Best Man Down

tbd

No user score yet- Awaiting 1 more rating

1. Jul 4, 2016
    How one sad event that changed many peoples' lives.

How one sad event that changed many peoples' lives.

Originally it was known as 'Lumpy', but this new title seems much better. Even though this title name is somewhat misleading regarding the film subject. I saw it a couple of years delayed, because I was not interested after knowing the title thinking it might be some kind of a silly B comedy. Surprisingly, this was one of the best films of the 2013 I've seen. This is not a comedy alone as it was classified, but a beautiful semi-emotional drama just like the film 'The Guilt Trip'.

The cast was so good, I loved everyone's performances. But in the opening, it looked like a mindless comedy with dumb characters. Only while the film progress, it slowly developed many awesome plots and I was totally impressed with it, especially for the way it ended. Yep, it concluded on a high note compared to the ordinary initiation. I think credit should go the writer-come-director, as well as the actors.

It was a two layered narration that sets in two different cities where one of it was a flashback, but both of them meets during the middle. So what comes later was the best segment. The second half is what made this film a better product. This is not an extraordinary film, but for a small project and its not so popular cast, it really excelled my expectation.

Well maintained suspense, and I don't think anybody could guess them out that easily. Till the final scene, it'll keep you alive, especially if you like melodrama you'll surely enjoy it better than others. Lately Justin Long has been doing some of the interesting small-scale films and this is one of them that you should try it if you're a film fanatic without barriers in viewing any category films.

7.5/10

1. Reviewed by: Odie Henderson
    Nov 8, 2013
    Best Man Down is billed as a "warm and funny comedy," a subjective description with which I do not agree. I would not consider this a comedy, let alone a warm and funny one. There are no laughs, and most attempts at humor are mean-spirited or embarrassing.
  2. Reviewed by: Tomas Hachard
    Nov 4, 2013
    While it tries to relate a story about the sloppiness of life, the way best-laid plans can go wrong in an instant, its script is neatly and tidily structured.
    Writer-director Ted Koland can be a little obvious. It’s not a deep movie. But everybody, especially Ramsey, is dealing with something. And Timlin (TV’s “Zero Hour”) gives heart to this wonderful, nuanced character.