or go into the details that keep me from giving this a 9 or 10 as many critics do. The movie is the proverbial breath of fresh air, though. I'd say that the main weakness of the movie stems from its strengths, in that when artists set out to make something so true to human nature (as opposed to fluffier rom coms or Nicholas Sparks movies) it's easy to hear the (few) false notes that are played. There are very few; and unless you're jonesing for a mere-nonsense 'entertainment' movie, this movie should appeal to practically anyone. Expand
  9. May 25, 2013
    The first two films in the series are outstanding, and I was a little concerned that the third wouldn't live up, but it does. I sincerely hope that Linklater, Hawke and Delpy do another one in 10 years, when they're 50. Such amazing chemistry between the leads, and it rings so true. It's funny, often painful, but authentic as hell. If you're a 19 year old kid, should you rush out and seeThe first two films in the series are outstanding, and I was a little concerned that the third wouldn't live up, but it does. I sincerely hope that Linklater, Hawke and Delpy do another one in 10 years, when they're 50. Such amazing chemistry between the leads, and it rings so true. It's funny, often painful, but authentic as hell. If you're a 19 year old kid, should you rush out and see this film instead of Fast/Furious, Hangover, or the latest comic book colossus? Hell no. But rent the first one, wait a few years and watch the next two. If you're in your late 30s, early 40's or later, you should love this movie. Expand
  10. Dec 13, 2013
    Just not realistic. People just don’t' act or talk like this, and as the whole point of the film is one of those that try to say something about life it's just pointless. Who would even relate to this anyway unless you were a white, upper middle class American? Don't waste your time.
  11. Oct 25, 2013
    The woman is a NAG, negative and SO annoying I could barely finish watching the movie. In fact, I haven't finished watching it and I have to shout out to someone. The first movie was great, the second movie was good, this movie is bad. I love Ethan's character but the woman?...run Ethan, run. This
    woman's personality would make any man run for his life! Thumbs down!
  12. Jun 20, 2013
    In 95's "Before Sunrise" Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy spend one romantic nite strolling around Vienna in conversation. A decade later they ramble thru Paris doing the same thing in "Before Sunset." This time they're on vacation in Greece with their kids, where the scenery is more limited. They spend an evening walking, while they discuss their relationship. If you've seen the others, you'llIn 95's "Before Sunrise" Ethan Hawke & Julie Delphy spend one romantic nite strolling around Vienna in conversation. A decade later they ramble thru Paris doing the same thing in "Before Sunset." This time they're on vacation in Greece with their kids, where the scenery is more limited. They spend an evening walking, while they discuss their relationship. If you've seen the others, you'll find this one less romantic and more realistic, even difficult. Their performances are compellingly real, but the movie is more wordy and less charming. Expand
  13. Jun 10, 2013
    Expands on what came before it, rather than becoming redundant. There are a few nods to the previous installments, but this film stands on it's own, mainly because the dialogue and delivery that carry the film so triumphantly.
  14. Jun 24, 2013
    I missed out on Before Sunset and Before Sunrise until recently when my girlfriend had me watch them with her in preparation for Before Midnight. I was floored and thought about both of these movies for a few days after. Considering how much I enjoyed Linklater's other films (Slacker, Waking Life, Scanner Darkly), I don't know how I missed these.

Luckily, I didn't have to wait 9 years

Luckily, I didn't have to wait 9 years to see Before Midnight... because it's easily the best in the series.

Throughout the first two films, you see a romantic relationship blossom, but they are not without complications and turmoil. Remember the mystic in the first one? How they both had a different impression and had a minor fight over it? This trend clearly grows in their relationship over time, as Before Midnight isn't the idyllic paradise we might expect. Within the first 10 minutes, a minor fight breaks out. Through the course of the film, tensions grow. This isn't without charming moments where we see romance and love, but it's not the near perfect encounters we're used to.

While the film breaks our expectation, it also simultaneously meets it perfectly. We may be jarred by the change of tone, but through its honesty and brutality, the story that's delivered is nothing short of perfect. The arc that we see Celine and Jesse take is convincingly real and compelling, sad and happy, heartbreaking and heartwarming.

Celine acts crazy and Jesse acts distant, and both have their valid and invalid concerns, desires, and complaints. Some may argue that Celine acts unreasonable, but this isn't a story about a perfect life. It's a story about a real one. Sometimes, people act unreasonable, unable to express themselves coherently, and raising their hackles in defense at any opposition. It may take a couple days and viewings to totally understand and see all the layers involved in this couple's life, but that understanding is rewarded when the whole thing comes together and you see both sides clearer than either of the characters do.

If this ends up being the final chapter in this story, it would be a fitting end. This series is beautiful and honest, and shouldn't be missed. Before Midnight stands, in my mind, as the best of the trilogy.
  15. Jul 12, 2013
    I am truly and utterly under Jesse's and Celine's spell and hoping that they will surprise us with another snapshot of their lives 9 years from now. Even though Before Midnight is breezy to begin with, it breaks the courtship mould early on without however losing the romantic undertone and the feel real factor that defined the previous two installments. And since the characters have grownI am truly and utterly under Jesse's and Celine's spell and hoping that they will surprise us with another snapshot of their lives 9 years from now. Even though Before Midnight is breezy to begin with, it breaks the courtship mould early on without however losing the romantic undertone and the feel real factor that defined the previous two installments. And since the characters have grown older and more mature, so have the films with them. And now based in Greece, it seems like this a Greek tragedy where the deus ex machina is actually true love. Expand
  16. Jun 19, 2013
    A poignant, resonant ending to the lovers' journey. Every bit of it rings true. A love story that has wound its way over close to two decades and shows wear and tear. Beautifully crafted.
  17. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Why are they together? How self indulgent. All the critics have raved about the screenplay??? We fell asleep after and thankfully woke up when the credits were rolling.
  18. Jul 11, 2013
    The movie is all talk, lots of it. It's wonderful dialogue primarily between two people and excellent acting. However, the story is a one note samba theme and there is little beyond the talk. A great opportunity for scenery in Greece is wasted. As another reviewer said, it could just be a stage play. I don;t go to the movies to see what I can see in a drama on stage.
  19. Jul 19, 2013
    Not a very good movie. Watched it because of epic reviews but was disappointed. Movie is 100% dialog and much of it is not so great. I have no idea why reviews are so good.
  20. jkm
    Jun 2, 2013
    Impressively realistic, endearingly entertaining, and romantically funny

Impressively realistic, endearingly entertaining, and romantically funny

Rarely have I witnessed such perfect blend of acting and script in any film I have seen. It is so well-acted and so well written that one can completely forget one is watching a film. It is impressively realistic, endearingly entertaining, and romantically funny. If it were the end of the year, I would assume this would be an Oscar & Golden Globe contender. It deserves such recognition.
  21. Jul 29, 2013
    The dialogues, the excellent performances, the cinematography,the words, the images all is perfect in a movie where the reality is just (almost) real.
  22. Sep 15, 2013
    Plot (Imdb): We meet Jesse and Celine nine years on in Greece. Almost two decades have passed since their first meeting on that train bound for Vienna.

Masterpiece..
  23. Aug 9, 2013
    The reviews of this thought-garbage movie prove all critics, and most of the film industry, are Cartesian, schizophrenics.
    The bedrock of reality isn't thought. The bedrock of reality is being-in-the-world. It might sound like a strange or vague point to make about a movie but this movie exemplifies it in the worst way. I can't sum up this trilogy any better than to say it's tagline could be 'I Think, Therefore I am'. To see how this phrase might not be the ultimate truth look at how being really is.
    Being-in-the-world is gravity, repetition, and energy holding us in an orbit (think of the sun, the source of life). These three things make thought possible. Gravity can be love, caring, attraction, repulsion. Repetition can be cycles, seasons, habits, the basis of truth, waves. And energy can be any kind of energy.
    As for the scene at the table, a computer can play chess because chess is math and the language of math is fixed. A computer can't use language like us because language is affixed to being-in-the-world. Computers don't have being-in-the-world. Computers only have energy and repetition. For computers efficiency stands in for gravity. It's why they're so boring and artificial intelligence is brain-dead.
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent,My wife and I went to this movie because of the overwhelming positive reviews, and ended up disappointed. FYI, we did not see either of the prequels, and knew little of the premise. The movie is extremely well written and acted. The key to our disappointment was that this movie is 95% dialogue! The entire movie could have been done on stage. Certainly, the dialogue was excellent, biting and emotional. At times, I felt like I was back watching "Virginia Woolf" again. For us, the entertainment value was not there. I felt like I might have gotten the same enjoyment from reading this script, as from watching the movie. We go the the movies to be entertained. Ergo the mixed review.....excellent dialogue....minimal entertainment value. Expand
  25. Jan 4, 2014
    This is the most boring and overrated piece of crap I have ever seen. There should be awards give to those who manage to get to the end of this utterly nonsensical and uninteresting story about a couple of whom the woman is naggy and the guy has no charisma. I don't understand the reviews and I wish I haven't wasted my time trying to watch this DO NOT WATCH THIS
  26. Jun 10, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It’s the mark of a great script when some of the most profound lines are just tossed into the midst of a conversation, unremarked upon and quickly lost in the flow of dialogue. We all get dragged through our parents’ lives,” says Celine, a Frenchwoman whose raw intelligence is only matched by her impulsive emotions. Jesse, a writer and Celine’s common-law husband, offers this: “If we were ever going to truly know each other, we’d probably have to get to know ourselves better first.” Jesse and Celine are played by Ethan Hawke and Julie Delpy, and they have been for almost 20 years. The characters were first introduced in the charming 1995 romance Before Sunrise, as students who meet on a train and spend the night ambling through Vienna, talking of what is past, or passing, or to come. Nine years later, in Before Sunset, Jesse is giving a reading at Paris’s Shakespeare and Company bookshop, and Celine comes to see him. Another peripatetic conversation follows, but did Jesse miss his plane back to his wife and child in New York? Nine more years and we have an answer in Before Midnight. Jesse and Celine are living in Paris, parents to twin eight-year-old girls. In the long opening scene (all the scenes are long, and perfectly so) Jesse is at the Kalamata airport saying goodbye to his son, who has spent part of his summer vacation with them in southern Greece. There are only a few more scenes in the movie. Jesse and Celine drive back to their vacation spot, a writer’s retreat presided over by a congenial old man. (He’s played by 86-year-old Oscar-winning cinematographer Walter Lassally in his acting debut!) They chat with friends before and during dinner. They walk to a nearby hotel, where their hosts have given them the luxury of a night away from the kids. They have a fight, and in the midst of Jesse’s apology, the movie ends. Will they make it through another nine years? As with real-life couples, no one knows. Writer/director Richard Linklater is no George Lucas, with a carefully (or perhaps not-so-carefully) plotted trilogy of trilogies. He and co-writers Hawke and Delpy make this stuff up as they go. For the fans, it almost makes sense to imagine Jesse and Celine as a couple you’ve lost touch with. With luck, you’ll hear from them again one day, bringing you up to date on their lives. It’s instructive to note, however, that while Before Midnight doesn’t end on a cliffhanging note, it’s also open to interpretation. I think the characters will muddle through into old age together; others will tell you they give the relationship another six months, tops. The characters feel so real that the kind of foibles that might normally be charged to the actor or filmmaker instead feel like faults of the characters. It drove me mad that Jesse always has half his shirt untucked, but apparently that’s just Jesse. And when Celine raises her voice and drops her IQ to tease her mate by pretending to be a bimbo, it made me realize what an actress she is. Almost as good as Julie Delpy. An old woman talks about how the memory of her dead husband was always strongest in the morning, before the sun made it fade. Someone else describes the differing reactions of male and female coma patients upon awakening. In other ways, it’s refreshingly on par. Linklater has a new cinematographer in Christos Voudouris, but the camera still finds ways to unobtrusively jog alongside the protagonists, and it knows when to just be still. Given that more than 10 minutes of the film takes place in the front seat of a car, and at least that much in a smallish hotel suite, Linklater makes great use of minimal space and available light. It all adds up to a wondrous third meeting, with concomitantly higher expectations for the fourth. Some critics have argued that Linklater and company should quit while they’re ahead, but the same was said of the last film, and it’s a good thing that road was not taken. I leave you with two scenes to ponder. In one, the couple playfully contemplates their mortality, calculating how much longer they would have to stay together to match the record of Jesse’s recently deceased grandparents. In another, the fragility of time passing is caught by the rays of the sun, sinking toward the horizon as they watch from a seaside restaurant. Expand
  27. Jul 15, 2013
    I am a huge fan of Richard Linklater’s ‘Before’ Films, and the third installment, ‘Before Midnight’, met my high expectations. We saw the inception of Jesse and Celine’s relationship, and have made a few brief visits ever since. While the first two films flirted with certain romanticism, whether it be chance encounter or the existence of a soul mate, this one was much darker in itsI am a huge fan of Richard Linklater’s ‘Before’ Films, and the third installment, ‘Before Midnight’, met my high expectations. We saw the inception of Jesse and Celine’s relationship, and have made a few brief visits ever since. While the first two films flirted with certain romanticism, whether it be chance encounter or the existence of a soul mate, this one was much darker in its approach. It does away with some of the fanciful aspects of a relationship and chooses to engage in some of the harsher sides of it. Yes, the relationship is in jeopardy as Jesse’s (well played by Ethan Hawke) desire to be with his son in the States conflicts with Celine’s opportunity to take a job in government. This is only the beginning, as their conflicts lead to more arguments; and all this ultimately leads to insight into the true state of their relationship. The performances were very naturalistic which is probably one the most defining aspects of these films, the collaboration between Linklater and our two stars (who also co-wrote the script) are spot on; and Julie Delpy has never been better as Celine; she channels an even more manic behavior into the character, this time around. To say that this film is about people talking is only telling a third... no, a tenth of the story. The conversations between our characters were witty, absorbing and gives great perspectives into the complexities of love and marriage. Jesse and Celine’s now troubled relationship started from the page, and with that said the screenplay was simply exquisite, and is worthy of at least a nomination next Oscar season. This is a fine film that (possibly) concludes an excellent trilogy. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    Before Midnight is, of course, the third (and not necessarily final) film in Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy's winsome, organic, intimate series that follows the stories of lovers Jesse and Celine. The film picks up nine years after the ambiguous ending of Before Sunset and well, you're not interested in the plot. Jesse and Celine are together, of course, because howBefore Midnight is, of course, the third (and not necessarily final) film in Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy's winsome, organic, intimate series that follows the stories of lovers Jesse and Celine. The film picks up nine years after the ambiguous ending of Before Sunset and well, you're not interested in the plot. Jesse and Celine are together, of course, because how could the film exist otherwise?

And what, really, can I say? Was there any doubt that I would gush about this film before I even set eyes on its beautiful opening shot: a throwaway close-up of Ethan Hawke's Jesse and his son, Hank's, shoes? Call me a biased reviewer. Maybe I'm doing it wrong by allowing this film to be the third act of a singular, indivisible story. The truth is, it was going to take a disaster of tremendous proportions for me to not love this film. I can say with absolute certainty that such was not the case. As far as judgment rendered goes, there's a pretty simple rubric. Have you seen the first two films? If not, go see them now. There is absolutely zero reason to watch Midnight out of context, even if it does stand strong as an independent entity. Now, did you love the first two films? If not, you should probably kill yourself with robotic haste, so bleak is the world you must inhabit. If you've seen both Sunrise and Sunset and are still breathing, you will see this film. You will almost assuredly love it. Few things in the world are so simple and so certain.

Instead, I'll waste everyone's time by drawing some fairly moot and humble and utterly small comparisons between the three films.

Sunrise is the most unapologetically romantic film of the series, as is to be expected. Midnight ranks a close second, however, due to a level of passion and tenacity that was understated in Sunset. Where Sunrise basks in the warm afterglow of the fading day and the comfortable fabric of young love, and where Sunset is more about two individuals coming to terms with their own lives in relation to each other, Midnight is about the sundering chaos of a binary star system, two supergiants pulling and pushing on each other, bound in an endless dance of growth, destruction, and renewal. Midnight is by far the most intense of the three films; Sunrise is warm, Sunset is cool, and Midnight spans the daring gamut from lukewarm comfort into a nuclear firestorm. Sunrise is all about possibility, where these two people might ever go. Sunset is about evaluation, the strange and complicated states they're suspended in. Midnight is about both the past and the future, looking to both with remorse and hopefulness, and not with the intellectual and emotional curiosity of Sunset but with pinned resignation and patience and pity and an entirely different kind of hope.

Before Midnight is a powerful film. In comparison (and by no means diminishing the potency of the other two films),Sunrise is a carefree frolic through the grass, Sunset is a careful dance of courtship between two experienced partners, and Midnight is a bare knuckle brawl of devastating emotional honesty that is only possible between two people who have known each other for so many years and therefore possess the arsenal to really hurt both their partners and themselves. It is the biggest film of the three in scope; it introduces what may almost amount to a supporting cast, and in the first act, I almost feared that the focus of the film had unraveled a bit. But by the halfway point, we have returned to the relationship at the core of this (so far) trilogy. But it also spans the largest portion of the emotional gamut; it doesn't deal as heavily in the ethereal idealism of the first film or the calculated sophistication of the second, but runs all the bases and spreads further outward and onward, exploring new emotions and histories and anything else that's ripe for the picking. Midnight is also the funniest of the three; with cruelty there is the merciful counterbalance of humor, made all the more wry and sharper by the irony and acridity that surrounds it.

There is little else to say about what Midnight accomplishes without ruining the film. This is by far the most plot-dependent of the three films (though still not very), and there are emotional surprises to be had along the way. It is the most beautiful of the three films, especially in its opening act, and especially in a scene filmed at a group dinner that uses light so expertly and beautifully that it is numbing in its sheer visual skill.

It is also the messiest of the films. Sunset remains the closest of the three to perfection. Sunrise had some of the unsteady hand of a young auteur, but Midnight sometimes strays by way of its own ambition, a quality that the first two, especially Sunrise were too cool to have. It lacks the almost calculated efficiency of Sunset but is a more daring film, one that renews my love of these two souls, one that has me counting the days until we may revisit their lives again
  29. Oct 13, 2013
    Deep down in my heart, I felt like this was the 2nd WORSE MOVIE EVER MADE! it's WORSE THAN EVERY HORROR/ROM-COM MOVIES! it's like you are reading a Girl's Book...

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid, I can check if he/she liked this crap! hahahaha)
  30. Nov 25, 2013
    I would not have attempted to watch this had I realized it was the third of a trilogy. Having not seen the first two, I am completely baffled by the high ratings this movie has. There is absolutely no plot. I can understand enjoying the movie if you're already invested in the characters from the previous tales and just want to spend more time with them, but this completely failed toI would not have attempted to watch this had I realized it was the third of a trilogy. Having not seen the first two, I am completely baffled by the high ratings this movie has. There is absolutely no plot. I can understand enjoying the movie if you're already invested in the characters from the previous tales and just want to spend more time with them, but this completely failed to make me like them, and therefore I didn't care about what they had to say (which is all that happens for the entire movie), so it ended up being a waste of my time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Jun 23, 2013
    The latest in the wonderful "Before" series does three important things: It breaks out of the courtship formula, yet retains the series' quality, and it moves the lives of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) forward in ways that are satisfying and believable. True, a romance you once envied might now be a relationship you'd not want to be in, but as long as Celine and Jesse are still talking, there's hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jun 21, 2013
    A more-than-worthy, expectations-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema’s finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jun 21, 2013
    Luckily, Hawke and Delpy remain as charming as ever, and their combined goofiness is more endearing than annoying. Winning, too, is the sense that this peculiar project, though imperfect, could grow old with its audience and its cast.