Bernie

7.3

1. Aug 29, 2012
    It was a pretty solid move that is helped greatly by the wonderful performance by Jack Black. The biggest problem I had was that there was really very little of the actual plot. The film largely oonsisted of numerous actors/actresses discussing things that Bernie does and what he is like, what his relationship is like with the female lead. That was a little disapointing because Black'sIt was a pretty solid move that is helped greatly by the wonderful performance by Jack Black. The biggest problem I had was that there was really very little of the actual plot. The film largely oonsisted of numerous actors/actresses discussing things that Bernie does and what he is like, what his relationship is like with the female lead. That was a little disapointing because Black's performance was so good that it really should have been expanded on and he should have had more dialogue and better interaction with the female lead as well.

Overall, It was a solid movie. A decently made film that is worth checking out.
  2. May 29, 2012
    This film was not dark enough for me. I found it biased toward the Bernie character as it skirted the issue of homosexuality and I did not believe at all his excuse for killing the 81 year old woman. The movie would have been more appealing if it had been slightly more detailed and graphic. I wanted to know more about the relationship not just skimming the surface. I did enjoy the approachThis film was not dark enough for me. I found it biased toward the Bernie character as it skirted the issue of homosexuality and I did not believe at all his excuse for killing the 81 year old woman. The movie would have been more appealing if it had been slightly more detailed and graphic. I wanted to know more about the relationship not just skimming the surface. I did enjoy the approach of using the town people to tell the story but that make it more of a light comedy not a dark comedy. Still, it intrigued me enough to go home and search the internet for information on the murder. I side with the district attorney that Bernie is not such a harmless guy. Original but it could have been so much better. Expand
  3. May 10, 2013
    Way overrated. There are a couple of amusing moments, but it's just pointless overall. It' drags the least important scenes on forever. Jack Black is the movie's anchor and is funnier in the role than anyone else could probably be but the movie surrounding him is just so... boring. It could have been hilarious, but is far from it. Not recommended.
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    This film came as a surprise to me. A disappointing surprise. First of all the film is not a comedy and i expected much more for the director of School of Rock. The film is based on true events but the movie is still bad. I saw the good reviews and I thought that it would be funny as hell as Jack Black was on the cast. Jack Black impressed me with his magnificent performance. That's theThis film came as a surprise to me. A disappointing surprise. First of all the film is not a comedy and i expected much more for the director of School of Rock. The film is based on true events but the movie is still bad. I saw the good reviews and I thought that it would be funny as hell as Jack Black was on the cast. Jack Black impressed me with his magnificent performance. That's the best thing on that film ,despite the fact I watched that movie in order to laugh.This is certainly on of the worst films of 2012 and it looked more like a documentary or a reality -tv show. It did not seem like a movie. Thumbs up ONLY for Jack Black. 4/10 for that reason because only his performance is extraordinary. Expand
  5. Feb 6, 2014
    Bernie is a film that lives and dies on Jack Black's blade. Those who want Black to be no more than a bumbling fat man, will find no enjoyment in this film for this is Black's attempt to be a little something more and kudos on his effort it is enjoyable to watch him. Linklater continues to push his attempts at being different and I happy to see him trying to work around the system as bestBernie is a film that lives and dies on Jack Black's blade. Those who want Black to be no more than a bumbling fat man, will find no enjoyment in this film for this is Black's attempt to be a little something more and kudos on his effort it is enjoyable to watch him. Linklater continues to push his attempts at being different and I happy to see him trying to work around the system as best he can. As for McConaughey this is the performance that brought a man's career back from the dead and it is always a pleasure to see an actor prove you wrong.
    What makes the film entertaining is sadly what also hurts it cinematically and this is the interviews and cuts with the locals.
    The film if one is into dark comedies should warrant an entertainment value of a 7.5, but on the Poe Scale it is a 6.5.

Acting: 1/2
    Cinematography: 1/2
    Editing: 1.5/2
    Effects and Design 1/2
    Writing: 2/2
  6. May 3, 2014
    While Bernie's script contains some dialogue that doesn't truly fit with the pleasant scenery of Carthage, TX, the film also contains a very genuine template and very earnest acting talent that is undeniable.

1. Reviewed by: Dave Calhoun
    Apr 29, 2013
    If the crime element feels like little more than a red herring, it’s the characters that give the film its appeal.
  2. Reviewed by: Andrew Pulver
    Apr 26, 2013
    Black's performance is a revelation: foregoing his usual repertoire of jiggling, tics and head-waggling craziness, Black ensures Tiede is a satirical creation of considerable substance. Really impressive.
  3. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    May 24, 2012
    The question of why the law must always be upheld, regardless of consequences, gives this light, amiable movie a surprising heft and weight. You don't want to see Bernie sent to prison - the world is a better place without that mean old shrew - but murder is murder, right?