Blades of Glory

7.0

1. LouisH.
    Apr 16, 2008
    First, let me say that I love this site and how it gives us the chance to express ourselves. Back on subject: I can't think of any reason why this movie does not deserve a 10. I mean, it was hilarious (even for the comedy-hating critics), what more do you want?
  2. Oct 16, 2011
    "Blades of Glory" is a suprisingly well crafted comedy full of fun and joy. It limits its use of sex jokes as well as using Will Ferell's performance wisely. A enjoyable movie :)!!!
  3. AMovieCritic
    Mar 30, 2007
    Really, REALLY funny movie. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder are really perfect and they really MAKE this movie. It also helps that the script is really funny and throws jokes at you about every 5 seconds. This is really a funny movie and even though (like all Will Ferrell movies) it kinda gets a little tedious in the 2nd half as more plot and less jokes are introduced...it easily makes up for Really, REALLY funny movie. Will Ferrell and Jon Heder are really perfect and they really MAKE this movie. It also helps that the script is really funny and throws jokes at you about every 5 seconds. This is really a funny movie and even though (like all Will Ferrell movies) it kinda gets a little tedious in the 2nd half as more plot and less jokes are introduced...it easily makes up for it. While I wouldn't say this one is EXACTLY as memorable as Anchorman, it's definitely a huge step up above Talladega Nights. Definitely recommended. Expand
  4. HollyR.
    Apr 1, 2007
    OMG I haven't laughed so hard since Borat (which I loved!). I love figure skating and I loved this movie!!! It was awesome. I couldn't care less about comparing Will Ferrel to his other movies, but he and the Napoleon actor were both great in this, period. I can't wait to go see it again!
  5. ChristopherW.
    Apr 15, 2007
    The two leads once again demonstrate their ample comedic talents, particularly in the many scenes they share together. This is the kind of film that anticipates its audience by not catering to any high order pretensions. It's packed end to end with good laughs and wonderful fun. If you prefer your comedies grounded in realism, avoid this one. Others eat up!
  6. BilB.
    Apr 7, 2007
    As stupid as this movie was, I really found it funny.
  7. BriceM.
    Jul 3, 2007
    I don't even know where to start, but probably the best movie ever! I am still laughing picturing the special move they put on one another. You know the one where they are hanging upside down. This movie will defy the law of diminishing return. It will only get better and better with time.
  8. NickC.
    Oct 14, 2007
    I went into this movie with extremely low expectations, and was surprised to find myself cracking up through the whole thing. Of course it's stupid, of course it's immature. It's one of the silliest damn movies I've seen in a while, the funniest comedy this year other than Superbad, Knocked Up and Hot Fuzz.
  9. Barbara
    Oct 30, 2007
    I found myself laughing even when I wondered why.
  10. KimT
    Apr 10, 2007
    First, let me say that I'm probably an exception to the 'normal' demographic for Will Ferrell's brand of humor - 49/F. That said, "Blades of Glory" is flippin' hilarious! I was doubled-over with laughter more than once and my husband (he's 53) and I were cracking up throughout the entire movie. Some of the best fun in life is stupid fun. We have to grow First, let me say that I'm probably an exception to the 'normal' demographic for Will Ferrell's brand of humor - 49/F. That said, "Blades of Glory" is flippin' hilarious! I was doubled-over with laughter more than once and my husband (he's 53) and I were cracking up throughout the entire movie. Some of the best fun in life is stupid fun. We have to grow older, but we don't have to grow up, right?! Keep laughin' kids! Collapse
  11. TylerD.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Honest to goodness, I don't think I've ever laughed so hard in my entire life. Heder and Farrel worked together brilliantly in this film. Absolutely hilarious.
  12. KevinS.
    Apr 3, 2007
    I thought it was a pretty funny movie. I can't stand Jon Heder, so thank god Ferrell carries the movie. Will Arnett is a nice up-and-comer. But seriously, how can Frankie say that Anchorman was his worst. Anchorman was easily the best Ferrell movie to date. Comic gold. Maybe the funniest movie I've ever seen and gets better each time you watch it, kind of like all his movies. I thought it was a pretty funny movie. I can't stand Jon Heder, so thank god Ferrell carries the movie. Will Arnett is a nice up-and-comer. But seriously, how can Frankie say that Anchorman was his worst. Anchorman was easily the best Ferrell movie to date. Comic gold. Maybe the funniest movie I've ever seen and gets better each time you watch it, kind of like all his movies. ANyway, go see this one. It's a nice little comedy. Very entertaining. Expand
  13. BR.
    Apr 3, 2007
    One of the funniest, most absurd movies I have ever seen. I'm actually considering seeing it a second time in the theater & will most definitely be buying the DVD.
  14. Joe
    Apr 8, 2007
    I wasn't expecting much from this move, but I was pleasantly surprised to find it witty and full of laughs. Great chemistry between Heder and Ferrell made the film a winner.
  15. HighTime
    Jun 1, 2007
    John Heder is so unlikely a hero but makes it work everytime.
  16. JillH
    Sep 5, 2007
    In bleak and cynical times like this, it feels so good to laugh, even if the humor isn't exactly highbrow. The costumes alone are worth the price of the rental. Seeing Will Arendt and Amy Poehler in those horribly awesome hip-hop outfits.....please! If you can watch the first 10 minutes and not laugh...I feel sad for you. Embrace some silly, it's okay. You can balance it out by In bleak and cynical times like this, it feels so good to laugh, even if the humor isn't exactly highbrow. The costumes alone are worth the price of the rental. Seeing Will Arendt and Amy Poehler in those horribly awesome hip-hop outfits.....please! If you can watch the first 10 minutes and not laugh...I feel sad for you. Embrace some silly, it's okay. You can balance it out by reading the New Yorker cover to cover tomorrow. Expand
  17. Frankie
    Mar 31, 2007
    I don't know why everyone says not as funny as Anchorman, but funnier than Talledega. I am a big Ferrel fan, but Anchorman was easily his worst. Talladega was a big step up form Anchorman, and Blades is almost on par with Ricky Bobby.
  18. ChachiS.
    Mar 31, 2007
    Not such a bad flick, I had a smile the whole way through and was really laughing hard a few times. Walking on skates on pavement was hilarious. Not Ferrel's best, but he still produces. And Frankie, there's no such thing as a Will Ferrel fan who doesn't like Anchorman. Blasphemy. How can that show NOT be funny?
  19. TheGuy
    Mar 30, 2007
    Funniest film ever! Beat's Anchor Man hands down! I almost threw up twice because I laughed that hard!
  20. MattS.
    Apr 15, 2007
    Very very funny but Will Ferrell and Jon Heder still play the same roles in every movie. Jenna Fischer is lookin' good in this one though.
  21. DarrenK.
    Apr 18, 2007
    It was better than Talladega Nights but as with most Will Ferrell movies, its a half-hour concept stretched too far.
  22. MrHand
    Apr 2, 2007
    This film contains essentially some of the funniest gags ever. Seeing Jon Heder and Will Ferrell dance to "Don't Wanna Miss a Thing" is hilarious, and this film has one of the best decapitations ever.
  23. ChadS.
    Apr 6, 2007
    By making Jimmy MacElroy (Jon Heder) virginal instead of gay, "Blades of Glory" saved itself from being mean-spirited and tasteless; after all, anything that incorporates fashion is inherently gay. To put it more succinctly, and I'm quoting (paraphrasing), "...it's gay enough," (an on-camera reaction to the pairing of Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy). Inspired, perhaps, by an By making Jimmy MacElroy (Jon Heder) virginal instead of gay, "Blades of Glory" saved itself from being mean-spirited and tasteless; after all, anything that incorporates fashion is inherently gay. To put it more succinctly, and I'm quoting (paraphrasing), "...it's gay enough," (an on-camera reaction to the pairing of Chazz Michael Michaels and Jimmy). Inspired, perhaps, by an old SNL sketch featuring Christopher Guest and Martin Short as same-sex synchronized swimmers, this decidedly feminine sport gets the send-up it deserves. Look at Chazz: classic overcompensation; no horndog lothario chooses figure skating as his occupation. The truth comes out, I think, in the final scene. "Blades of Glory" has a subtext and it's also laugh-out-loud funny. This is Will Ferrell's best movie since Jon Favreau's "Elf". His ad-libs are all beauts; no duds like, "Help me, Oprah Winfrey! Help me, Tom Cruise!" His reputation as an alleged comic genius is temporarily restored ("Kicking and Screaming" was his nadir). "Blades of Glory" isn't exactly a model of sophistication; this comedy is decidedly and unabashedly low-brow, however, it's limited use of gross-out humor and overall good-naturedness, sets the movie apart from the theater of comic cruelty, or the theater of comic lewdness (pick one), which both personify most comedies aimed at a mainstream audience. Expand
  24. WaddupGirl
    Aug 30, 2007
    Simply hilarious!!
  25. G-RadA.
    Sep 3, 2007
    I thought it was absolutely hilarious.
  26. JejuanL.
    Mar 29, 2007
    The funniest movie post-Oscars. Hands down.
  27. AdamB.
    Apr 21, 2007
    Will Ferrell is on a roll. Year after year Will comes out with one side splitting comedy after another. The only chink was "Anchorman", but this definately makes up for it. "Blades of Glory" is easily one of the most ridiculous films I have seen in years, possibly ever. It takes a quiet and pure sport and turns it into the NFL. From beginning to end, the ingenious stupidity of it all will Will Ferrell is on a roll. Year after year Will comes out with one side splitting comedy after another. The only chink was "Anchorman", but this definately makes up for it. "Blades of Glory" is easily one of the most ridiculous films I have seen in years, possibly ever. It takes a quiet and pure sport and turns it into the NFL. From beginning to end, the ingenious stupidity of it all will roll into place and become the kind of movie that needs to come more: A silly, entertaining comedy with more brains than you would think. It's utterly hilarious and immensely entertaining. Expand
  28. JoshR.
    Sep 14, 2007
    Blades of Glory is constantly funny, but a bit shallow.
  29. chuck
    Nov 22, 2007
    A good movie. Quite Funny. After Teladega Nights I wasn't sure how much I could expect from Will Farrell, but this was good.
  30. Jun 9, 2013
    Despite it’s excellent supporting cast Blades of Glory is certainly not Will Ferrell’s funniest film, Anchorman still arguably holds that honour, but fans of his comedy style will still find there are sufficient laughs to be had throughout its one and a half hour running time.
  31. Oct 18, 2011
    This movie is a superb comedy, filled with funny moments for people with all different kinds of sense of humor. The storyline is funny itself, and the actors played their part well. Lot's of funny moments that will make you laugh out loud, from the beginning to the end of the movie. Even afterwards you'll still be killing yourself with laughter. A fantastic movie that I recommend to comedy lovers.
  32. May 29, 2012
    Its probably as good as a skating movie is gonna get. Well, I guess its not all about skating.Will Ferrell and that blondie from Napoleon Dynamite do extremely well here.
  33. Sep 3, 2012
    Pretty damn funny. It was just a nice comedy that had something different to offer than the usual crap that is being rehashed by some many other comedies.
  34. Aug 21, 2013
    A really decent comedy movie. It has a good balance between normal and toilet humor. Ferrell and Hider duo fits just great. The story has typical comedy cliches when main characters quarrel about something and later excuse each other, but still it's a pleasure to watch.
  35. Nov 28, 2012
    Thanks to its two hysterical leading actors, "Blades Of Glory" actually proves to be a solidly mirthful comedy.
  36. Jul 30, 2013
    Ferrell excels in this role: cool, confident and crude. I've seen all of his movies and Blades Of Glory makes the top ten with ease. Heder is innocent as always but excels as the kind and hopeless Jimmy which suits him very well. Props to the strong supporting cast and excellent ice skating moves. Normally a movie like this would fail (but having been put in the hands of such successfulFerrell excels in this role: cool, confident and crude. I've seen all of his movies and Blades Of Glory makes the top ten with ease. Heder is innocent as always but excels as the kind and hopeless Jimmy which suits him very well. Props to the strong supporting cast and excellent ice skating moves. Normally a movie like this would fail (but having been put in the hands of such successful actors) it doesn't. The script could have been more witty and the characters more fleshed out but Blades Of Glory is a nice escape from the typical comedy formula Expand
  37. Nov 22, 2014
    Blades of Glory may be my favorite Will Ferrell movie to date. This is when Ferrell did several sports comedies (one being Talladega NIghts and the other was Semi Pro) and I thought this one was by far the best. He and Jon Heder worked very well together but Jon Heder hasn't really done anything notable since. This is a film I was always hoping to see a sequel for although there looks likeBlades of Glory may be my favorite Will Ferrell movie to date. This is when Ferrell did several sports comedies (one being Talladega NIghts and the other was Semi Pro) and I thought this one was by far the best. He and Jon Heder worked very well together but Jon Heder hasn't really done anything notable since. This is a film I was always hoping to see a sequel for although there looks like there may never be one. I also love Amy Poehler and Will Arnett as the bad guys. Expand

1. Blades of Glory has funny moves even when its characters can barely move, but the film seldom gets past its one basic laugh: that a real man figure-skating is a contradiction in terms.
  2. Blades of Glory, although mildly amusing, has the dank odor of having gone to the well once too often: Ooh, let's dress up Ferrell like an elf – or an anchorman or a NASCAR driver – and see what happens.
  3. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    It is trim, fast-moving and often quite funny, particularly in the exchanges between Ferrell and Heder -- the former's trademark clueless oafishness meshes nicely with the latter's alternating current of petulance and sweetness.