8.0

1. Sep 13, 2014
    Black Hawk Down is a great war movie, with great battle sequences, effects and design. It is unfortunate, because that is all it has. It has no real depth to be found. All of its characters are indistinguishable from each another most times, and there is no real message.

It is a movie with great action, but no message. No personality. It's all flash and no substance. Of course, I will give special mention to Tom Sizemore, for giving the best performance in the film. Whether or not that is really "saying something" or not is unclear. Regardless, Black Hawk Down is a great war film, but is mediocre at almost everything else. But, its gritty and accurate depiction of combat makes up for this often times, so I can't complain.
  2. Jul 5, 2014
    Black Hawk Down is a war movie based on a true story. I liked it very much. Cast of excellent actors like Eric Bana and William Fichtner. Fantastic special effects. Falling helicopter looks really authentic.
  3. Apr 9, 2014
    One of the best war movies of all time!There is a dream cast and they are just perfect in their roles.There is non-stop action and this is have some awesome visual effects(Good explosions)
  4. Feb 17, 2014
    Black Hawk Down is a gritty, intense war drama that is more realistic than the average war film. It's all star cast shines with their acting skills in the high-tension, high-thrill combat scenes where anyone could die at any second. And just when you thought the scene couldn't get bloodier, it does. But that's what makes Black Hawk Down a notable movie worth watching.
  5. Jan 25, 2014
    I have always enjoyed war movies. Black Hawk Down is one of the better war movies I have seen. There is a ton of action to keep everyone entertained the whole way through. This film has been made very well, and isn't to hard to watch worth of gore. It is definitely worth watching.
  6. Dec 24, 2013
    A perfect portrait of the bloodiest battle that the US army had fought ever since Vietnam War It may lack depth in terms of characters, but on the whole it is definitely the best movie of the year for successfully describing the terror of war as well as mixed feelings accompanying every Delta soldier as they struggle to rescue their brothers-in-arms and go home with their families.
  7. Dec 9, 2013
    This movie is probably one of the best war-movies ever made. In my own opinion, the actors playing their individual characters feel very authentic and really sticks out one by one. Sincerely touching, even though there is a lot of controversy about the US army today. There is not much to say than: “go and watch it”, I can definitely promise an amazing journey through the human ways of warThis movie is probably one of the best war-movies ever made. In my own opinion, the actors playing their individual characters feel very authentic and really sticks out one by one. Sincerely touching, even though there is a lot of controversy about the US army today. There is not much to say than: “go and watch it”, I can definitely promise an amazing journey through the human ways of war and terror and/or reality of life and death, assuming you love movies and in that case especially war-movies. With that written and on a final note, the music really lifts the movie up and makes it one of my favourite movies of all time. 10/10. Expand
  8. Nov 15, 2013
    Fantastic war film. Light on character development, but it's not really needed. Completely engrossing and overwhelming as we watch the Battle of Mogadishu completely unfold for nearly the entire film. All of the actors put their heart into this one, as does Ridley Scott, and the result is not the best war film, but certainly one of the best war films.
  9. Sep 25, 2013
    Black Hawk Down is a great action-packed war movie. But if you look through the absolute insanity that is a country at war with itself, you'll be given a glimpse at what it means for America to be the world superpower and what others see when good will is met with ruthless opposition. Like Vietnam, this wasn't the United States' fight. But when innocent lives are gratuitously slain inBlack Hawk Down is a great action-packed war movie. But if you look through the absolute insanity that is a country at war with itself, you'll be given a glimpse at what it means for America to be the world superpower and what others see when good will is met with ruthless opposition. Like Vietnam, this wasn't the United States' fight. But when innocent lives are gratuitously slain in the show of power, earning the fear and submission of those underneath you, movies like Black Hawk Down can easily offer arguments to where politics are a hindrance when there's men and women across the world that are ready to come to the aid of those who cannot help themselves. If you love cool action, you're going to love Black Hawk Down. If you love conscience found in the most desperate circumstances, there's something here for you too. Expand
  10. Aug 31, 2013
    A very good casting, a good story, but it's not a memorable film like Full Metal Jacket for ex.
    I think the film will be better if he had shown more of the side enemies.
    Not the best film of Mr Scott but an honest War Film.
  11. Jul 2, 2013
    Based on the events encompassing the fateful Battle of Mogadishu, "Black Hawk Down" successfully delivers a beautiful example of brilliant directorial prowess, a sobering mosaic of heartrending performances, and one of cinema's most enduring thematic ideas War is hell.
  12. Jun 26, 2013
    This movie, which by the way, is based of a book of the same name written in 1999 by Mark Bowden is a great way to teach and learn about the events that happened in the Battle of Mogadishu. I, however, knew about this particular battle before watching the movie gave me a new perspective on the battle. It was a very depressing and horrid event, but I am glad to say that this movie is veryThis movie, which by the way, is based of a book of the same name written in 1999 by Mark Bowden is a great way to teach and learn about the events that happened in the Battle of Mogadishu. I, however, knew about this particular battle before watching the movie gave me a new perspective on the battle. It was a very depressing and horrid event, but I am glad to say that this movie is very good and you can watch it free on Netflix now so why not watch it? Anyways, I can gladly say that movie has aged well and is still a pleasure to watch. I really do feel the emotions and hardship the troops went through. The key players in this are the U.S. Special Forces (160th SOAR, Delta Force, and the 75th Rangers) and Mohamed Farrah Aidid and his militia, who by the way, are blocking the food/medicine supplies as their weapon. So the US Special Forces are sent in after an attack on UN and Pakistani troops. The movie is all about the title "Black Hawk Down" for those of you who don't know a Black Hawk is a military helicopter. A helicopter crashes and ground troops and helicopters are reverted to go back to the crash site to get back the survivors and equipment. Anyways, now that you know the plot, the movie acts this out very well and I think the SFX were brilliant for their age. I also loved the cast of characters and their role in the movie, they all seem connected. I love military movies and documentaries, so this review may be a bit biased. BUT, compared to the other horrible military movies out there this is a must watch for anyone, really. Expand
  13. Dec 19, 2012
    Some critics say that the director (Scott) doesn't tell the whole story about the rebellion in Somalia and I agree, but I also think that if you watch these movie you have take under consideration two things: first the title off the movie and second that the title of the movie tells you, on whom perspective is this story being told and this is from the US soldiers perspective. Don't getSome critics say that the director (Scott) doesn't tell the whole story about the rebellion in Somalia and I agree, but I also think that if you watch these movie you have take under consideration two things: first the title off the movie and second that the title of the movie tells you, on whom perspective is this story being told and this is from the US soldiers perspective. Don't get mad for a movie that represents an American being a hero, this has happened all the way from the beginning in the movies industry.The movie does have great special effects and you can feel the frustration and fear of the soldiers in the battle field. It also has a great cast. Expand
  14. Nov 8, 2012
    Contains some of the best action sequences I've ever seen, but the film's true hero is the cinematographer. It's great to look at.
  15. Jun 6, 2012
    The best war movie since Saving Private Ryan, the horrors of war are chillingly depicted, and the cast all give stellar performances, no matter how minor their role is. It's a shame that some of the real story is left out, the additions of which would have elevated the film, even if only slightly.
  16. Apr 3, 2012
    First off, this would be a 9.5 out of 10. Great movie. Acting is good. Everyone does a fine performance in the movie. Score is great. The music throughout the movie is really weLl made. The story is also great as well. The action/war scenes are well made. They can be pretty epic. Overall, this is one of the best war movies ever. It's intense and a great movie to watch. Highly recommended.
  17. Mar 30, 2012
    Black Hawk Down is a very well made movie with some of the best editing and action scenes in years. Scott brings you into the film like you were actually there, experiencing the terror all around you.
  18. Mar 22, 2012
    When i saw this movie i was absolutely impressed. A true Ridley Scott masterpiece, thrilling until the very end with excellent actors performance. In my eyes one of the best war movies I have seen which still did not loose its actuality
  19. Feb 21, 2012
    I love this movie, because unlike a lot of action and war movies out there, this one has a lot of tension in it, each action scene is dramatic and smart, not something over the top and dumb. It's realism worked to the film's advantage to deliver one of the smartest war films since Saving Private Ryan.
  20. Dec 26, 2011
    Ridley Scott's true-story-based "Black Hawk Down" is too broad for the picture. During a monotonous 2 hours, the so called 'realism' is seen in his never ending battlefield where the U.S gets all the respect and bad-ass deaths with last line memorable quotes spurring out from their tongues. BUT. I still give credit for his decision to portray a battle lost by the US. I think it's one ofRidley Scott's true-story-based "Black Hawk Down" is too broad for the picture. During a monotonous 2 hours, the so called 'realism' is seen in his never ending battlefield where the U.S gets all the respect and bad-ass deaths with last line memorable quotes spurring out from their tongues. BUT. I still give credit for his decision to portray a battle lost by the US. I think it's one of the first non-bias-tried movies. Expand
  21. Oct 20, 2011
    This movie is full of fast paced action throughout. Set in Somalia, a group of soldiers are sent in on a peacekeeping operation. However, it all goes wrong and the chopper is shot down, leaving them stranded in the middle of a village with angry hostile soldiers and civilians. Other choppers are sent in for backup, and chaos breaks loose. Lot's of violence, blood and guts. GreatThis movie is full of fast paced action throughout. Set in Somalia, a group of soldiers are sent in on a peacekeeping operation. However, it all goes wrong and the chopper is shot down, leaving them stranded in the middle of a village with angry hostile soldiers and civilians. Other choppers are sent in for backup, and chaos breaks loose. Lot's of violence, blood and guts. Great characters, and played tremendously well by the actors. Black Hawk down is a great war movie. The plot is a bit basic and shaky, but it is a great movie nevertheless and one I recommend to any war movie fan. Expand
  22. Sep 13, 2011
    This is a very good movie, it's show the reality of war along all problems that derivates from it. There is a lot of drammatic and emotional scenes that shows soldiers seriously injured near to death and other scenes that show their bravery and also their fear of being in an very dangerous battlefield. This movie demostrates the background of the civilian war in Somalia with a veryThis is a very good movie, it's show the reality of war along all problems that derivates from it. There is a lot of drammatic and emotional scenes that shows soldiers seriously injured near to death and other scenes that show their bravery and also their fear of being in an very dangerous battlefield. This movie demostrates the background of the civilian war in Somalia with a very realistic approach, showing how is the situation of many 3rd world countries and what kind of reality the U.S seals and the native people of this countries have to face daily. One of the weak spots of this film is that there is a lot of action and not much dialogue and story, it's a non stop action film, but it's anyway a good movie, but not an masterpiece. Expand
  23. Aug 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Black Hawk Down. The quintessential movie of every first person shooter junkie. I decided I was gonna dig up this movie when I was sitting half way through Hotel Rwanda and the news story of the tragic 38 fatalities which occurred this past Saturday in Afghanistan came to mind. Mistaking it at first for a â Expand
  24. Jan 12, 2011
    Great movies that simply shows the harsh realities of war. Does it sensationalize? Perhaps but I feel it it does more to show the heroic efforts of our young men in battle. It is somewhat perplexing to see a Christian rag bash it when Christian Conservatives typically march us into these messes.
  25. Aug 24, 2010
    US Forces go into Somalia to get rebel boss, helicopter gets shot down, have to rescue them, another helicopter goes down, more rescuing.
    Starts off quite slow for the first half hour then once the action starts, it never stops.
    Top notch battle scenes with a top notch cast, great visuals & breathtaking action throughout.
  26. Aug 22, 2010
    a epic war movie about the 90s war in somalia . ridley scott really catures the feeling that you are in a war . the action is fantastic the acting was well done . the charicter devolpment was very minamal it was pushing foward very fast it seemed and introduced alot of different charicters to the film with out getting much into them . it seemed ridley was trying to paint a wide range ofa epic war movie about the 90s war in somalia . ridley scott really catures the feeling that you are in a war . the action is fantastic the acting was well done . the charicter devolpment was very minamal it was pushing foward very fast it seemed and introduced alot of different charicters to the film with out getting much into them . it seemed ridley was trying to paint a wide range of charicters to give us many different vantage points of the war instead of making the charicters more devolped which im not gona fault him much on because you do get a wider spectrem of the war . this is one of the best war films ever made mainly cause r. scott stays very true as to what happend . i know a few people who were there and even fought in that battle and they say scott did it right . so kudos to ridley for doing are soldiers justics and telling there tale . Expand

1. Reviewed by: Todd McCarthy
    Goes down like stiff medicine, leaving one feeling exhausted relief when it's finally over.
    An overwhelmingly tactile experience. Scott brings you so close into the action, the grit and smoke and blood seem to spill off the screen and into your head.
    His is a triumph of pure filmmaking, a pitiless, unrelenting, no-excuses war movie so thoroughly convincing it's frequently difficult to believe it is a staged re-creation.