Blood Diamond

8.7

1. LanceD.
    Mar 31, 2007
    I was hesitant to see a Leonardo Decapitated with a South African accent movie, but the movie was a typical shoot em up, do bad, do good redemption, preachy Hollyweird movie. I do not think the movie focused enough on the full problem in Sierra Leone and the Clinton administrations lack of any response. Leo wasnt as bad as I thought he would be but the movie is still a big budget Leo vehicle.
  2. Jul 9, 2011
    I fail to see what most of the praise was about. DiCaprio played a strong character, if that means filling a frame with his beefed up looks and shouting his way through too many of his scenes. An emaciated Connelly simply was not believable, her character's naivete compounded by toting around a one-lens camera for a major journalism assignment. The theme took too long to establish, andI fail to see what most of the praise was about. DiCaprio played a strong character, if that means filling a frame with his beefed up looks and shouting his way through too many of his scenes. An emaciated Connelly simply was not believable, her character's naivete compounded by toting around a one-lens camera for a major journalism assignment. The theme took too long to establish, and at the other end dramatic retardation was too much retarded and insufficiently dramatic. But it taught us that blood diamonds are a bad thing---and that's a good thing.. Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2011
    With a great wild performance by DiCaprio and a surprisingly deep story, Edward Zwick's "Blood Diamond" is certainly one of the most discussed movie of the year.
  4. JeremiahP.
    Apr 4, 2007
    Well acted, but that is pretty much it. This is another Hollywood attempt to bring attention to horrible events that have already happened. Pointing out that blood diamonds are bad, well yeah we already know that. Now we have self righteous westerners not buy diamonds at all, leaving countries that rely solely on them as a source of income completely screwed. GOOD JOB LEO, STARVE SOME Well acted, but that is pretty much it. This is another Hollywood attempt to bring attention to horrible events that have already happened. Pointing out that blood diamonds are bad, well yeah we already know that. Now we have self righteous westerners not buy diamonds at all, leaving countries that rely solely on them as a source of income completely screwed. GOOD JOB LEO, STARVE SOME MORE AFRICAN CHILDREN!! Expand
  5. NelsonM.
    Dec 16, 2006
    What the hell was with that accent? I was laughing throughout the whole movie. I haven't seen an accent this bad since Jon Voight trying to sound Jamaican in Anaconda. When I wasn't laughing hysterically, I did enjoy this movie quite a bit. The man from Amistad impressed me with an Oscar caliber performance. C-
  6. ChristianS.
    Feb 12, 2007
    Too much clichés and too much action. The writers thought, that the topic 'Africa' is drama enough, but it was nothing than boring 08/15 action.
  7. MojoP.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This isn't a bad movie, but it tries to do too much. It goes for a strong political and emotional overtone without quite nailing it down. Often times there are holes in the plot and things don't quite seem to flow. As a documentary it would have worked brilliantly but as a feature not so much. DiCaprio however was quite excellent, really believable as a freelance mercenary. I This isn't a bad movie, but it tries to do too much. It goes for a strong political and emotional overtone without quite nailing it down. Often times there are holes in the plot and things don't quite seem to flow. As a documentary it would have worked brilliantly but as a feature not so much. DiCaprio however was quite excellent, really believable as a freelance mercenary. I recommend all to watch it just to learn about the events, but for pure entertainment you have to go in with a good bit of patience. Expand
  8. BillC.
    Dec 19, 2006
    Seemed a bit too long, and the plot line seemed too simple.Was it made to be politically provocitive, or to entertain? I felt it never engaged me on either. Bill C.
  9. roberti.
    Dec 29, 2006
    While Leonardo diCaprio inhabits his character with star-based assurance, we're led into a bloodbath that palls when it should be heightening our sympathies. At a certain point, like DiCaprio, you want to get out of Africa at any cost.
  10. Daniel
    Jan 2, 2007
    I would call "Blood Diamond" well-meaning, but as it progresses, it descends into self-importance and then finally to a level of self-satisfaction where the film is literally applauding itself. How noble the filmmakers are! To tell the story of how a white African and a Western journalist come to the aid of Africans who would have been perfectly fine had it not been for Western I would call "Blood Diamond" well-meaning, but as it progresses, it descends into self-importance and then finally to a level of self-satisfaction where the film is literally applauding itself. How noble the filmmakers are! To tell the story of how a white African and a Western journalist come to the aid of Africans who would have been perfectly fine had it not been for Western intervention in the first place. Expand
  11. DavidT.
    Apr 5, 2007
    A little Over Done...Especially towards the End of the Movie!!! Some very dead spots of the Film I thought! But...Goes to show how the majority of you Americans are Suckers for tragic, sob stories that evoke no real moral sway! Diamonds Away...
  12. ChadShiira
    Dec 11, 2006
    "Blood Diamond", to the filmmaker's credit, is self-aware of its overt pop entertainment elements. The first Sierra Leonean soldier Danny(Leonardo DiCaprio) talks to goes by the name of Rambo. And not coincidentally, the action scenes in "Blood Diamond" are indistinguishable from some innocuous violent film with a high body count. The human carnage is supposed to be sobering, but its "Blood Diamond", to the filmmaker's credit, is self-aware of its overt pop entertainment elements. The first Sierra Leonean soldier Danny(Leonardo DiCaprio) talks to goes by the name of Rambo. And not coincidentally, the action scenes in "Blood Diamond" are indistinguishable from some innocuous violent film with a high body count. The human carnage is supposed to be sobering, but its not. "Blood Diamond" isn't "The Killing Fields". There's no scene in which the dead Africans are truly mourned. We end up caring more about Danny's fate. His cohort Maddy(Jennifer Connelly) seems like a stand-in for the filmmaker(or screenwriter) when she says what Danny is thinking; that she's "exploiting their grief." Her former beau described her as an "action junkie"(a possible reference to the film's target audience, or the screenwriter's sensibility), but that "[she] give[s] a sh*t"(a possible reference to the writer's social consciousness, but concessions are necessary in order to get the film green-lighted). "Hotel Rwanda" was a mainstream film, but the spectacle never got in the way of its message. Expand
  13. Giterdone
    Dec 13, 2006
    Good idea for a plot, great acting by DiCaprio (as always), but poor execution, editing, and direction. Syzygy is dead on with his comment about the musical score which was absurd at points. And to Saul R, I find it interesting that someone who is obviously Jewish fabricates such a falsity - at no point in this film was there even a whiff of anti-semitism, get over yourself.
  14. SaulR.
    Dec 9, 2006
    A powerful and gripping film about an important subject with excellent performances from both its stars which unfortunately and needlessly veers into anti-semitism in its depiction of Jewish diamond merchants. Leo DiCaprio gives a terrific performance (as always), and Jennifer Connelly's turn will surely be remembered come Oscar time.
  15. JudyT.
    Mar 28, 2007
    Good movie for Leo, bad for Djimon. Too bad they can't figure out that he can do more than scream. This could have been a good movie if his character had been developed more.

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Not that Diamond skimps on the social commentary; far from it. But it makes its points without too much breast-beating, caching its polemic within a tough-minded entertainment.
  2. To the unlikely role of a Bogart-esque reluctant hero, Leonardo DiCaprio brings an intensity that compels even when the script falters.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Africa's enduring sorrow is ripe for drama, but Blood Diamond is, finally, a fitting metaphor for the gems: Potentially brilliant from a distance, but upon closer inspection, one likely will see the flaws.