8.4

1. Feb 16, 2011
    f only by simply choosing not to buy diamonds until the big corporations start showing some accountability. A lesson I think even the current government needs a reminder of.â
  2. Mar 18, 2011
    Great, atmospheric and moving story, great cast, extremely well made with an important message to deliver which is not sullied by the strong ending. Watch this film if you get the chance.
  3. Aug 18, 2011
    This is impressive movie from a talented director but there are som features always irritates me when it comes to hollywood films: no abililty to catch real mental processes of real people but just cliche after another. I don ´t mean cliche doesn ´t depict reality -it usually does. And that s why it is easy to use in charachters because everyone in this reality will get in touch with a cliche. Also there are clearly conscious choices not to make those paper thin cliches nothing more than paper thin -for example when it comes to that journalist Maddy Bowen. Ok I don t complain more because some characters were truly impressive and well acted, especially many in supporting roles. As a whole this film was rather well constructed, very realistic story with haunting pictures from the paradise turned in hell. Maybe story goes over the top with its moralism, which is another irritating thing about these hollywood blockbusters and to my mind is a sign of underrating the audience full of grown up people. But even those severe errors can ´t make this film bad :) Expand
  4. Dec 16, 2013
    Without spoiling anything, the ending is very Hollywood. The rest of the movie is complex and based highly on real life events. This got panned by movie critics because of race politics. Comments like "Leonardo DiCaprio mows down black people" don't take into account that practically every fighter in Sierra Leone was an untrained adolescent and would not stand up to a seasoned mercenary.

This is one of the most accurate depictions of tactical combat in Cinema, and every detail seemed to be finely thought out. Great movie, but it had Hollywood elements that made it just an action movie, and the event research didn't seem to go below the surface.
  5. Jul 4, 2012
    I hated on Leo for a long time, until I saw this movie. Now I am a fan and this film shows his budding flexibility as an actor. The story is basic in my opinion but snakes with tangents that make the story somewhat unpredictable-which is key for a movie like this to keep my interest. Not sure it is raised the awareness of the "blood Diamond" industry in Africa as it should/could have but the film looked wonderful. A classic for heart wrenching and action, combined with a great cast. Add it to your collection. Expand
  6. Aug 13, 2012
    Blood Diamond is an action packed movie, and clearly shows the disastrous events that took place in Sierra Leone, it's highly informative. It really made clear how horrific it was- I personally don't think it was exaggerated at all. However, you also see it on more of a lighthearted side, mainly from the changes of emotion in each individual character- more from Leonardo Dicaprio (as his character at first appears negative, with a bad attitude!) yet as we progress through the film we see as an audience how his feelings and actions change. I also enjoyed that aside from the horrific events that occurred, it shows us a love story developing between the two actors Jennifer Connelly and Leonardo Dicaprio. Which is, performed beautifully. If I'm honest, I'm glad their love story ended the way it did, because it's completely different from others, which makes this film stand out greatly. In my opinion, I don't see how at all this film can be faulted. Djimon Hounsou performed fantastically, he really portrayed the true emotions of how someone of his culture would feel, yet he was so strong in the end, he persevered to reach his goal and happiness came too him. As for Jennifer Connelly, a beautiful woman she is, again performed of a high standard. She too shows emotion and feeling, especially her chemistry with Leo. Save the best till last, yet again Leonardo Dicaprio's acting was truly phenomenal ( as always ), he portrayed his character perfectly, and I think he was correctly chosen to act the part. He again shown emotion, and I could tell he really could feel the characters feelings. As for the accent, again, wonderful!
    But yes, overall this film cannot be faulted, in any way. I love this film, it is honestly a favourite I would watch over and over again. I recommend this film if you're interested in riding a 2 hour or so rollercoaster of action, emotion and surprise.
  7. Nov 28, 2012
    Here, Edward Zwick creates a very captivating film by delving into an incredibly provocative period in Africa. Djimon Honsou gives probably his best performance since "Gladiator" and Leonardo DiCaprio gives yet another fabulous act as well. The movie posesses as much action and thrills as it has pathos and feeling. Truly, just a heartwarming film.
  8. Dec 7, 2013
    Blood Diamond is as important as any of the films we've seen over the years about the Holocaust. It shares with them the vital message: "We must not let this happen again."
  9. May 6, 2013
    Violent, strong and beautifully filmed, this film tells a harsh contemporary reality, the strong storyline and well written account of a hitória shocking, and it comes at the expense of fine performances of L.DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou, and good action scenes, and end touching.
  10. Aug 30, 2013
    A masterpiece!!!! Years I waited to see a good movie like Blood Diamond. Leonardo DiCaprio was perfect and stunning as always. Jeniffer Connely played a very interesting role and Djimon Hounsou was a surprise for me. A very good movie that tells us something about the cruelty of men. DON'T MISS IT!!!

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Not that Diamond skimps on the social commentary; far from it. But it makes its points without too much breast-beating, caching its polemic within a tough-minded entertainment.
  2. To the unlikely role of a Bogart-esque reluctant hero, Leonardo DiCaprio brings an intensity that compels even when the script falters.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Africa's enduring sorrow is ripe for drama, but Blood Diamond is, finally, a fitting metaphor for the gems: Potentially brilliant from a distance, but upon closer inspection, one likely will see the flaws.