Fine Line Features | Release Date: December 22, 2000
7.2
Generally favorable reviews based on 32 Ratings
WATCH NOW
JohnnyStephensAug 25, 2013
It's without doubt one of the best films ever made!! I wasn't expecting Johnny Depp to play this role and I am impressed that he played so good. I have no words for Javier Bardem.......he was perfect!!
ryancarroll88Aug 26, 2010
Aside from a few fleeting moments of cinematic brilliance and some key performances, Julian Schnabel's biopic of homosexual Cuban writer Reinaldo Arenas falls flat on its face. Guest spots by Sean Penn and Johnny Depp are hilarious, though.
DianaMar 11, 2005
The movie's style reflects Arenas' work well, and incorporates his poetry and fiction into some of the major biographical aspects. please watch the original with subtitles; it is so much better. and let it prompt you to read some arenas!
NedD.Sep 14, 2001
Bardem is amazing, but that's all to recommend it. Julian Schnabel wastes yet another opportunity in depicting an artist on film (the first was "Basquiat"). Disjointed and uninvolving, and I never seemed to learn anything about the man Bardem is amazing, but that's all to recommend it. Julian Schnabel wastes yet another opportunity in depicting an artist on film (the first was "Basquiat"). Disjointed and uninvolving, and I never seemed to learn anything about the man or his writing. He was Cuban, he was gay, he escaped, he died. That is "Before Night Falls" in a nutshell. Expand
MarlonG.Jul 18, 2001
Impresive. Bardem is just amazing.
AnthonyZ.May 24, 2001
Rich and talented storytelling with graceful, subtle profundity.
JonC.May 22, 2001
Best film released last year. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Love it.
DesiM.Mar 23, 2001
Engrossing, beautifully photographed, hilarious, painful, joyous, tragic, triumphant. If you have ANY interest in this film's subject matter, do NOT miss it, period.
BlancoA.Mar 9, 2001
Just see it. It will be a travesty when Javier Bardem is passed over for the Academy Award (unless, of course, Ed Harris wins for "Pollack"). This film is beautiful, hopeful, and inspirational. I'll be first in line to see Bardem'sJust see it. It will be a travesty when Javier Bardem is passed over for the Academy Award (unless, of course, Ed Harris wins for "Pollack"). This film is beautiful, hopeful, and inspirational. I'll be first in line to see Bardem's next film. Expand