8.4

1. Dec 29, 2014
    Big Fish is a touching, moving, heartwarming and breathtaking film that will appeal to everyone. It is very creative and Tim Burton brings to life all the characters. One of the best movies of the year.
  2. Jun 30, 2013
    An incredibly well acted film combines the style of Tim Burton with a story that works emotionally and visually. This is one of Tim Burton's best films.
  3. Feb 23, 2013
    This is a film for anybody that has some concept of what it means to believe in imagination, magic, and stories. It is so enriching and emotionally powerful. Tim Burton may be different than other directors, but that is only because he understands what it takes to create a film that is worth watching no matter how unusual they can be.
  4. j30
    Nov 9, 2011
    This is a great movie and one of the most underrated films by Tim Burton. The film takes all of Burton's strengths and puts them into one. I can't recommend this enough.
  5. Jul 13, 2012
    What a magical movie this is. "Big Fish" challenges our faith and imagination with tales that sound too marvelous to be true, too extraordinary to be believable. But the strongest emotions are found between the broken relationship of a dying father and his doubtful son. After years of no communication, they are reunited when human age reaches its fragile state. The son sits on a chair asWhat a magical movie this is. "Big Fish" challenges our faith and imagination with tales that sound too marvelous to be true, too extraordinary to be believable. But the strongest emotions are found between the broken relationship of a dying father and his doubtful son. After years of no communication, they are reunited when human age reaches its fragile state. The son sits on a chair as he observes his weak father, who lies in what could be his deathbed.

Old Edward Bloom (Albert Finney) is a devoted storyteller who believes that true stories could use a little fiction for entertainment purposes. On the day his only son, Will, was born, he was out of town selling home appliances. Not a very exciting story for such a very momentous event. When Will is set to be married, his father shares with everyone the false account of how he caught a really big fish with his wedding ring the same day Will was born. This draws smiles from his listeners, but not from Will, who has heard the same lie repeatedly throughout his life. He walks away. And he doesn't return until old Edward becomes confined to his bedroom/

Read more here: http://localmoviereview.com/big-fish/
  6. Jun 30, 2013
    I loved Big Fish. It was very uplifting and had a Forrest Gump feel to it. All the fairy tales told were engaging and heartwarming. I experienced a variety of emotions during this film and it almost drove me to tears. If you did not enjoy it then it is possible you did not understand it. I certainly did understand it and I still continue to love it.
  7. Jun 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie is simply not a movie...it's a tall tale of an old dieing mans life and the magic that bestows him, the places he goes the people he meets, and how he became what he always was a BIG FISH IN A SMALL RIVER....and there's no doubt that didnt make me cry Expand
  8. Aug 6, 2014
    The Tim Burton's masterpiece, as good as Sleepy Hollow, in a different way... I loved this relation father/son and the lesson that we can learn : yes, maybe the stories told by your parents were not true... But it's not the most important. The most important is having a free-imagination ! And I love Ewan McGregor's acting !! And I love Danny Elfman's soundtrack ! In short, I love theThe Tim Burton's masterpiece, as good as Sleepy Hollow, in a different way... I loved this relation father/son and the lesson that we can learn : yes, maybe the stories told by your parents were not true... But it's not the most important. The most important is having a free-imagination ! And I love Ewan McGregor's acting !! And I love Danny Elfman's soundtrack ! In short, I love the atmosphere of this movie. Expand
  9. Oct 8, 2010
    One of my favorite movies. It is a fantastic story full of imagination and creativity. It really has a way of making you think. Not many people get the movie or think about it long enough to understand it fully. People who tend to not think about it see it as a bad movie with crude and rude humor. But if you actually use your mind while watching you'll discover so much. It's a movie whereOne of my favorite movies. It is a fantastic story full of imagination and creativity. It really has a way of making you think. Not many people get the movie or think about it long enough to understand it fully. People who tend to not think about it see it as a bad movie with crude and rude humor. But if you actually use your mind while watching you'll discover so much. It's a movie where you can't just turn off your brain for a couple hours. That's is what is so brilliant about it. Amazing cast and writers. MUST SEE MOVIE. Expand
  10. May 26, 2012
    This movie is for daydreamers. This movie is so perfectly done that I dont know how people dont like it. Tim Burton, a genius. The whole analiysis you can make about this movie is incredible. How everything has a etymological meaning. I enjoyed it so much.
  11. Aug 2, 2012
    One of my all time favorite movies an amazing story heart warming a must watch recommend to all great family adventure first time I watched it went straight out & bought it its that kinda good
  12. Sep 10, 2013
    I am a Tim Burton fan, and this film may not have his over the top imagery, but the story draws me in within minutes every time.

I love the way that this movie is paced. We are always hearing this tale and then finding out about the truth behind the tale and the outcomes that it has. I also like the way this movie reflects story telling and story tellers.
  13. JonA.
    Jan 13, 2004
    First of all, this was a wonderful movie. In a world of the fantastical revolving around violence and crude humor, this film brings back the wonder to real, natural life in a beautiful way. As for the racist comments by our first commentator; I sympathize with your frustration, but quiet frankly, if you attack this movie for being racist, etc. you have not seen a lot of other movies in First of all, this was a wonderful movie. In a world of the fantastical revolving around violence and crude humor, this film brings back the wonder to real, natural life in a beautiful way. As for the racist comments by our first commentator; I sympathize with your frustration, but quiet frankly, if you attack this movie for being racist, etc. you have not seen a lot of other movies in this day in age. The father separates his "cool friends" from his family because he leaves it ambiguous to whether they actually existed or not. People, pick up a book once in a while~ have we lost contact with our own imagination? Whew... Expand
  14. MandellS.
    Jan 1, 2004
    A lyrical gem of a movie. It affirms both the power of art and the power of love. Big Fish presents a series of tall tales that evoke Twain's Gothic images of the American South as well as Homer's Oddesy. You have to have a heart of stone not be moved by this movie.
  15. DanI.
    Jan 10, 2004
    I just got back from watching this film, and I have to say I was not disappointed. Reading recent reviews about the Big Fish I was afraid that it wasn't going to be as good as the original reviews made it out to be. Fortunatly, it was everything and more. It was a feel good movie that was sappy, but not so sappy that you are ashamed to be at the movie with your friends. In fact I got I just got back from watching this film, and I have to say I was not disappointed. Reading recent reviews about the Big Fish I was afraid that it wasn't going to be as good as the original reviews made it out to be. Fortunatly, it was everything and more. It was a feel good movie that was sappy, but not so sappy that you are ashamed to be at the movie with your friends. In fact I got lost in the movie itself and was feeling almost like I was a child again listening to tall tales. The acting was great, and the direction was all that you would expect from Tim Burton. From top to bottom this was the feel good film that I would suggest to anybody that is at all intrested in seeing this. Expand
  16. CameronS.
    Jan 9, 2004
    What the heck are you people talking about? This is one Great movie. It is definately one of Burton's best movies. The acting is superb, music is wonderful, the cinematography and costuming are extremely good. The story is magical and enchanting. GO SEE THIS MOVIE!!!!!
  17. SidneyF.
    Feb 3, 2004
    A masterpiece of life.
  18. MitchO.
    Mar 8, 2004
    This movie rocks!!
  19. MikeW.
    Oct 13, 2007
    Tim Burton's masterpiece. A brilliant work of art that can greatly be felt as you lose yourself in this delightful fantasy. Great performances all around as well, especially Albert Finney.
  20. ScottD
    Sep 3, 2008
    There are few movies I would give a shameless perfect score, and this is one of them. Big Fish has been my number-one favorite movie ever since I saw it a few years ago. I have since watched it at least 15 more times, and every time I watch it, I never fail to be amazed, touched, and interested. There are so many things to think about in this movie, and literally every time I watch it There are few movies I would give a shameless perfect score, and this is one of them. Big Fish has been my number-one favorite movie ever since I saw it a few years ago. I have since watched it at least 15 more times, and every time I watch it, I never fail to be amazed, touched, and interested. There are so many things to think about in this movie, and literally every time I watch it some new metaphor or parallel occurs to me. Do not listen to the critics, because obviously they are too heartless to understand how truly awe-inspiring and amazing this film is. Expand
  21. AlonsoC.
    Jul 11, 2009
    A You-Must-See Movie, one of my favorite movies of all time, it has a funny part and has it serious and lovely part, you always learn something about life in this movie. And as Sam F. Says, this is one of those movie where you can say that if don't liked it, it's because you didn't get it. One of the greatest movies of all time (in MY opinion).
  22. HoldenCaulfield
    Jan 10, 2004
    Absolutely brilliant! Burton takes us into a completely different world of the likes that will never be seen again untill Burton gets his hands another script.
  23. BillS.
    Jan 13, 2004
    A beautifully whimsical tale woven together by Burton who shows remarkable depth of spirit and heart without any reliance on special effects or artificial fantasy characters. There was no 'racism' here - what a ludicrous thing to claim. Instead, you will find much soul and a deeper message about who we are and how we view our lives than you'll find in any other movie out A beautifully whimsical tale woven together by Burton who shows remarkable depth of spirit and heart without any reliance on special effects or artificial fantasy characters. There was no 'racism' here - what a ludicrous thing to claim. Instead, you will find much soul and a deeper message about who we are and how we view our lives than you'll find in any other movie out right now. A delicately told yet quasi-imaginary sniffle-inspiring work, certainly worthy of more than the action-figure generation critics seem to be willing to give. Impatience, rather than any lack of moral or visual merit, is the source of most negative commets. Hint: Don't walk out of RETURN OF THE KING and expect to be equally deafened by BIG FISH. Leave the less-sensitive friends and family at home for this one. Expand
  24. CalebC.
    Jan 13, 2004
    I loved it! special connection to this movie helped me give it a 10. i thought it was like reading a book. i love this one.
  25. FuzzyDice
    Jan 15, 2004
    Warmth, nuance and childhood (as well as adult!) fantasy abound in Burton's best film since PeeWee's Big Adventure!
  26. SusanM.
    Dec 8, 2004
    This is my all-time favourite movie, I love the story, the characters and the message. It is all about the power of imagination, and it is a perfect movie. I have seen it multiple times and I could watch it daily and never get sick of it!
  27. KennyH.
    Jan 4, 2004
    I thought this was an excellent movie. The story was great. I was smiling the entire movie. Really Good.
  28. Jamal
    Feb 16, 2004
    Jamal liked it a lot.
  29. Jessicsa
    May 2, 2004
    One of the best movies of the year.
  30. LeroyL.
    May 7, 2004
    The only thing that prevents me from giving this delightful flick a 10 is one tiny, insulting flashback when Will Bloom (Crudup) meets Jenny (Bonham Carter). C'mon, unless you'd been snoozing through the film it was plainly obvious. Probably a producer's insistence.
  31. ben
    Jan 9, 2005
    I can't believe the mixed reviews this film got, and i'm simply in disbelief that it didn't win best picture. it was funny and absolutely heartbreaking, honestly one of the best films i've seen. it's near the top of the list.
  32. John
    Jul 27, 2005
    A wonderful story that incorporates superb characters and acting with splendid visuals to create a very moving film.
  33. JorisV.
    Aug 7, 2006
    People who give this movie less then 6 doesn't understand it, and probably can't see past the archetypal clichés... This is one of my all-time favourite movies, visually magnificent and one of the best, moving and greatest stories ever... This story is indeed "bigger than Life itself... Definitely Burton's best, his magnum opus!
  34. JackL.
    Mar 25, 2007
    It is a wonderful, heartfelt, lyrical story!!!! Just see it with a open mind.
  35. AnL.
    Mar 25, 2007
    The movie is a delightful story to be seen and felt. It challenges our cynicism of adulthood and brings us back to where our imagination begins, where everything is possible, where the world full of magics and dreams. The movie is a touching reminder to us: let imagination saturate our pragmatic, "scientific", factual lives.
  36. M.Bluth
    Dec 10, 2003
    Don't read this, just GO. This is one really beautiful movie.
  37. MaxwellS.
    Dec 30, 2003
    Because I'm so tired, I'll keep this short. The film is flawlessly incredible. Burton delivers once again with probably his best film thus far.
  38. AndrewC.
    Dec 9, 2003
    The most beautiful and moving film I have seen this year.
  39. JaredSS
    Jan 10, 2004
    What a splendid film! Easily one of the 5 best of the year, possibly top 3, as well as one of the 5 best films that Tim Burton's ever made (that's saying a lot coming from a Burton-aholic like myself). I think people that aren't enjoying this film need their heads examined, and I think the Academy are going to need their heads examined when they don't even give Burton What a splendid film! Easily one of the 5 best of the year, possibly top 3, as well as one of the 5 best films that Tim Burton's ever made (that's saying a lot coming from a Burton-aholic like myself). I think people that aren't enjoying this film need their heads examined, and I think the Academy are going to need their heads examined when they don't even give Burton a nomination for Best Director. I know they won't, purely because he's Tim Burton, nobody takes him seriously enough. WHEN ARE PEOPLE GOING TO REALIZE THAT TIM BURTON IS AN ARTIST!!! Expand
  40. AdamM.
    Jan 11, 2004
    I was shocked to see a score of 56 on MetaCritic. I was expecting to see something in the 90s. This was the best movie for 2003 that I saw. A lot of my friends have already seen this and not one has had anything bad to say about it.
  41. MattA
    Nov 2, 2004
    Great movie. It was fun entertainment with good laughs, some good morals, and some heart warming moments. All together, Big fish is a great movie to watch.
  42. KippaBoy
    Nov 28, 2004
    From reading everyone elses comments, it seems that everyone has mixed feelings about this movie. I never thought that such a film that i had not heard of would be and could be so inspiring and entertaining, i am a 21 year old engineer who enjoys rugby and all other sports, i see myself as a hard man, this fil made me cry like a baby, never before have i been so involved and gripped. It From reading everyone elses comments, it seems that everyone has mixed feelings about this movie. I never thought that such a film that i had not heard of would be and could be so inspiring and entertaining, i am a 21 year old engineer who enjoys rugby and all other sports, i see myself as a hard man, this fil made me cry like a baby, never before have i been so involved and gripped. It has even made me want to turn on the computer and write this, something i thought that only sad people who had too much time on their hands did! Inspiring, awesome, incredible. who cares what everyone else thinks this film is myb absolute all time favourite!!!!! Expand
  43. GuyI.
    Jan 12, 2004
    Matthew T. Dude, you have problems. LOL. This is a great film for people of all races and cultures to enjoy. Saw an early preview a while back and it reddemed my faith in Hollywood amid all the crap it has been spewing out lately.
  44. KristinD.
    Jan 17, 2004
    What the heck is the problem with all of these critics? Can't they tell one good movie from another? The reviews are nothing but a whangdoodle(except for the good ones). Big Fish is one of the best pictures created that touches the heart. It is one of the best movies I've ever seen about family, love, and friendship.
  45. R.Diddy
    Jan 19, 2004
    This is the best movie i've seen in a long time. i had no idea what its about when i went to see it and i was pleasantly suprised, that its about the beauty of the moment.. a beautiful story that may or may not lead somewhere.. it is refreshingly different from the usual hollywood garbage. i cant believe papers like washington post gave it a bad rating. from what they said it wasThis is the best movie i've seen in a long time. i had no idea what its about when i went to see it and i was pleasantly suprised, that its about the beauty of the moment.. a beautiful story that may or may not lead somewhere.. it is refreshingly different from the usual hollywood garbage. i cant believe papers like washington post gave it a bad rating. from what they said it was missing exactly what pathetic hollywood movies attempt to deliver. recipe for maximum audience. !@#$ washington post & @#$ movie critics. Expand
  46. Fantasy
    Jan 21, 2004
    Liked it a lot. It's a story about life in how we are remembered. The cast was outstanding. The facts don't really matter only the legend.
  47. AshleyG.
    Jan 23, 2004
    I genuinely loved this movie...it was hilarious and very moving. It did lag a tad bit at a few points though, that's why it's not a perfect 10. VERY much worth the money to see it though.
  48. JoshW.
    Jan 29, 2004
    This was a very fine film with some real heart to it. Its also nice to see a director like Burton expand his language as a film maker.
  49. CarolAnnC.
    Jan 30, 2004
    I adored this film. It was just a celebration of life even if most of it was a figment of imagination.
  50. DavidR.
    Feb 6, 2004
    Ignore the critics on this one. Big Fish is one of the best movies of any year. So what if Ed's stories aren't 100% factual. This movie knows that life is more than just marking off days on the calendar. Enjoy the movie as a celebration of a life worth living.
  51. MikeS.
    Mar 7, 2004
    Creative storytelling, ingenious cinematography and a wholesome atmosphere make this a memorable fantasy. I left the theatre feeling as if I had seen a real movie for a change.
  52. BenA.
    Jun 10, 2004
    WHAT! How did this movie get such luke warm reviews? 56? This was one of the best movies of 03. This was just a beautiful movie. I don't have much more to say.
  53. Kajman
    Aug 13, 2004
    Fabulous!
  54. Paolo
    Nov 14, 2005
    This film is a test for your heart. Depending on your vote you can know if your heart is made of stone or not. If you are able to "understand" and "feel" what this film is trying to say then you can not give it less than 8. I'm glad to see the vast majority of people does indeed have a heart :-)
  55. RohanW.
    Jan 21, 2005
    The number of critics prepared to influence the public not to see this film is appalling. I'm infinitely saddened that a film with this much charm and heart is "outshined" by generic trash fueled by guns and blades and sex - and I'm a 22 year old guy. See this film as soon as possible and make up your own mind.
    Mar 5, 2005
    Different, interesting.
  57. SiobhanT.
    Jun 27, 2005
    FANTASTIC film but be prepared for a good cry. Lovely story and ending but I had to phone my Dad after I watched it! Hope everyone else enjoys it as much as I did!
  58. matta.
    Jul 15, 2005
    Honestly, the crtiics blew it on this one. Beautiful fantasy film with exceptional performances from the two leads, McGregor and Finney.
  59. AngelaH
    Oct 9, 2006
    This movie is a great tall tale. Tim Burton really catches the attention of audiences with his work of art in this film. It must have taken lots of planning to make this wondrous film. No one film will be as amazing as this one.
  60. Riren
    Mar 3, 2007
    An uncompromising compromise between morose reality and cartoonish fantasy. It reconciles the fairy tales of American youth, all the sweet things we enjoyed as children, with the cynicism and coldness with build up during maturity. In many senses, Big Fish is about the different kinds of love, and so many of the reasons we fall into them. Littered with over the top moments and brilliant An uncompromising compromise between morose reality and cartoonish fantasy. It reconciles the fairy tales of American youth, all the sweet things we enjoyed as children, with the cynicism and coldness with build up during maturity. In many senses, Big Fish is about the different kinds of love, and so many of the reasons we fall into them. Littered with over the top moments and brilliant visual art, it is probably Burton's best film. Collapse
  61. Jordan
    Jun 19, 2008
    I absolutely adore this movie. Charming, beautiful, moving. A wonderful American fantasy.
  62. ColinD.
    Sep 11, 2008
    Big Fish, though a bit wordy at the start, pulls together and will mesmerize any viewer that can recognize the contrasts between a creatively imaginative child and an adult that utilizes a standard, and sometimes dull worldview. I'm starting to believe the critics aren't worthy of their role.
  63. erixs
    May 31, 2009
    Very touching...!! My girlfriend cried after seeing this movie, TWICE !!!
  64. MattS.
    Dec 16, 2003
    I was in New York last weekend and bought a bootlegged dvd of this, [Ed: Bad form!] the picture and audio wasn't perfect, but you got to expect some faults for $5. This movie is a very delightful surprise. It is told as a fable or fairytale. It has a very good cast and the story is very touching. It is a father/son story and is a good holiday movie, it runs sorta as two tales, I was in New York last weekend and bought a bootlegged dvd of this, [Ed: Bad form!] the picture and audio wasn't perfect, but you got to expect some faults for $5. This movie is a very delightful surprise. It is told as a fable or fairytale. It has a very good cast and the story is very touching. It is a father/son story and is a good holiday movie, it runs sorta as two tales, reality and fantasy, I find that the fantasy scenes with Mcgregor are great while the reality scenes get a bit dry. I hope it comes to theaters everywhere, the only bad part is seeing Danny Devito's Buttocks. Expand
  65. Phil
    Dec 9, 2003
    It's magical! It's a living fairy tail! It's brilliant!
  66. Elliott
    Jan 11, 2004
    Did Jessica Lange speak?!? She ONLY delivered the most potent, heartfelt, and unforgettable line of dialogue of the past several years: "I don't think I'll ever dry out......." Big Fish is an altogether incredible film. I honestly do not understand the negative reviews. It's a perfect film.
  67. DamienP.
    Jan 19, 2004
    I found this movie to be vastly entertaining while also delivering a great message. There was only a few moments of misguided direction, otherwise I think it was flawless for what it was trying to accomplish. When a movie can relate to possible relationships the viewer can relate to, it connects that much closer. All in all a good family movie.
  68. Henry
    Dec 17, 2004
    Simply remarkable, my all-time favourite.
  69. DJBozo
    Feb 11, 2004
    The Art of Storytelling!
  70. PasserBy
    Feb 29, 2004
    A film that is close to a 10... The general feel of this film begins with something that you don't know what to believe... As it progresses on, you start to piece together each bit of Ed's life... And little by little, it touches you heart with the warmth of it all... The love and bond between father and son shines throughout. Definitely not one to miss!
  71. PatrickH.
    Apr 15, 2004
    A little confusing at parts, but otherwise, well made, acted, funny, and touching at the same time!
  72. MontyS.
    Apr 26, 2004
    Fabulous movie. Moving. I found it very interesting.
  73. CraKa
    May 24, 2004
    Perfect film. Not being a small statement since my world consists of flicks, movies and films. This was budda. Too bad most people want their entertainment spoon-fed. I do feel sorrow for those who struggled with this film or left before it was finished. I guess there isn't enough Fast-n-Friveless or Die Hard 82's out to get this one past the general public. Too much advertising Perfect film. Not being a small statement since my world consists of flicks, movies and films. This was budda. Too bad most people want their entertainment spoon-fed. I do feel sorrow for those who struggled with this film or left before it was finished. I guess there isn't enough Fast-n-Friveless or Die Hard 82's out to get this one past the general public. Too much advertising is this ones only falut. Expand
  74. JasonT.
    May 31, 2004
    A very touching film, that thanks to Burton's steady hand is able to be emotional without being corny.
  75. ArmandoA.
    Feb 19, 2006
    Along with "Edward Scissorhands", this movie is just one of the best love stories ever told. Very original, very touching.
  76. JulienkaB.
    Feb 24, 2006
    big fish is a beautiful movie, very sensitive, great characters, a diferent burton's movie, his best movie
  77. DrewG.
    Aug 14, 2006
    incredible, burton is a genius, his dramas r the best,big fish is epic,one of the best movies i've seen ever.
  78. CK
    Aug 15, 2006
    This is honeslty one of my favorite movies. I do not understand why it got mixed reviews. It is right up there with Lord of the Rings as the best movie of '03.
  79. samf
    Apr 17, 2009
    This is one of those movies where I can say that if you don't like it, it's because you don't get it.
  80. MichaelI.
    Dec 12, 2003
    Warm, delightful, often brilliant, great characters, beautifully put together. Burton at his better-than-best.
  81. ChadS
    Nov 25, 2008
    Big Fish I Love You and I Will Cherish You! enough said.
  82. Oct 23, 2011
    The adventures of a father, narrated by himself, that captivates the senses of any spectator except his son. It's brilliant how Tim draw this adventures, full of bizarre facts, details and characters and show us in a lyrical way that maybe when our parents are narrating their adventures, we should imagine them like Tim does.

1. The movie is a gently overstuffed cinematic piñata, crammed with tall tales -- with giants and circuses and fairy-tale woods, plus a huge squirmy catfish, all served up with a literal matter-of-fact fancy that is very pleasing.
  2. Reviewed by: Clint Morris
    A tale that's so enriching, so heartwarming, so funny, so touching and so breathtaking, you'll wonder why the king of wackiness didn't branch out sooner.
  3. A misfire. The film that wants to be lighter than air instead crashes to earth with the swiftness of a concrete parachute.