7.5

May 14, 2003
    It's a crap film.
  2. Lassister
    Aug 11, 2003
    Sorry, Charlie but after one hour of the same plot repeated over and over I walked out of the theater. I understand that the mother did not want her daughter playing soccer for cultural reasons, but then the same storyline got to the point where it was boring. Not my cup of tea. Sorry.
  3. Fantasy
    Aug 16, 2003
    Lassister I'm with you. I just saw this movie based on all the good reviews. Although it is not a bad movie, you are correct that it is the same scene repeated over and over. I had a very difficult time as it seemed tedious and predictable throughout.
  4. KuniD.
    Sep 29, 2003
    Cheesy movie all the way! I have grown up watching Indian movies and I know what is good and what is not more or less. This movie has good reviews but I just don't get it. It is cheesy all the way. Monsoon Wedding and ofcourse LAGAAN is way better. Even the Indian families living in UK are shown to be so strict when in reality, it is a rare case. It is just too much of naty Cheesy movie all the way! I have grown up watching Indian movies and I know what is good and what is not more or less. This movie has good reviews but I just don't get it. It is cheesy all the way. Monsoon Wedding and ofcourse LAGAAN is way better. Even the Indian families living in UK are shown to be so strict when in reality, it is a rare case. It is just too much of naty cheesiness......(who knows you might like it though. I didn'ttt!) Expand
  5. JaredG.
    Mar 23, 2004
    This movie was terrible i had to put the captions on and turn up my tv and i still didn't understand what they were saying. this movie was garbage. who cares if keira knightley was in it. It still sucked!
  6. RalfJ.
    Jul 8, 2005
    Very cheesy movie, predictable, full of lame stereotypes. The Indian director thinks she is a genius, I'm afraid not hun. Very dissapointing movie; way over-hyped and waste of brain cells. It could of at least had 200 Indians breaking out in one of those stupid dances! :)
  7. L.G.
    Oct 27, 2003
    Every tired cliche is pulled out of the bag for this one. You name it, it's in there. An incredibly predictable bore. And the gay character's "coming out" to the main character is done in such an immature way as to be unworthy of even the worst high school theatre class melodrama. "I like Beckham. No, I REALLY like Beckham." Ah, you must be gay, then. Gotcha. Skip this one.
  8. ScottS.
    May 21, 2003
    This movie was just awful. It wasn't funny, it wasn't even fun. The way it portrayed overacted stereotypes was bad. The storyline was familiar and predictable, only it was set in an Indian family. In what was an attempt to be an ethnic comedy worthy of My Big Fat Greek Wedding comparisons, Bend It Like Beckham failed in every way.
  9. SunnyS.
    Mar 28, 2004
    Crappy film that emphasizes on stereotypes and making cultural traditions seem silly. I'm actually Indian (Sikh to be exact) and I find the film offensive as it promotes the wrong kind of stereotypes. Even then, this was a poor excuse for a comedy, no real punchlines or significant points. The only remote thing that was remotely was the guy admitting he was gay which even that was Crappy film that emphasizes on stereotypes and making cultural traditions seem silly. I'm actually Indian (Sikh to be exact) and I find the film offensive as it promotes the wrong kind of stereotypes. Even then, this was a poor excuse for a comedy, no real punchlines or significant points. The only remote thing that was remotely was the guy admitting he was gay which even that was quite poor. If you want to watch a real comedy based on Asians (Indians/Pakistanis) go watch "East Is East." Expand
  10. C.B.
    Nov 21, 2003
    The most offensive stereotypes are the way that women are portrayed. the moms are ninnies. even the sports girls need men to rescue them -- dads to intercede with the ninny moms; gay cousin to intercede with the dads, and male coach to make them stars. oh, yeah, these female sports heroes have to have cat fight over the male coach. what a shame this is touted as a role model movie forThe most offensive stereotypes are the way that women are portrayed. the moms are ninnies. even the sports girls need men to rescue them -- dads to intercede with the ninny moms; gay cousin to intercede with the dads, and male coach to make them stars. oh, yeah, these female sports heroes have to have cat fight over the male coach. what a shame this is touted as a role model movie for young girls. Expand
  11. EthanP.
    Dec 14, 2004
    So forgettable. I can't even remember why it was so bad.

1. Director and co-writer Gurinder Chadha continues in the vein of her previous movies, "What's Cooking?" and "Bhaji on the Beach," exploring with humor and compassion how cultures adapt in foreign climes.
  2. Lightweight, thoroughly charming fluff.
    Bend It Like Beckham is supposedly a movie about youth; its biggest shortcoming is that it rarely feels young.