7.3

1. JonR
    Jun 9, 2008
    This movie made me think how life should be much more appreciated than it already is. Probably one of the most emotional films I have seen.
  2. Mar 28, 2013
    Probably one of the most underrated movies in the last 20 years. Aside from perhaps being a tad too long, Robin Williams gives a really fantastic performance here. Really showing of his range in both comedy and drama. Oddly it is the drama in this movie that makes him shine, not the comedy (which was generally a bit flat.) Overall: Bicentennial man is a Drama that happens to be set in aProbably one of the most underrated movies in the last 20 years. Aside from perhaps being a tad too long, Robin Williams gives a really fantastic performance here. Really showing of his range in both comedy and drama. Oddly it is the drama in this movie that makes him shine, not the comedy (which was generally a bit flat.) Overall: Bicentennial man is a Drama that happens to be set in a Sci-Fi-ish setting. The "human" drama is really what captures you and really gets you questioning what it means to be alive. A really nice approach to the A.I. rights idea that doesn't involve guns or time traveling Austrians. Over This is a heartwarming story that makes me cry a little every time I say it. It may not be to everyone's liking, but I thought it was brilliant. Expand
  3. ALF
    Sep 25, 2011
    This film exemplifies just how pointless professional film critics are. As soon as I see a negative review by Roger Ebert I know I will really like the film. I concluded this is because firstly, I see the film, secondly I have an open-mind before seeing it and do not suffer from the crass "look at me" approach of most film critics. This film is a wonderful story really well told. A robotThis film exemplifies just how pointless professional film critics are. As soon as I see a negative review by Roger Ebert I know I will really like the film. I concluded this is because firstly, I see the film, secondly I have an open-mind before seeing it and do not suffer from the crass "look at me" approach of most film critics. This film is a wonderful story really well told. A robot who through a fault, fate whatever aspires to be more than it is (a trait film critics could learn other than being failed writers). It is a film no matter how often I see it, never fails to leave me feeling entertained and fully engaged. It has the right mix of humour, story telling and a poignant ending which it only takes two brain cells to rub together to understand. Clearly to many film and television critics have nothing to rub together :). This was (1999) and is a rarity these days, a film which you can sit the whole family in front of, from toddlers to your 90 year old grandparents and know they will not need to reach for earmuffs, hide under the settee or pray for a rapid one way trip to the next life. I could not recommend this film highly enough for family entertainment. As JonR rightly says an emotional film, which at the end of the day is surely what the world of film is about, an emotional connection. Perhaps film critics need to learn this. Robin Williams excellent. One of his best roles. Embeth Davidtz also excellent. Sam Neil - also excellent. The rest of the cast were excellent to. Special FX to enhance, not dominate. Good pace and a decent length unlike the usual cheap 80 to 90 minute dross we normally get. Script is a good adaptation of Asimov who is one of my favourite authors. Having read the film reviews by so many supposedly professional critics, I must thank most of you for increasing my already deeply rooted levels of contempt for your "industry." An industry which seems to be one composed of literary hacks and failures and produce nothing but spite. If any of you had any balls you would create. Expand
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    Robin Williams begins the film of Bicentennial Man in a mechanical suit, he is a robot, or 'household appliance' who is found to have feelings and reactions similar to human beings. Unfortunately he doesn't stay in the suit for the entire film, not to take away anything from the remarkable talent and personal admiration of Williams, but a lacklustre and bland second half will have youRobin Williams begins the film of Bicentennial Man in a mechanical suit, he is a robot, or 'household appliance' who is found to have feelings and reactions similar to human beings. Unfortunately he doesn't stay in the suit for the entire film, not to take away anything from the remarkable talent and personal admiration of Williams, but a lacklustre and bland second half will have you counting the minutes until the end. A running start, but an egg and spoon finish.
    The script is filled with emotional appearance from start to finish, but its time frame fast forwards so unpredictably that it can be difficult to feel any sort of attachment to anyone but Andrew, the robot purchased by Richard Martin, or 'Sir', (played by Sam Neill) who quickly realises that his robot may do more than the standard model.
    Andrew begins to immediately bond with the his masters children, and as the years go on and Andrew's talent for carpentry and other things have made him quite a rich man.
    But the more he understands humans and the more he reads, he knows the demeanour of freedom, and wants to become his own man.
    Where the film starts to lose its feet is when it starts fast-forwarding, because for a film spanning 200 years it moves at quite a fast pace. Andrew deals with death, others growing up around him and is unable to convey emotions to these changes, but the film is perhaps to polite for its own good in these situations, with a calm and mellow score throughout the film, there is no sense of despair or sadness, but always a sense of epic romanticism and heightening shows of this is how the world should be, but it isn't.
    Robin Williams and Embeth Davidtz are the leading people in the film, Davidtz playing two people in terms of generation. Williams, while in the suit and a few times outside of it, is an ideal and welcome choice for the role, but he seems to be held back quite often and although he is playing a robot, the lack of emotional depth can be blamed on a script which never digresses or takes a new path, it perhaps should have listened to its own words,"sometimes it's important to do the wrong thing".
    There are laughs to be had and some of the script is quite funny, particularly the earlier parts of Andrew getting to know the ways of human behaviour,but a slow and messy second half have held the film back from being as good as the opening 45 minutes suggested, but there are definitely lessons to be learnt and teachings to follow from this very quotable film, which explains human behaviour at its very core.
  5. RachelM
    Aug 22, 2005
    This story approaches classic Sci-Fi ones, introducing the topic "how things would be when...", or better, "how men would be when...", reflecting on vital topics, etc. Asimov's story is great in this sense, but Buena Vista adaptation is focused on commercial success and some special effects. And the result is POOR! The worst in this movie is its construction: time seems to fly, This story approaches classic Sci-Fi ones, introducing the topic "how things would be when...", or better, "how men would be when...", reflecting on vital topics, etc. Asimov's story is great in this sense, but Buena Vista adaptation is focused on commercial success and some special effects. And the result is POOR! The worst in this movie is its construction: time seems to fly, leaving no time for emotion or reflectio. Of course, anything performed by R.Williams is great, but I'm afraid he is too human to perform a robot! I didn't like it. Expand
  6. KeithH.
    Aug 30, 2007
    A boring movie. I was intrigued, when in the beginning they recapped asimov's three laws of robotics, but then they never used them. At the end, one robot even seems to break them. Plodding pace, a weepy score that will put you to sleep and Robin Williams mugging for the camera in almost every scene (not for the first time either) make this a movie to avoid.
  7. May 25, 2013
    Overlong, sentimental (or perhaps maudlin), and lacking clarity. I remember the original story well, though have not read the novel it was adapted into (The Positronic Man). Regardless, I recognized and enjoyed very little.
  8. GarethJ.
    Oct 6, 2001
    Stays incredibly close to the novel while bringing out the hidden emotions. A great family film.
  9. Victor
    Aug 26, 2002
    Original short story / remade novel aside, let's look at the movie itself. Poignant to excess, (e.g. Little Miss' holding Andrew's first expression of creativity in her dying hands), this movie engages the viewer to consider, "What really is humanity?" At its most humorous when Robin Williams' creativity is caged by the robotic form ("Good ... Night"), this movie is Original short story / remade novel aside, let's look at the movie itself. Poignant to excess, (e.g. Little Miss' holding Andrew's first expression of creativity in her dying hands), this movie engages the viewer to consider, "What really is humanity?" At its most humorous when Robin Williams' creativity is caged by the robotic form ("Good ... Night"), this movie is certainly not the laugh riot that the studio publicists tout. The underlying message of the movie is that change is unavoidable. The only thing that we can control is how we react to it. Even the character of Andrew, who fights human aging because of his own needs, finally acceeds to the inevitable. There is indeed a natural order of things, and only in acceptance can we find peace. After 200 years, we finally understand. Expand
  10. GilbertMulroneycakesMustDie
    Nov 12, 2002
    Asimov'd spit. The story is great, one of the best Isaac wrote (and he wrote some glorious ones). But poor old Chris "I discovered America!" (points down) "Look, there it is!" "Stop doing that." Columbus turns it from a thought-proving piece of SF into a sappy, sentimental mess. Shame.
  11. HansS
    Aug 13, 2005
    Makes you think how much more fun we could have, how much more we could get out of life if we were more rational and of service to others. Presents the wonders of intelligent systems better than anything to date. I'm sorry to see that most reviewers can't be considered such. As with most things, with emotion, less is more. "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy Makes you think how much more fun we could have, how much more we could get out of life if we were more rational and of service to others. Presents the wonders of intelligent systems better than anything to date. I'm sorry to see that most reviewers can't be considered such. As with most things, with emotion, less is more. "The world is a tragedy to those who feel, but a comedy to those who think." -Horace Walpole. Expand
  12. KyleS
    Dec 31, 2007
    If you don't like it, you don't get it. id say its as simple as that, wonderful movie gets me everytime.
  13. JamesH
    Nov 14, 2009
    I am not quite sure why this film was so often disliked by the critics. It is a bit overlong, and it does have some slow stretches, but otherwise I thought is was warm and wonderful. Good score, imaginative, and Robin Williams is great.
  14. JenniferT.
    May 25, 2002
    This is the most amazing movie I have ever seen in my life!! It touches the heart on so many different levels that other movies can't even come close too. It is amazing.
    Dec 8, 2005
    Flawed, but I liked it. A bit too much Robin Williams in the mix, though. While I, Robot was a good actioner/thriller that interplayed the three laws of robotics, this one looks from a calmer perspective, feeling more like an Asimov short story.

Amid the complacent self-congratulation...is a bizarre reactionary bent.
    The childish humor and sensationalistic effects undercut the movie's philosophical agenda.
    The sad fact is Williams is at his best while trapped in Andrew's original sleek form. His performance is subtle, his reactions restrained. The more Robin is exposed, the more ham is served.