4.9

1. Dec 19, 2012
    Honestly i think that Jolie it's a great model I've tried very hard to see her as an actress but her performances are just BAD I could think of a dozen better actress for this roll, it is a good attempt to represent the overseas world and way of life but the story surrounding Jolie's character it's very unnecessary.
  2. ChadS.
    Oct 30, 2003
    Angelina Jolie might be absolutely sincere about her Audrey Hepburn, as evidenced by a recent Barbara Walters' interview on 20/20. In real life, maybe Jolie would halt a caravan of trucks so that she could tend to an emaciated child being eagle-eyed by a vulture. But here, regardless of, perhaps, her sincere compassion for the vanquished, it looks absolutely ridiculous. "Now I am Angelina Jolie might be absolutely sincere about her Audrey Hepburn, as evidenced by a recent Barbara Walters' interview on 20/20. In real life, maybe Jolie would halt a caravan of trucks so that she could tend to an emaciated child being eagle-eyed by a vulture. But here, regardless of, perhaps, her sincere compassion for the vanquished, it looks absolutely ridiculous. "Now I am beyond belief," wrote Elvis Costello, and these words certainily apply when the third world takes a backseat to Jolie's concern for Owen. A revelation late in the movie is straight out of a soap opera. "Beyond Borders" reminds me of "Battlefield Earth", because in both cases, you have A-list stars who feel very passionate about their causes(Travolta's Scientology & Jolie's land mines), and their passion blinds them from good taste and common sense. Expand
  3. JerryH.
    Oct 22, 2003
    A message movie dressed up in an action/adventure romance? Who came up with this? Awareness needs to be raised about a lot of issues, I think we can all agree on that, but using this vehicle to do it is a horrible idea (I think we can agree on that too). Good intentions aside, this film has an incredibly hard time feeling truthful and real. The actors do their best, but no romantic spark A message movie dressed up in an action/adventure romance? Who came up with this? Awareness needs to be raised about a lot of issues, I think we can all agree on that, but using this vehicle to do it is a horrible idea (I think we can agree on that too). Good intentions aside, this film has an incredibly hard time feeling truthful and real. The actors do their best, but no romantic spark ignites, and they are further let down by a bad script and Campbell's James Bond film with a message directing -- everything can't be shrill and in the audience's face, backoff the music or camera moves, or even the cheesy dialogue -- choose one. Try to understate something, please. Unfortunate. Expand
  4. JonathanH.
    Apr 3, 2004
    What a awful idea for a romance movie, Jolie is going on such a downward spiral in her career, it's sad because i think she's talented.
    Oct 8, 2005
    Shows what goes on in the darker parts of the world, but did they have to throw in that LOUSY romance?!!
  6. SteveH.
    Oct 26, 2003
    On its own terms, the movie confuses what its subject is. Is it about helping in third world crises, or is it about the needs of spoiled white people? Putting the story in effete aristocratic england, when not in tropical locations, makes it all the more irrelevant to real people. By implying a CIA subversion of aid agencies, the movie is actually harmful.
  7. MitchM.
    Oct 22, 2003
    If you're not a HUGE fan of simply watching Angelina Jolie stare sadly/blankly into space for extended periods of time, you might want to skip this one. The subject matter is far too expansive to attempt to cover in a feature film of this variety. Shifting from one third-world location to the next, with London interludes, is jarring, and the true dynamic of Jolie's relationship If you're not a HUGE fan of simply watching Angelina Jolie stare sadly/blankly into space for extended periods of time, you might want to skip this one. The subject matter is far too expansive to attempt to cover in a feature film of this variety. Shifting from one third-world location to the next, with London interludes, is jarring, and the true dynamic of Jolie's relationship with her husband is never explored with the requisite detail. Finally, the ending is just plain bad. Expand
  8. CandaceS.
    Feb 19, 2004
    I went to see this movie at a discount theater! This was one of Angelina Jolie's worst movies I have ever seen in my life! In fact, this was the worst movie since Gigli!
  9. PennyP.
    Apr 25, 2004
    Okay, yes the ending was hokey and contrived, but believe it or not, people like those depicted in this film really exist and yes romance happens in horrible conditions where there is no hope...no one complained about the romances in The English Patient. Anyone who wasn't moved by the long awaited first kiss scene after the death of a colleague has either never been in love in an Okay, yes the ending was hokey and contrived, but believe it or not, people like those depicted in this film really exist and yes romance happens in horrible conditions where there is no hope...no one complained about the romances in The English Patient. Anyone who wasn't moved by the long awaited first kiss scene after the death of a colleague has either never been in love in an impossible intense situation and/or never experienced how death makes the living grasp at a straw for fleeting relief. I found Jolie and Owen utterly believable in their controlled attraction for each other. More importantly, this film brought to life the ugly realities that exist in refugee camps all over this sad planet, every day, year in, year out. Just because it's not on the news every night doesn't mean Africa no longer needs help. Seeing people in service was for me a refreshing and responsible change from the usual Hollywood me-first parade. Hollywood needs to do more of this. And if they don't add stars and romance, how else are they going to get people to know or care about this stuff? Because of the lousy ending, this really only deserves a 7, but I'm giving it an 8 to get these unfairly low ratings up an inch. If you have any heart and a little international knowledge or curiosity, you will appreciate this film. Expand
  10. Melanie
    Apr 27, 2004
    Envokes emotion, and shows the reality of what is going on in other countries and no one cares.
  11. NancyL.
    Dec 11, 2004
    Would have loved to seen actor, Goran Visnjic, in the male lead.
  12. Apr 20, 2013
    The romance in the movie is so cliché and banal, it almost hurts. The actors (who otherwise can act) are very wooden and lifeless. The movie simplifies every theme it want the viewer to be concerned about. Not recommended.

1. Even assuming the best possible motives by its makers, Beyond Borders runs the risk of making human suffering exotic while glamorizing white disaster relief workers in the Third World.
  2. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Star-driven, high-minded claptrap that, fatally, can't even rig a rooting interest in its central love story.
    As kitsch, however, it's pretty enjoyable. Jolie and Owen perform with such conviction, and the film -- blissfully unaware of its own badness -- takes its paperback-romance shenanigans with such goofy gravity, that it's easy to get caught up in the whole, soap-opera thrust of the thing.