Big Bad Wolves

7.4

1. Jun 7, 2014
    Directing duo Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado's second feature "Big Bad Wolves" is their follow-up to the darkly comic "Rabies" (2011). Once again they attempt to create a genre-savvy thriller that blurs the lines between horror and political satire. Papushado's and Keshales bloody tale does a fine job mounting the tension, however the movie never fully clicks as a gritty revengeDirecting duo Aharon Keshales and Navot Papushado's second feature "Big Bad Wolves" is their follow-up to the darkly comic "Rabies" (2011). Once again they attempt to create a genre-savvy thriller that blurs the lines between horror and political satire. Papushado's and Keshales bloody tale does a fine job mounting the tension, however the movie never fully clicks as a gritty revenge thriller or as a dark comedy. In regards to Quentin Tarantino's full-throttled endorsement of "Big Bad Wolves" as the year's best film is an absolutely ridiculous claim that sells his own work short.

There's a serial killer loose, and he's raping, torturing and decapitating girls, whose heads he then hides, mainly, it seems, to give this otherwise generic setup some needed flair. As the police futilely chase clues, a motley triangle emerges: a suspended cop, Micki (Lior Ashkenazi); a religious teacher, Dror (Rotem Keinan); and a mourning father, Gidi (Tzahi Grad). In time, the three converge in an isolated cabin that turns into a chamber of horrors as they play a psychological game to extract the location of the missing head from our killer.

"Big Bad Wolves" begs to be read as a metaphor, and the directors are taking dead aim here: Israel's own ugly history of torture and its ramifications. But their point soon wears itself out, and what remains is merely cheap shocks and an increasingly tiresome sense of black humor that neutralizes its attempt to increasing intensity.The film fails to deliver by suffering from irregular tonal shifts, a paper-thin story line, and a lethargic second act that stumbles into an incredibly underwhelming conclusion.

"Wolves" is a well made film beautifully shot in widescreen and technically impressive. It has its moments of wit with humor, and on occasion, it does get its desired effect. However there is just not nearly enough of it. "Big Bad Wolves" huffs and it puffs, but it doesn't blow the house down.
  2. Feb 7, 2014
    It's difficult until the very end to see if there is a comedic rationale for the plentiful gore. If you're annoyed but unanswered questions, this movie will disappoint. But the acting is superb and the story suspenseful enough to keep you engaged.
  3. Mar 2, 2014
    Thriller with a good story, great atmosphere of Israel, and made in "tarantinian" way (lot of humor). The Best Movie of 2013. Finally, you can see: pedophiles, Jews, aArabs, iPhones, thriller and a black comedy in one film.
  4. Aug 26, 2015
    Wolves in a pack hunting for a beast-sheep.

Wolves in a pack hunting for a beast-sheep.

The first thing I remembered was, 'Save the Green Planet', but it was a crime-thriller, not a fantasy-sci-fi. Tough guys in the leather jackets, guns in the one hand and cigars in the other, that's what I imagined when Tarantino favoured it. But this film was slightly not an aggressive like too violent. The screenplay was disturbed frequently when it begins to engage on the nervous side. Hence it makes you say 'just missed', sometime disappointedly. Anyway, no one told me it was a dark comedy, I took it as a surprise and somewhat enjoyed it.

It was on the serious subject, but not the presentation. Keeps everything lightly, especially conceals the dark side of truth for the final twist. For us, as the viewers, the prediction is two ways, either 'he did' it or 'he didn't' like taking a side. Film length was good with a moderate pace. There's no place for the characters to unroll with the proper introductions, including not even the opening event on which the whole film stands. From the beginning itself the writer wanted to save it for the final revelation. That's not smart, that's afraid of leaving hints.

"Maniacs are afraid of maniacs."

Kind of similar to Hollywood's 'Prisoners'. Well, almost matches, except the characters and places. A good movie, but not that good. Well attempted, I am sure many would love this film. The narration is about kidnapping a guy on the suspicion of crime for a secret interrogation. It hauls in the remaining till advance to the crucial end part. In the mean time, the torturing techniques and the suspense hold our position.

Because of Tarantino's nod, it's an easy 'go for it', well, mostly for his fanbase. I say consider it and decide yourself after the watch, don't believe, not even me. To me it was the great opportunity missed to dominate, especially having a powerful title and theme. Still, I don't reckon it is a bad or worst movie, but surely one of the year's top 50 or maybe 25.

The movie was as I thought. The story and my anticipation were on the parallel track aiming the same direction. At least I was occupied, but the issue was, it did not go above my expectation to surprise me with some interesting elements. It flunks, like trying to fill the new wine in an old bottle with the old label and description in it. Stylish, but attempted to be too clever was the let down by the slimmest margin. On the other hand, as coming from the Israeli, it is exceptional.

6.5/10
  5. Apr 28, 2014
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    A terrific thriller. I had no idea what was going to happen next. From beginning to end i riveted from the outstanding performances, great script and fantastic direction. Probably the best film of 2014. I still haven't seen all the movies I want to yet but, I have a feeling this won't be topped.

A crafty, suspenseful, violent horror film that touches on the inner lives of sexual predators, the question of guilt and remorse in the human soul, and the practice of torture.
  2. Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    Jan 23, 2014
    You expect something far different and better than the same-old.
  3. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Jan 23, 2014
    Occasionally the film seems as if it will make a political statement (the value, or lack thereof, of torture, for instance). But it doesn’t really follow through. But they keep us occupied with twists, well-played, and some of the laughs are genuine, if uncomfortable and guilt-inducing.