8.1

1. Aug 21, 2014
    This is not a movie, this is a one hour forty minute conversation so beautifully scripted that each and every line force you to admire it, love it, feel it and most importantly live it...!!
    Although not 100% realistic, things not always go that smooth and people not always talk like that but by reducing the boring and not so nice realistic part from the movie(or the conversation), they
    made it more beautiful and heart touching. Expand
  2. Jul 26, 2014
    Strong performances. It makes a lot of sense dramatically and compositionally to have Jesse and Celine bickering, reintroducing previous ponderings about soul mates, fate and everlasting love; questioning them. The film culminates in a hotel scene that's rather exhausting to bear witness to. I found Celine intolerable. I guess that she's probably supposed to be and perhaps has her reasons to be. It's rough to see the couple having devolved into exactly the people they once swore never to become. Expand
  3. Jul 12, 2014
    Not as good as Before sunset. I still like the conversations they had, and the scenery, but nothing stood out.I also didn`t like the ending much. The ending is what probably left a bad taste in my mouth.
  4. May 6, 2014
    My comments will be directed mostly towards the writing of the movie. I thought it was a beautiful looking movie. Midnight has a more realistic look to it. In terms of the picture, it is not better or worst looking than the first two, it is just different--intentional different, I think.

This is the best written film. The most romantic, I think. It was easy for the two characters to
    fall in love in the first movie. They were young, experimental, and free. In the second movie, they have been disappointed by love, but the desire was still there and the biggest huddle they had to leap was the institute of marriage. This movie may seem depressing and full of hateful speech, but these are my arguments that this is the most romantic movie of all three.

1. Celine is trying to make herself fall out of love with Jessie, and she is trying to make Jessie fall out of love with her. She says at one point that Jessie bread does not have the same color it had when he was young. If you remember, she mentioned in sunrise that this was one of her favorite physical feature of him. In her mind, she is trying to construct arguments that would let her reach the conclusion that she does not love him anymore. This is one of her arguments to herself. Jessie rebutted. Then she tries to argue that Jessie hinders her spirit to be a strong independent women. Jessie rebutted. However, leaving France is the one thing Celine will not do. This is not because she hates the United States so much. It is because, by going back to America, to Celine, Jessie admitting that he made a mistake nine years earlier. Celine does not want their love and their life and their children to be a mistake in Jessie's mind. This is why she does not let Jessie talks to her son on the phone, she would like to avoid the topic altogether, but it is eating away at him.

2. What is in question is not the fact that they love each other and that they want to be together, it is the fact that they are facing the biggest huddle in their relationship: "I **** up my whole life because of you." That is not what a women wants to hear, but in respects to his son, that statement is absolutely true. He choose Celine over his family back in America. Celine knows it is true, and she knows it does not means Jessie does not love her, but the only way she will admit it ( "it" being the fact that She and her daughters are Jessie's biggest mistake and biggest regret in regards to his son). How does a mother admit that her children and herself is a father's mistake, well she has to convince herself that she does not love him.

Of course this is art, and many other possible explanations of this movie are plausible. However, when I first seen the movie I felt the same way as many other fans. I felt like it was dark, and depressing, and I felt Celine was being unreasonable harsh. But if we were to truly ponder what Jessie is asking Celine to do, the fact that she is even considering it, is a testament to how strong and powerful their love is and has always been. This is the most romantic movie because the huddle they have to jump to maintain their love is taller than it was in the first two movies.

A few comments on the ending. Yes, as one user suggested, it ended in "the eye of the storm." I'm not sure that is a bad thing. However, the last conversation I felt was very important. Did Celine surrender? I think when she broke into the character of the "stupid, simple girl" that Jessie is suppose to want, it represented the most heartbreaking moment of the series. Heartbreakingly sad, or heartbreakingly romantic. This movie gives you the chance to pick. Best Three American romance movies ever.

How did 12 Years a Slave win best screenplay? Go pick up a history book and read, you will have the same experience as watching 12 years a Slave--beautiful looking movie, but no new twist to the same story. That is another issue.
  5. May 3, 2014
    Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke reunite for what is probably the most consistent, and definitely the most underrated film trilogy of all time.
  6. Mar 17, 2014
    While reading The Guardian's 2010 Ranking for "The 25 best romantic films of all time", I found two Richard Linklater's films: "Before Sunrise" and "Before Sunset". I then watched them, and I agreed. Now, it comes the third film in Richard Linklater, Ethan Hawke, and Julie Delpy's intimate and romantic series that follows the stories of lovers Jesse and Celine. You can watch "Before Midnight" and appreciate the film on its own
    right. But, I advise you to first see the two previous films (Sunrise
    and Sunset, in that order), before this one. Then you will understand
    that "Before Midnight" is a powerful film, but IMHO it could not be
    fully appreciated if you could not discover Jesse and Celine before.

There is not much to say, but advise you to watch this film series to
    appreciate great acting, great stories and great original films.

I really hope for this love story to continue. And I am sure that some
    of you may agree with me that these romantic films, may sometime be
    ranked as the best romantic film series of all time.
  7. Feb 24, 2014
    Warning to people that are going to watch this, it is much better if you have watched the first two. This movie is all dialogue and I mean every single bit and the scenes are excruciatingly long but in the end this movie shows the true side of marriage and shows how difficult it can really be. I would give this a 58.9/100 mostly due to the fact that the pacing was slow.
  8. Jan 24, 2014
    The final scene of this trilogy was worthwhile. It was thoughtful, reflective and heartwarming. In my opinion the remainder of the trilogy (i.e. all three movies) didn't amount to much more than a record of some very plain conversations, which rarely offered any useful or unusual insights into human relationships.
  9. Jan 21, 2014
    A lot of the complaints are coming from people who haven't seen the first 2. When viewed as a trilogy, the "Before" series is absolutely fantastic, and this movie is without a doubt the best of the 3. This explores the true meaning of love, why we feel love, why we experience love, why we love who we love. It is so profound, and so damn near flawless. I understand why some find it slow, and boring, and drawn-out, but if you watch all three, and you listen to everything they say, you'll find tons of gems, and you'll hopefully be entertained. For me, it made me view love in a different way than I ever had. Expand
  10. Jan 8, 2014
    I think this is a very very interesting film. Maybe it is not the best film of the trilogy, but it gives aoriginal an nice ending to the film series. The three films have something special, that catch you, and I say this because i was a hole afternoon watching the films. There aren't like many othe comedies, thay have, and specially this, has the different way to talk about a romantic story of a man and a woman. I find it really well. Expand
  11. Jan 4, 2014
    This is the most boring and overrated piece of crap I have ever seen. There should be awards give to those who manage to get to the end of this utterly nonsensical and uninteresting story about a couple of whom the woman is naggy and the guy has no charisma. I don't understand the reviews and I wish I haven't wasted my time trying to watch this DO NOT WATCH THIS
  12. Jan 2, 2014
    I was somewhat disappointed with this film after all I read as I expected more. I acknowledge that it is well acted and offers more visual variety than the previous two installments in the trilogy. However, I want more from a movie than just a conversation and I hope the director isn't tempted to make another "Before installment as I am not planning on seeing it if he does.
  13. Dec 29, 2013
    If you want to watch a film about love, family, sex, and the complex differences between men and women then this is the film for you. The scene in the hotel room is priceless even though I think Celine is crazy. A-
  14. Dec 28, 2013
    One of the most boring movies I have ever seen. Why are they together? How self indulgent. All the critics have raved about the screenplay??? We fell asleep after and thankfully woke up when the credits were rolling.
  15. Dec 13, 2013
    Just not realistic. People just don’t' act or talk like this, and as the whole point of the film is one of those that try to say something about life it's just pointless. Who would even relate to this anyway unless you were a white, upper middle class American? Don't waste your time.
  16. Nov 25, 2013
    I would not have attempted to watch this had I realized it was the third of a trilogy. Having not seen the first two, I am completely baffled by the high ratings this movie has. There is absolutely no plot. I can understand enjoying the movie if you're already invested in the characters from the previous tales and just want to spend more time with them, but this completely failed to make me like them, and therefore I didn't care about what they had to say (which is all that happens for the entire movie), so it ended up being a waste of my time. Expand
  17. Nov 20, 2013
    We only know Jesse and Céline for two days in their lives (BEFORE SUNRISE 1995, 8/10; BEFORE SUNSET 2004, 9/10), but as if we have invested too much already, so at the beginning of this third chapter, when we realize that they have been living together for all these 9 years by now and even had two twin girls, is it a truly romantic fairytale comes true or the day-to-day reality has eroded the edges and corners and exhausted their acuity in dissecting what they are really thinking? The triad of Linklater, Delpy and Hawke will present us a most satisfactory delight delving into these two soul mates’ current states of mind.

Again tracing a one-day journey of the couple in their last day of their summer getaway in Southern Greece, in the morning, they see off Jesse’s son Hank in the airport, who has to return to his mother, Jesse’s ex-wife, which aggravates Jesse’s paternity guilt for being absent in most of Hank’s life, elicits an idea to move back to USA with the entire family, while they’re driving back from the airport, the discord occurs when Céline rebuffs the connotation of the unscheduled idea, and a time-bomb is ticking, the first long take in the car signals as a gambit to re-ignite the audience members’ coveted interest in their love story.

Under the magnificent scenery of this ancient land, their farewell lunch with friends carries a casual spirit but the small talk is overflowing with engaging and emotively touching insights about love from different ages and experiences, Jesse and Céline are mainly listeners, but Delpy manage to pull off a splendid ad lib mimics a brainless bimbo flirting with Jesse the writer and talking about Romeo and Juliet, so hilarious and this is a patina when they are surrounded with other people.

Later, they leave their daughters to friends and head to a hotel since they are treated to have a private evening in a hotel to culminate their last night there (with a couple massage coupon), clearly it is a god-given opportunity for them to express real thoughts without the interference of their children. Meandering in the town, everything is like deja vu, they are like two people deeply in love with each other and the sexual attraction is simmering when they reach the room, but their carnal engagement is interrupted by a pivotal call from Hank, their following tête-à-tête turns sours when Céline bickers about her sacrifice in the relationship and the frustration of parenting, utters discontent and spurns the prospect of moving to USA, meanwhile Jesse appears to be the calm one, but his passive-aggressive strategy fails to appease her and they begin to blame faults to each other, until Céline storms out and leaves the deal-breaker I don’t love you anymore”. From convivial to acrid, it is so spot-on in everyman’s world, then the ending plays a nice trick on the ambivalent possibilities of their future, fingers-crossed a fourth one will come another 9 years later and it will be worth the wait.

Thumbs up to both Hawke and Delpy’s scintillating acting, their resounding rapport and flawless two-hander should have earned some serious awards recognition apart from their effervescent script, good luck for a third time, Delpy could be a dark horse to bag a BEST LEADING ACTRESS nomination, and she is also French, Oscar voters, remember?
  18. Nov 3, 2013
    It is fun to watch and brave enough (6 long sequences!), but quite flawed. At times it feels that these two have never had a conversation before, given the themes and issues that they keep revisiting. Some parts seem too forced and artificial for such a mature (in time) relationship. It looks like someone felt that "someone has to be always talking or it will seem that there is no content! -even during the sunset scene!!!!-" (nothing further from the intention or the French films that give inspiration to Before Midnight, where natural conversations are as important as scene composition, space and silence) Great effort from the actors that must still be wondering "couldn't we just shut up and kiss?!" Expand
  19. Nov 2, 2013
    Easily the best written script of the year... shear magic... honest, raw, difficult to watch at times, funny, and sexy... best writing of the year. I only hope they continue the story following these characters in another 9 years!
  20. Oct 25, 2013
    I just watched this movie with my wife, while it probably was insightful and intelligently and realistically written, it was just boring. NOTHING HAPPENED in the whole movie. They talked then they talked, then they talked some more. I am not one of those guys who rates movies on how many people get shot, but please give me a little story or drama beyond the day to day life I can experience at home without paying to see a movie. Wife thought it was boring too, she went to bed 2/3s of the way in. Expand
  21. Oct 25, 2013
    The woman is a NAG, negative and SO annoying I could barely finish watching the movie. In fact, I haven't finished watching it and I have to shout out to someone. The first movie was great, the second movie was good, this movie is bad. I love Ethan's character but the woman?...run Ethan, run. This
    woman's personality would make any man run for his life! Thumbs down!
  22. Oct 13, 2013
    Deep down in my heart, I felt like this was the 2nd WORSE MOVIE EVER MADE! it's WORSE THAN EVERY HORROR/ROM-COM MOVIES! it's like you are reading a Girl's Book...

(The good thing is: Now, everytime I need to check if a Reviewer is stupid, I can check if he/she liked this crap! hahahaha)
  23. Sep 15, 2013
    Plot (Imdb): We meet Jesse and Celine nine years on in Greece. Almost two decades have passed since their first meeting on that train bound for Vienna.

Masterpiece..
  24. Sep 10, 2013
    Starting with Before Sunrise in 1995, the Before Trilogy has been the perfect anti blockbuster saga that depicts the lives of two people who just happen to find each other sitting on a train heading to Vienna. What follows that initial meeting is nothing short of magical. Jesse (Ethan Hawke) and his wife Celeste (Julie Delpy) and their twin girls are vacationing at a writers retreat in Greece and for their last night they have been treated to a night exploring a small Greek town together, one that highlights each of their insecurities, hopes, dreams and inner most thoughts, thoughts that could bring this epic romance to an end. Before Midnight seems like an apt conclusion to this revelatory series as it is not only the best of the bunch but it's surely one of the best films of the year. The film doesn't shy away from the fears and relationship problems that hit people in their forties as they re-examine their lives. Midnight is the darkest of the three films but that only adds to the experience as the film exhibits a wealth of emotion established over three days of these peoples lives. A cracking romp, it's funny, intelligent and never once leaves you questioning what time it is. Even for someone unclear of Jesse and Celeste's history, Before Midnight is a detailed and personal film written by people who love these characters and want as many other people to do so too. The main reason its works as a film is because it involves you in a persons life that almost everyone can relate to in some way or another as Jesse comments on social dynamics and Celeste complains about the vulgarity of men you can associate with them in a way few films manage. As the film draws to a close the film leads into an anti-establishment climax as these characters shift and respond to things in a beautiful and painfully real way. While everything comes crashing down for these two you might see something you didn't want to see in yourself or you might glance upon the films ending and feel a glimmer of hope for these two and maybe by extension yourself. Expand
  25. Aug 9, 2013
    The reviews of this thought-garbage movie prove all critics, and most of the film industry, are Cartesian, schizophrenics.
    The bedrock of reality isn't thought. The bedrock of reality is being-in-the-world. It might sound like a strange or vague point to make about a movie but this movie exemplifies it in the worst way. I can't sum up this trilogy any better than to say it's tagline could
    be 'I Think, Therefore I am'. To see how this phrase might not be the ultimate truth look at how being really is.
    Being-in-the-world is gravity, repetition, and energy holding us in an orbit (think of the sun, the source of life). These three things make thought possible. Gravity can be love, caring, attraction, repulsion. Repetition can be cycles, seasons, habits, the basis of truth, waves. And energy can be any kind of energy.
    As for the scene at the table, a computer can play chess because chess is math and the language of math is fixed. A computer can't use language like us because language is affixed to being-in-the-world. Computers don't have being-in-the-world. Computers only have energy and repetition. For computers efficiency stands in for gravity. It's why they're so boring and artificial intelligence is brain-dead.
  26. Aug 2, 2013
    Well I don't know-I certainly hoped our beloved characters would have some better luck then to get stuck into dysfunctional relationship with fighting and arguing about just everything.
  27. Jul 30, 2013
    Probably the best movie I've seen so far this year, despite the fact that occasionally you're going to want to yell TIME OUT! at the screen. A third act fight scene is so intense that I wanted to reach for the glass of wine I saw on the screen. The film is comprised mostly of long takes, and feature the main stars simply talking.
  28. Jul 29, 2013
    The final (maybe) part in Linklater's 'Before' trilogy is so incredibly well acted and made you realy feel like you are there with these characters experiencing their emotions, joy, pain, problems through 3 different stages in their lives (each film is a different part). It's best to rewatch the first two because you can better appreciate the evolution of who these people were and who they have become. Each of the 3 films were made 9 years appart so as the actors got older, so did their characters in the story. I would very much like too see another chapter in another 9 years, sure would be interesting! Expand
  29. Jul 29, 2013
    The dialogues, the excellent performances, the cinematography,the words, the images all is perfect in a movie where the reality is just (almost) real.
  30. Jul 24, 2013
    Before midnight is the best movie of the year. Once more Richard Linklater make us explore the meaning of the true love and the difficulties that life can bring us with love, he achieved to direct a wonderful movie by presenting the beautiful places of Greece. The screenplay is absolutely amazing and very realistic, Richard Linklater, Julie Delpy and Ethan Hawke achieved to present to us with their screenplay the meaning of true love and how their magical romance that we saw in Before Sunrise and in Before Sunset concludes to a usual marriage with its own problem that many people deal with in their daily life and they still struggling to find back their true love that they may have lost during their marriage. The cast of the movie is one more time excellent, Julie Delpy is better than any other time, she gives a flawless performance that should lead her to the Academy Awards. Ethan Hawke is also very good in his role and the rest of the cast did a great job, especially the great (well know for her movies back in '60s in Greece) Xenia Kalogeropoulou gives a sweet, touching performance that will remain in our memories. The soundtrack is also amazing, the song ''Gia ena tango'' sung by Haris Alexiou (one of the best singers in Greece) gives a sweet melody to the movie. Now, i can say that the trilogy (Before Sunrise,Before Sunset,Before Midnight) is the best trilogy ever made. Before Midnight totally deserves an Oscar nomination for Best Adapted Screenplay and a nomination for Best Leading Actress (Julie Delpy) and why not a nomination for Best Motion Picture. It is difficult to believe that the love story of Jesse and Celine ends with that movie, because these movies taught us many true things, like that even a romance that we think that it could only exist in movies, it can become a usual story like the marriages we meet every day with its own problems, but also with its own moments of happiness and with this movie we can understand the meaning of true love and the meaning of the family. To sum up, we have cried and we have felt the moments of happiness of the romance of Jesse and Celine and we hope that in another 9 years we will see another movie of their love and their family. Collapse

1. Reviewed by: Mick LaSalle
    Jun 23, 2013
    The latest in the wonderful "Before" series does three important things: It breaks out of the courtship formula, yet retains the series' quality, and it moves the lives of Celine (Julie Delpy) and Jesse (Ethan Hawke) forward in ways that are satisfying and believable. True, a romance you once envied might now be a relationship you'd not want to be in, but as long as Celine and Jesse are still talking, there's hope.
  2. Reviewed by: Philip Kemp
    Jun 21, 2013
    A more-than-worthy, expectations-exceeding chapter in one of modern cinema’s finest love stories. As honest, convincing, funny, intimate and natural as its predecessors.
  3. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Jun 21, 2013
    Luckily, Hawke and Delpy remain as charming as ever, and their combined goofiness is more endearing than annoying. Winning, too, is the sense that this peculiar project, though imperfect, could grow old with its audience and its cast.