Blackfish

8.4

1. Jan 19, 2014
    What I liked:
    -Has an emotional appeal to it that I heard but didn't really expect
    -Made me want to make a change about the whales' situation What I disliked: -There's one plot points the makers seemed to miss: Tilikum was cruelly mistreated when young. If they really are so much like humans, could this not make a difference in his behavior? -Just slams Sea World, makes it harder to
    What I liked:
    -Has an emotional appeal to it that I heard but didn't really expect
    -Made me want to make a change about the whales' situation

What I disliked:
    -Just slams Sea World, makes it harder to relate

Conclusion:
    -Will still go to Sea World, out of all the parks, it seems to be the best institution so far
    -Support change nonetheless. I liked the one trainer's idea to give Tilikum an open range with other, older whales. They could still interact humans (like if they cannot find food).
  2. Aug 3, 2014
    A very well made, well-written documentary that only comes short in that it comes across as a political piece rather than a balanced report. The filmmakers pushed to dig out the full story of Tilikum and clearly tried to get all sides of the story on the table, so that effort has to be praised. There is also incredible footage of the orcas in their natural habitat providing stark contrastA very well made, well-written documentary that only comes short in that it comes across as a political piece rather than a balanced report. The filmmakers pushed to dig out the full story of Tilikum and clearly tried to get all sides of the story on the table, so that effort has to be praised. There is also incredible footage of the orcas in their natural habitat providing stark contrast to enclosure life. But what is lacking is a clear reckoning of the value Sea World brings to conservation and to animal wellbeing outside the tank. Agreed we should free the orcas (or put them in open water enclosures), and certainly let's tighten OSHA regulations. But without a more balanced view of the contributions these parks bring to animal welfare it comes across as a shrill piece of Hollywood activism, leaving the viewer to wonder if everyone had a say. That's unfortunate, because this is a very good film. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Steve Persall
    Aug 15, 2013
    Director Gabriela Cowperthwaite creates a fascinating character study of Tilikum, part of a revered species without a single confirmed kill of a human in the wild. Captivity is where Blackfish's evidence continually points the blame for Tilikum's deadly behavior.
  2. Reviewed by: Bill Goodykoontz
    Aug 8, 2013
    Blackfish is a disturbing movie, one that will make you rethink parks like SeaWorld and their value.
  3. Reviewed by: Jenny McCartney
    Aug 3, 2013
    As an indictment of the industry, this is strong stuff.