7.5

1. Nov 8, 2012
    A superbly seductive and savagely satisfying crime melodrama that sizzles with brilliant performances fueled by an ingenious script.
  2. ErichH.
    Nov 6, 2007
    Lumet is back as slick as ever with a sexy, smart, crime-drama/family-study. Bravura turns by Ethan Hawke and Philip Seymour Hoffman. Top notch.
  3. NatT.
    Nov 8, 2007
    I have a art theatre and this is one of those films you know your audience will enjoy. I can't wait to open it.
  4. AndyS.
    Nov 10, 2007
    A outstanding piece of cinema with a first rate performance by phillip seymour hoffman and a great story told with a magicians touch.
  5. AmberF.
    Nov 15, 2007
    This film is incredible. The writing, the acting, the timing, the directing . . . everything, impeccable. Nothing I write here will even do it justice. But I will try, if everyone makes every effort to go and see this film. Lumet reveals the crucial moment in the first ten minutes, before you've had a chance to empathize with the characters or understand their motivations. That This film is incredible. The writing, the acting, the timing, the directing . . . everything, impeccable. Nothing I write here will even do it justice. But I will try, if everyone makes every effort to go and see this film. Lumet reveals the crucial moment in the first ten minutes, before you've had a chance to empathize with the characters or understand their motivations. That quickly changes, as the film cuts to the circumstances leading up to and after the event, a botched jewelery store robbery. And this is not your average robbery, which is part of what makes this film so captivating. Two down-and-out brothers, Andy and Hank, believe robbing their parent's jewelery store provides a quick fix to their looming problems, including Hank's (Ethan Hawke) child support payments and disdainful treatment from his ex-wife and daughter and Andy's (Phillip Seymour Hoffman) drug addictions, painful marriage and IRS trouble at work. When everything that can go wrong with the robbery does, viewers are left with the aftermath, which builds suspense, empathy and regret to a level no crime drama has ever reached. Expand
  6. WilliamS.
    Nov 16, 2007
    See it for the tatas. Great characters, great acting, great directing, but all overshadowed by Marisa Tomei's babilicious breastitude. If you only see one set of tatas this Christmas, see this movie.
  7. RichardW.
    Nov 17, 2007
    Brilliantly envisioned and executed by a master craftsman with actors at the height of their game.
  8. Tyler
    Nov 23, 2007
    Baby boomer parents, 3 kids, and a tragedy. This is the most nightmarish scenario I could have ever dreamed up happening to a family like mine -- all I can say is I'm lucky to have escaped from, and rediscovered my family. The performances in this movie, especially an Oscar worthy one by PSH, are worth seeing by themselves. Go see this one and then clean your palate with this Baby boomer parents, 3 kids, and a tragedy. This is the most nightmarish scenario I could have ever dreamed up happening to a family like mine -- all I can say is I'm lucky to have escaped from, and rediscovered my family. The performances in this movie, especially an Oscar worthy one by PSH, are worth seeing by themselves. Go see this one and then clean your palate with this year's more lighthearted baby boomer + 3 kids + death in the family movie: The Darjeeling Limited. Thank you. Expand
  9. AlexP.
    Nov 24, 2007
    Best Ensemble Acting I Have Ever Seen. Hoffman's work in particular is the stuff of legend.
  10. BeakB
    Nov 28, 2007
    Very dark movie. It is good though.
  11. MatthewO.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Great flick! I can't believe Lumet is 83 years old. You'll definitely enjoy this very well constructed thriller. Great performances from everyone.
  12. FrankF.
    Dec 1, 2007
    Painful but fascinating cinema. Could not take eyes off screen. Fantastic acting by all. Not for the squeamish. Tradecraft in this film is a 10.
  13. RCR
    Dec 4, 2007
    This is an incredibly engrossing film where the stakes are raised with each successive scene. Hoffman is a virtuoso of pain and rage.
  14. ChadS.
    Dec 15, 2007
    Is there such a thing as an uplifting downer? That can be the only apt way to describe "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead", which to me, plays like "Death of a Salesman" as film noir. A palpable excitement will build inside your cerebral cortex as you watch Andy(Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and Hank(Ethan Hawke) descend into hell. The entire story takes place almost entirely in broad Is there such a thing as an uplifting downer? That can be the only apt way to describe "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead", which to me, plays like "Death of a Salesman" as film noir. A palpable excitement will build inside your cerebral cortex as you watch Andy(Phillip Seymour Hoffman) and Hank(Ethan Hawke) descend into hell. The entire story takes place almost entirely in broad daylight. The dark places are inside their hearts. It's like watching two cockroaches with no place to hide. "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" scorches the screen with old familial resentments and betrayals. There's no redemption for Andy, the ringleader, only comeuppance. The look on Charles' face(Albert Finney's face) is unfatherly, understandable, and unbelievably hateful. For once, the non-linear structure of the screenplay doesn't feel arbitrary. The stops and reverses help amplify and clarify the next great, gut-wrenching pitstop, en route to a wonderfully malevolent realization of catharsis for the vigilante. "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" is a great white-knuckle ride. It will drain you. It's a near-masterpiece. Expand
  15. Nasty
    Jan 1, 2008
    Great movie. Lumet shows at his age that he can direct drastic and emotionally pulverizing film with excellent support from actors Phillip Seymour Hoffman and Ethan Hawke.
  16. AaronM
    Feb 4, 2008
    Very entertaining movie overall. Simple story, but masterfully done. The non-linear, multiple point of view storytelling works wonderfully and it seems Phillip Seymour Hoffman just continues to give great acting performances.
  17. ErnieP.l
    Feb 8, 2008
    Easily Lumet's best film since "The Verdict", but also one of the best films he's ever made.
  18. [Anonymous}
    Feb 24, 2008
    Bizarre premise with superb cast, outrageously funny, with oh so many levels of recognizable relationships,
  19. AlexSassoonC.
    Mar 15, 2008
    A film anchored by a rock-solid central performance from Philip Seymour Hoffman, and not quite undone by Ethan Hawke's acting-by-numbers hackery.
  20. KaseyS.
    Mar 16, 2008
    Grossly overlooked at the Oscars. In a year without "There Will Be Blood" and "No Country for Old Men," this movie would not have been overlooked. Chilling, entertaining, almost Shakespearean melodrama.
  21. JonathanS.
    Mar 17, 2008
    Brilliant; the acting was the best I've seen in some while, the directing marks an incredible mastery by the aging Lumet, and the minor-key score works perfectly in cohesion with the rest of the film. The only thing to note was that the ending-- while the only sensible way to go-- was too predictable, which took away much of the impact; which, in turn, also stole the scenes of its Brilliant; the acting was the best I've seen in some while, the directing marks an incredible mastery by the aging Lumet, and the minor-key score works perfectly in cohesion with the rest of the film. The only thing to note was that the ending-- while the only sensible way to go-- was too predictable, which took away much of the impact; which, in turn, also stole the scenes of its emotional impact due to its predictability, while it still retained its mesmerizing imagery. Though, undoubtedly, for those who somehow did not foresee the conclusion, it was a very emotional ending, but I would like to reccommend to those who thought that this was actually a depressing movie to watch Requiem for a Dream, Darren Aronofsky's masterpiece-- it will sap the will to live out of you, while simultanesouly also being one of the most beautiful films you have ever seen (and while the score on Metacritic is a bit biased, other compilation sites prove the film is a very well-reviewed film, for any who might have doubts.) But as for Before the Devil Knows You're Dead, the verdict remains: it's brilliant, and definitely one of the best under-looked films of 2007. Expand
  22. CJ
    Mar 23, 2008
    A distressing, tense, and and dark character film that is like having a 2 hour long anxiety attack. This twisting and turning story really ratchets up the stress leading to its conclusion. Interestingly, none of the characters are likeable (though well acted). Definatley worth seeing.
  23. PaulC.
    Mar 24, 2008
    ethan hawk and philip Seymour Hoffman take you on rocky journey and you to watch every beautifully tragic moment. Sri k it all in. Even the horrific end. Humor of humanity is smattered throughout.
  24. N@d@Surf
    Apr 16, 2008
    Great movie! Hoffman is GOD!
  25. NicholasS.
    Apr 22, 2008
    Every scene is essential and economical. All the fat has been trimmed and what is left is a story so simple you want to scream at Hoffman and Hawke's characters for not anticipating the outcome. And Marisa Tomei!!! I'm speechless.
  26. TimothyJN.
    Apr 28, 2008
    This is a great movie: it should become a classic. On DVD commentary, director Sidney Lumet continually refers to film as a 'melodrama." Malybe he does this to protect himself, but he should refer to it as a "tragedy." It feels like a Greek tragedy to me, though I haven't quite figured out why yet. Only faults I can find: film--was "filmed" digitally---seems overposed This is a great movie: it should become a classic. On DVD commentary, director Sidney Lumet continually refers to film as a 'melodrama." Malybe he does this to protect himself, but he should refer to it as a "tragedy." It feels like a Greek tragedy to me, though I haven't quite figured out why yet. Only faults I can find: film--was "filmed" digitally---seems overposed (intentionally) in many places and ending probably unslatisfactory for most viewers. Expand
  27. RussH.
    Apr 29, 2008
    What a gem. A dark gem, but a gem.
  28. GonzoG.
    May 10, 2008
    I agree with Timothy JN (above individual critic) that this movie reminds one of a greek tragedy. And it is a perfect, tragic story. The characters are doomed from the begining to the end. The main tragic figure is Andy, and his tragic flaw is drug addiction. The plot spins helplessly /,along with the tragic screams of Andy in his driving home brow beaten by a father, who is pre-destined I agree with Timothy JN (above individual critic) that this movie reminds one of a greek tragedy. And it is a perfect, tragic story. The characters are doomed from the begining to the end. The main tragic figure is Andy, and his tragic flaw is drug addiction. The plot spins helplessly /,along with the tragic screams of Andy in his driving home brow beaten by a father, who is pre-destined to undo the hero. Oh Sophocles where are you when we need you! Expand
  29. KIrkN.
    May 11, 2008
    Fascinating movie from beginning to end. A terrific character study of normal people under desperate times, being influenced by a true monster who wasn't normal to begin with.
  30. AndrewR.
    May 16, 2008
    With a spare and wrenching style, Lumet invests a melodramatic premise with the annihilating power of Greek tragedy.
  31. kyled
    May 23, 2008
    This movies was soo amazing. I cannot believe that it was completely ignored by the Academy. I found this movie better than No Country For Old Men.
  32. DougM.
    Jun 4, 2008
    This was a great movie. Great drama. If you want to see flashing colors or explosions, this movie isn't for you. It is a story that unfolds in a unique way. Great acting. Great story line. Great directing.
  33. BradleyG.
    Jun 8, 2008
    I can't believe that more people have not seen this movie. It is probably the most intense movie that I have ever seen. Some of the best acting coupled with some of the best directing and a killer story has made a movie one should not miss for anything, but I doubt that most have even heard of it.
  34. PaulD.
    Jun 13, 2008
    Good adult crime drama with great performances by all the leads.
  35. JosephL.
    Jun 21, 2008
    Excellent movie. Very depressing, but really well put together.
  36. trfegyhhg
    Jul 24, 2008
    I love this movie, one of my favorites. Hoffman and Hawke do a good job.
  37. Liz
    Oct 18, 2008
    Excellent film!
  38. BettJ.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Great movie. Hoffman is amazing.
  39. BrockN.
    Oct 26, 2007
    Even the cameos (notably Michael Shannon) were outstanding.
  40. JohnP
    Nov 2, 2007
    Amazing movie all around - performances, directing, music. Best work Hawke has ever done. Best nude scenes Tomei has ever done, too ! Hoffman is, of course, riveting. The last half hour will mess you up.
  41. Mar 26, 2011
    What a superb film! Incredibly inpactful and thrilling. Great performances all around, with a beautiful score and amazing writing to go hand in hand with the Sidney Lumet touch. How this film was snubbed for not even a single Oscar nomination, I will never understand. Michael Shannon and Albert Finney bring such great energy and power; Hoffman and Hawke really express the confusion in theWhat a superb film! Incredibly inpactful and thrilling. Great performances all around, with a beautiful score and amazing writing to go hand in hand with the Sidney Lumet touch. How this film was snubbed for not even a single Oscar nomination, I will never understand. Michael Shannon and Albert Finney bring such great energy and power; Hoffman and Hawke really express the confusion in the **** that takes place. The melodramatic performances rarely seem over done because the thrill is amped up to 14. This film physically punched me in the face: no **** Expand
  42. Oct 20, 2012
    The film's opening scene is so well made it quite possibly will never leave my mind. This scene sets the tone for the entire film. Great performances, Great screenplay, but the style may be a bit distracting in places. At a time when thrillers are more about action before the devil knows you're dead comes across as freshly old school.
  43. Jul 22, 2013
    Awesome frickin' movie. Nobody captures the debilitating affects of stress and concern like Philip Seymour Hoffman. He and Ethan Hawke are both great here. This one is a ride. Loved it.

1. His (Sidney Lumet) touch in Before the Devil is so sure, so perfectly weighted, that it’s hard to imagine him capable of making a bad movie. The thing is just enthralling.
    A dynamite film that ranks with the year's best.
  3. Pungently atmospheric, brilliantly textured and featuring superb performances from every performer in parts big and small.