6.6

1. StabsM
    Sep 4, 2008
    A prime example of the kind of movie critics hate and the proles love. :) I expected a big disconnect between the "critic" score and the "user" score, but I'm still amazed the user score is an 8.7. Look, guys, I liked this movie OK too. Sandler's dance to "I'll Tumble For You" was funny. So was the dodgeball scene. So was the Meg Ryan/Jack Nicholson discussion. And a A prime example of the kind of movie critics hate and the proles love. :) I expected a big disconnect between the "critic" score and the "user" score, but I'm still amazed the user score is an 8.7. Look, guys, I liked this movie OK too. Sandler's dance to "I'll Tumble For You" was funny. So was the dodgeball scene. So was the Meg Ryan/Jack Nicholson discussion. And a handful of others. But the humor that actually worked was limited to a handful of one liners, leaving the viewer with about an hour and twenty minutes of nothing at all. No plot, no interesting characters, no good acting (not even good comedic acting) nothing adventurous or exciting or subversive or anything that makes a comedy actually, you know, GOOD. 8.7? Come on. This is one of the best movies ever? Expand
  2. BonehoC.
    Apr 16, 2006
    This movie is the most referenced movie at our school. Once a kid said, "You know I never saw that movie," and I said, "Don't worry you're not missing anything," and my friend walks up and says, "Are you kidding? That's like greatest movie of our time," and I say, "For what, 10 minutes of laughes?" So I came here to check it out, and what do you know? The critics hate it, This movie is the most referenced movie at our school. Once a kid said, "You know I never saw that movie," and I said, "Don't worry you're not missing anything," and my friend walks up and says, "Are you kidding? That's like greatest movie of our time," and I say, "For what, 10 minutes of laughes?" So I came here to check it out, and what do you know? The critics hate it, so I was at least somewhat right. I do admit though, there are some laugh at loud moments, but most of it is roll-your-eyes at material. Expand
  3. Nov 7, 2012
    Contains a few good moments, especially towards the end, but is overall fairly flat. I wished they would've developed their characters a bit more.
  4. Apr 16, 2013
    It's an amusing 90's Comedy I'll give it that and probably one of Adam Sandler's more memorable roles but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. Very silly and borderline stupid, but for some reason there's enough nostalgia there and funny moments to make it passable. I've never been a huge fan of Sandler or his style of Comedy but out of all his films this one is probably one of theIt's an amusing 90's Comedy I'll give it that and probably one of Adam Sandler's more memorable roles but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. Very silly and borderline stupid, but for some reason there's enough nostalgia there and funny moments to make it passable. I've never been a huge fan of Sandler or his style of Comedy but out of all his films this one is probably one of the funniest, if not for the wrong reasons, but there's no denying his fan base loves whatever he does! Expand
  5. Mar 1, 2014
    Billy Madison has inspired moments of lunacy, but doesn't exactly live up to classics like Wayne's World or Austin Powers. There is one good thing though: This is nothing compared to what Sandler will make later in his career.
  6. Jun 15, 2011
    It's like everyone in this movie is funny except for Adam Sandler. Some parts made me laugh, others made me cringe. I didn't like the constant objectification of Ms. Vaughn either.
  7. MattM.
    Jun 3, 2005
    This was not the funniest movie ever but it was a film that new what it was and tried to be nothing more. not my sort of film but it's an easy one to watch that provides you with a few laughs and a few shakes of the head. hey, Gary it's people like you who make others feel inferior. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whilst you slammed Josh the films you listed are This was not the funniest movie ever but it was a film that new what it was and tried to be nothing more. not my sort of film but it's an easy one to watch that provides you with a few laughs and a few shakes of the head. hey, Gary it's people like you who make others feel inferior. Everyone is entitled to their opinion and whilst you slammed Josh the films you listed are actually pretty poor and reflect a very limited understanding or intelligence in relation to film making. classics? Pay attention to more cinema... yeah that's right. Other countries make film too Gary! Expand
  8. chw
    May 25, 2015
    Billy Madison was not a good movie. People use the excuse that "Adam Sandler is just playing an idiot." That's not true. Adam Sandler was acting like an autistic grown man with a development disorder. Forrest Gump is a good movie idiot, but Billy Madison is a child stuck in a stoned man's body.
  9. Feb 23, 2015
    the metascore is definitely too low, but Billy Madison is nothing special. It's just an all right comedy at best, but the poor (sometimes annoying) of Adam Sandler make this a difficult watch.
  10. Oct 17, 2014
    Some funny parts but mostly just overly stupid billy maidson is a low blow adam sandler comedy with not reccomended by me.............................

Overwhelming dislike - based on 13 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    One of the most execrable movies ever made. [6 March 1995, p.100]
    Sandler mugs through a back-to-school daze. [13 February 1995, p.D1]
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    The film should have featured more absurd and nonsensical elements. Certainly the plot is ridiculous, and so completely illogical that to see it fall by the wayside in favor of some inspired lunacy would not have been a loss.