5.9

1. Apr 6, 2012
    This is a great movie. I believe people would be less critical if they have read writer Jose Saramago's (Nobel laurate- 1998) masterpiece "Blidness" (as it is called in English). the movie is based on it, and succeeds in capturing Saramago's novel. It is unfortunate to see people can't grasp the allegorical nature of this film. Great performances, excellent storyline, magnificent adaptation of the book. A movie that is so underrated that is sad to see that. I think people should read more good literatute (not mere bestsellers)...because if they did, the would have a more open mind too...richer perspectives or life. As for those who are calling 'idiots' to those who appreciate this film, (i.e Edwardsomething) I find absolytelty idiotic their attitude...that shows how narrow their minds are if they believe those who do not see what they do are stupid. Considering that, and after reading his (Edward's) comment, I actually am relieves to be called 'idiot' by him, for if it was the opposite, I would perhaps be worried...seriously worried! Expand
  2. Sep 10, 2010
    Blindness is a masterpiece from its very core. The book that originated it is outstanding, as the majority of José Saramgo's work is.

That being said, let me justify myself: somethings are undeniable when watching the movie, first thing is the language (don't really know if this is the right term) chosen. Meirelle's camera behave as a blind man, choosing spots that never
    reveal all the scene, as if not giving importance to how we see the scene. This choice gives a very dark (or gloomy someone said) mood to the film. This mood is of the most importance. We have to think that we are talking about something like a social blindness, about our incapability to think and to reason some questions that can change everything.

Another important point is the choice to work only the video and audio aspects of the story, that may sound strange but if you've read the book you'll surely remember that the book uses scents and dirtiness as tools to create the sensation of loathing and since cinema can't work with scent, yet, he chose not to use it.

The video and audio work in the movie is amazing there are times when we, the watchers, experience total blindness in the movie and the movie trust completely in the sound work to guide as through the scene it is a crazy experience.

Ok. I think I've gone a little bit to far here. Enough. I hope that I can convince some people to re-watch the movie with a more critic eye. It saddens me to see such a great movie rated 45 and 56 on Metacritic.

Enjoy.
  3. May 28, 2011
    It wasn't very bad, but a lot of unrealistic action. I expected so much more from Julienne Moore's character. I didnt understood the role of her husband having sex with another women and her reaction to it, also the ending didnt bring any light as I expected.
  4. May 23, 2012
    Blindness is an epic, edge-of-your-seat film that's as much a masterpiece as it is underrated. Even after multiple viewings, the film offers something new and truly riveting each time, as there is enough material both in the storyline and subtext to reward such repeated sittings. Is it a drama? Science-fiction? Even horror? Yes, all of that and more.... With the exception maybe of comedy. Blindness is not a very funny film, it is even almost unwatchably bleak at times, and there are some moments I don't like to watch or want to see ever again. Still, there's not a bad performance in the film and Julianne Moore will bring your ass to tears, she's so **** good. If the Oscars meant anything anymore, Blindness would have been among the year's best, but Gwyneth Paltrow actually has a Best Actress award somewhere in her possession so there you go. I'm guessing that history will be kind to this film as more people get the benefit of seeing it, the overall experience is very rewarding and the ending makes the pain worthwhile. Expand

1. As the players enact the fall and rebirth of civilization, Meirelles suggests that even a society gone to hell looks better with a little music-video-like pizzazz.
  2. Blindness is provocative cinema. But it also is predictable cinema: It startles but does not surprise.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Meirelles' slickly crafted drama rarely achieves the visceral force, tragic scope and human resonance of Saramago's prose.