7.2

1. PaulTR
    Feb 13, 2004
    The only reason I didn't give this film the full 10 is because I simply couldn't enjoy its ending. It left me uneasy. It shook me to the core, which is what makes it so brilliant. It takes a nightmarish trip into suburbia hell and doesn't let go, even after drawing blood. There's no waking up and no turning back. It's a scary feeling. Innocence lost and reality The only reason I didn't give this film the full 10 is because I simply couldn't enjoy its ending. It left me uneasy. It shook me to the core, which is what makes it so brilliant. It takes a nightmarish trip into suburbia hell and doesn't let go, even after drawing blood. There's no waking up and no turning back. It's a scary feeling. Innocence lost and reality shattered. And how does it end? It doesn't, not really. That's somewhat left to the audience, but without leaving them feeling cheated. As a teen that hopes never to cross the line, I could relate to these characters more than I would've cared to. That's powerful cinema. Expand
  2. MaxwellS.
    Aug 11, 2003
    This movie blew me away. It is spectacular with its message and the entertaining way in which it delivers it. If you haven't seen this, make sure you rent, or buy, it on September 30th. One of the best films of the year thus far and a worthy candidate for at least a bit of Oscar consideration.
  3. RyanB.
    Oct 11, 2003
    This was a great movie all around. The characters were funny and you could draw something from everyone of them and apply it to yourself. The music was excellent and a lot of first time actors did a helluva job.
  4. LisaD.
    Apr 29, 2003
    As an Asian American myself, I was VERY PROUD that this movie came out, an all-Asian American casted film. I'm very surprised and happy that the film made it this far. The film reminded me of some things about Pulp Fiction (for some of its narrative techniques, and the dark, twisted story) and also Snatch, just seeing the type of camera shots/graphics that took place. Their dialogue As an Asian American myself, I was VERY PROUD that this movie came out, an all-Asian American casted film. I'm very surprised and happy that the film made it this far. The film reminded me of some things about Pulp Fiction (for some of its narrative techniques, and the dark, twisted story) and also Snatch, just seeing the type of camera shots/graphics that took place. Their dialogue was sometimes cocky, but I think it's more accurate that way because I think that's how many high school kids are, they want to look/sound cool. (I just graduated from high school in '96 and I too, have attended a prestigious private college so I know.) You also really get into the protagonist's psyche. It makes you think like a high school student, that high school/college is your whole world--when it's only just a gateway. It's way better than most Hollywood movies out now and I was very pleased. It would be great to see more films like this one that present Asian Americans as REAL characters. Expand
  5. PonR.
    Jul 7, 2005
    It took its chances and came out a winner. Anyone who criticizes its "phoney" depiction of criminals is watching movies for the wrong reason and needs to (1) have their citizenship revoked and (2) move to a deserted island and live in a cave so as not to impede human progress any further. This is big step up from the usual teen fair and I applaud it for challenging the status quo.
  6. DasP
    Jun 27, 2009
    A great, accurate movie. the scary part is that I know that myself and my fellow Asians feel Ben's anger and frustration quite often, and sometimes all the time.
  7. JoannaW.
    Nov 29, 2003
    Brilliantly shot, nicely scripted, and entertaining. It's refreshing to see Asians in a movie that aren't doing nails or calculating something. In regard to the controversial moral aspect of the film, I would hope that viewers would watch the film with their own personal ethics well set.
  8. SeanK.
    Oct 9, 2003
    Great movie!
  9. B.D.
    Mar 19, 2004
    Beautiful, introspective, elegant. Wish there were more like it.
  10. BillR.
    Nov 25, 2003
    Easily the best movie of the year, a terrific cast with an ending that blows you away.
  11. CHRISTYK.
    Dec 8, 2003
    I loved this movie very much. I think its a relief to finally see asians on tv because you don't see quite of them. Asians need to be out in the open! They are equally qualified as the rest of us. =)
  12. DonutJ.
    Dec 8, 2003
    Dis movie was crazy!! kept me excited from beginning till da end it's worth seeing and as a asian person myself it's good to see how crazy some of us can really get. AZN PRIDE!!!!
  13. EltonP.
    Apr 29, 2003
    I really love this movie. The thing you have to keep in mind though is that this isn't some teen movie and it isn't a movie you go to just for something to gawk at, it's a great artistic accomplishment in my opinion. I'm not an artsy person, but this movie had some deep-seeded themes reinforced with powerful turns in the plot. Many people have issues with plot I really love this movie. The thing you have to keep in mind though is that this isn't some teen movie and it isn't a movie you go to just for something to gawk at, it's a great artistic accomplishment in my opinion. I'm not an artsy person, but this movie had some deep-seeded themes reinforced with powerful turns in the plot. Many people have issues with plot progression and the ending, which I won't reveal but it's open ended FOR A REASON. People that don't like the ending probably didn't even understand the movie for what it was. It's not a sterotypical low brow drama, rather it's an intricate series of decisions representing what people are possible of when they're pushed too far. My main issues were with the acting (could've been better at times) and how slow it moved, but otherwise I enjoyed it a lot and look forward to buying it on DVD so I can watch it again and again. Expand
  14. DaveS.
    Apr 29, 2003
    Very clever. Loved the movie.
  15. GilbertP.
    Nov 22, 2003
    At first, i would've given it a 7.. simply because it was so moderately done.. but after watching it several times later, i found a lot of artistic atributes that may have easily gone unnoticed. this was an AWESOME film.

Though it doesn't fully transcend its small budget (the lighting is dingy), the story feels rooted in something more solid than prefab posturing.
  2. The film lacks a single emotionally authentic moment.
  3. Reviewed by: Ken Fox
    The end result is a series of stylish vignettes, some entertaining and all variations on essentially the same theme.