6.0

1. Aug 26, 2013
    FRIKIN AWESOME this movie is a gut busting bone smashing sheep shearing hit its sooooooo funny a bit gory though UNDERRATED its very underrated and stuff like somebody said they stopped watching before the ending THE BEST BIT!! :D LOL #FUNNY
  2. Mar 10, 2013
    Henry returns to the family farm to overcome his fear of sheep after a traumatic childhood incident, but he and several other unlucky visitors must fight to survive when the genetically-altered flock turns on their masters! The outrageous horror comedy BLACK SHEEP scores big laughs with its absurd stance against biological engineering. No one is safe when writer/director Jonathan King makes the self-righteous environmentalists out to look just as foolish as the careless scientists. With the award-winning WETA Workshop assigned to the film, one can only expect the best out of the special effects department, and they deliver. The sheep look incredibly realistic as they just obliterate everything in their path, tearing off flesh and ripping the guts out of each of their victims in a hilarious display of comic gore that calls back to New Zealand's other famous Horror film, DEAD ALIVE. Unsurprisingly, the characters and plot quickly lose focus when faced with the ridiculous antics occurring on screen. Although the overall silliness does begin to wear by the third act, BLACK SHEEP is still a wildly entertaining film that creature fans are sure to enjoy.

-Carl Manes
    I Like Horror Movies
  3. Nov 24, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I really enjoyed this twist on the standard 'zombie' genre film. Also, being set in New Zealand, it almost made more sense (no offense intended). When you combine a fear of sheep, genetically altered 'zombie sheep', the classic "those scientists don't know what they're doing" activists, and an outstanding trailer, which includes a scene where the villain (Angus) is standing in a room, sounds of sheep bleeting, his pants apparently down around his ankles, and responding to the question "What are you DOING?" with the excellent response: "You wouldn't understand", the circle is complete. And, either intentionally or accidentally, some scenes paid tribute to other movies. I was reminded of the schoolhouse scene in "The Birds", "The Great Escape," when Charles Bronson freezes in the tunnel. And, of course, the original "Night of the Living Dead." One might also think of "An American Werewolf in London.". The language is quite crude (though, considering what's happening, completely appropriate), and the subtext (which reminds me of "Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back", when they're riding with the 'sheep lover') isn't exactly appropriate for the younger crowd. Still, I found this quite fun. Expand
  4. Mar 19, 2012
    I usually give movies more than 4 chances in redeeming my respect, but this film is terrible. I watch movies with an open mind but, this is just terrible. The acting is one of the main reasons why I don't like this film..
  5. Sep 17, 2010
    Comedy horror from New Zealand about genetically "altered" killer sheep.
    Well it kills an hour & a half.
    It's predictable, silly & gross but it never takes itself too seriously.
    Oh & the Were-Sheep are just disturbing.

Unfortunately, Black Sheep takes so long to get going and misses so many easy opportunities for classic comedy it has to be regarded as a noble failure.
  2. Reviewed by: Jim Ridley
    The cartoonish overkill that often makes Black Sheep a hoot proves wearying over an entire movie: The broad comedy and one-note characters eventually cancel out the horror, leaving elaborate set pieces that are more frantic than funny.
  3. A giddily subversive addition to the age-old cinema tradition of the horror comedy.