7.2

1. Feb 20, 2011
    I greatly admired Bardem's performance, which is well deserving of an Oscar. Unfortunately, the movie was so dark and unpleasant, that I was really uncomfortable sitting through it. Despite Bardem's performance, I could not get myself to like his character. Nor were any of the other major characters likable. Without finding a character I could identify with, I cannot give the film aI greatly admired Bardem's performance, which is well deserving of an Oscar. Unfortunately, the movie was so dark and unpleasant, that I was really uncomfortable sitting through it. Despite Bardem's performance, I could not get myself to like his character. Nor were any of the other major characters likable. Without finding a character I could identify with, I cannot give the film a positive score. Expand
  2. Jun 5, 2011
    Very very slow and monotone. If you want to feel depressed without a real purpose, try this movie. Visually not bad, overall, I see a missed opportunity.
  3. May 2, 2011
    So disappointing. Great acting, great cinematography but it lacks a decent story. I could only watch half and give up. I noticed from the reviews that this was the first film by Alejandro which did not the screenwriter Guillermo Arriaga and it shows. Its like a sequel to a charlie kaufman movie , but without kaufman.
  4. Mar 13, 2011
    I have never seen a movie that was was damn and deliberately depressing in my life. Why not mutilate some animals and throw that in. I liked this director's first two films but Babel was boring. This just rubbed despair in your face. "Blue Valentine" was a fun filled blast compared to this. I wanted to slit my wrist s. Also, cut out the piano soundtrack. I am heading to my Prozac.

1. Reviewed by: Rick Groen
    Feb 11, 2011
    In this vast balloon of a film, Bardem is the ballast – that Manichean face is a movie onto itself.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Feb 4, 2011
    It is raw, it is searing, it is honest.
  3. Reviewed by: Joe Williams
    Feb 3, 2011
    The saving grace of Biutiful is Bardem.