Blade II

8.9

1. Aug 11, 2015
    After the great success of the first Blade film and before the horrific disaster that was Blade Trinity, Guillermo Del Toro took the reigns of the Blade franchise for it's second outing to turn Blade into the first Marvel movie franchise. In spite of this being Torro's first venture in to action, he proves that he is clearly suited for the genre already having the trademarks that make himAfter the great success of the first Blade film and before the horrific disaster that was Blade Trinity, Guillermo Del Toro took the reigns of the Blade franchise for it's second outing to turn Blade into the first Marvel movie franchise. In spite of this being Torro's first venture in to action, he proves that he is clearly suited for the genre already having the trademarks that make him such a great director, including his flair for cool designs and his ability to create stylish and focused action sequences.

Taking place 2 years after the first Blade film, a mutation has occurred within the vampire community that causes them to mutate into a new species called Reapers. These creatures are stronger, faster and have a far more extreme blood lust, sucking both the blood of vampires and humans at a rapid rate. Thus Blade and his team of vampire hunters are recruited by an elite squad of vampires called the blood pack, to hunt down the Reapers and save both vampires and humans from this new threat.

Once again Snipes is on top form as the Blade, bringing the right mix of humour and sword wielding mastery needed to bring the comic book character to life on screen. But the best new addition to the film is the inclusion of the Bloodpack. Their incorporation into the film creates an interesting dynamic as they were originally trained to kill the daywalker, but put in this new situation are forced to work with him. Thus we're basically waiting for the timb bomb to go off throughout the film, waiting for the inevitable double crossing to begin. Although whilst they all look like the badass vampires they're supposed to and the team as a whole are effective in the story, several members of the team don't seem to get any real screen time. Out of the 8 in the team only 2 of them are being given more than the bare minimum amount of dialogue, making it too clear the rest of them are the vampire equivalent to a nameless red coat.

But the members of the Bloodpack that the film does give time to live up to their badass looks. Ron Perlman plays the leader Reinhardt, who brings his usual tough guy attitude to the role, whilst sharing a cool unfriendly rivalry with Blade, where the pair constantly try to oneup each other. Then there's Nyssa who acts as the main liaison with Blade and his team. Whilst her role in the film is fairly typical as the standard love interest in spite of sharing little chemistry with Snipes, the character still has some great moments through her fight scenes and an interesting side plot exploring where her loyalties should lie.

Toro takes all his talents from directing horror movies into the action genre, with the Reapers slit lipped mouths looking like they could have been ripped directly from a horror film. He's also able to adapt to the action genre by incorporating a constant sense of movement in his camera movement, making the already fast paced swordplay even more exciting. The only downside with the action is the CGI, which at times is rather chunky and ends up making Blade look more like an action figure. However it's so well implemented to maintain the flow of the fight that the effects never distract from the enjoyment of the scene.

Not everything in this film works, with some characters having no real purpose and some poorly explained story elements like Whistler coming back from death in the first film. But what does work is so great that it's easy to look past these flaws. This is by far the best Blade film by delivering on all the cool things that made the first film so enjoyable, with it's fast paced action and awesome designs, whilst improving on the formula with even more impressive action sequences and a great story that leads up to an extremely satisfying pay off.
  2. Jan 3, 2015
    This movie gives a few good laughs, offers entertaiment, and has some action that is nothing out of the usual, but well-made nonetheless - with good actors. Continues from "Blade", but things are pretty well explained in the beginning. Also, perhaps it was just me, or Blade had perfected his act (fighting and weaponry) from the first movie. Not much character growth can be detected, thoughThis movie gives a few good laughs, offers entertaiment, and has some action that is nothing out of the usual, but well-made nonetheless - with good actors. Continues from "Blade", but things are pretty well explained in the beginning. Also, perhaps it was just me, or Blade had perfected his act (fighting and weaponry) from the first movie. Not much character growth can be detected, though a few twists in the plot give insight. Also, what they dismissed in the first movie was romance - for the good of the film. In "Blade II", unfortunately, that is not the case. Expand
  3. Jul 16, 2014
    Blade 2 is just as good as Blade 1. The action is great and plentiful as in the first movie. However this time,
    the style of the action scenes is different because the director is different. The director of Hellboy directed
    Blade 2 and he turned the movie into an action masterpiece. He was a great choice to direct the sequel,
    I would've chose him in a second.
  4. Aug 27, 2013
    Even though the plot and character development have hardly improved from the original, this sequel delivers more stylish action and grimmer visuals than the original thanks to Del Toro's upscale direction.
  5. Sep 27, 2011
    What I like about Guillermo Del Toro is that every movie he makes has beautifully gruesome visuals that overrides all the cons of the movie. "Blade 2" is a good example im talking about.
  6. TahjW.
    Jan 25, 2006
    This offers without a doubt one of the greatest cinematic action experiences of all time. Wesley Snipes IS Blade and Del Toro's vision is brilliant.
  7. TysonB.
    Dec 3, 2005
    The start of something great (Orginal Blade) just changed tone and downgraded to good.
  8. TonyM.
    Nov 4, 2004
    This Movie Waz Awsome I Bareley Seen This Movie Today And I Thought It Waz Better Than The First Blade I Mean Damn Wesley Snipes Waz Awsome In This Movie And Ron Perlman Waz Awsome As A Bad Guy He Waz Like The Best Actor On That Movie Aww Man I Cant Even Speak This Movie Waz so Tight This Is A Must See Even Though The Movie IS Kinda Old But Still Tight Though.
  9. SteveK.
    Nov 12, 2002
    Not so bad... Not so good either... Lots of blood and gore if you like that stuff. Pretty decent movie.
  10. Werner
    Nov 3, 2002
    One of the best horror movies i have ever seen. For horror fans, a must see!
  11. PatrickW.
    Sep 8, 2002
    I was shocked to hear that people felt this film was too violent. Stylish, aesthetically pleasing colour palette, in ways it improves upon the first while maintaining its core brand indentity, some incomplete CGI - predictable and false. This film is entertaining.
  12. KainF.
    Jul 16, 2002
    Great atmosphere. But Keith, Benicio del Toro won the Oscar. Guillermo del Toro has been directing for a while now: Mimic, Devil's Backbone, Cronos, etc.
  13. KeithK.
    May 30, 2002
    Sometimes when an actor turns to directing, the results can be disastrous, such as Dana Plato's helming an episode of Cops, with tragic consequences. But just a year after winning the award for Best Supporting Actor for Traffic, Guillermo del Toro has gone behind the camera with remarkable success, in Blade 2. The movie occasionally shows some "newbie jitters" (what we call it when Sometimes when an actor turns to directing, the results can be disastrous, such as Dana Plato's helming an episode of Cops, with tragic consequences. But just a year after winning the award for Best Supporting Actor for Traffic, Guillermo del Toro has gone behind the camera with remarkable success, in Blade 2. The movie occasionally shows some "newbie jitters" (what we call it when the newest person on my Babylon 5 chat group erroneously refers to the Minbari as "Klingons," or to the rest of us as "dorks"), but it's a really great movie in most ways. Expand
  14. ModessarF.
    May 29, 2002
    I have gaven this film a rate of 9 as it is the best movie i have ever seen, but the thing is that the hero does not badly gets injured. Over all the graphics were pretty cool.
  15. BloodsuckerSnipes
    May 7, 2002
    This is the best dam movie ever! It will keep u on the edge of your seat. It is an action, gore, and violece packed movie!!I If u throw up easily, don't see this movie.
  16. JakeM.
    Apr 8, 2002
    Just awesome, one of the cooliest movies of the year. Watch this movie and you'll get your fair share of vampire slaying.
  17. BLaaaaa
    Mar 26, 2002
    Being a huge fan of the first film, I may seem biased but to be honest I don't see how you could give Blade II less than a 7. It has undeniable style, a pumping soundtrack, sweet special effects, intense action sequences and some humor thrown in with the disputes of the Bloodpack/Blade/Whistler, I didn't give it a 10 cuz the new Reapers just aren't as cool as the vampires Being a huge fan of the first film, I may seem biased but to be honest I don't see how you could give Blade II less than a 7. It has undeniable style, a pumping soundtrack, sweet special effects, intense action sequences and some humor thrown in with the disputes of the Bloodpack/Blade/Whistler, I didn't give it a 10 cuz the new Reapers just aren't as cool as the vampires but then again we needed somethin new for the sequel, also because the story is just an afterthought, but its a good show to go see if you just want stylish violence and action. Oh yeah don't go see this if you're squemish (sp?) or all anti-violence or somethin cuz you probly wont like it as much. Expand
  18. RonW.
    Mar 25, 2002
    If you doze off during this flick, it means you have a truly serious neurological disorder that needs immediate medical attention. I don't think movies were meant to be this action-packed, so hats off to del Toro, Snipes, and company for pulling this one off. Disregard all the critics reviews below a 7. Thank me later.
  19. DayW.
    Mar 24, 2002
    Blade II is full of extreme fighting sequences that nearly rival "Crouching Tiger" and special effects reminiscent of "The Matrix." This is a great vampire, action film! Blade II betters the first and exceeds it own definition of this genre. Must see!
  20. JohnnyP.
    Mar 23, 2002
    That was a good movie. To me it's better then the first one.
    Mar 22, 2002
    Awesome sequel... I didn't know if it could beat the 1st, but I'd say it about ties.
  22. MichaelF.
    Mar 22, 2002
    This is one of the few sequels that's better than the orginal. The original was a stupid but fun experience, this is just more of the fun, much less of the stupid and more action. This movie has TONS of action. Good action at that. Snipes is good at doing that thing he does but is unbelievable with the stunts. The film has really good looking FX and make-up. Though the film is more This is one of the few sequels that's better than the orginal. The original was a stupid but fun experience, this is just more of the fun, much less of the stupid and more action. This movie has TONS of action. Good action at that. Snipes is good at doing that thing he does but is unbelievable with the stunts. The film has really good looking FX and make-up. Though the film is more disgusting than the first, it at time overdoes the gore. It's pretty creative and has really nice cinematography. The first film's main high point, for me, was how it was shot, the steel look. This film has a tiny bit of that steel look, but the director adds in more yellows. Though it's not shot as well, it's definitely lacking more of those really sh...y lines like the first one. TONS OF FUN! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Mike Clark
    Snipes gives a looser, cooler performance this time around, though emotionally, it's closer to dead than undead. Blade II is for the horror faithful only; others will be grasping their crucifixes.
    You can sense the difference between a movie that's a technical exercise ("Resident Evil") and one steamed in the dread cauldrons of the filmmaker's imagination.
  3. New York Daily News
    Reviewed by: Jack Mathews
    Del Toro ("Cronos") is a stylish horrormeister, and he has created an evocative, foreboding atmosphere. But only a fan of this kind of mayhem could find a way into the story.