Black Hawk Down

8.0

1. May 22, 2016
    really good it really shows the horror of war and as one who hates when America is always the greatest I can say this is ok because this rally happened
  2. Apr 18, 2016
    This movie is so intense, I literally had to pause it to take a breather. The film truly captures the harrowing experience of war.

Watch it online for free: https://www.primewire.ag/watch-1389-Black-Hawk-Down
  3. Mar 26, 2016
    War is hell for 100 continuous minutes of screen time in “Black Hawk Down,” a relentless immersion in combat strikingly realized but none too pleasurable to sit through. Based on journalist Mark Bowden’s bestselling account of the 1993 fiasco on the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia, which left 18 American soldiers dead and more than 70 badly injured, this grim piece of work forcefully putsWar is hell for 100 continuous minutes of screen time in “Black Hawk Down,” a relentless immersion in combat strikingly realized but none too pleasurable to sit through. Based on journalist Mark Bowden’s bestselling account of the 1993 fiasco on the streets of Mogadishu, Somalia, which left 18 American soldiers dead and more than 70 badly injured, this grim piece of work forcefully puts the viewer in the middle of the action in a harrowing way. But it crucially lacks almost everything but fighting, most particularly characterization, making Ridley Scott’s second picture this year, after “Hannibal,” almost entirely about logistics. Very well judged in its philosophical stance toward the material, this collaboration between Revolution Studios and Jerry Bruckheimer at Sony goes down like stiff medicine, leaving one feeling exhausted relief when it’s finally over. War film buffs and Scott fans will turn out, but general audiences, and women in particular, will approach with extreme caution.

Of the war films that have come out since “Saving Private Ryan,” “Black Hawk Down” most closely resembles “Enemy at the Gates,” about the siege of Stalingrad, in that both are cold accounts of remorseless urban warfare marked by constant sniping in abjectly squalid settings. The new film’s protracted detailing of door-by-door, block-by-block fighting may also remind viewers of portions of “Band of Brothers,” but that comparison only serves to underscore the present feature’s shortcomings, in that the epic HBO series was able to develop interesting characters in the service of dramatic involvement and tension, elements conspicuously missing here.

Unfortunately, it also refrains from giving you anything to feel other than general revulsion for war. Token attempts are made to differentiate the Delta Force, the aristocrats of U.S. military, from the only somewhat less exalted Task Force Rangers, but with their buzz cuts, buff bods and similar ways of talking, it’s not easy to tell the soldiers apart, nor is one encouraged to think that it’s going to be worth the effort, given how little attention Scott and the script give to the matter.

Perhaps receiving marginally more screen time than most of the others is Staff Sgt. Matt Eversmann (Josh Hartnett), who is unexpectedly put in command of one of the “chalks” that will secure the area around the Mogadishu building being raided by the Deltas. Also standing out from the pack from time to time are Ranger Lt. Col. Danny McKnight (Tom Sizemore), a fearless older soldier who comes across as a more human version of Robert Duvall’s Kilgore in “Apocalypse Now;” Delta Sgt. First Class Jeff Sanderson (William Fichtner), a resourceful pro; and Ranger Spec. Grimes (Ewan McGregor), a desk man who finally gets his shot at combat.

After a half-hour of preliminaries, Operation “Irene” begins, and the sight of 19 helicopters buzzing over the desert beaches toward the bleached-white city in the afternoon sun is stunning to behold. The 160 men, some of whom arrive on 12 Humvees and trucks, expect to be in and out within an hour and, indeed, it takes only 20 minutes for the Deltas to land, assault the building and take the two “Tier One” targets and numerous other prisoners.

A solid hour consists of little but constant shooting and shouted dialogue, making it tough to engage with characters you barely know. It may well have been Scott’s aim to keep the men basically anonymous and interchangeable — to further the point that this is what war is, that it has always been thus and always will be. And while the specific historical setting of Mogadishu is stunningly evoked via an amazing blend of location shooting, mostly in the city of Sale, Morocco, near Rabat, and on production designer Arthur Max’s utterly realistic sets, there is a simultaneous generalized feeling to the action that makes the film an expression of resignation over humankind’s need to play out these fatal scenarios over and over.

Perhaps at somewhat shorter length these points could have been made more effectively, but the pummeling viewers get — which can be rationalized intellectually as “putting them through” the firefight as vividly as possible — makes the film more rewarding to think about afterward than to actually experience. Pic will have a decidedly limited pool of repeat viewers.

However, Hans Zimmer’s score effectively juggles numerous different modes, from World Music sounds and choral work to source material.
  4. Dec 3, 2015
    A great war movie , which tells grueling war against the nation of Somalia, but even surpassed by the movie Saving Private Ryan , Ridley Scott does not lose the move to film .
  5. Nov 26, 2015
    Black Hawk Down is a very well made movie with some of the best editing and action scenes in years. Scott brings you into the film like you were actually there, experiencing the terror all around you.
  6. Mar 29, 2015
    Not just a thoughtless quip-and-rip action blockbuster - decently memorable characters, precise tactical narrative, and a good amount of heart. And surprisingly, bridging the edge of my gore tolerance but not too overwhelmingly violent for me.
  7. Sep 13, 2014
    Black Hawk Down is a great war movie, with great battle sequences, effects and design. It is unfortunate, because that is all it has. It has no real depth to be found. All of its characters are indistinguishable from each another most times, and there is no real message.

It is a movie with great action, but no message. No personality. It's all flash and no substance. Of course, I will give special mention to Tom Sizemore, for giving the best performance in the film. Whether or not that is really "saying something" or not is unclear. Regardless, Black Hawk Down is a great war film, but is mediocre at almost everything else. But, its gritty and accurate depiction of combat makes up for this often times, so I can't complain.
  8. Jul 5, 2014
    Black Hawk Down is a war movie based on a true story. I liked it very much. Cast of excellent actors like Eric Bana and William Fichtner. Fantastic special effects. Falling helicopter looks really authentic.
  9. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best war movies of all time!There is a dream cast and they are just perfect in their roles.There is non-stop action and this is have some awesome visual effects(Good explosions)
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    Black Hawk Down is a gritty, intense war drama that is more realistic than the average war film. It's all star cast shines with their acting skills in the high-tension, high-thrill combat scenes where anyone could die at any second. And just when you thought the scene couldn't get bloodier, it does. But that's what makes Black Hawk Down a notable movie worth watching.
  11. Jan 25, 2014
    I have always enjoyed war movies. Black Hawk Down is one of the better war movies I have seen. There is a ton of action to keep everyone entertained the whole way through. This film has been made very well, and isn't to hard to watch worth of gore. It is definitely worth watching.
  12. Dec 24, 2013
    A perfect portrait of the bloodiest battle that the US army had fought ever since Vietnam War It may lack depth in terms of characters, but on the whole it is definitely the best movie of the year for successfully describing the terror of war as well as mixed feelings accompanying every Delta soldier as they struggle to rescue their brothers-in-arms and go home with their families.
  13. Dec 9, 2013
    This movie is probably one of the best war-movies ever made. In my own opinion, the actors playing their individual characters feel very authentic and really sticks out one by one. Sincerely touching, even though there is a lot of controversy about the US army today. There is not much to say than: “go and watch it”, I can definitely promise an amazing journey through the human ways of warThis movie is probably one of the best war-movies ever made. In my own opinion, the actors playing their individual characters feel very authentic and really sticks out one by one. Sincerely touching, even though there is a lot of controversy about the US army today. There is not much to say than: “go and watch it”, I can definitely promise an amazing journey through the human ways of war and terror and/or reality of life and death, assuming you love movies and in that case especially war-movies. With that written and on a final note, the music really lifts the movie up and makes it one of my favourite movies of all time. 10/10. Expand
  14. Nov 15, 2013
    Fantastic war film. Light on character development, but it's not really needed. Completely engrossing and overwhelming as we watch the Battle of Mogadishu completely unfold for nearly the entire film. All of the actors put their heart into this one, as does Ridley Scott, and the result is not the best war film, but certainly one of the best war films.
  15. Sep 25, 2013
    Black Hawk Down is a great action-packed war movie. But if you look through the absolute insanity that is a country at war with itself, you'll be given a glimpse at what it means for America to be the world superpower and what others see when good will is met with ruthless opposition. Like Vietnam, this wasn't the United States' fight. But when innocent lives are gratuitously slain inBlack Hawk Down is a great action-packed war movie. But if you look through the absolute insanity that is a country at war with itself, you'll be given a glimpse at what it means for America to be the world superpower and what others see when good will is met with ruthless opposition. Like Vietnam, this wasn't the United States' fight. But when innocent lives are gratuitously slain in the show of power, earning the fear and submission of those underneath you, movies like Black Hawk Down can easily offer arguments to where politics are a hindrance when there's men and women across the world that are ready to come to the aid of those who cannot help themselves. If you love cool action, you're going to love Black Hawk Down. If you love conscience found in the most desperate circumstances, there's something here for you too. Expand
  16. Aug 31, 2013
    A very good casting, a good story, but it's not a memorable film like Full Metal Jacket for ex.
    I think the film will be better if he had shown more of the side enemies.
    Not the best film of Mr Scott but an honest War Film.
  17. Jul 2, 2013
    Based on the events encompassing the fateful Battle of Mogadishu, "Black Hawk Down" successfully delivers a beautiful example of brilliant directorial prowess, a sobering mosaic of heartrending performances, and one of cinema's most enduring thematic ideas War is hell.
  18. Jun 26, 2013
    This movie, which by the way, is based of a book of the same name written in 1999 by Mark Bowden is a great way to teach and learn about the events that happened in the Battle of Mogadishu. I, however, knew about this particular battle before watching the movie gave me a new perspective on the battle. It was a very depressing and horrid event, but I am glad to say that this movie is veryThis movie, which by the way, is based of a book of the same name written in 1999 by Mark Bowden is a great way to teach and learn about the events that happened in the Battle of Mogadishu. I, however, knew about this particular battle before watching the movie gave me a new perspective on the battle. It was a very depressing and horrid event, but I am glad to say that this movie is very good and you can watch it free on Netflix now so why not watch it? Anyways, I can gladly say that movie has aged well and is still a pleasure to watch. I really do feel the emotions and hardship the troops went through. The key players in this are the U.S. Special Forces (160th SOAR, Delta Force, and the 75th Rangers) and Mohamed Farrah Aidid and his militia, who by the way, are blocking the food/medicine supplies as their weapon. So the US Special Forces are sent in after an attack on UN and Pakistani troops. The movie is all about the title "Black Hawk Down" for those of you who don't know a Black Hawk is a military helicopter. A helicopter crashes and ground troops and helicopters are reverted to go back to the crash site to get back the survivors and equipment. Anyways, now that you know the plot, the movie acts this out very well and I think the SFX were brilliant for their age. I also loved the cast of characters and their role in the movie, they all seem connected. I love military movies and documentaries, so this review may be a bit biased. BUT, compared to the other horrible military movies out there this is a must watch for anyone, really. Expand
  19. Dec 19, 2012
    Some critics say that the director (Scott) doesn't tell the whole story about the rebellion in Somalia and I agree, but I also think that if you watch these movie you have take under consideration two things: first the title off the movie and second that the title of the movie tells you, on whom perspective is this story being told and this is from the US soldiers perspective. Don't getSome critics say that the director (Scott) doesn't tell the whole story about the rebellion in Somalia and I agree, but I also think that if you watch these movie you have take under consideration two things: first the title off the movie and second that the title of the movie tells you, on whom perspective is this story being told and this is from the US soldiers perspective. Don't get mad for a movie that represents an American being a hero, this has happened all the way from the beginning in the movies industry.The movie does have great special effects and you can feel the frustration and fear of the soldiers in the battle field. It also has a great cast. Expand
  20. Nov 8, 2012
    Contains some of the best action sequences I've ever seen, but the film's true hero is the cinematographer. It's great to look at.
  21. Jun 6, 2012
    The best war movie since Saving Private Ryan, the horrors of war are chillingly depicted, and the cast all give stellar performances, no matter how minor their role is. It's a shame that some of the real story is left out, the additions of which would have elevated the film, even if only slightly.
  22. Apr 3, 2012
    First off, this would be a 9.5 out of 10. Great movie. Acting is good. Everyone does a fine performance in the movie. Score is great. The music throughout the movie is really weLl made. The story is also great as well. The action/war scenes are well made. They can be pretty epic. Overall, this is one of the best war movies ever. It's intense and a great movie to watch. Highly recommended.
  23. Mar 22, 2012
    When i saw this movie i was absolutely impressed. A true Ridley Scott masterpiece, thrilling until the very end with excellent actors performance. In my eyes one of the best war movies I have seen which still did not loose its actuality
  24. Feb 21, 2012
    I love this movie, because unlike a lot of action and war movies out there, this one has a lot of tension in it, each action scene is dramatic and smart, not something over the top and dumb. It's realism worked to the film's advantage to deliver one of the smartest war films since Saving Private Ryan.
  25. Dec 26, 2011
    Ridley Scott's true-story-based "Black Hawk Down" is too broad for the picture. During a monotonous 2 hours, the so called 'realism' is seen in his never ending battlefield where the U.S gets all the respect and bad-ass deaths with last line memorable quotes spurring out from their tongues. BUT. I still give credit for his decision to portray a battle lost by the US. I think it's one ofRidley Scott's true-story-based "Black Hawk Down" is too broad for the picture. During a monotonous 2 hours, the so called 'realism' is seen in his never ending battlefield where the U.S gets all the respect and bad-ass deaths with last line memorable quotes spurring out from their tongues. BUT. I still give credit for his decision to portray a battle lost by the US. I think it's one of the first non-bias-tried movies. Expand
  26. Oct 20, 2011
    This movie is full of fast paced action throughout. Set in Somalia, a group of soldiers are sent in on a peacekeeping operation. However, it all goes wrong and the chopper is shot down, leaving them stranded in the middle of a village with angry hostile soldiers and civilians. Other choppers are sent in for backup, and chaos breaks loose. Lot's of violence, blood and guts. GreatThis movie is full of fast paced action throughout. Set in Somalia, a group of soldiers are sent in on a peacekeeping operation. However, it all goes wrong and the chopper is shot down, leaving them stranded in the middle of a village with angry hostile soldiers and civilians. Other choppers are sent in for backup, and chaos breaks loose. Lot's of violence, blood and guts. Great characters, and played tremendously well by the actors. Black Hawk down is a great war movie. The plot is a bit basic and shaky, but it is a great movie nevertheless and one I recommend to any war movie fan. Expand
  27. Sep 13, 2011
    This is a very good movie, it's show the reality of war along all problems that derivates from it. There is a lot of drammatic and emotional scenes that shows soldiers seriously injured near to death and other scenes that show their bravery and also their fear of being in an very dangerous battlefield. This movie demostrates the background of the civilian war in Somalia with a veryThis is a very good movie, it's show the reality of war along all problems that derivates from it. There is a lot of drammatic and emotional scenes that shows soldiers seriously injured near to death and other scenes that show their bravery and also their fear of being in an very dangerous battlefield. This movie demostrates the background of the civilian war in Somalia with a very realistic approach, showing how is the situation of many 3rd world countries and what kind of reality the U.S seals and the native people of this countries have to face daily. One of the weak spots of this film is that there is a lot of action and not much dialogue and story, it's a non stop action film, but it's anyway a good movie, but not an masterpiece. Expand
  28. Aug 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Black Hawk Down. The quintessential movie of every first person shooter junkie. I decided I was gonna dig up this movie when I was sitting half way through Hotel Rwanda and the news story of the tragic 38 fatalities which occurred this past Saturday in Afghanistan came to mind. Mistaking it at first for a â Expand
  29. Jan 12, 2011
    Great movies that simply shows the harsh realities of war. Does it sensationalize? Perhaps but I feel it it does more to show the heroic efforts of our young men in battle. It is somewhat perplexing to see a Christian rag bash it when Christian Conservatives typically march us into these messes.
  30. Aug 24, 2010
    US Forces go into Somalia to get rebel boss, helicopter gets shot down, have to rescue them, another helicopter goes down, more rescuing.
    Starts off quite slow for the first half hour then once the action starts, it never stops.
    Top notch battle scenes with a top notch cast, great visuals & breathtaking action throughout.
  31. Aug 22, 2010
    a epic war movie about the 90s war in somalia . ridley scott really catures the feeling that you are in a war . the action is fantastic the acting was well done . the charicter devolpment was very minamal it was pushing foward very fast it seemed and introduced alot of different charicters to the film with out getting much into them . it seemed ridley was trying to paint a wide range ofa epic war movie about the 90s war in somalia . ridley scott really catures the feeling that you are in a war . the action is fantastic the acting was well done . the charicter devolpment was very minamal it was pushing foward very fast it seemed and introduced alot of different charicters to the film with out getting much into them . it seemed ridley was trying to paint a wide range of charicters to give us many different vantage points of the war instead of making the charicters more devolped which im not gona fault him much on because you do get a wider spectrem of the war . this is one of the best war films ever made mainly cause r. scott stays very true as to what happend . i know a few people who were there and even fought in that battle and they say scott did it right . so kudos to ridley for doing are soldiers justics and telling there tale . Expand
  32. MarkS
    Mar 17, 2009
    Only action and technical prefection are trying to keep this on a high level. That is too poor. The real story is untold and so the audience can't understand real reason, why the riots really began. Unbelievable that Ridley Scott produced such a low-level story. If you look at the picture of the somali-citizens, all of them were showen as brainless, killing terrorists. One of many Only action and technical prefection are trying to keep this on a high level. That is too poor. The real story is untold and so the audience can't understand real reason, why the riots really began. Unbelievable that Ridley Scott produced such a low-level story. If you look at the picture of the somali-citizens, all of them were showen as brainless, killing terrorists. One of many fault facts which were sold as truth in this movie. Because of showing only the chronology of battle scenes, without telling the whole story of this UN-mission, ths movie will not reach more than 3 points. Expand
  33. jennyb
    Feb 26, 2009
    Black Hawk Down is a movie worth seeing. Non-stop packed action, and thrill. You really see what these soldiers go through. I would rate this movie in my own top 2! Very well done!!
  34. DannyM.
    Jan 24, 2009
    I love the (More then most) realism of this movie! Fingers getting shot off and STAYING SHOT OFF. The characters act like they would in a real battle: Intense, active, and alert. What I also like about Black Hawk Down is that they portray the US Armed Force as heros. "ONLY WORDS IN THE DICTIONARY CAN BE USED IN SCRABBLE!!!"
  35. MattyF.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Finally good to see a movie which doesn't have a fairy tale happy ending. A deep and inspiring movie which delivers enough action and gripping scenes to keep me watching over and over again.
  36. AnthonyC
    Jul 30, 2008
    The way the movie was filmed was genious - it added to the sheer chaos of the whole debacle. I do disagree with Josh Hartnett as the main character - I would have liked to see someone else in that role. Some of the lines are a bit cheezy but this is an awesome movie.
  37. CameronS.
    Jun 7, 2008
    An intense movie in that it doesn't follow the cliche American war movie-- it shows that even the most well planned missions, with the most heavilty armed soldiers can go horribly wrong.
  38. ThatemW.
    Mar 24, 2008
    This is one of the few movies that I can watch over and over. Of course it is too powerful to watch all the time. It is a great movie about an insane war. Recommend it to anyone wanting to see another side of things.
  39. MartinsH.
    Mar 19, 2008
    The movie was announced as an anti-war-movie, but its only a detailed story of a mission that fails, in which american soldiers are finally depicted as heroes once more. Supported by the US Army... No real critcism, no background information about the war that would allow a deeper questioning of the mission - thats not enough. This movie is not more than a show. The show as such is The movie was announced as an anti-war-movie, but its only a detailed story of a mission that fails, in which american soldiers are finally depicted as heroes once more. Supported by the US Army... No real critcism, no background information about the war that would allow a deeper questioning of the mission - thats not enough. This movie is not more than a show. The show as such is realistically done, but it's just as flat as its characters. Expand
  40. DavidW.
    Feb 21, 2008
    It truly is one of the best war movies of all time. It depicts the modern warfare very well. Since the Gulf War we haven't been fighting militaries, we have been fighting militias and civilians with weapons. It's sad but true. This movie is without a doubt a 10!
  41. OliverW.
    Jan 13, 2008
    Outstanding production quality. Profoundly empty story. It's a two hour battle sequence with at least a dozen main characters, none of whom are likable.
  42. D.
    Feb 11, 2007
    One of the best war movies of all time. Right up there with Saving Privet Ryan.
  43. KeithG.
    Dec 14, 2006
    Pretty much what MILL said but it was there fault they got shot we wanted to help them and they sent militia after us. If you join the Army or some kind of armed service then dont expect people to not shoot at you. RIP to Delta MSG. Gary Gordon and Delta SFC Randy Shughart who sacraficed there lives for Michael Durant they where true American Heros.
  44. Jay
    Oct 3, 2006
    This is truly an astonishing movie. The best war movie I have ever seen.
  45. JRA.
    Feb 9, 2006
    I wish i was in this movie or if there's going to be a part 2 the movie had all the right graphics in there to give you the real feel as if you were there. Director well done.
  46. AaronM.
    Jan 21, 2006
    The action was amazing and unbelievable in every way. It's very well made, and is moving and powerful at the same time. It will change your outlook on war and even the world.
  47. Mili
    Aug 8, 2005
    REALISTIC. That's what this is about. For the person who didnt understand why the soldier picked up the severed hand. Well you should just stick to disney animation. The whole reason why you dont get to know characters is because it wasnt about single people, it was about the event. It was about all the soldiers. How can you call it cheesy when there were hardly any character to REALISTIC. That's what this is about. For the person who didnt understand why the soldier picked up the severed hand. Well you should just stick to disney animation. The whole reason why you dont get to know characters is because it wasnt about single people, it was about the event. It was about all the soldiers. How can you call it cheesy when there were hardly any character to character moments? It's about the harsh truth of modern warfare. The person who commented "at the end I didnt care who won, there was just lots of fighting and I couldnt make out the characters". That's what it was like. It's not all "america rocks" - to the people who said it was a film about americans bravely going in to fight against hundreds. If you think that, god, how stupid can you be? It's what Hoot says "it's just war". I think eveyone should watch this film. Be sat down and made to watch it. It's history. Expand
  48. MaxR.
    Jul 27, 2005
    I loved it! I thought it was the best movie ever!
  49. Dustin
    Apr 8, 2005
    Best movie of all time.
  50. RaphaelR.
    Sep 26, 2004
    My favorite movie of alltime why/ because the most modern war movie as of right now because like all the other movies ar about WW2 and VIETNAM WAR this is about somethin big that happened just a few years ago and this movie has the technology that we did'nt have during vietnam and during world war 2 and that makes the movie even better because its just like what is happenin in iraq My favorite movie of alltime why/ because the most modern war movie as of right now because like all the other movies ar about WW2 and VIETNAM WAR this is about somethin big that happened just a few years ago and this movie has the technology that we did'nt have during vietnam and during world war 2 and that makes the movie even better because its just like what is happenin in iraq right now.. s0o yea.. but overall the special effects are great the action is very good but there are some parts that makes you think "what is that about" like for example when one soldier picked up a hand and i was like uhhm ok whats that about.. yadda mean? as of now this is my favorite movie. You definitely need to put this movie in your collection. NOTE: THIS MOVIE WON 2 ACADEMY AWARDS: BEST FILM EDITING AND BEST SOUND. Expand
  51. SunnyS.
    Jul 25, 2004
    Probably the most graphic and gritty war film you'll ever see. However the film doesn't only rely on tense action and realistic visuals but unlike many no brainer action flicks this film will pull at your emotions as the audience can sympathise with characters (who arn't stereotypical generic macho men or dumbass "red necks" seen in many films) who go through much suffering Probably the most graphic and gritty war film you'll ever see. However the film doesn't only rely on tense action and realistic visuals but unlike many no brainer action flicks this film will pull at your emotions as the audience can sympathise with characters (who arn't stereotypical generic macho men or dumbass "red necks" seen in many films) who go through much suffering and tradegy which for me makes this movie an unforgetable experience. Expand
  52. AkhilK.
    Jul 10, 2004
    Quite possibly the best MODERN war movie ever made. Keeps you in the action without ever letting go. So make sure you have bathroom breaks before setting your eyes on this movie.
  53. PatC.
    Jan 10, 2004
    Fairly good show. Tries to convey the incident as out of today's headlines, but could not be made during the Clinton administration when it would have mattered. Better late than never.
  54. JohnL.
    Jan 8, 2004
    This is a great movie that shows the comradely of our American soldiers in combat. If you find it a waste of time and money, or a mindless spectacle that promotes violence, there is a line in the movie you should have picked up on... "When people ask me why, why do you do it man? Are you some type of warmonger? I keep shut. I don't say a God damn thing. Because people like them will This is a great movie that shows the comradely of our American soldiers in combat. If you find it a waste of time and money, or a mindless spectacle that promotes violence, there is a line in the movie you should have picked up on... "When people ask me why, why do you do it man? Are you some type of warmonger? I keep shut. I don't say a God damn thing. Because people like them will never understand. They won?t ever know. It?s because it?s about the man next to you, It?s as simple as that.? Expand
  55. MikeB.
    Nov 2, 2003
    I woulda rate it a 9 because there was great camera work. But some parts of the movie were not correct. the way i know this is that i know several people that were fighting there. The part with the soldier picking up the hand did not happen near the convoy. It happened near the crashsite. There are more things to say but obviously the actual battle was alot more horrifying than the movie. I woulda rate it a 9 because there was great camera work. But some parts of the movie were not correct. the way i know this is that i know several people that were fighting there. The part with the soldier picking up the hand did not happen near the convoy. It happened near the crashsite. There are more things to say but obviously the actual battle was alot more horrifying than the movie. RIP to the soldiers that died in it. Expand
  56. Uter
    Sep 15, 2003
    Over 1000 militia died, and 19 american died, and yet the americans come out as the heroes? it seems a bit tough to swallow, especially in such a large dramatic production. but it was entertaining all the way through. and the fighting scenes appeared realistic and well done.
  57. YoonC.
    Sep 14, 2003
    As a spectacle on the intricacies of how modern war is commanded and fought, Black Hawk Down is a sturdy, professional achievement, finely detailed and generally riveting from start to finish. If you want political context or comlex characters, you're better off with Battle of Algiers (for context) or Saving Private Ryan (for fully realized characters). A triumph of technical mastery As a spectacle on the intricacies of how modern war is commanded and fought, Black Hawk Down is a sturdy, professional achievement, finely detailed and generally riveting from start to finish. If you want political context or comlex characters, you're better off with Battle of Algiers (for context) or Saving Private Ryan (for fully realized characters). A triumph of technical mastery and visual pyrotechnics yet ultimately rather academic than provocative or rousing. Expand
  58. LisaJ.
    Sep 12, 2003
    Seriously - what is the point of this film? It consists of one overlong, excruciating, exploitational battle scene that turns a horrible African event into mindless entertainment. There were moments where I cringed not because of the violence, but because the film was so overly melodramatic and prideful that it sucked the credibility right out of the film. Many of the actors delivered Seriously - what is the point of this film? It consists of one overlong, excruciating, exploitational battle scene that turns a horrible African event into mindless entertainment. There were moments where I cringed not because of the violence, but because the film was so overly melodramatic and prideful that it sucked the credibility right out of the film. Many of the actors delivered monologues containing "please say 'I love you' to my family for me" as they were dying - like we're supposed to sympathize for the character... except that the audience has absolutely no idea who the guy is and what he is doing there. It is a pathetic waste of celluloid and money. This was easily the most overrated film of 2001. Expand
  59. Jonas
    Sep 12, 2003
    I despise films that are based upon compelling, true events and then turn their backs on truth, completely in spite of themselves. Black Hawk Down is a prime example of such a film, one whose actors are completely indistinguishable and mindless due to a storyline that all but abandons its story - - although it claims to have stayed true to the facts. It's one of the most I despise films that are based upon compelling, true events and then turn their backs on truth, completely in spite of themselves. Black Hawk Down is a prime example of such a film, one whose actors are completely indistinguishable and mindless due to a storyline that all but abandons its story - - although it claims to have stayed true to the facts. It's one of the most depersonalized, numbing films in memory. P.S. John E. - the anti-American blabber can stop. Expand
  60. AdamE.
    Nov 27, 2002
    Although some people say this film is just "too american" I think it is the best war movie since Saving Private Ryan. Ridley Scott knows what he is doing and he still has it. I would, on the other hand, really want to see him do some more sci fi films.
  61. SteveK.
    Nov 12, 2002
    Really great movie! 2nd best war movie, after-of course- Saving Private Ryan.
  62. ZachP.
    Aug 28, 2002
    War movies could be better, i.e., Saving Private Ryan, and they could be worse, i.e., Pearl Harbour. I didn't get nearly as much "USA, No. 1" vibes from this as I thought I would get, thankfully. Funny seeing the new Obi Wan as an American war-secretary, though.
  63. JohnE.
    Aug 4, 2002
    Typical US story - US guys saving starving people and get shot for it. But - they are the greatest as usual and saving the world. My stomach turned upon this arrogant plot. US sucks! A free European
  64. GregS.
    Jul 29, 2002
    This was in many aspects a good movie though the american sense of patriotism isn't even subtle they just blast it onto the screen in typical hollywood fashion. Good work by Eric Bana though!
  65. RyanB.
    Jul 27, 2002
    This movie was a brilliant make of the somalia incident.The first time i saw the helicopters circling i was hooked.This movie is great.
  66. RyanT.
    Jul 18, 2002
    A very overrated film. This movie was beautifully directed by Ridley Scott but relied on style over substance. And all of the actors are alike, they dont have any redeeming qualities.
  67. EricH.
    Jul 17, 2002
    For starters this movie was right on the money. It kept you at the edge of your seat. To the persons, no names mentioned, that think that there should have been character development you have to ask your selves this, do you want this movie to glorify just one person or the whole group of soldiers trying to do thier best in the situation they are in. This movie showed what they all went For starters this movie was right on the money. It kept you at the edge of your seat. To the persons, no names mentioned, that think that there should have been character development you have to ask your selves this, do you want this movie to glorify just one person or the whole group of soldiers trying to do thier best in the situation they are in. This movie showed what they all went through. For a mission that was to last no more than an hour and went on for over twelve you have to give credit for the surviving men. Expand
  68. Richard
    Jul 15, 2002
    Shakes you up, no doubt, when it sticks to the logistics of the battle and the rescue. It falters only when it goes for easy army-buddy cliches, which seem especially heavy-handed in light of how interchangeable all the characters are.
  69. RickJ.G.
    Jul 7, 2002
    A dreadful piece of Pentagon AgitProp. Penatgon input into film is a disgrace. Perhaps Ridley Scott will film a sequel some day that will include the 7,000 - 10,000 Somalis U.S. soldiers slaughtered. I didn't like the way it looked and I didn't care about our well-armed "heroes" invasion of a city in war ravaged Third World country. At least the film gives an accurate portrayal A dreadful piece of Pentagon AgitProp. Penatgon input into film is a disgrace. Perhaps Ridley Scott will film a sequel some day that will include the 7,000 - 10,000 Somalis U.S. soldiers slaughtered. I didn't like the way it looked and I didn't care about our well-armed "heroes" invasion of a city in war ravaged Third World country. At least the film gives an accurate portrayal of the way the U.S. military goes about these much publicized "peace keeping missions": Wild West style with guns blazing. The conduct of the soldiers of other nations involved in the Somalia mission under the auspices of the U.N. was nothing to write home about, but the conduct of the U.S. military was a complete disgrace. Expand
  70. P.R.
    Jul 3, 2002
    After Watching the documentary of black hawk down on msnbc and then the movie, I felt that the movie was right on the money.
  71. TarikT.
    Jun 26, 2002
    Dude Corey the movie was based on how the people that were there described it. How can you say there is no character development when they have no time to develop?
  72. BradyC.
    Jun 21, 2002
    It's a great movie Scott and Bruckhiemer are geniuses they told the story how it should be told how u can say a movie is bad that is based on an actual event down to the last detail well ur one sick f#$%.
  73. MichaelF.
    Jun 19, 2002
    It's really really good and intense. It suffers from the typical war movie flaws, but very lightly. Like some cheesy scenes that are made cheesy due to the score. That's it. Top-notch acting all around. It's no SAVING PRIVATE RYAN but it's good enough.
  74. BillyJ.
    Jun 10, 2002
    This movie is not about individual characters, it is about a GROUP of Army Rangers and Delta Force sent in to complete a mission. The soldiers work as a team, therefore no individual characters stand out. All of you who say there is no character development missed the entire point of the film. You are overanalyzing a film that needs none. Just watch and allow Ridley Scott to put you in This movie is not about individual characters, it is about a GROUP of Army Rangers and Delta Force sent in to complete a mission. The soldiers work as a team, therefore no individual characters stand out. All of you who say there is no character development missed the entire point of the film. You are overanalyzing a film that needs none. Just watch and allow Ridley Scott to put you in the heart of a terrible battle. Expand
  75. Cy
    Jun 3, 2002
    This is one of the best War movies ever made. It goes besides Saving Private Ryan, and maybe evening Apocolypse Now. It's not as dysfunctional as Full Metal Jacket (Which fell apart going into Vietnam.) and not confusing like The Thin Red Line. It is made with brilliance.
  76. AdamL.
    May 30, 2002
    I thought that the movie was awesome. I think it was because of the constant action but the fact that it really happened and that all of the people we sent over there is amazing.
  77. CoryR.
    May 26, 2002
    I love almost all war movies but not this one. Didn't develop characters or make you want to see them succeed. At the end of the movie I didn't care whether or not the US won the battle-bad characters and plot- not worth seeing!
  78. ZacharyW.
    Apr 21, 2002
    The only reason I went to see this movie was because Josh Hartnett was in it.
  79. S.F.
    Apr 5, 2002
    Complete disregard for historical fact and severe lack of character development doesn't make for a good film regardless of how good the special effects are. If you want an accurate war movie, try "Full Metal Jacket." If you want good special effects in a "war" environment watch this movie, but don't be a hypocrite.
  80. MattG.
    Mar 27, 2002
    This movie is definitely the best war movie ever made and also one of the best movies of all. These people who criticize the dialogue are mad. The characters involved are soldiers who become brothers and depend on each other to survive in combat, when a brother is killed, naturally there will be emotion that some will think of poorly. And the people who complain about the somali's This movie is definitely the best war movie ever made and also one of the best movies of all. These people who criticize the dialogue are mad. The characters involved are soldiers who become brothers and depend on each other to survive in combat, when a brother is killed, naturally there will be emotion that some will think of poorly. And the people who complain about the somali's being faceless monsters or whatever, some of them were responsible for the masacre of U.N soldiers, women and children and making famine more of a problem than it needed to be. If that's not faceless, i dont know what is. Sympathy must be granted for the American Rangers, Delta's and Pilots families for their losses during the battle. Expand
  81. DamianP.
    Mar 22, 2002
    None of the good things I heard about this movie were true.
  82. Didn'tLikeIt
    Mar 13, 2002
    According to Movie Geek, I must suck. But at least I know I'm right... This movie, as CNN reported, was the "best looking worthless film you will EVER see." And it couldn't be put any clearer. Sure the film looks incredible, but each character blends into the next and no single character sticks out - except some get more screen time than others. When one decides to give an According to Movie Geek, I must suck. But at least I know I'm right... This movie, as CNN reported, was the "best looking worthless film you will EVER see." And it couldn't be put any clearer. Sure the film looks incredible, but each character blends into the next and no single character sticks out - except some get more screen time than others. When one decides to give an emotional monologue about his family or his death - it is so pretentious and ridiculous that I laughed. Normally I wouldn't, but this film has achieved a new level of synthetic emotion, something it truly deserves to be recognized for. Expand
  83. MovieGeek
    Mar 12, 2002
    This was an amazing movie, any of you losers like you computer nerds who rated this movie bad are physco. And I think that this is the best movie every made, so all of you who voted for the moie in a bad way really suck.
  84. CarmenB.
    Mar 9, 2002
    Best war movie ever! and Josh Hartnett was so cute!!!! I know, you must think that I only loved the movie because of him, but not at all! This movie shows reality and should be seen by anyone and everyone.
  85. JeffB.
    Feb 26, 2002
    BANNAN!
  86. TristanH.
    Feb 21, 2002
    It's not the best movie of the year but it is a great movie. For all of you who say it was "dull" or "lame" I want you to know that this wasn't something that some writer thought up. This truly happened and if you can't find the emotion to recognize that, don't say anything at all.
  87. KristenI.
    Feb 13, 2002
    This film was as an amazing way to portray a truly gruesome event. The war-is-hell mentality has never before been so profound. One of the top five movies ever made.
    Feb 11, 2002
    Intense, and super cool.
  89. GreigM.
    Feb 8, 2002
    "Movie of the Year", "One of the best military movies ever made", "Truly a remarkable film"....what is wrong with you people?? This film is dull, dull, dull. Do any of you seriously think that this movie approaches Full Metal Jacket, Platoon, Apocalypse Now or even Saving Private Ryan??? Give us a break!
  90. MaxT.
    Feb 1, 2002
    Very good movie! An unknown war described perfectly by Bruckheimer. A good cast and special effects. A movie to see and remember!
  91. Jacob
    Jan 29, 2002
    Glad when it was over. Boring. You couldn't tell one character from the other. They were all the same. And it could have been good, too.
  92. JohnM.
    Jan 29, 2002
    The film was good on a superficial level. It looked great; you can't deny that. But special effects don't make the film for me. The film was so hollow and depersonalized, I couldn't believe it. And the fact that I just got done seeing it and still can't remember one person's name out of all of the major characters... THAT just shows how shallow the film is. Also, The film was good on a superficial level. It looked great; you can't deny that. But special effects don't make the film for me. The film was so hollow and depersonalized, I couldn't believe it. And the fact that I just got done seeing it and still can't remember one person's name out of all of the major characters... THAT just shows how shallow the film is. Also, the dialogue was incredibly cheesy and the Somalians were portrayed as being inhuman monsters. The movie attempted to be emotionally harrowing and groundbreaking, of which it was neither. And its accuracy of the events that truly occurred in Somalia is very, very thin. The film is not better, nor worse, than the average heap of mish-mash that Hollywood puts out every year. Pass on this one. Grade: C- Expand
  93. StaceyR.
    Jan 27, 2002
    Eyes glued, sitting on the edge of my chair, no movie has captured my attention better than Black Hawk Down. Truly a remarkable film.
  94. MatthewC.
    Jan 27, 2002
    Would have been a 9, if it wasn't for the fact that in the post-script, I noted the fact that while 18 (?) "Americans lost their lives", approximately 1000 Somalis died. There was little of the massacring of women and children that is known to have been undertaken by the American troops in retribution, and I disliked the way that every time they appeared, the Somalis were portrayed Would have been a 9, if it wasn't for the fact that in the post-script, I noted the fact that while 18 (?) "Americans lost their lives", approximately 1000 Somalis died. There was little of the massacring of women and children that is known to have been undertaken by the American troops in retribution, and I disliked the way that every time they appeared, the Somalis were portrayed as a faceless, black, blood-thirsty mob. While Scott's directing must be praised - it is an astoundingly well-presented film, and the way that the action is constant *does* give a small glimpse of what it must be like to be there..... I have to give it a 5 because of the disregard of the most poignant and tragic aspects of what happened in Mogadishu. Expand
  95. DeirdreR.
    Jan 22, 2002
    A relief to see that the movie stayed true to Bowden's fantastic book. (I suggest all who plan to see the movie read this terrific book.) Politics, foreign policy and background stories of the characters are left out, and audiences are left with the raw, intense reality of Modern Day War. However, the movie does not suffer from a lack of character, Tom Sizemore, Josh Hartnett, Eric A relief to see that the movie stayed true to Bowden's fantastic book. (I suggest all who plan to see the movie read this terrific book.) Politics, foreign policy and background stories of the characters are left out, and audiences are left with the raw, intense reality of Modern Day War. However, the movie does not suffer from a lack of character, Tom Sizemore, Josh Hartnett, Eric Bana, Sam Shepperd, give stand out performances virtually through their body language. The footage is spectacular. Hopefully this film will inspire with its detailed attention to the reality of war and spark American Audiences interest in the why's and how's left out of this film. This film addresses the current issues so many Americans desperately need to be informed about. Read the Book + Watch the Movie!!!! Expand
  96. RyanM.
    Jan 22, 2002
    One of the best military movies ever made. Period.
  97. ShawnG.
    Jan 21, 2002
    Movie of the year.
  98. RonnieG.
    Jan 21, 2002
    This movie is awesome because it's intresting and it's an awesome story. I wish I could see it again.
  99. BethK.
    Jan 19, 2002
    Such an incredible film! It's exciting yet touching and at the same time thoughtful. I really felt this picture.
  100. ChadS.
    Jan 18, 2002
    I lurched forward in my seat and whispered each of the 18 names during the film's postscript. "Blackhawk Down" teaches us that there's no such thing as a small war. For starters, this movie is a triumph of editing. And while Bruckheimer wasn't looking, I think Ridley Scott used the little-seen "Baraka" as inspiration. This guy is no Michael Bay.

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Goes down like stiff medicine, leaving one feeling exhausted relief when it's finally over.
  2. Miami Herald
    Reviewed by: Rene Rodriguez
    An overwhelmingly tactile experience. Scott brings you so close into the action, the grit and smoke and blood seem to spill off the screen and into your head.
    His is a triumph of pure filmmaking, a pitiless, unrelenting, no-excuses war movie so thoroughly convincing it's frequently difficult to believe it is a staged re-creation.