Blade Runner

8.9

1. Dec 3, 2010
    After hearing so much about this film I decided to watch it, despite it being before my time. I am often surprised at how great some older films are, even ones made way before I was born but sadly this wasn't one of them. The good points about this film are; the visual effects are amazing and the atmosphere of this futuristic sky-scape is just incredible. The movie itself, however, lacks aAfter hearing so much about this film I decided to watch it, despite it being before my time. I am often surprised at how great some older films are, even ones made way before I was born but sadly this wasn't one of them. The good points about this film are; the visual effects are amazing and the atmosphere of this futuristic sky-scape is just incredible. The movie itself, however, lacks a solid story, plot, meaning and 'soul'. Its as if the film creators thought "wow this is such an incredible landscape we've created, now lets quickly write a story!" This is sad from a film that had the potential to be one of the greatest sci-fi films ever. The plot is just meaningless, the main character was meaningless and the cyborgs were all just meaningless. Collapse
  2. JefferyB.
    Jul 31, 2005
    The Director's Cut is awful. Give me back my dumded-down voice-over! I'm being sarcastic, but that's what fan's of the Director's Cut call the voice over...duming down the movie.. For me, it adds character to the film. It's like a first-person novel..Reminds me of a movie based off a Raymond Chandler story. I like the so-called "cheesy" happy ending. The The Director's Cut is awful. Give me back my dumded-down voice-over! I'm being sarcastic, but that's what fan's of the Director's Cut call the voice over...duming down the movie.. For me, it adds character to the film. It's like a first-person novel..Reminds me of a movie based off a Raymond Chandler story. I like the so-called "cheesy" happy ending. The unicorn dream? Talk about dumbing down....now that sure is a big hint that Deckard's a replicant. I have the international cut on VHS. I'm still waiting for that to come DVD. Heck, the Director's cut didn't even add any new scenes except the dream sequence. This DVD release of one of the greatest sci-fi films of all time is a disgrace. Expand
  3. BubbaJack
    Oct 12, 2005
    Thumbs down to the Director's Cut. Adding the dream sequence is just as bad as Lucas adding Greedo's arm or Luke's scream. And deleting the voicerover, it diminshes this film to the point I cannot recommend it to anyone...ever.
  4. Jul 24, 2011
    this film has great lighting in it. great set design if it was just for looking at a set. its the first attempt to mix film noir with sci fi creating the space noir genre. thats it. THIS IS THE MOST OVER RATED FILM IN THE HISTORY OF FILM. In fact, this film is a perfect failure on almost every level. The basic problem: it undermines its own premise. no animals but they have furthis film has great lighting in it. great set design if it was just for looking at a set. its the first attempt to mix film noir with sci fi creating the space noir genre. thats it. THIS IS THE MOST OVER RATED FILM IN THE HISTORY OF FILM. In fact, this film is a perfect failure on almost every level. The basic problem: it undermines its own premise. no animals but they have fur coats and leather and tasty joints to eat noodles out of ,,,yum! the world was destroyed so most people live off world except the opening shot looks like detroit in its hey-day not to mention the streets are packed and there are construction lights everywhere (there must have been an infrustructure stimulus packaged passed). the dialogue is horrendous "we scarred each other pretty good didn't we [giggle giggle]? we sure did!" . the genius scientist (jr) is also a naive idiot. the main character is not interested in anything that is going on and has no impetus to be involved in the movie at all. the opening scene where the rival bounty hunter is killed should be gripping and its just a guy getting shot. this film took me 8 times to watch before i completed it without falling asleep. then i saw the directors cut and it was even worse. how this makes anyones top ten sci fi films list is beyond me other than the fact that the lighting and cinematography are amazing. its a series of still photos and should be presented as such. Expand
  5. MatthewH.
    Nov 7, 2009
    Worst Sci Fi movie I have ever watched. I don't understand the hype behind this movie. It's slow. Uninspired. And tries to be something that it's not. As in good.
  6. Alicia
    Sep 3, 2007
    Dull. Stale. Uninvolving mess...hopefully this film will be overshadowed, its nothing but a torn, unemotional film with no potential whatsoever.
  7. JohnSmith
    Sep 26, 2006
    The whole idea of cyborgs is just ridiculous. There is to much detail in the storyline, making it difficult to follow. How this movie is rated a top sci fi film I still cannot understand. Someone needs to be shot after that one.
  8. Jun 1, 2012
    Excruciatingly boring. Less dialogue than Castaway. Slower than 2001. Less plot than Coffee and Cigarettes. Uninspiring acting. The only reason this film has a non-zero score is the effects, but that's not a good enough reason to watch this one.
  9. Jul 17, 2014
    There are many problems with Blade Runner, but let us start with the positives. First, the setting is great. The futuristic city they built is beautiful and amazingly huge in scope. In addition, the general feel of the film is cool and the lighting is perfect. The acting is also solid. However, beyond this, the film is a trainwreck. The story is terrible. It is overly complex and nearlyThere are many problems with Blade Runner, but let us start with the positives. First, the setting is great. The futuristic city they built is beautiful and amazingly huge in scope. In addition, the general feel of the film is cool and the lighting is perfect. The acting is also solid. However, beyond this, the film is a trainwreck. The story is terrible. It is overly complex and nearly impossible to follow, even if you pay attention. The action is stupid and poorly done. The script is lacking as well. The film is not slow, but it never really hooks you in. I was never made to care about anything that happened. In addition, the ending is terrible, largely because it creepy and borderline sadistic, which completely turned me off and made me entirely repulsed. For a film that is now considered a classic, I find myself agreeing with the initial negative reception. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Robert Osborne
    Jun 23, 2016
    Blade Runner is a cold, bold, bizarre and mesmerizing futuristic detective thriller that unites the British-born director of Alien with new box-office dynamo Harrison Ford for results that are as impressive as any film that's exploded through a projector so far this year.
    Grand enough in scale to carry its many Biblical and mythological references, Blade Runner never feels heavy or pretentious -- only more and more engrossing with each viewing. It helps, too, that it works as pure entertainment.
  3. The grafting of 40s hard-boiled detective story with SF thriller creates some dysfunctional overlaps, and the movie loses some force whenever violence takes over, yet this remains a truly extraordinary, densely imagined version of both the future and the present, with a look and taste all its own.