6.6

1. Oct 20, 2013
    16?! Billy Masison, one of the top five funniest movies I ever saw in my life has a critic score of 16? That is just flat out wrong. This movie is legend! There are so many scenes that burn themselves into your memory and never leave; O'Doyal rules, the beetroot faced angry bus-driver ("That'd end your precious field trip real quick!"), a psychotic Steve Busemi, the brain-hemorrhaging16?! Billy Masison, one of the top five funniest movies I ever saw in my life has a critic score of 16? That is just flat out wrong. This movie is legend! There are so many scenes that burn themselves into your memory and never leave; O'Doyal rules, the beetroot faced angry bus-driver ("That'd end your precious field trip real quick!"), a psychotic Steve Busemi, the brain-hemorrhaging clown, "Hey you want to feed that donkey some beer and get it all messed up?", "He called the s**t poop!"... The list could go on and on. Absolutely legend! Expand
  2. JasonL
    Nov 10, 2005
    Hey Gary F., you mean to say that beetlejuice was funnier than Billy Madison? Your saying that Michael Keaton is funnier than Adam Sandler, Norm McDonald, and the great Chris Farley? Who are you kidding, Billy Madison is a great comedy and shouldn't be analyzed so much, it's a shame all these magazines gave it such a bad score and that Gary here "film critic extrodanair" gave it Hey Gary F., you mean to say that beetlejuice was funnier than Billy Madison? Your saying that Michael Keaton is funnier than Adam Sandler, Norm McDonald, and the great Chris Farley? Who are you kidding, Billy Madison is a great comedy and shouldn't be analyzed so much, it's a shame all these magazines gave it such a bad score and that Gary here "film critic extrodanair" gave it such a bad rating.It's a hilarious movie and if you haven't seen it,go out and do so. Expand
  3. StabsM
    Sep 4, 2008
    A prime example of the kind of movie critics hate and the proles love. :) I expected a big disconnect between the "critic" score and the "user" score, but I'm still amazed the user score is an 8.7. Look, guys, I liked this movie OK too. Sandler's dance to "I'll Tumble For You" was funny. So was the dodgeball scene. So was the Meg Ryan/Jack Nicholson discussion. And a A prime example of the kind of movie critics hate and the proles love. :) I expected a big disconnect between the "critic" score and the "user" score, but I'm still amazed the user score is an 8.7. Look, guys, I liked this movie OK too. Sandler's dance to "I'll Tumble For You" was funny. So was the dodgeball scene. So was the Meg Ryan/Jack Nicholson discussion. And a handful of others. But the humor that actually worked was limited to a handful of one liners, leaving the viewer with about an hour and twenty minutes of nothing at all. No plot, no interesting characters, no good acting (not even good comedic acting) nothing adventurous or exciting or subversive or anything that makes a comedy actually, you know, GOOD. 8.7? Come on. This is one of the best movies ever? Expand
  4. EC.
    Nov 10, 2006
    Classic movie. Sandler at his very prime. I find the fact that critics didn't take this movie for what it is, a dumb comedy, absolutely ridiculous.
  5. Kev
    Jan 24, 2006
    Everyone loves Billy Madison. So what if it's mindless entertainment? Not everything has to be "brilliant."
  6. BonehoC.
    Apr 16, 2006
    This movie is the most referenced movie at our school. Once a kid said, "You know I never saw that movie," and I said, "Don't worry you're not missing anything," and my friend walks up and says, "Are you kidding? That's like greatest movie of our time," and I say, "For what, 10 minutes of laughes?" So I came here to check it out, and what do you know? The critics hate it, This movie is the most referenced movie at our school. Once a kid said, "You know I never saw that movie," and I said, "Don't worry you're not missing anything," and my friend walks up and says, "Are you kidding? That's like greatest movie of our time," and I say, "For what, 10 minutes of laughes?" So I came here to check it out, and what do you know? The critics hate it, so I was at least somewhat right. I do admit though, there are some laugh at loud moments, but most of it is roll-your-eyes at material. Expand
  7. Sep 9, 2012
    one of my favs, so many good one liners. If your watching it for cinematic excellence you won't get it, look elsewhere. I saw this for the first time when I was 10 and I still quote it with my friends.
  8. Nov 4, 2012
    Adam Sandler is not known for outstanding cinematography, moving storylines or intelligently-written scripts. He's known for his hilarious movies. This is one of his finest.
  9. Nov 7, 2012
    Contains a few good moments, especially towards the end, but is overall fairly flat. I wished they would've developed their characters a bit more.
  10. Apr 16, 2013
    It's an amusing 90's Comedy I'll give it that and probably one of Adam Sandler's more memorable roles but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. Very silly and borderline stupid, but for some reason there's enough nostalgia there and funny moments to make it passable. I've never been a huge fan of Sandler or his style of Comedy but out of all his films this one is probably one of theIt's an amusing 90's Comedy I'll give it that and probably one of Adam Sandler's more memorable roles but that doesn't mean it's a good movie. Very silly and borderline stupid, but for some reason there's enough nostalgia there and funny moments to make it passable. I've never been a huge fan of Sandler or his style of Comedy but out of all his films this one is probably one of the funniest, if not for the wrong reasons, but there's no denying his fan base loves whatever he does! Expand
  11. NoBody
    Jul 1, 2008
    It's a travesty this movie is in the bottom 100.
  12. Apr 29, 2011
    The movie wasn't witty but one crucial thing saved this movie, it's absolutely FANTASTIC humour. Every 5 minutes, I just couldn't help but laugh. Don't listen to the critics. All they want is some drama. WATCH THIS MOVIE!
  13. Aug 27, 2010
    This movie basically spawned my dislike of Adam Sandler. It's interesting that he always chooses to play characters that the viewer is suppose to sympathize but have no reason to deserve our sympathy. Oh, and on top of that it isn't funny - it has scenes and lines that are meant to grab our attention, but that's about it.
  14. DouglasM
    May 13, 2008
    Best movie ever made-(Full Stop).
  15. AlexS.
    Jun 24, 2008
    For me, Billy Madison fits into the same category as Wayne's World and The Cable Guy. Great comedies of the 90's which more than 10 years later and after dozens of views still have no problems in making me laugh.
  16. BM.
    Jun 6, 2008
    Honestly, I just don't trust professional reviewers with comedies. They are usually right with dramas, action flicks, sci fi stuff, etc., but with comedy, these people just don't get it! Why else are there thousands of comedians out there in the world instead of just a few? Because everybody likes different types of comedies! This is an amazingly hilarious movie, filled with a Honestly, I just don't trust professional reviewers with comedies. They are usually right with dramas, action flicks, sci fi stuff, etc., but with comedy, these people just don't get it! Why else are there thousands of comedians out there in the world instead of just a few? Because everybody likes different types of comedies! This is an amazingly hilarious movie, filled with a neverending stream of laughs. Only problem: It's a little immature. For some reason, the reviewers see this as a reason to give it a bad grade. But hey, who doesn't act a little immature from time to time? it's silly, it's stupid, it's unrealistic, and hey, I loved every minute of it! Expand
  17. MorganF
    Jul 20, 2008
    Why is this movie in the bottom 100? I found it hilarious. One of Sandler's best.
  18. mattb
    Apr 2, 2009
    It seems that all of adams movies got low grades because there immature, but the critics have somthing so far up there ass they dont realize how funny the imaturity is. And anyways who really cares, adam sandler made millions of his movies.
  19. NickW
    May 3, 2009
    This is one of my favorite movies of all time, still. Of course that makes my score biased, but if I went from an completely unbiased point of view, I'd still give this movie a 8 or 9. It's funny and simple while still appealing to someone with an IQ over 10 - Which is a severe rarity these days.
  20. StevenH.
    Jun 15, 2008
    Seeing the glaring red rating of "16" for BIlly Madison made me laugh nearly as much as the movie. As much as I love reading reviews, it just goes to show how seriously Critics take themselves; Billy Madison is so stupid that they wouldn't even allow themselves to laugh at it. Lighten Up!
  21. KM
    Mar 19, 2009
    Love it, but the critics are right in saying it is mindless. That's the point though right??
  22. sunshineW
    Dec 11, 2008
    The epitome of a ridiculously funny, absolutely enjoyable movie that is also, by all standards, a bad film, which lends even more to the charm. I'm going to watch it again right now. Its nudy magazine day!
  23. Mar 1, 2014
    Billy Madison has inspired moments of lunacy, but doesn't exactly live up to classics like Wayne's World or Austin Powers. There is one good thing though: This is nothing compared to what Sandler will make later in his career.
  24. Nov 12, 2010
    Funny. But rubbish.
    If i wanted to see a grown man act like a stupid kid, i would watch a video on youtube.
    Anyone who says this movie is the best movie they have ever seen, has obviously not seen good movies.
  25. KentC.
    Jan 13, 2008
    One of the funniest movies I've ever seen. Definitely not worth a "16". It's probably the most quotable movie I've ever seen along with Big Daddy. Definitely Sandler's funniest movie and loads better than crap like Chuck and Larry, I've seen this movie literally 10 times and it never gets old. This comedy classic is definitely something any fan of comedies should watch.
  26. Jun 15, 2011
    It's like everyone in this movie is funny except for Adam Sandler. Some parts made me laugh, others made me cringe. I didn't like the constant objectification of Ms. Vaughn either.
  27. Dec 31, 2011
    Absolutely pitiful garbage. Terribly acted, and even more pitifully written. A total and worthless piece of garbage that one should ever torture their reasoning enough to see.
  28. SamL.
    Jan 4, 2007
    This is why I hate critics. This movie should not be taken seriously, and is one of the funniest ever made.
  29. SteveM.
    Apr 6, 2008
    Adam Sandler's finest. He needs to stop making lame dramas and comedic-dramas, go back to his roots.

Overwhelming dislike - based on 13 Critics

1. Reviewed by: Richard Schickel
    One of the most execrable movies ever made. [6 March 1995, p.100]
    Sandler mugs through a back-to-school daze. [13 February 1995, p.D1]
  3. Reviewed by: Staff (Not credited)
    The film should have featured more absurd and nonsensical elements. Certainly the plot is ridiculous, and so completely illogical that to see it fall by the wayside in favor of some inspired lunacy would not have been a loss.