5.9

1. carlitod
    Sep 3, 2009
    This movie rocks! A must see. Beautifully shot and executed. a flawless piece of what will one day become cult cinema.
  2. HenriqueT.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Masterpiece. Meirelles does great job putting on screen the Saramago classic. It's a hard movie to watch? Yes, that's the point of the movie. Saramago's (Nobel winning) metaphor points out that if we weren't so "blind" that's how we actually would see the world. Not to mention the innovating/unique filming and top notch acting.
  3. Apr 6, 2012
    This is a great movie. I believe people would be less critical if they have read writer Jose Saramago's (Nobel laurate- 1998) masterpiece "Blidness" (as it is called in English). the movie is based on it, and succeeds in capturing Saramago's novel. It is unfortunate to see people can't grasp the allegorical nature of this film. Great performances, excellent storyline, magnificentThis is a great movie. I believe people would be less critical if they have read writer Jose Saramago's (Nobel laurate- 1998) masterpiece "Blidness" (as it is called in English). the movie is based on it, and succeeds in capturing Saramago's novel. It is unfortunate to see people can't grasp the allegorical nature of this film. Great performances, excellent storyline, magnificent adaptation of the book. A movie that is so underrated that is sad to see that. I think people should read more good literatute (not mere bestsellers)...because if they did, the would have a more open mind too...richer perspectives or life. As for those who are calling 'idiots' to those who appreciate this film, (i.e Edwardsomething) I find absolytelty idiotic their attitude...that shows how narrow their minds are if they believe those who do not see what they do are stupid. Considering that, and after reading his (Edward's) comment, I actually am relieves to be called 'idiot' by him, for if it was the opposite, I would perhaps be worried...seriously worried! Expand
  4. MarcoC.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Excellent adaptation of Saramago's book. Moore's work is Oscar winner for sure. The movie shows us what life is really about.
  5. PauloD.
    Sep 30, 2008
    Masterpiece! Fantastic! Saramago's world is in each second of the movie!
  6. Sep 10, 2010
    Blindness is a masterpiece from its very core. The book that originated it is outstanding, as the majority of José Saramgo's work is.

That being said, let me justify myself: somethings are undeniable when watching the movie, first thing is the language (don't really know if this is the right term) chosen. Meirelle's camera behave as a blind man, choosing spots that never reveal all the scene, as if not giving importance to how we see the scene. This choice gives a very dark (or gloomy someone said) mood to the film. This mood is of the most importance. We have to think that we are talking about something like a social blindness, about our incapability to think and to reason some questions that can change everything.

Another important point is the choice to work only the video and audio aspects of the story, that may sound strange but if you've read the book you'll surely remember that the book uses scents and dirtiness as tools to create the sensation of loathing and since cinema can't work with scent, yet, he chose not to use it.

The video and audio work in the movie is amazing there are times when we, the watchers, experience total blindness in the movie and the movie trust completely in the sound work to guide as through the scene it is a crazy experience.

Ok. I think I've gone a little bit to far here. Enough. I hope that I can convince some people to re-watch the movie with a more critic eye. It saddens me to see such a great movie rated 45 and 56 on Metacritic.

Enjoy.
  7. JosefS.
    Oct 1, 2008
    Fantastic! I have no words to express how strong this movie is. Meirelles is wonderful!
  8. BillyS.
    Oct 4, 2008
    Blindness is so much more than "ooh, everybody in the world goes blind." It is a very smart, very intriguing story that at times is almost the cinematic opposite of Malick's The New World - dark, painful but a wonder to watch. Meirelles has stepped up a notch after the briliant The Constant Gardner and Julianne Moore is finally back in a leading role worthy of an Oscar nomination. Blindness is so much more than "ooh, everybody in the world goes blind." It is a very smart, very intriguing story that at times is almost the cinematic opposite of Malick's The New World - dark, painful but a wonder to watch. Meirelles has stepped up a notch after the briliant The Constant Gardner and Julianne Moore is finally back in a leading role worthy of an Oscar nomination. She is, as always, perfect as the only sighted person left who suffers more by what she can see then by what others can't. Cesar Charlone's cinematography lures the viewer into a world of "white blindness" from total blackness to looking at the sun brightness that is totally hypnotic and deserving of year-end recognition. Blindness is not a movie-for-the-masses, and in my book, one of the Best Movies I've seen this year! Expand
  9. YuriC.
    Oct 1, 2008
    I love how he (the director) tells the history. Amazing.
  10. DavidB.
    Oct 3, 2008
    Great movie. Very psicologicaland thought provoking. If the book is better, like usually they are, I gonna enjoy very much that reading. Not a movie for the "Pollyannas", mind you.
  11. Enrique
    Oct 3, 2008
    A masterpiece. Not for every body.
  12. ElvisD.
    Oct 3, 2008
    The director Fernando Meirelles (City of God, The Constant Gardener) makes an intriguing work about the blindness of the human soul.
  13. DudleiO.
    Oct 17, 2009
    Wonderful! I have both read the novel and watched the movie, and it's hard to say which one is better. You can feel the desperation the characters go through. In some scenes I felt breathless, such was the intensity of (both physical and moral) violence. And, as I left the movie theater, I honestly believed, for a few seconds, that everyone around me had gone blind. Such a powerful movie!
  14. PloK.
    Dec 14, 2009
    Another brilliant film from McKellar. Touching, brutal, horrifying, and deeper than many people want their movies to be... but if you liked "Last Night", you'll appreciate this film. It's hard to say you'll *like* this film, because it is in some ways a very traumatic film. I had to pause the film for a few minutes and ask myself if I could handle what was happening on the Another brilliant film from McKellar. Touching, brutal, horrifying, and deeper than many people want their movies to be... but if you liked "Last Night", you'll appreciate this film. It's hard to say you'll *like* this film, because it is in some ways a very traumatic film. I had to pause the film for a few minutes and ask myself if I could handle what was happening on the screen. I tentatively decided to go on, and was rewarded with one of the best films I've ever seen. This isn't a feel-good film... but if you understand why it is that the darker stuff should be explored as well, the unflinching and brutal honesty in this film will hit a nerve. Many of them. Expand
  15. BenM.
    Mar 15, 2010
    Lord Of The Flies'esque film which touches on basic human instincts of survival when things don't go quite to plan. Can't help but be moved by this film. Some questions remain unanswered, but does everything always need explaining? certainly not.
  16. HollyR.
    Oct 29, 2008
    This movie was a good study of human behavior when people become vulnerable and helpless. It is a study of human character under a crisis. If you are interested in psychology and/or human nature, you will quite like this movie. I liked the way it was filmed (stark) and felt it was a powerful movie. (I have a degree in psychology and love Sci-Fi.) Julianne Moore did a great job!
  17. MichaelS.
    Oct 6, 2008
    Fernando Meirelles' ambitious film "BLINDNESS" aims for Oscar contention, but is more realistically going to end up a cult classic in the near future. Many will hate it, some will love it. I'd say it's an 8/10.
  18. ChadS.
    Oct 9, 2008
    This happening is steeped in literary origins; one by one, big city denizens are embroiled in an epidemic of mass blindness, a condition that's symptomatic of an all-encompassing commonality: The world is going blind. "Blindness", the Nobel Prize-winning novel by Jose Saramengo, in spite of its heightened language and scope, like Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", is This happening is steeped in literary origins; one by one, big city denizens are embroiled in an epidemic of mass blindness, a condition that's symptomatic of an all-encompassing commonality: The world is going blind. "Blindness", the Nobel Prize-winning novel by Jose Saramengo, in spite of its heightened language and scope, like Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", is unmistakably a work of speculative fiction, which becomes more readily apparent with this servicable adaptation that probably does a disservice to the celebrated Portugese writer, since the film invites easy comparisons to M. Night Shyamalan's "The Happening" and Danny Boyle's "28 Days Later". "Blindness" plays out like an art house B-picture. In place of blind people, insert zombies; while the zombies are blind to their own humanity, some of the quarantined people at the staging area are blind to inhumanity, as the King of Ward Three(Gael Garcia Bernal) and his minions, pillage the food and rape the women. Thankfully, the filmmaker is mindful of Sarmengo's literary pedigree; he resists the temptation to put his own stamp on the material, unlike an egotist such as Shyamalan, who given the opportunity to adapt "Blindness", might have provided his own adducement behind this inexplicable outbreak of spontaneous unseeing, and transform the Saramengo novel into a tree happening. This laborious, but passionate piece of filmmaking, coaxes science fiction out from the narrative's closet, much to the chagrin of the Nobel Prize committee. It's the Richard Matheson short story reimagined as "I Am Blind". Expand
  19. JustinM
    Apr 19, 2009
    A very engaging movie that examines the ability of mankind to cope with disaster. Tough to watch at times but necessary to appreciate the end.
  20. Stephanies.
    May 31, 2009
    Michelle S, seriously? you obviously missed the point of the novel. if you even read the novel. the movie stayed true to the spirit of the book and i think anybody could appreciate that.
  21. AdamL
    Apr 29, 2009
    I think this movie was solid all the way through. It didnt stray from looking at the lowest parts of humanity that appear in a crises. This is not a feel-good movie, as perhaps the red number people may have hoped. But I think it was well done. Its an art film . There are plenty of squeamish scenes and if you dont want to leave your comfort zone , don't watch this movie. Because it I think this movie was solid all the way through. It didnt stray from looking at the lowest parts of humanity that appear in a crises. This is not a feel-good movie, as perhaps the red number people may have hoped. But I think it was well done. Its an art film . There are plenty of squeamish scenes and if you dont want to leave your comfort zone , don't watch this movie. Because it will make you think and perhaps yell at the screen ! Expand
  22. May 23, 2012
    Blindness is an epic, edge-of-your-seat film that's as much a masterpiece as it is underrated. Even after multiple viewings, the film offers something new and truly riveting each time, as there is enough material both in the storyline and subtext to reward such repeated sittings. Is it a drama? Science-fiction? Even horror? Yes, all of that and more.... With the exception maybe of comedy.Blindness is an epic, edge-of-your-seat film that's as much a masterpiece as it is underrated. Even after multiple viewings, the film offers something new and truly riveting each time, as there is enough material both in the storyline and subtext to reward such repeated sittings. Is it a drama? Science-fiction? Even horror? Yes, all of that and more.... With the exception maybe of comedy. Blindness is not a very funny film, it is even almost unwatchably bleak at times, and there are some moments I don't like to watch or want to see ever again. Still, there's not a bad performance in the film and Julianne Moore will bring your ass to tears, she's so **** good. If the Oscars meant anything anymore, Blindness would have been among the year's best, but Gwyneth Paltrow actually has a Best Actress award somewhere in her possession so there you go. I'm guessing that history will be kind to this film as more people get the benefit of seeing it, the overall experience is very rewarding and the ending makes the pain worthwhile. Expand

1. As the players enact the fall and rebirth of civilization, Meirelles suggests that even a society gone to hell looks better with a little music-video-like pizzazz.
  2. Blindness is provocative cinema. But it also is predictable cinema: It startles but does not surprise.
  3. Reviewed by: Justin Chang
    Meirelles' slickly crafted drama rarely achieves the visceral force, tragic scope and human resonance of Saramago's prose.