Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: June 25, 1982
8.9
Universal acclaim based on 714 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SpangleJul 17, 2014
There are many problems with Blade Runner, but let us start with the positives. First, the setting is great. The futuristic city they built is beautiful and amazingly huge in scope. In addition, the general feel of the film is cool and theThere are many problems with Blade Runner, but let us start with the positives. First, the setting is great. The futuristic city they built is beautiful and amazingly huge in scope. In addition, the general feel of the film is cool and the lighting is perfect. The acting is also solid. However, beyond this, the film is a trainwreck. The story is terrible. It is overly complex and nearly impossible to follow, even if you pay attention. The action is stupid and poorly done. The script is lacking as well. The film is not slow, but it never really hooks you in. I was never made to care about anything that happened. In addition, the ending is terrible, largely because it creepy and borderline sadistic, which completely turned me off and made me entirely repulsed. For a film that is now considered a classic, I find myself agreeing with the initial negative reception. Expand
djalexJul 24, 2011
this film has great lighting in it. great set design if it was just for looking at a set. its the first attempt to mix film noir with sci fi creating the space noir genre. thats it. THIS IS THE MOST OVER RATED FILM IN THE HISTORY OF FILM.this film has great lighting in it. great set design if it was just for looking at a set. its the first attempt to mix film noir with sci fi creating the space noir genre. thats it. THIS IS THE MOST OVER RATED FILM IN THE HISTORY OF FILM. In fact, this film is a perfect failure on almost every level. The basic problem: it undermines its own premise. no animals but they have fur coats and leather and tasty joints to eat noodles out of ,,,yum! the world was destroyed so most people live off world except the opening shot looks like detroit in its hey-day not to mention the streets are packed and there are construction lights everywhere (there must have been an infrustructure stimulus packaged passed). the dialogue is horrendous "we scarred each other pretty good didn't we [giggle giggle]? we sure did!" . the genius scientist (jr) is also a naive idiot. the main character is not interested in anything that is going on and has no impetus to be involved in the movie at all. the opening scene where the rival bounty hunter is killed should be gripping and its just a guy getting shot. this film took me 8 times to watch before i completed it without falling asleep. then i saw the directors cut and it was even worse. how this makes anyones top ten sci fi films list is beyond me other than the fact that the lighting and cinematography are amazing. its a series of still photos and should be presented as such. Collapse
xsinxJun 18, 2017
This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Always been a fan of a good scifi movie... I was like 6 when this came out and didn't watch it back then and for some reason never got around to watching it until recently. I've been told numerous times this was a classic, one of the best of the genre. Well wait, I did watch it like 10 years ago after a friend told me it was his favorite movie of all times and I honestly don't remember any of it, other than I felt it was pretty boring. So a couple months ago I watched it and fell asleep on it... and now I finally got around to watching it fully, well rested and with no expectations.

I just feel the jell-o doesn't take hold... It seems like the whole plot is very shallow and uneventful. Throughout the movie, you don't quite get what the runaway replicants want exactly and by the time you do, they pretty much learn they can't do anything about it... Then it just becomes a succession of extremely cheesy action scenes (the whole JF Sebastian apartment ending, geez man, give me a break).

Overall, it was a pretty excruciating experience to watch. Granted, it was ahead of it's time and there was a lot of originality, but story-wise, it was in my opinion terrible. I hope Denis Villeneuve's upcoming follow up mops the floor with this, won't be hard IMHO.
AliciaSep 3, 2007
Dull. Stale. Uninvolving mess...hopefully this film will be overshadowed, its nothing but a torn, unemotional film with no potential whatsoever.
1 of 7 users found this helpful
MatthewH.Nov 7, 2009
Worst Sci Fi movie I have ever watched. I don't understand the hype behind this movie. It's slow. Uninspired. And tries to be something that it's not. As in good.
3 of 18 users found this helpful
JohnSmithSep 26, 2006
The whole idea of cyborgs is just ridiculous. There is to much detail in the storyline, making it difficult to follow. How this movie is rated a top sci fi film I still cannot understand. Someone needs to be shot after that one.
0 of 11 users found this helpful
BubbaJackOct 12, 2005
Thumbs down to the Director's Cut. Adding the dream sequence is just as bad as Lucas adding Greedo's arm or Luke's scream. And deleting the voicerover, it diminshes this film to the point I cannot recommend it to anyone...ever.
2 of 9 users found this helpful
thegameplayazDec 3, 2010
After hearing so much about this film I decided to watch it, despite it being before my time. I am often surprised at how great some older films are, even ones made way before I was born but sadly this wasn't one of them. The good pointsAfter hearing so much about this film I decided to watch it, despite it being before my time. I am often surprised at how great some older films are, even ones made way before I was born but sadly this wasn't one of them. The good points about this film are; the visual effects are amazing and the atmosphere of this futuristic sky-scape is just incredible. The movie itself, however, lacks a solid story, plot, meaning and 'soul'. Its as if the film creators thought "wow this is such an incredible landscape we've created, now lets quickly write a story!" This is sad from a film that had the potential to be one of the greatest sci-fi films ever. The plot is just meaningless, the main character was meaningless and the cyborgs were all just meaningless. Expand
DRUNK-N-DENNYSJun 1, 2012
Excruciatingly boring. Less dialogue than Castaway. Slower than 2001. Less plot than Coffee and Cigarettes. Uninspiring acting. The only reason this film has a non-zero score is the effects, but that's not a good enough reason to watch this one.