Big Man Japan

5.7

1. jonC
    Sep 3, 2009
    Very trippy indeed. watch it when you're high.
  2. BillyJoeBob
    Sep 7, 2009
    It really is that funny and sad and bizarre favorite of the year.
  3. ChrisC
    Aug 16, 2009
    This film has a very defined tone, and it's a tone that happens to work very well with the story.
  4. Matt
    Aug 16, 2009
    Entertaining, but not recommended unless you've watched a LOT of Asian cinema. It is strange and dreamlike, and reminded me of Tanpopo with it's disjointedness. If you like Japanese monster films and appreciate the (really) absurd, this may be for you. Otherwise, probably not.

1. The effects are reasonably well-created, though hardly transparent. The last 15 minutes of the film spins out into unimaginable realms. Fans of this kind of stuff will leave smitten; those accompanying them to the theatre will have a pretty good time too.
    Decidedly odd, even by Japanese standards, this mockumentary about an electrically charged, skyscraper-high superhero saddled with misfortune, bad press and even worse TV ratings is tears-down-the-face funny and a genuine, jaw-dropping oddity.
    I hurt myself laughing at this amazingly inventive mockumentary, and because it's so good, I refuse to give away much more than an insistent recommendation.