6.6

1. Oct 20, 2013
    16?! Billy Masison, one of the top five funniest movies I ever saw in my life has a critic score of 16? That is just flat out wrong. This movie is legend! There are so many scenes that burn themselves into your memory and never leave; O'Doyal rules, the beetroot faced angry bus-driver ("That'd end your precious field trip real quick!"), a psychotic Steve Busemi, the brain-hemorrhaging16?! Billy Masison, one of the top five funniest movies I ever saw in my life has a critic score of 16? That is just flat out wrong. This movie is legend! There are so many scenes that burn themselves into your memory and never leave; O'Doyal rules, the beetroot faced angry bus-driver ("That'd end your precious field trip real quick!"), a psychotic Steve Busemi, the brain-hemorrhaging clown, "Hey you want to feed that donkey some beer and get it all messed up?", "He called the s**t poop!"... The list could go on and on. Absolutely legend! Expand
  2. JasonL
    Nov 10, 2005
    Hey Gary F., you mean to say that beetlejuice was funnier than Billy Madison? Your saying that Michael Keaton is funnier than Adam Sandler, Norm McDonald, and the great Chris Farley? Who are you kidding, Billy Madison is a great comedy and shouldn't be analyzed so much, it's a shame all these magazines gave it such a bad score and that Gary here "film critic extrodanair" gave it Hey Gary F., you mean to say that beetlejuice was funnier than Billy Madison? Your saying that Michael Keaton is funnier than Adam Sandler, Norm McDonald, and the great Chris Farley? Who are you kidding, Billy Madison is a great comedy and shouldn't be analyzed so much, it's a shame all these magazines gave it such a bad score and that Gary here "film critic extrodanair" gave it such a bad rating.It's a hilarious movie and if you haven't seen it,go out and do so. Expand
  3. EC.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Classic movie. Sandler at his very prime. I find the fact that critics didn't take this movie for what it is, a dumb comedy, absolutely ridiculous.
  4. Kev
    Jan 24, 2006
    Everyone loves Billy Madison. So what if it's mindless entertainment? Not everything has to be "brilliant."
  5. Sep 9, 2012
    one of my favs, so many good one liners. If your watching it for cinematic excellence you won't get it, look elsewhere. I saw this for the first time when I was 10 and I still quote it with my friends.
  6. Nov 4, 2012
    Adam Sandler is not known for outstanding cinematography, moving storylines or intelligently-written scripts. He's known for his hilarious movies. This is one of his finest.
  7. NoBody
    Jul 1, 2008
    It's a travesty this movie is in the bottom 100.
  8. Apr 29, 2011
    The movie wasn't witty but one crucial thing saved this movie, it's absolutely FANTASTIC humour. Every 5 minutes, I just couldn't help but laugh. Don't listen to the critics. All they want is some drama. WATCH THIS MOVIE!
  9. DouglasM
    May 13, 2008
    Best movie ever made-(Full Stop).
  10. AlexS.
    Jun 24, 2008
    For me, Billy Madison fits into the same category as Wayne's World and The Cable Guy. Great comedies of the 90's which more than 10 years later and after dozens of views still have no problems in making me laugh.
  11. BM.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Honestly, I just don't trust professional reviewers with comedies. They are usually right with dramas, action flicks, sci fi stuff, etc., but with comedy, these people just don't get it! Why else are there thousands of comedians out there in the world instead of just a few? Because everybody likes different types of comedies! This is an amazingly hilarious movie, filled with a Honestly, I just don't trust professional reviewers with comedies. They are usually right with dramas, action flicks, sci fi stuff, etc., but with comedy, these people just don't get it! Why else are there thousands of comedians out there in the world instead of just a few? Because everybody likes different types of comedies! This is an amazingly hilarious movie, filled with a neverending stream of laughs. Only problem: It's a little immature. For some reason, the reviewers see this as a reason to give it a bad grade. But hey, who doesn't act a little immature from time to time? it's silly, it's stupid, it's unrealistic, and hey, I loved every minute of it! Expand
  12. MorganF
    Jul 20, 2008
    Why is this movie in the bottom 100? I found it hilarious. One of Sandler's best.
  13. mattb
    Apr 2, 2009
    It seems that all of adams movies got low grades because there immature, but the critics have somthing so far up there ass they dont realize how funny the imaturity is. And anyways who really cares, adam sandler made millions of his movies.
  14. NickW
    May 3, 2009
    This is one of my favorite movies of all time, still. Of course that makes my score biased, but if I went from an completely unbiased point of view, I'd still give this movie a 8 or 9. It's funny and simple while still appealing to someone with an IQ over 10 - Which is a severe rarity these days.
  15. StevenH.
    Jun 15, 2008
    Seeing the glaring red rating of "16" for BIlly Madison made me laugh nearly as much as the movie. As much as I love reading reviews, it just goes to show how seriously Critics take themselves; Billy Madison is so stupid that they wouldn't even allow themselves to laugh at it. Lighten Up!
  16. KM
    Mar 19, 2009
    Love it, but the critics are right in saying it is mindless. That's the point though right??
  17. sunshineW
    Dec 11, 2008
    The epitome of a ridiculously funny, absolutely enjoyable movie that is also, by all standards, a bad film, which lends even more to the charm. I'm going to watch it again right now. Its nudy magazine day!
  18. KentC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Definitely not worth a "16". It's probably the most quotable movie I've ever seen along with Big Daddy. Definitely Sandler's funniest movie and loads better than crap like Chuck and Larry, I've seen this movie literally 10 times and it never gets old. This comedy classic is definitely something any fan of comedies should watch.
  19. SamL.
    Jan 4, 2007
    This is why I hate critics. This movie should not be taken seriously, and is one of the funniest ever made.
  20. SteveM.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Adam Sandler's finest. He needs to stop making lame dramas and comedic-dramas, go back to his roots.
  21. JimmyF.
    Oct 8, 2007
    This is why I don't listen to critics.....they have no clue what they are talking about! American Classic.
  22. StephenC.
    May 8, 2008
    Liked it much better back when I smoked pot in my younger days. Would have given it higher then (no pun intended). Still provides good laughs at ridiculous, couldn't-be-true situations that are still very funny. Sometimes I think they make critics take an oath to be stodgy. This movie requires you to lighten up to enjoy. Maybe the critics should try an herbal remedy.
  23. Oct 15, 2010
    This movie is a Sandler classic, and by the looks of the User Scores, most people would agree. Critics got this one wrong, because it's funny from start to finish. I'd gladly watch this and Happy Gilmore all the time.
  24. Oct 11, 2010
    A quite good movie with a dorky actor. It is a corny movie for the most crude. Many references to male body parts that are just plain gross and not funny. This movie is basically what you would expect from a movie with Adam Sandler as a dorky adult goof-off.
  25. Nov 19, 2011
    Not a not a normal comedy or movie, it's weirdly funny and unique, but it's extremely hilarious and succeeds because it doesn't take itself seriously, it knows it's unique and embraces the fact that it is, so I do recommend watching this, but don't expect the most normal movie out there.
  26. Sep 1, 2011
    Whooooaaaaaa!!!! A fully-compiled Metascore of 16?!?!?!?!?! That's ridiculous. That's not to say that BILLY MADISON is perfect, but this is a heck of a funny movie!
  27. Dec 20, 2011
    Adam Sandler gives a great performance in one of his best movies to date. While there is a big sense of immaturity, it may make you laugh throughout.
  28. FrancoH.
    Aug 2, 2006
    This movie was hillarious! It's a shame that critics think that this was a bad movie, because they need to get the stick out of their ass!
  29. JoeyK.
    Aug 8, 2005
    A 16? This movie was hilarious! Not the best ever, but it's on par with other Adam Sandler Classics. How could this get a 16?
  30. JacksonG.
    Jan 4, 2007
    One of the very few funny Adam Sandler movies.
  31. Brian
    Apr 3, 2006
    I was surprised to see this got a 16 from the critics. Then I thought about it for a second and I understood... sort of... well, maybe they're too old to get it. It's a new classic; one of those movies that if you find out one of your friends never saw it, you immediately force them to watch it. Maybe you have to have been born between 1975 and 1985 to feel this way, but it I was surprised to see this got a 16 from the critics. Then I thought about it for a second and I understood... sort of... well, maybe they're too old to get it. It's a new classic; one of those movies that if you find out one of your friends never saw it, you immediately force them to watch it. Maybe you have to have been born between 1975 and 1985 to feel this way, but it became part of our psyches. And even if you don't think it's that funny, it must have done something right to become such an important part of 90s pop culture. And we can all agree that Billy Madison is funnier than Naked Gun 33 and a third. Expand
  32. MelvinM.
    Aug 2, 2006
    Billy Madison and Universal Acclaim wouldn't usually go in the same sentence. But it should--and at least we users have spoken.
  33. AndrewH
    Aug 29, 2007
    One of the funnier movies ever made. I guess there reviews just show that they should stop sending middle aged, suit wearing men to every movie. How about sending people in the target demo? Ever thought of that? These critics think there *$# doesn't smell, screw them.
  34. Ian
    Aug 6, 2007
    One of my all time favourite comedies. I feel sorry for the "professional" -and I use that term lightly- critics who obviously have no sense of humor.
  35. Maxx
    Oct 4, 2005
    This is hilarious...how in the hell did it get a 16 out of 100???? the critics must have been watching a different movie.
  36. joshuam.
    Feb 16, 2005
    It is the best and funniest movie ever.
  37. billym.
    Apr 11, 2005
    Sweet dude!!!!
  38. Chris
    Oct 25, 2006
    A classic.
  39. RodG.
    Feb 20, 2007
    My comments are mostly in response to the 13 supossed critics that bashed this movie. You people take yourselves too serious. Why didn't your empolyers have someone with a sense of humor critique the movie? Newsflash: It's supposed to be stupid and simple.
  40. DrewT.
    Mar 13, 2007
    Critics be damned! This movie is absolutely hilarious. Look at reader average - we aren't afraid to recognize funny at the risk of "lowering" ourselves.
  41. JasonS.
    Jul 9, 2007
    The type of movie critics shouldn't be allowed to review - it's like asking a classical music fan for their opinion on Master of Puppets. Hilarious - only topped, IMO, by Happy Gilmore, ever so slightly.
  42. EltonT.
    Jul 13, 2005
    Come on this is FUNNY... The penguin!! That was funny stuff. I have to admit the first time I watched the movie I thought it was pretty dumb... but then I watch it again and I couldn't stop laughing.
  43. DavidC.
    Sep 25, 2007
    I was looking at low scores this deserved at least an 80. The movie isn't bad at all and is worth watching at least 10 times in your life its a classic.
  44. KumarP.
    Dec 29, 2005
    Yes its stupid. Yes it makes no sense. Yes its hilarious.
  45. SamB.
    Dec 21, 2006
    One of the funnier Adam Sandler movies, cult classic.
  46. Apr 3, 2015
    16 Metacritic?
    Whats wrong with you all.

Another example why I always look at user reviews.

Billy Madison is a classic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  47. Apr 1, 2012
    this movie was freaking hilarious i just saw it with my friend on netflix and it was so funny one of my favorites of all time comedies. it can be a little childish but it still was a great movie and suggest others see it to
  48. May 9, 2013
    Plays in favour of the underdog. Billy Madison is not to be underestimated and neither is Sandler as a typical penguin chasing dummy. The film is a warm and fuzzy flick featuring some of Adam's greatest moments and is certainly one of the best of his career. It proves that you can do anything if you put your mind to it.
  49. Sep 1, 2014
    Billy Madison is definitely not one of the best Adam Sandler's movie and the jokes are not all funny.Sandler's performance is not really good either but the movie was entertaining.
  50. Aug 7, 2014
    One of my favorite Adam Sandler films I ever watched. If I tell my friends to watch a movie with Adam Sandler, Billy Madison is the movie to see in your entire life.
  51. Jan 28, 2015
    DOES NOT deserve a 16, this is one of Adam Sandlers best, it was funny, had a nice story, and was well made .
  52. Apr 13, 2015
    DECENT, It felt really unique that I have never seen before, It should have been one of Adam Sandler's CLASSIC movies,I absolutely had no what so ever problems with this film!

Overwhelming dislike - based on 13 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    One of the most execrable movies ever made. [6 March 1995, p.100]
    Sandler mugs through a back-to-school daze. [13 February 1995, p.D1]
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    The film should have featured more absurd and nonsensical elements. Certainly the plot is ridiculous, and so completely illogical that to see it fall by the wayside in favor of some inspired lunacy would not have been a loss.