Bewitched

5.5

1. TonyB.
    Oct 28, 2005
    A waste of time for those who made it and for those who sat through it, Bewitched has to be one of the big disappointments of 2005. Shirley Maclaine and Michael Caine must stop playing themselves, and Will Ferrell is a bore. Fortunately, Nicole Kidman, the highlight of this dud, can't seem to do anything wrong, even when confonted with essentially worthless material.
  2. NoraE.
    Jun 27, 2005
    I'm sorry. This didn't turn out as well as we had hoped. A groovy little postpostmodernist idea that got way out of hand. Granted, it's not as bad as You've Got Mail, but that's not saying a lot. All in all, it was a movie - 24 frames per second, sync sound, persistance of vision, all that. I promise to do better next time or at least nail some A-listers to the I'm sorry. This didn't turn out as well as we had hoped. A groovy little postpostmodernist idea that got way out of hand. Granted, it's not as bad as You've Got Mail, but that's not saying a lot. All in all, it was a movie - 24 frames per second, sync sound, persistance of vision, all that. I promise to do better next time or at least nail some A-listers to the wall in hopes of striking a tiny gold mine, one that will be relegated to some crappy Sunday Afternoon time slot quicker than you can wiggle your nose. Expand
  3. Berna
    Jun 27, 2005
    The 3 points i give for this movie is only for Will Ferrel's comedic act. Nicole Kidman's accent is hideous, so is the chemistry between the two. I mean I sensed she really didn't want to even kiss Will Ferrel when she finds out he loves her too. Anyway, what a waste of time!
  4. germang.
    Jun 27, 2005
    One of the worst movies I've seen in a loooong while. too bad for Nichole, a beautiful actress.
  5. WesleyJ
    Aug 5, 2005
    Worse movie of the year. I'm just glad that I still had my popcorn bag with me so that I could throw-up half way through the movie and then leave.
  6. GregT.
    Nov 3, 2005
    Oh My God!! When you look up "lame" in the dictionary, you see a trailer for this movie. Horrendous unfunny slapstick.
  7. BeckyS.
    Jun 27, 2005
    I was utterly disappointed with the Nicole Kidman/Will Ferrell version of Bewitched. In my opinion, Nicole Kidman could not carry the lead. I found her character annoying, and completely unconvincing as a breathy/childishly innocent witch. Will Ferrell wasn't quite as disasterous, but still completely wrong for the part. Furthermore, he shows himself as an actor with absolutely no I was utterly disappointed with the Nicole Kidman/Will Ferrell version of Bewitched. In my opinion, Nicole Kidman could not carry the lead. I found her character annoying, and completely unconvincing as a breathy/childishly innocent witch. Will Ferrell wasn't quite as disasterous, but still completely wrong for the part. Furthermore, he shows himself as an actor with absolutely no range as he played the exact same character in "Elf" a few years ago. Someone should have told him that character didn't work so well for this roll. Equally miscast were Kidman's cooky neighbor and friend that just didn't make any sense, or add anything but annoyance to the plot. Endora was a big disappointment as well. In the original, Endora was probably one of the most loved characters, and it would have been better to just leave her out entirely than have some other type of character fill her roll. A few elements that did work in the film were the actors that played Uncle Arthur, aunt Clara and Gladys and Abner Cravitz. These characters were brilliantly done, and should have been given more screen time as they were the last saving graces of the film. Expand
  8. Joe
    Jul 14, 2005
    Bewitchingly dreadful! What a waste of talent. It does not even qualify as "a chick flick", save your money and watch Nickelodeon for free.
  9. LaurenS.
    Jul 5, 2005
    Eh, save this one for the dollar shows. some funny moments but overall boring and lifeless.
  10. Richie
    Jul 7, 2005
    Yuk! Enough said.
  11. AnnieE
    Oct 29, 2005
    Bad enough to have to sit through this dog once on an eastbound flight, but then to get it again on the westbound flight was indeed 'cruel and unusual punishment.' Couldn't even walk out! Let's have some new stories, not just re-imaging or whatever the latest term might be.
  12. elizabeth
    Jun 22, 2005
    What a huge waste of time...stay home and watch Elizabeth Montgomery.
  13. Jones
    Jun 24, 2005
    I threw up in my mouth a little.
  14. Supersean
    Jun 25, 2005
    A couple good lines by will and jason schwatrzmen, but I was extremely dissapointed with stephen colbert, they didn't give him any lines! And the hilarious stephen corell was given crappy lines. They had some of the funniest people in one spot, and then gave them all crappy lines, and nicole kidman, why was she so brainless? It was a train wreck. I was so dissapointed.
  15. TyroneW
    Jun 27, 2005
    Even it's DVD will be a waste of good plastic.
  16. AnnieB.
    Jun 28, 2005
    Nicole Kidman really needs to get lessons on how to speak with an American accent if she is going to play an American character. Also, she really couldn't carry the lead at all. Her character was completely uninterresting, and I couldn't wait for this movie to be over. I honestly don't know how Nicole Kidman could make an interesting character like a witch be so boring and Nicole Kidman really needs to get lessons on how to speak with an American accent if she is going to play an American character. Also, she really couldn't carry the lead at all. Her character was completely uninterresting, and I couldn't wait for this movie to be over. I honestly don't know how Nicole Kidman could make an interesting character like a witch be so boring and annoying. Also, the plot was completely off the wall, and the characters that were of any interest to anyone only seemed to have cameo appearances (Uncle Arthur, Aunt Clara, Gladys and Abner Cravitz etc.). All in all, save your money, and don't bother going to see this movie. Expand
  17. ChadS.
    Aug 22, 2005
    Nicole Kidman is capable of being very funny. When Kidman guest-hosted SNL, she and Mike Myers played children, and her schoolyard temptress character who tries to seduce a hypoglycemic Myers with a chocolate bar was very winning. In "Bewitched", Kidman looks embarrassed in some of her scenes with Will Ferrell, especially the one where Isabel, under the spell of a love potion, joins Jack Nicole Kidman is capable of being very funny. When Kidman guest-hosted SNL, she and Mike Myers played children, and her schoolyard temptress character who tries to seduce a hypoglycemic Myers with a chocolate bar was very winning. In "Bewitched", Kidman looks embarrassed in some of her scenes with Will Ferrell, especially the one where Isabel, under the spell of a love potion, joins Jack Wyatt in song on a building roof under stars. Kidman isn't able to keep up with Ferrell's volatile silliness, and needed director Nora Ephron to step in and ask the SNL alumnus to dial it down a notch, or two. Perhaps, Cameron Diaz would know how to complement Ferrell. "Bewitched" was probably the wrong vehicle to show how the runaway ego of an A-list star can sink a television or film project. The idea of a Darren-centric take on "Bewitched" that could actually make its way onto a network fall lineup is too unbelievable, even for a comedy. Expand
  18. mattA.
    Jun 22, 2005
    Why is Nora Ephron making films? How on God's green earth did she ever land a job making films in the first place? I only give this film a one and not a zero because I feel bad for Will Ferrell and because Nicole Kidman is hot. The script is so bad I wouldn't have been surprised if I found out that Delia Ephron was Nora's eight year old daughter. Seriously shocking that a Why is Nora Ephron making films? How on God's green earth did she ever land a job making films in the first place? I only give this film a one and not a zero because I feel bad for Will Ferrell and because Nicole Kidman is hot. The script is so bad I wouldn't have been surprised if I found out that Delia Ephron was Nora's eight year old daughter. Seriously shocking that a film this bad was not only made, but that $100 million was spent on it. Expand
  19. TomD.
    Jun 22, 2005
    Fight or flight, it's as simple as that. This cinematic pile of dirty socks and wifebeaters is Fear Factor's worst enemy.
  20. Chan
    It's horrible. period.
  21. TylerD.
    Jun 23, 2005
    Contemptable junk. Clearly written, acted and directed for the lowest common denominator. The Caucasian "Soul Plane." Horrid putrid and most of all, not funny. A waste of Nicole, Caine and Schwartzman. Ferrell is his usual over-the-top ("Hey mommy look...I'm a jackass) doofus. Avoid unless your the kind of person that laughs out loud when Carrot Top commercials come on.
  22. DevinB.
    Jun 23, 2005
    A travesty. The very fact that audiences around the country are subjecting themselves to such brainless, insulting dreck is symptomatic of a culture thoroughly diseased.
  23. mickeym
    Jun 23, 2005
    Kidman! god ! so annoying and bad.
  24. robr.
    Jul 12, 2005
    Wil Ferrell slows the movie to almost a dead stop, scenes without him are almost funny.
  25. CuculizaO.
    Sep 22, 2005
    I knew this movie was gonna be bad. But I would've never guessed it was gonna be THIS bad. I love Nicole and I love the old tv show, so I thought that was gonna be enough for me to like this movie. But it wasn't. Though you get charmed by Kidman's character and the whole movie in the first 30 minutes, what comes after it is just plain boring, 0 entertainment, never in my I knew this movie was gonna be bad. But I would've never guessed it was gonna be THIS bad. I love Nicole and I love the old tv show, so I thought that was gonna be enough for me to like this movie. But it wasn't. Though you get charmed by Kidman's character and the whole movie in the first 30 minutes, what comes after it is just plain boring, 0 entertainment, never in my life I wanted to walk away from the theater because of the movie. I'm still shocked by the fact that this movie was done. Not even the incredible Nicole saves it. Sad, but true. Expand
  26. Jul 21, 2012
    Stupid over the top humor and Will Ferrel's unbearable performance, totally dismisses Nicole Kidman's spot on portrayal and witty performance. I give this movie 23%.
  27. Aug 29, 2014
    I expect this filth from Will Ferrell but Nicole Kidman? ...and Shirley MacLaine? Two actresses well above this flick. Perhaps what is most disappointing is the clear lack of effort.
  28. Nov 8, 2012
    This troubleshooting remake may not be Ferrel's worst farce, but its certainly the most boring of them all.

1. Puts a fun, frothy spin on the 1960s TV show before sinking back into the mundane.
    When Ephron gives Ferrell and Kidman a musical number that's supposed to be sweet and uplifting, the movie feels downright creepy.
  3. One thing Kidman is not is a clown. She thinks fizzy and dizzy and klutzy are funny. She is mistaken. To be a clown requires a kind of witchcraft.