Anchor Bay Entertainment | Release Date: March 16, 2007
8.6
Universal acclaim based on 41 Ratings
Watch Now
JoeT.Mar 17, 2007
Made with an engaging affection/reverence for the slasher greats, BTM never slides into self-referential smugness; instead, it's filled with clever, unpredictable twists, strong performances and a loopy, charming energy. If you love the Made with an engaging affection/reverence for the slasher greats, BTM never slides into self-referential smugness; instead, it's filled with clever, unpredictable twists, strong performances and a loopy, charming energy. If you love the genre, you're going to have a blast watching this. Expand
MikeDJul 2, 2007
Excellent film. I love how they manage to successfully lampoon and pay homage to the horror genre within the same film. It's genuinely funny AND genuinely scary.
KateJ.Feb 4, 2007
This movie way exceeded my expectations....really clever. It's funny and serious/scary at the same time. If you like horror films you have to see this.
C.N.Mar 16, 2007
The initial parody component of is brilliant, though it does lose a bit of heart and steam when the film shifts tones to become that which it is satirizing. I would highly recommend Behind the Mask to lovers of Shaun of the Dead.
MichaelG.Jul 6, 2007
Brilliant! A very creative, original horror movie gem. I never expected it to be this good and was impressed by how well everything played out. It's truly a gift to horror fans. The last half hour consistently delivers the thrills and Brilliant! A very creative, original horror movie gem. I never expected it to be this good and was impressed by how well everything played out. It's truly a gift to horror fans. The last half hour consistently delivers the thrills and surprises. This has a great shot at being the year's best horror movie and it's a must see for anyone who considers themselves a true horror fan. People who aren't big on the genre might even be able to appreciate it. I wish it could have found more success at the Box Office and can only hope it will find many more viewers on DVD. Grade: 9/10 (A-). Expand
SamW.Jan 14, 2007
Best horror movie of the year! By far! It does horror fans right. So brilliant.
RodeoG.Jan 14, 2007
AMAZING! NOTHING MORE CAN SAID.
NickC.Feb 27, 2007
One of the best horror films I have seen in a long time. Creative storyline and talented actors make this a movie you don't want to miss.
KirklandM.Mar 13, 2007
Just fantastic, and I am not even a big horror movie fan - great funny/scary movie!
ryancarroll88Aug 27, 2010
Though it may present itself as such, I don't really see the movie as a mockery of the horror genre but rather an explanation of why the same formula has worked for so long (and uses ubiquitous terms to explain it, such as "Survivor Girl" andThough it may present itself as such, I don't really see the movie as a mockery of the horror genre but rather an explanation of why the same formula has worked for so long (and uses ubiquitous terms to explain it, such as "Survivor Girl" and "Ahab") . If anything, I see it as a criticism of documentary journalists, who often stand by and let horrible things happen in real life without bothering to interfere for the sake of getting an authentic take on camera for a quick buck. But anyway, back to the movie - it's funny, fresh, well-written and still campy enough to please any horror fans. Expand
LordNasebySep 27, 2011
This one is a post-scream Slasher (kinda. It's incredibly low on blood or even onscreen kills) that is incredibly smart. I liked what I saw a lot. For a well worn out genre, this one actually succeeds. It is incredibly original.This one is a post-scream Slasher (kinda. It's incredibly low on blood or even onscreen kills) that is incredibly smart. I liked what I saw a lot. For a well worn out genre, this one actually succeeds. It is incredibly original.

Plot/Characters: The film is like Blair Witch in that the more main characters (That aren't the killer) are pretty much the three characters from Blair Witch. Well acted though for the most part. The only truly original bits come from the aspect of the killer. Now that aspect is truly original and I loved it. The film was generally well acted and the characters were great and a lot of fun to watch (And Robert Englund in any horror film makes the film better to watch). Now, the main non-killer characters aren't as bright as they could be but they are still smarter than your average slasher teens. 8.5/10

Plot: Blair Witch meets Scream meets dissection of the genre. Since Scream came out every film in the Third Age was somehow ripping off of scream. This one is too kinda but it does so in a brilliant manner that I have never seen before and I hope not to see again (because it is so unique and if a film like this came out again, it would be an obvious rip-off). But the plot of this is incredibly intelligent and there were aspects of it that satirized the genre even more than Scream did. I must give it a lot of credit for that. It was a breath of fresh air for me because I have only come across a few truly smart slashers...Pretty much Scream 1 and 2, this and in some ways, the original Nightmare on Elm Street (In terms of basic plot. Most original). The plot of this one was incredibly original. I'm glad I saw it just for the plot. 10/10

Screenplay: Man, this one augmented the plot and made it more fun as opposed to a lot of slashers that may have an original plot (most don't) but the poor screenplay kills it. Not so here. They said things about horror killers that I absolutely adored. Plus there were obvious references galore in this film. Some good subtle ones too. I highly enjoyed listening to the dialogue. It was the best part after the plot. 9/10

Likableness: Heavily likable. If I saw it cheap enough I would buy it in a heartbeat. I absolutely adore original and intelligent slasher films so this one is a must have for me at some point in the future and a MUST SEE FOR ANY FAN OF HORROR!!! I liked it a lot and I would certainly re-watch it again and again. 9/10

Final Score: 36.5/40 91% (N)

TRIVIA TIME: 1. The first time Taylor interviews Eugene and his wife, a Lament Configuration puzzle box from Hellraiser can be seen sitting on a table.

2. Doc Halloran's wardrobe (and beard) is nearly identical to that of Donald Pleasence's character Doctor Loomis from the Halloween films.

3. When Leslie is applying his makeup while being interviewed about his target, the song playing in the background is the same as that heard at the end of The Shining: ''Midnight, The Stars and You,'' sung by Al Bowlly with the Ray Noble Orchestra, 1934.

4. Kane Hodder (Jason Voorhees), in seen walking into 1428 Elm Street. This was the address that Nancy lived in, in the original A Nightmare on Elm Street.
TTW107Apr 6, 2012
This film is pure movie making genius. It does what Scream did for the genre but in a much more indie way. Should truly be a part of any horror fan's movie collection.
kuehnauMay 28, 2016
A fantastic take on the slasher genre of horror films, film students follow around, interview and film the life, times and process of a urban legend slasher as he plots and plans his own legend in a small sleepy town.

The movie attempts to

The movie attempts to make commentary on the hows and whys of the life of a horror movie slasher. The movie makes references to classics such as Friday the 13th, Halloween and even Nightmare on Elm Street.

A fairly well paced movie, funny at times, but equally full of violence and action, there's a slight twist at the end that makes the movie even more enjoyable. Viewers should make sure to watch the rolling credits ending as well for a extra surprise.
LuciusMcGibbonDec 8, 2012
Brings unparalleled freshness to the slasher genre simply by poking fun at it. And somehow, the movie makes the transition from documentary to actual scare picture with great rhyme and reason. The whole project smacks of its ownBrings unparalleled freshness to the slasher genre simply by poking fun at it. And somehow, the movie makes the transition from documentary to actual scare picture with great rhyme and reason. The whole project smacks of its own self-awareness, which is a good thing for the viewer because there's virtually no way for a slasher movie to take itself seriously any more without turning into a bad joke. Expand