6.9

1. kinnithj
    Sep 15, 2009
    This is one of the most gripping and interesting films I've ever seen. its just so deep with its many metaphors and it really makes the viewer think. I watched the film then immediately bought the book and read it two times back-to-back. It is just that interesting!
  2. May 6, 2011
    A harrowing drama-ghost story which serves as a metaphor for the ugliness of past sins still haunting the present. Truly disturbing film-making, full of grief and anguish that everyone tries to hide under the surface, but it all comes out in the end. Thandie Newton gave one of the best performances ever filmed, and the rest of the cast is nearly as riveting. This is a difficult film in aA harrowing drama-ghost story which serves as a metaphor for the ugliness of past sins still haunting the present. Truly disturbing film-making, full of grief and anguish that everyone tries to hide under the surface, but it all comes out in the end. Thandie Newton gave one of the best performances ever filmed, and the rest of the cast is nearly as riveting. This is a difficult film in a sense, but also very poetic and ultimately joyous. I highly recommend it. Expand

1. Jonathan Demme's potent adaptation of Morrison's novel may be substantial, but it is also engrossing, a movie that plays at times like a combination of “Gone With The Wind” and “The Exorcist.”
    When the movie isn't hitting us over the head, it's spooning out the material to us like broth to an invalid, drop by flavorless drop. The excruciating pace mirrors the sluggishness of Morrison's sonorous prose.
    Dutiful as it is, Jonathan Demme's Beloved doesn't succeed so much as it abides…it moves in leisurely fits and--unencumbered by style or narrative complexity--never loses its forward momentum.