7.5

1. AndherewehaveaMulroneycakehound.Notehowglossytheco
    Jan 19, 2003
    The genius of this film is the details. Those people who gave it red (or even yellow) scores must have the attention span of a goldfish. Which is dead. And was particularly stupid when it was alive. Most of the jokes grow from the dialogue so naturally that you won't notice they're there unless you look (Except for the Announcer Guy and his wonderfully stoical British sidekick, The genius of this film is the details. Those people who gave it red (or even yellow) scores must have the attention span of a goldfish. Which is dead. And was particularly stupid when it was alive. Most of the jokes grow from the dialogue so naturally that you won't notice they're there unless you look (Except for the Announcer Guy and his wonderfully stoical British sidekick, who are hillarious on as many levels as you like). The thing is, when we get to the prize-giving, you - alright, I - actually CARED who was going to win, so well fleshed-out were the characters. Even with everything Ebert says in the first paragraph of his review in mind, I still like a lot of the sods. Cuh. What a great movie. Expand
  2. PatC.
    Jan 10, 2004
    It's an inside joke. Really helps if you know someone who's obsessed with animals. (Those of you who are will take it as seriously as Shakespearian tragedy.) Unintentionally the most authentic of the mockumentaries.
  3. TommiM.
    Aug 2, 2001
    The whole family loved this one.....from ages 5 to 74.
  4. MichaelM.
    Oct 23, 2004
    Once again Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy bring us a hit comedy that surprisingly surpasses the marvelous independent feature 'Waiting For Guffman'. This film is not only the best mockumentary ever made, but most likely the best comedy ever made, from two very important aspects = 1) It makes you laugh repeatedly & 2) It has a wonderful idea that no film writer besides Guest Once again Christopher Guest and Eugene Levy bring us a hit comedy that surprisingly surpasses the marvelous independent feature 'Waiting For Guffman'. This film is not only the best mockumentary ever made, but most likely the best comedy ever made, from two very important aspects = 1) It makes you laugh repeatedly & 2) It has a wonderful idea that no film writer besides Guest and Levy has yet to explore as a comedy. They both do a wonderful job writing the screenplay, and Guest does an excellent job directing. The acting is pure excellence with the comedy talents of such actors as Catherine O'Hara, Parker Posey, Eugene Levy, Christopher Guest, Fred Willard, Michael McKean, John Michael Higgins, Michael Hitchcock, Jennifer Coolidge and Jane Lynch. This is such an excellent film that cannot be praised enough. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a hilarious and well made film about pretentious dog owners and their dogs. (2/21/03) Expand
  5. CCH.
    Jul 2, 2001
    Very few funny moments. Big disappointment. With all the critical acclaim, I expected a halfway decent movie. Instead, I got 90 minutes of BO-RING. The characters are not funny - just pathetic losers. I actually began to feel sorry for the dogs, whose only purpose is to win shows and make money for their owners.
  6. DerekW.
    Jul 6, 2002
    Unlike spinal tap, I couldn't connect with any of these characters. While they're all odd, I never really cared about them; and just found their ongoing disfunctional interactions painful to watch. Got this movie from the library, and based on the creases in the tape, it doesn't look like anyone made it to the end. (Myself included.)
  7. GilC.
    Jun 23, 2001
    Apparently I saw a completely different film than the rest of the world. No laughs, no surprises, nothing new to anybody who ever saw any "sctv" or any bad improv show. The actors did schtick and characatures more than portraying real people, and there was no reason to care about any of them. Catherine O'hara, Eugene Levy, Chris Guest, I had seen all of that stuff before on other tv Apparently I saw a completely different film than the rest of the world. No laughs, no surprises, nothing new to anybody who ever saw any "sctv" or any bad improv show. The actors did schtick and characatures more than portraying real people, and there was no reason to care about any of them. Catherine O'hara, Eugene Levy, Chris Guest, I had seen all of that stuff before on other tv shows they did. I didn't laugh once and in fact I walked out (of the room) before the video finished. Expand
  8. Eileen
    Aug 29, 2002
    It sucked It's the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. You people who give it tens are insaine because it SUCKED ASS.
  9. Katherine
    Jul 24, 2006
    Yes I gave it an 8. While there were parts that made me laugh alot, I just could not really get into it. It's a great movie though.
  10. PhilM.
    Feb 25, 2001
    Great fun! The actors act like the breed of dogs they own, but are much more neurotic! Don't miss.
  11. MitchR.
    Jun 22, 2001
    I can't remember the last move I watched that made me laugh out loud so many times and smile all the way home.
  12. ChapinS.
    Jul 6, 2001
    Why does everyone think this movie is so funny? The jokes are cliche and the script is the same as "Waiting for Gufman" except the scene is different. I had a couple of chuckles but no belly laughs. Another film pointing to the sad state of American cinema today.
  13. WilmaD.
    Aug 12, 2001
    If you have a dog you will love this movie as you will be able to relate. And if you have grown up on SCTV you will love loopy.
  14. CaesarR.
    Sep 4, 2001
    This movie is so funny. I can not believe that everyone who watched this did not give it a 10+ (they must have no sense of humor) and when they compare it to the other things that Chris Guest has done... Well that is why it is funny because it is like other things he has done (if you ask me this one goes to 11)... Keep um coming corky (we want you to live).
  15. JamesD.A.,Jr.
    Mar 12, 2002
    I own the film and have watched it already five or six times in the past two weeks. It is simply hilarious. The people are funnier than the dogs and the writing by Christopher Guest is comedic genius. The film is as funny as my favorite comedy, "Ruthless People."
  16. MovieBuff
    Jun 24, 2002
    The brilliance of the film lies in the slew of shockingly accurate portrayals, especially the easily glossed-over, yet priceless moments that kept my laughter rolling throughout ("We could talk, or not-talk, forever" ; The prideful open-mouth braces-twins ; " '...melon breasts.' 'Oh, Thank you Gerry! Thank you!") as well as the writer-director's ability to point out The brilliance of the film lies in the slew of shockingly accurate portrayals, especially the easily glossed-over, yet priceless moments that kept my laughter rolling throughout ("We could talk, or not-talk, forever" ; The prideful open-mouth braces-twins ; " '...melon breasts.' 'Oh, Thank you Gerry! Thank you!") as well as the writer-director's ability to point out those ridiculous displays of humanity we can all identify with, while avoiding the more caustic mockery seen in something like "Waiting for Guffman" or "Bottle Rockets". The film has us fall in love with the imperfections of people we sometimes cannot endure, and the unsurmountable majesty of the crowning moment offered the purest glimpse of esctasy I've ever felt from a film. Expand
  17. Eliot
    Aug 8, 2005
    Best. Movie. Ever.
  18. Rick
    May 18, 2001
    Great movie! Hilarious! Obviously Ted C. had a stick up his but when he rated the movie. Basically he said it was crap yet still gave it a 6. So you can tell that even those of you who don't find the comedy funny will generally like it. If you're a fan of animal movies, you'll most definitely laugh throughout this entire movie. Definite laughs at the dogs as well as at the Great movie! Hilarious! Obviously Ted C. had a stick up his but when he rated the movie. Basically he said it was crap yet still gave it a 6. So you can tell that even those of you who don't find the comedy funny will generally like it. If you're a fan of animal movies, you'll most definitely laugh throughout this entire movie. Definite laughs at the dogs as well as at the characters and the lives they lead. Christopher Guest plays a great part, and my personal favorite was the off-the-cuff remarks of the broadcaster (played by Fred Willard). Overall, a terrific movie, and definitely one to watch with the friends and loved ones! Expand
  19. TedB.
    Jul 16, 2001
    Boring and unfunny. Waste of a very good cast.
  20. TomL.
    Nov 29, 2002
    The best is guest when it comes to satires!!!!
  21. MovieBuff
    Jun 24, 2002
  22. LucyK
    Nov 26, 2005
    This 'mockumentary' does an exellent job of what it sets out to do: make people laugh, and make those same people want to attend a dog show.
  23. Sep 3, 2010
    As usual with Christopher Guest, the attention to detail is brilliant. The characters are all slightly odd but very, very real & Fred Willard is just amazing.
    His line about his proctologist is up there with the greatest comedy quotes.
  24. Jul 18, 2011
    A must see movie for anyone with pets and a sense of humor. They nailed satire perfectly. As I read reviews here though i see a lot of people didn't relate to the characters, I guess that's why I say this movie is for people who have pets that deep down they know they pamper them way too much.
  25. Jan 30, 2012
    This is a masterpiece of humour! Once again I am puzzled by the negative reviews here. It is a delightful caricature made to look like a documentary.

Just isn't as fresh, focused or uniformly funny as "Waiting for Guffman."
    It's got enough hilarious moments that, all in all, the film's bite is as toothsome as its bark.
  3. When it's funny, Best is hilarious.