6.7

1. Mar 4, 2013
    Hm-m, where do I begin? Yes this movie is different from a typical Hollywood movie. Does it necessarily mean better? I don't think so. Not in this particular case.
    The set is beautiful. But that is nearly the only positive thing I am telling about the movie. The screenplay did not impress me. It is admittedly difficult to make a good script out of a good book. Acting? What would be an opposite of "stand out"? "Obscure"? That is how I could describe most of kids' performances including the main character. He is so cute! Maybe the director assumed that good looks could replace acting skills? With the same expression the hero watches how tragic things happen all around him. Truly, it is beyond y comprehension, why most of critics are so hype about the movie...
  2. Sep 27, 2013
    Read professional critic reviews scoring equal to or less than 50...Yeah, what they said. Excited when I saw this offering on streaming video, I watched patiently for an hour and thirty-four minutes, ignoring the depictions very broad strokes. Stunned I was when I realized that the filmmakers had utterly failed to capture what, to my mind, is an iconic moment in literature, akin toRead professional critic reviews scoring equal to or less than 50...Yeah, what they said. Excited when I saw this offering on streaming video, I watched patiently for an hour and thirty-four minutes, ignoring the depictions very broad strokes. Stunned I was when I realized that the filmmakers had utterly failed to capture what, to my mind, is an iconic moment in literature, akin to Gandalf standing his ground on a narrow stone bridge over an abyss. Good to see film treatment of a great story too-long neglected; bad because a "reboot" will, likely, never happen. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ernest Hardy
    Feb 26, 2013
    Volumes are said about class, assimilation, and the ways the assimilated sometimes shame and scar those who haven't shorn themselves of ethnic or racial signifiers. There is pungency in this shorthand, in these sketches that are richly evocative without saying too much or giving too little. You can't help but wish the movie had more of it.
  2. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Feb 22, 2013
    Unfortunately, Franklin isn't quite as successful at capturing the depth of the traditions for which Anaya's source material is so well known.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Rainer
    Feb 22, 2013
    Writer-director Carl Franklin offers up a tone of heightened reverence that weighs down the material, but there are small, lovely moments when the magic realism approaches the magical.