Big Fish

8.6

1. Nov 2, 2010
    This was a fairly trite and predictable story in my view. A real dissapoint after watching Edward scissorhandy. You get the feeling that burton has sold out. These kind of mythic, sweeping movies have the same feel as forest gump. They are all too transparent with their message and leave nothing to the imagination. The characters are not believable and it feels an hour too long.
  2. MatthewT.
    Jan 11, 2004
    This movie is racist. A father knows all sorts of cool, weird, wonderful friends, but never brings them home to introduce them to his son. Why? Because the cool friends are of a different size/race/culture/species from his white, middle-class suburban family. This is the essence of American racism--you can have fun with people who are different from you--you can even father children with This movie is racist. A father knows all sorts of cool, weird, wonderful friends, but never brings them home to introduce them to his son. Why? Because the cool friends are of a different size/race/culture/species from his white, middle-class suburban family. This is the essence of American racism--you can have fun with people who are different from you--you can even father children with them, ala Strom Thurmond or Thomas Jefferson--but you can never, NEVER invite them into your home. Big Fish is not just a bad movie, but an evil movie for giving voice to that kind of sentiment in this year, in this century, in this millenium. Tim Burton should be ashamed of himself--if you heard his NPR interview with Elvis Mitchell, you know he already is. Expand
  3. MovieguyCinema
    Jan 20, 2004
    A nauseating and ridiculous lousy david lynch imitation, utterly meaningless pretentious garbage that is both boring and sickening a the same time.
  4. BlytheM.
    Feb 13, 2004
    Boring from the moment it came on the screen. I left after 20 minutes. Didn't care about anyone, wasn't drawn in by the story about stories.
  5. JakeS.
    Feb 7, 2004
    How can you like a movie when you hate the main character?! Burton, through the character of Edward Bloom (played by Finney and McGregor), takes the "father know's best" adage a step to far, and instead we have a movie which is condescending and irritating. I felt bad for the son, and not the lying father. The visuals are nice though, hence the 1.
  6. Rico
    May 5, 2004
    This movie tries too hard to be magical and ends up falling flat. The charm seems forced through no fault of the excellent cast. Tim Burton has been making some stinkers lately.
  7. SuzanneD.
    Dec 13, 2003
    What a letdown....I went in expecting to love this film and I was really disappointed. It is very dull thruout and not at all up to Burtons capabilities.
  8. HughM.
    Jan 9, 2004
    Big disappointment! I kept waiting for something interesting to happen, but it never did. Good actors wasted...did Jessica Lange speak, I don't recall.
  9. BradleyW.
    Dec 11, 2003
    Sorry folks, this film is a clunker. long and terribly boring...just couldnt keep me interested in the few imaginative parts.
  10. DevonP.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Yawn. What a turkey. I am a huge fan of Tim Burton and all of the actors, but it was like going to the dentist, except when I left I didn't have a good taste in my mouth. Half the audience walked out. People on airplanes are gonna walk out, rent Edward Scissorhands, instead.

1. The movie is a gently overstuffed cinematic piñata, crammed with tall tales -- with giants and circuses and fairy-tale woods, plus a huge squirmy catfish, all served up with a literal matter-of-fact fancy that is very pleasing.
  2. Reviewed by: Clint Morris
    A tale that's so enriching, so heartwarming, so funny, so touching and so breathtaking, you'll wonder why the king of wackiness didn't branch out sooner.
  3. A misfire. The film that wants to be lighter than air instead crashes to earth with the swiftness of a concrete parachute.