Warner Bros. Pictures | Release Date: December 8, 2006
8.7
Universal acclaim based on 545 Ratings
WATCH NOW
SEROJAug 26, 2016
What the hell is wrong with the "professional critics"? This movie is stunning - from the beginning till the end! Brilliant acting and intense plot with great action! The Blood Diamond will show you things that you probably never knew thatWhat the hell is wrong with the "professional critics"? This movie is stunning - from the beginning till the end! Brilliant acting and intense plot with great action! The Blood Diamond will show you things that you probably never knew that happened! An absolute masterpiece Expand
abi_abhiabiJul 28, 2016
wow i'm just spell bound after watching this movie.. this movie is long but you will never feel that it is long.. it has so much intense in what it shows.. the actions scenes are entertaining and also the movie tells something which we arewow i'm just spell bound after watching this movie.. this movie is long but you will never feel that it is long.. it has so much intense in what it shows.. the actions scenes are entertaining and also the movie tells something which we are not aware of.. and leonardo is just amazing.. Djimon Hounsou is just great.. this is movie is something which everyone have to watch.. thumbs up! Expand
TheMovieSceneJun 18, 2016
During the civil war in Sierra Leone, fisherman Solomon (Hounsou) is forced to pan for diamonds. He finds a large one, but it soon draws the attention of mercenary Danny Archer (DiCaprio) among others.

Violence is an overused word.

Violence is an overused word. Primarily we associate it with fantasy, either in the gory netherworlds of the Hostel or Saw movies or the escapist universe of Bond and Bourne, where tension and excitement overshadow the realities of torture, mutilation and death. Violence, for the most part, is about the human capacity to hurt others; and about the way it destroys lives, communities and countries.

So when you hear that Blood Diamond is a very violent movie, don’t take it lightly. This isn’t simply about gunfights and car chases (although both are present and very much correct); Edward Zwick’s film launches with scenes that startle with their savagery, rivalling even Saving Private Ryan’s opening salvo for squirm value. As Sierra Leone’s anti-government warriors spread across the country, villages are razed, women raped and their children shot or abducted. To ensure voter apathy at the upcoming elections, hands are severed with axes and machetes.

It’s against this hellish backdrop that we first meet Solomon (Djimon Hounsou), a family man whose dreams of medical school for his son Dia (Caruso Kuypers) are dashed by the guerrilla insurgency. While Solomon is spared to pan for diamonds at gunpoint, Dia is taken, brainwashed, given a new identity and a gun. This, we soon learn, is what Sierra Leone is up against: beer-swilling bandits who bankroll their fight with smuggled diamonds and spend their gains on, disturbingly, US gangsta rap.

Solomon’s camp is raided and the inhabitants jailed, which is where Leonardo DiCaprio’s Danny Archer comes in; a sharp-witted player whose eyes widen as he learns of Solomon’s million-dollar find. Though there are similarities with the protean trickster of Catch Me If You Can, this is a Leo we’ve never seen before. Amoral and selfish but self-aware, DiCaprio expands on the reservoirs of darkness that Scorsese found in him. In the film’s final straits, when the diamond becomes his Shangri-La, his power and conviction are something to see.

But Blood Diamond falls maddeningly short of greatness in its final hour, partly because of an abundance of subplots. Alongside Solomon and Archer, Zwick introduces journalist Maddy Bowen (Jennifer Connelly), a hard-nosed war reporter just in from Afghanistan, who looks to Archer to help her find the white-collar criminals in the diamond trade. Though her acting is faultless, Connelly’s presence leads to a romance that, however understated, simply stores up trouble for later, requiring redemption and emotional closure on an already overheated climax. On top of that, add an unnecessary political framing device, and what begins as a tough, risk-taking thriller winds down to become a familiar Hollywood triumph-over-adversity story. It’s a heartbreaker. After feeling so much danger, it’s a shame to leave the cinema on a note so safe.

Great performances, provocative ideas and gripping action scenes fall prey to Hollywood logic and pat storytelling in the final hour.
MovieGuysJan 31, 2016
Blood Diamond is a gem of a movie. Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou give excellent performances, but the story is somewhat neglected in some aspects, taken as violence and car chases instead.
TrackerDeviceNov 2, 2015
Blood Diamond is an excellent movie with a very good plot, superb acting, and extremely intense. Despite critics not giving Blood Diamond the credit it deserves, this movie will surely entertain a lot of movie fans.
dkg822Aug 5, 2015
‘Blood Diamond’ is in equal measures thrilling, captivating, well acted and frustrating. The biggest positive of the movie is that in its runtime of 2hr 23min, there is hardly any moment of boredom and I was constantly hooked onto its premise‘Blood Diamond’ is in equal measures thrilling, captivating, well acted and frustrating. The biggest positive of the movie is that in its runtime of 2hr 23min, there is hardly any moment of boredom and I was constantly hooked onto its premise which makes the movie very effective. Moreover, the basic premise of diamond trading is intriguing enough to hook us in as viewers. However, what is frustrating is that movie hardly builds upon its interesting premise and rather takes a very predictable route in telling its story. Some aspects of the story telling are very predictable and the movie took a reasonable time in actually developing its characters. Till about halfway into the movie, I hardly cared about any of the characters and felt that the ‘action’ side of the story took over the emotional quotient significantly. However, the last hour or so picks up considerably in terms of its emotional quotient and I started caring significantly more about the fate of each character. The movie, however, still remained quite predictable. These drawbacks of predictability and low emotional connection with each character are fortunately bettered by some brilliant acting, cinematography and fast paced story telling. The cinematography of Sierra Leone is amusing and quite stunning which juxtaposes well with the violence depicted in these areas and worked very well for me. The engaging story telling, as I mentioned, was the movies biggest positive as it helps even keep a predictable story telling engaging. Lastly, the acting by the central actors was particularly terrific. ‘Connelly’ brings emotional heft to her character and her chemistry with ‘DiCaprio’ was refreshing and heartfelt. ‘Kuypers’ and ‘Hounsou’ as the son-father are equally impressive. Particularly, Hounsou displays heartbreak and angst very well and makes you really empathize with his character. I, do feel, however, that he lacked a true chemistry with ‘DiCaprio’. Unsurprisingly, ‘DiCaprio’ steals the show from the lot with a strikingly amusing accent and brilliant display as the smuggler ‘Danny Archer’. He is particularly amazing in emotional scenes with ‘Connelly’ and towards the end of the movie invokes moments of genuine sympathy for his character.
Overall, ‘Blood Diamond’ is a good thriller with good pacing, great acting and amazing cinematography. The movie also has an interesting premise and could have been truly amazing, however, falls considerably short of bringing emotional complexity and unpredictability to its plot.
SpangleJun 14, 2014
I am surprised to not see this one get more praise from the critics. Yes, Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic and Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly also turned in great performances, but this film was great beyond that. The depiction of theI am surprised to not see this one get more praise from the critics. Yes, Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic and Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly also turned in great performances, but this film was great beyond that. The depiction of the horrors inflicted on the people of Sierra Leone (and, really, Africans everywhere) through civil wars and the harvesting of diamonds is brutal to watch, but very well done all the same. In addition, the brutality of the diamond companies is not forgotten either as they are shown to be just as evil as those actually doing the killings in these countries. However, what this one does really well is that even as a social issue film, it never feels preachy. It tells you its points, but it does so in a way that is obnoxious or annoying, which can be an issue with films of this type. Ultimately, this one deserves the praise it gets from regular old viewers, but the critics were a tad too harsh here for my taste. Yes, it is imperfect at times and the violence can be a bit much and numbing, but the story is necessary, moving, and very well put together, even if some issues are indeed present. Expand
sinadoomDec 30, 2013
Another one of DiCaprio's greatest movies to be featured in. Definitely a classic. Intense, gripping and generally just awesome. Highly recommend!
BeatHourDec 16, 2013
Without spoiling anything, the ending is very Hollywood. The rest of the movie is complex and based highly on real life events. This got panned by movie critics because of race politics. Comments like "Leonardo DiCaprio mows down blackWithout spoiling anything, the ending is very Hollywood. The rest of the movie is complex and based highly on real life events. This got panned by movie critics because of race politics. Comments like "Leonardo DiCaprio mows down black people" don't take into account that practically every fighter in Sierra Leone was an untrained adolescent and would not stand up to a seasoned mercenary.

This is one of the most accurate depictions of tactical combat in Cinema, and every detail seemed to be finely thought out. Great movie, but it had Hollywood elements that made it just an action movie, and the event research didn't seem to go below the surface.
ThegodfathersonDec 7, 2013
Blood Diamond is as important as any of the films we've seen over the years about the Holocaust. It shares with them the vital message: "We must not let this happen again."
JordanKingAug 30, 2013
A masterpiece!!!! Years I waited to see a good movie like Blood Diamond. Leonardo DiCaprio was perfect and stunning as always. Jeniffer Connely played a very interesting role and Djimon Hounsou was a surprise for me. A very good movie thatA masterpiece!!!! Years I waited to see a good movie like Blood Diamond. Leonardo DiCaprio was perfect and stunning as always. Jeniffer Connely played a very interesting role and Djimon Hounsou was a surprise for me. A very good movie that tells us something about the cruelty of men. DON'T MISS IT!!! Expand
ScorpionMay 6, 2013
Violent, strong and beautifully filmed, this film tells a harsh contemporary reality, the strong storyline and well written account of a hitória shocking, and it comes at the expense of fine performances of L.DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou, andViolent, strong and beautifully filmed, this film tells a harsh contemporary reality, the strong storyline and well written account of a hitória shocking, and it comes at the expense of fine performances of L.DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou, and good action scenes, and end touching. Expand
LaGuertaMar 17, 2013
Blood Diamond's quality stems from its unapologetically brutal portrayal of its subject matter. However, in places, it panders to the audience by injecting typical Hollywood themes (you'll know them when you are smacked in the face with them)Blood Diamond's quality stems from its unapologetically brutal portrayal of its subject matter. However, in places, it panders to the audience by injecting typical Hollywood themes (you'll know them when you are smacked in the face with them) which serves to cheapen the story and characters. Expand
SwatiFeb 9, 2013
While the acting and drama was very convincing, there were moments when I felt my suspension of disbelief to be lifting. That's always a risk when the subject matter is serious and deals with a real life situation. The director tries to bringWhile the acting and drama was very convincing, there were moments when I felt my suspension of disbelief to be lifting. That's always a risk when the subject matter is serious and deals with a real life situation. The director tries to bring added conflict, suspense, tension and drama when really the formula 'less is more' would have worked better. DiCaprio, however, deserved the Oscar. The Academy makes a fool out of itself for passing over this guy over and over. Expand
RikiegeJan 24, 2013
A good movie, entertaining, educated and professional.
cgravesDec 6, 2012
Upon watching this movie I am first filled a variety of emotions. Putting it lightly, the movie certainly presents some significant problems facing those who live in Sierra Leonne. When I step back though and consider my emotions I am leftUpon watching this movie I am first filled a variety of emotions. Putting it lightly, the movie certainly presents some significant problems facing those who live in Sierra Leonne. When I step back though and consider my emotions I am left wondering what to do with them. Sure I am filled with some rage and compassion for those who are affected by this "blood diamond" business but if I fail to do anything with my emotions, if I fail to act, did the movie serve any purpose? Ultimately the movie does an excellent job of articulating a problem but fails to answer with a solution.

Personally I am a Christian and when I take a minute to ponder the horrific nature with which diamonds are found and distributed I question their need. As a Christian I walk away and begin to think of the responsibility I have to be aware of people suffering around the world and not only must I be aware but I must seek justice for people embattled in a place like Sierra Leonne. So what should the response be towards this movie? Well, I personally know a woman who made sure her husband bought her an engagement ring that did not cost someones life. I too should push towards a similar response. Too often Christians are seen as legalistic or too removed from the culture. I am here to say, Christians must stay in tune and care about social ills while holding fast to our belief in Christ.
Compi24Nov 28, 2012
Here, Edward Zwick creates a very captivating film by delving into an incredibly provocative period in Africa. Djimon Honsou gives probably his best performance since "Gladiator" and Leonardo DiCaprio gives yet another fabulous act as well.Here, Edward Zwick creates a very captivating film by delving into an incredibly provocative period in Africa. Djimon Honsou gives probably his best performance since "Gladiator" and Leonardo DiCaprio gives yet another fabulous act as well. The movie posesses as much action and thrills as it has pathos and feeling. Truly, just a heartwarming film. Expand
louisemariexoAug 13, 2012
Blood Diamond is an action packed movie, and clearly shows the disastrous events that took place in Sierra Leone, it's highly informative. It really made clear how horrific it was- I personally don't think it was exaggerated at all. However,Blood Diamond is an action packed movie, and clearly shows the disastrous events that took place in Sierra Leone, it's highly informative. It really made clear how horrific it was- I personally don't think it was exaggerated at all. However, you also see it on more of a lighthearted side, mainly from the changes of emotion in each individual character- more from Leonardo Dicaprio (as his character at first appears negative, with a bad attitude!) yet as we progress through the film we see as an audience how his feelings and actions change. I also enjoyed that aside from the horrific events that occurred, it shows us a love story developing between the two actors Jennifer Connelly and Leonardo Dicaprio. Which is, performed beautifully. If I'm honest, I'm glad their love story ended the way it did, because it's completely different from others, which makes this film stand out greatly. In my opinion, I don't see how at all this film can be faulted. Djimon Hounsou performed fantastically, he really portrayed the true emotions of how someone of his culture would feel, yet he was so strong in the end, he persevered to reach his goal and happiness came too him. As for Jennifer Connelly, a beautiful woman she is, again performed of a high standard. She too shows emotion and feeling, especially her chemistry with Leo. Save the best till last, yet again Leonardo Dicaprio's acting was truly phenomenal ( as always ), he portrayed his character perfectly, and I think he was correctly chosen to act the part. He again shown emotion, and I could tell he really could feel the characters feelings. As for the accent, again, wonderful!
But yes, overall this film cannot be faulted, in any way. I love this film, it is honestly a favourite I would watch over and over again. I recommend this film if you're interested in riding a 2 hour or so rollercoaster of action, emotion and surprise.
geedupJul 4, 2012
I hated on Leo for a long time, until I saw this movie. Now I am a fan and this film shows his budding flexibility as an actor. The story is basic in my opinion but snakes with tangents that make the story somewhat unpredictable-which is keyI hated on Leo for a long time, until I saw this movie. Now I am a fan and this film shows his budding flexibility as an actor. The story is basic in my opinion but snakes with tangents that make the story somewhat unpredictable-which is key for a movie like this to keep my interest. Not sure it is raised the awareness of the "blood Diamond" industry in Africa as it should/could have but the film looked wonderful. A classic for heart wrenching and action, combined with a great cast. Add it to your collection. Expand
Potter17Nov 1, 2011
Wonderful and gripping performances and an realistic scenario of Africa helps Blood Diamond to go deeper into its amazing and not so original-story.
grandpajoe6191Sep 19, 2011
With a great wild performance by DiCaprio and a surprisingly deep story, Edward Zwick's "Blood Diamond" is certainly one of the most discussed movie of the year.
Ian_EdmondsAug 28, 2011
This movie is a very good, very beutiful acting, loved the movie, F**CK YOU AVAtar HATER aka GERRY MARSHALL YOU ****
layolaAug 18, 2011
This is impressive movie from a talented director but there are som features always irritates me when it comes to hollywood films: no abililty to catch real mental processes of real people but just cliche after another. I don ´tThis is impressive movie from a talented director but there are som features always irritates me when it comes to hollywood films: no abililty to catch real mental processes of real people but just cliche after another. I don ´t mean cliche doesn ´t depict reality -it usually does. And that s why it is easy to use in charachters because everyone in this reality will get in touch with a cliche. Also there are clearly conscious choices not to make those paper thin cliches nothing more than paper thin -for example when it comes to that journalist Maddy Bowen. Ok I don t complain more because some characters were truly impressive and well acted, especially many in supporting roles. As a whole this film was rather well constructed, very realistic story with haunting pictures from the paradise turned in hell. Maybe story goes over the top with its moralism, which is another irritating thing about these hollywood blockbusters and to my mind is a sign of underrating the audience full of grown up people. But even those severe errors can ´t make this film bad :) Expand
Gamer13Mar 18, 2011
Great, atmospheric and moving story, great cast, extremely well made with an important message to deliver which is not sullied by the strong ending. Watch this film if you get the chance.
vibor123Feb 16, 2011
f only by simply choosing not to buy diamonds until the big corporations start showing some accountability. A lesson I think even the current government needs a reminder of.â
DS.Jan 3, 2009
Good performances by DiCaprio and Hounsou. A little long in length, but well directed. Good movie!
MindyA.Dec 21, 2008
Leonardo DiCaprio is great in this movie. He is such a versatile actor.
GregA.Dec 18, 2008
A 4 star film by any account. Gripping and fast paced. Di Caprio is a legend.
JackS.Dec 17, 2008
Good action movie. DiCaprio did well in it, I thought. I think this was probably better then his other movie "The Departed." Both good movies. This one was a little more intresting then "The Departed." In this movie, the sights it takes youGood action movie. DiCaprio did well in it, I thought. I think this was probably better then his other movie "The Departed." Both good movies. This one was a little more intresting then "The Departed." In this movie, the sights it takes you in a rebellion in Sierra Leone. The rebellion was a great plot, getting all of those diamonds, stopping the war that tore a country apart because of diamonds. It makes you realize that the people in this world are starting wars for recources and money. Movie was great. Expand
DickVagNov 11, 2008
lol this movie is funnay!!!! This movie is a disney version of what really happens in africa, all you rich fux buying conflict diamonds for you whore of a wife, while you and your children sleep safely, these people deal with malaria,lol this movie is funnay!!!! This movie is a disney version of what really happens in africa, all you rich fux buying conflict diamonds for you whore of a wife, while you and your children sleep safely, these people deal with malaria, robbery, theft, rape and murder. Some where in south africa, about every 12 seconds there are girls under the age of 10 that are raped. Expand
0 of 1 users found this helpful
JackB.Apr 1, 2008
I had this DVD unopened on my shelf for months, i just watched it and WOW, i was gripped. Ive been impressed by very few films recently but Blood Diamond was superb. Perhaps a dodgy accent by De Caprio but he's really matured into a I had this DVD unopened on my shelf for months, i just watched it and WOW, i was gripped. Ive been impressed by very few films recently but Blood Diamond was superb. Perhaps a dodgy accent by De Caprio but he's really matured into a fantastic actor. Great supporting cast too. The storyline is excellent, the scenery breathtaking and nothing is overdone. Certainly deserves the plaudits it received and i would recommend it to any one out there like myself with a passion for film. The film itself has made me more aware of the problems in Africa, something i will certainly be looking into more in the near future. Expand
NinaA.Mar 25, 2008
Loved it. Leo was totally gripping..
LeiZ.Mar 19, 2008
Possibly one of the greatest movies of 06. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, and it really makes you think about what you watch - not a norm in most action films. The civil war in Africa - all real. Conflict diamonds - that's real Possibly one of the greatest movies of 06. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, and it really makes you think about what you watch - not a norm in most action films. The civil war in Africa - all real. Conflict diamonds - that's real too. And what's worse, the brainwashing of children to become soldiers, absolutely real. I must say, Leonardo's role as a South African was so convincing I almost forgot he was American. Expand
MadhavS.Feb 10, 2008
brilliant .... realistic in every detail possible ... acting has been perfect ... music is good ... screenplay is good ... above all the theme truly stays in eveyone's heart ... hats off to edward ... he's done an amazing job ...
DonP.Jan 25, 2008
great film.it throws light upon the plight of africans .it says all about the worsening situation in africa.indeed the diamonds available in the markets are 'blood diamonds'.
SusanM.Dec 24, 2007
Very entertaining movie. I don't usually care for Di Caprio, but, for the first time, I found him sexy and compelling. I find Jennifer Connelly rather cold and distant, but that worked for her in her role as a journalist. The movie just Very entertaining movie. I don't usually care for Di Caprio, but, for the first time, I found him sexy and compelling. I find Jennifer Connelly rather cold and distant, but that worked for her in her role as a journalist. The movie just scratched the surface of the huge number of problems in the diamond mines of Africa, but it was a surface that isn't often scratched. Even if you don't care about the politics, the action was good. And if you don't care for action, there was enough plot to keep you involved. Expand
DrewK.Oct 28, 2007
It is a dramaticly powerful movie.
CrystalB.Sep 7, 2007
I LOVE this movie it was THE BEST i love you Leonardo Dicaprio *kisses*.
JakeT.Aug 22, 2007
This was an amazing movie with great cinematography. acting is amazing with action that is not over done and most importantly exposes the biggest atrocities of the diamond industries of Africa.
FrancescaPapasAug 22, 2007
FANTASTIC MOVIE!!
RebekahM.Aug 12, 2007
Exactly the sort of movie to keep you entertain yet reveal the disgusting truth about what happens in poorer countries without the richer countries noticing.
BenjaminB.Jul 22, 2007
I like it when a movie makes you think different after you saw it and that's actually the case here. After you saw kids shooting innocent people, all the troubles in your life will look a little bit smaller. next to this effect it is I like it when a movie makes you think different after you saw it and that's actually the case here. After you saw kids shooting innocent people, all the troubles in your life will look a little bit smaller. next to this effect it is also a quite good movie with a deep impact. only some characters are - in my opinion - too "flat". watch it. Expand
JonBoyJul 16, 2007
I'm always apprehensive of finding out about any factual political situation from a film, Hollywood has warped history once too often. This doesn't stop Blood Diamond being a cracking yarn though, visceral action and drama, combine I'm always apprehensive of finding out about any factual political situation from a film, Hollywood has warped history once too often. This doesn't stop Blood Diamond being a cracking yarn though, visceral action and drama, combine with slightly heavy handed sermonizing to deliver a highly entertaining, yet emotionally stirring and thought provoking bit of cinema. The love story angle is a trifle forced, but I think the intent is more to convey the emotional attachment between men and wealth, men and their country, their people and their families. Great performances by Di Caprio and Hounsou. Expand
FloraL.Jul 8, 2007
Startling movie with very deep impact!!
[Anonymous]Jun 9, 2007
An impressive action thriller that brings out visceral action, engaging social commentary, and great performances. I recommend it highly, and it'll get woman to look at their jewelry in a different way.
AMovieCriticMay 27, 2007
A good old adventure movie with a strong plot and interesting characters. Plus, great setting and really cool music. Really good acting, as well. A pretty eye-opening movie. Runs a little long and can be a bit preachy at times but it's A good old adventure movie with a strong plot and interesting characters. Plus, great setting and really cool music. Really good acting, as well. A pretty eye-opening movie. Runs a little long and can be a bit preachy at times but it's a really well-filmed and very fun movie with some amazing action scenes. Recommended. Expand
SusieL.May 21, 2007
A beautiful, breath-taking movie, exposng the world to the true horrors.
LenR.May 5, 2007
DiCaprio is great, the movie is over preachy.
SteveApr 21, 2007
A wild ride from start to finish. A moving story that is enhanced by the incredible performance by DiCaprio. Talk about intensity..this guy has it, and its all over the silver screen. An eye-opening film about the problems in Africa without A wild ride from start to finish. A moving story that is enhanced by the incredible performance by DiCaprio. Talk about intensity..this guy has it, and its all over the silver screen. An eye-opening film about the problems in Africa without becoming preachy about the morality of it all. Expand
KevinL.Apr 13, 2007
The second best film DiCaprio has done since his Titanic days. He has really evolved as an actor. Meanwhile Jennifer Connelly turns up another steaming hot performance and Djimon Hounsou was outstanding in his role. An overall great The second best film DiCaprio has done since his Titanic days. He has really evolved as an actor. Meanwhile Jennifer Connelly turns up another steaming hot performance and Djimon Hounsou was outstanding in his role. An overall great underrated film and was a gripping thriller that touched not only me but everyone I know in the movie theaters. Expand
MartinS.Apr 8, 2007
Slightly contrived but the performances pull you into this movie. Di Caprio really has become an amazing actor.
TomH.Apr 7, 2007
Very powerful movie. Having been in Liberia and Sierra Leone, it is very accurate.
CJApr 6, 2007
Despite Di Caprio's dodgy attempt at a Zimbabwean accent, I enjoyed this film. Highly emotional and bound to stir some feelings deep inside even the most unyielding of us, Blood Diamond set about its task of portraying the lives of Despite Di Caprio's dodgy attempt at a Zimbabwean accent, I enjoyed this film. Highly emotional and bound to stir some feelings deep inside even the most unyielding of us, Blood Diamond set about its task of portraying the lives of Africans caught up in rebel warfare very well. Although it wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen, I felt that it had done enough to secure a place among the best of them. Expand
mariadesantiagoApr 2, 2007
i really like this movie! Yes, it was sad but i really really loved it so much i could see this movie over and over millions of time... My husben to be also like it he thought it wasn't going to be a good movie..but, at the end he alsoi really like this movie! Yes, it was sad but i really really loved it so much i could see this movie over and over millions of time... My husben to be also like it he thought it wasn't going to be a good movie..but, at the end he also loved this movie but that he would wach it over and over mybe 3 times but to as many as me!!!! I LOVED IT................... Expand
ZinnyS.Mar 30, 2007
Also Di Caprio's accent was rather patchy. True enough, from time to time he sound like a yank then it change back to south african. Touching story, it seem even in the land of millions of african the story follow only two white people.
JabezT.Mar 23, 2007
This is a generally entertaining movie, and the reason I gave it a 9 is DiCaprio. I generally dislike him and feel that he has been woefully miscast in films like "The Gangs of New York" and "The Aviator". This performance is by far the best This is a generally entertaining movie, and the reason I gave it a 9 is DiCaprio. I generally dislike him and feel that he has been woefully miscast in films like "The Gangs of New York" and "The Aviator". This performance is by far the best of his career, towering above his pathetic effort in "The Departed". He is dragged down a bit by the dopey role Jennifer Connelly plays, but he is totally believable in this role. At its heart, this film focuses on human stories, and this apparently disappoints those that expected a political film. The mostly incomprehensible politics whirl around the characters in a way that is more realistic than a preachy documentary approach would have been. Sappy in parts, predictable in others, but a stunning Leo and a beautiful and numbingly violent African background help make this movie worthwhile. See it. Expand
DanB.Mar 22, 2007
Would've gotten a nine or ten but for Archer's last scene, which was just too cheesy, too much, even for a Hollywood movie. Other than that though, it's kind of old fashioned but really well done so who cares. And Leonardo Would've gotten a nine or ten but for Archer's last scene, which was just too cheesy, too much, even for a Hollywood movie. Other than that though, it's kind of old fashioned but really well done so who cares. And Leonardo DiCaprio is, like, getting to a point where he is good in every single movie. Expand
EduardoSotoMar 4, 2007
It´s excellent! Briliant Characters, and Di Caprio is Superb in his performance as Danny Archer. Also the movie gives you a point of view of Africa and its terrible situation.
ErinT.Feb 26, 2007
This film I felt was a bit of an eye opener to what goes on in the rest of the world. It was very touching, scary, grusome, etc i could say so much about this film.
NalinR.Feb 25, 2007
I'm so shocked after watching this movie that I'm going to deny all Diamond purchases from now on.. outstanding movie, gr8 message.. and its surprising to see fer critics giving this movie 28 out of 100 ... I hope they could learn I'm so shocked after watching this movie that I'm going to deny all Diamond purchases from now on.. outstanding movie, gr8 message.. and its surprising to see fer critics giving this movie 28 out of 100 ... I hope they could learn how to apppreciate a good movie. Expand
PaulFeb 17, 2007
Definitely better than the metacritic score indicates. Very moving in some parts. My girlfriend apparently cried 3 times throughout the movie. Warning, though: a lot of innocent people die in this movie. It's frightening, but neccessary Definitely better than the metacritic score indicates. Very moving in some parts. My girlfriend apparently cried 3 times throughout the movie. Warning, though: a lot of innocent people die in this movie. It's frightening, but neccessary for the film. Anyways, DiCaprio is amazing in this one, the action's great, its just an all-around great film. One bad part, though, was the ending. I won't say what happened but it was kinda cheesy. Expand
JanetM.Feb 13, 2007
I did not like Jennifer Connolly's performance. Beautiful face, no expression, no passion.
CamH.Feb 12, 2007
Ripper of a movie. Actually has a real meaning, very moving.
AaronM.Feb 9, 2007
Blood Diamond is a surprisingly intense and informative movie that the general public needs to see. Yet, the box office viewing is evidence of what America does to Africa on a general level (turning a blind eye) that it's no surprise it Blood Diamond is a surprisingly intense and informative movie that the general public needs to see. Yet, the box office viewing is evidence of what America does to Africa on a general level (turning a blind eye) that it's no surprise it never earned a #1 spot. Still, I believe it to be one of the best movies I've seen this year. Leonardo DiCaprio, similar to his performance in The Departed, is believable, strong, and convincing. The story is strong; the cinematography is excellent; and overall, Blood Diamond does everything I want a movie to do (to educate, captivate, and be enjoyable). Expand
3 of 3 users found this helpful
TonyT.Feb 7, 2007
Terrific movie. Loved the performances of the 3 main characters.
JoC.Feb 5, 2007
Only after a couple of my friends told me I had to go see this movie, I started to believe it. And yes, it has pleasantly suprised me. DiCaprio suprised me with very 'put down' character. But what opened my eyes more, was the moral Only after a couple of my friends told me I had to go see this movie, I started to believe it. And yes, it has pleasantly suprised me. DiCaprio suprised me with very 'put down' character. But what opened my eyes more, was the moral behind it.(cliché) Themes for movies start discussions like Mink was 15years ago. Diamond trade and Mink Trade are alike, the only problem is, what does one find cuter: Man or Animal? Expand
EllenS.Feb 5, 2007
Good movie: the story was thought provoking and well told and the acting outstanding. I forgot that DiCaprio was DiCaprio -- and I've never forgotten that before, not in any of his films. Lots of violence, but it seemed appropriate to Good movie: the story was thought provoking and well told and the acting outstanding. I forgot that DiCaprio was DiCaprio -- and I've never forgotten that before, not in any of his films. Lots of violence, but it seemed appropriate to the story. Worth seeing. Expand
MichelleD.Feb 5, 2007
Absolutely amazing. Powerful, moving, really made me think. Great acting too.
YolandaN.Feb 3, 2007
A very suspensful movie; gripping with graphic scenes of violence, but not for the sake of gratuity. A story that should be told - viewers come out with a new perspective on diamonds. The moral lessons - avoid 'blood diamonds'. A very suspensful movie; gripping with graphic scenes of violence, but not for the sake of gratuity. A story that should be told - viewers come out with a new perspective on diamonds. The moral lessons - avoid 'blood diamonds'. Greed is man's un-doing. Expand
NajwatR.Feb 3, 2007
DiCaprio and Hounsou's stellar performances, slick editing, beautiful cinematography, and appropriate music make this flick one of this year's very best. It's a shame that it didn't get a Best Picture Oscar nomination.
TracyC.Feb 2, 2007
Powerful, thought provoking and very painfully moving, i had little knowledge of the diamond trade before this or the devsastating lives of child soldiers. Well done to Leo and all involved
StaceyH.Jan 31, 2007
Wow!!
PeterB.Jan 30, 2007
Superb movie - well acted and exciting.
AM.Jan 28, 2007
Good movie, DiCaprio does a great job.
JoeO.Jan 28, 2007
Brilliantly illustrated, accurately placed, powerfully emotional and a total mixture of sociology, politics and commerce
ReidF.Jan 27, 2007
The performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou are outstanding, and Ed Zwick
BillyB.Jan 26, 2007
I hope this film gets some nods at the Oscars because it honestly deserves it. The performances by Leo and Djimon were truly moving and if you are still having doubts about whether this film is worth watching then let me just say .........WATCH IT!
KimC.Jan 24, 2007
Excellent movie. Leonardo DiCaprio proves once again that is and will continue to be a great actor. Djimon Hounsou deserved the Oscar nomination it just received for this role.
TomV.Jan 22, 2007
This movie is a real action packed thriller. It is full of facts and the plot always keeps you interested.
MarkB.Jan 19, 2007
Back in 1997, when Titanic was breaking all kinds of box office records and creating a few of its own, Leonardo DiCaprio suddenly started being touted in some circles as "the new Gable". That's not precisely accurate--even though Back in 1997, when Titanic was breaking all kinds of box office records and creating a few of its own, Leonardo DiCaprio suddenly started being touted in some circles as "the new Gable". That's not precisely accurate--even though Titanic was in many ways this generation's Gone With The Wind, Clark Gable's best characterizations (GWTW, San Fransisco, The Misfits) were mixtures of darkness and light while DiCaprio's Jack Dawson was nothing BUT light. Fast forward to nearly a decade later and who'd have anticipated DiCaprio as the new Bogart? Forget his British accent: Blood Diamond in some ways is Casablanca all over again, with the big honkin' precious stone that he and Djimon Hounsou form an uneasy partnership over filling in for the letters of transit. DiCaprio has grown and toughened more in a shorter period of time than any other contemporary actor that comes to mind: as recently as 2002's Gangs of New York he wore the cynicism and amorality demanded of him like an ill-fitting mask; now, with this and The Departed, it's come to fit him like a glove. Leading lady Jennifer Connelly does extremely well here too: after what seems like years of playing glum women carrying the world on their shoulders (which she excels at, as A Beautiful Mind and House of Sand and Fog clearly prove) it's a joy to see her smile, laugh and do repartee with equal skill! The movie itself is a smooth, handsomely made and entertaining action film with an ambitious social agenda: it not only wants to, like Hotel Rwanda, open Western eyes and hearts to the bloody atrocities Africans commit upon one another in Hatfield/ McCoy-like tribal skirmishes, but influence our pocketbooks by getting us NOT to buy jewelry sold by those who profit from and promulgate said conflicts. (The central--and perhaps unintended--question brought up in movies like this, which has reemerged anew with Saddam's execution, is so unanswerable it almost qualifies as a Buddhist koan; namely, if colonialist or dictatorial rule keeps the lid on decades and centuries of tribal resentments which would explode in endless bloodbaths if removed, is it possible that maybe iron-fist rule isn't ENTIRELY a bad thing?) Director Ed Zwick, who specializes in thoughtful historical epics and contemporary thrillers wrapped around such thinking-person's heartthrobs as Dicaprio, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, works slickly and seamlessly but intelligently, avoiding many of the standard mistakes (such as having DiCaprio and Hjonsou be buddies); his directorial trademark seems to be the use of one piece of explicit gore to represent an entire canvas of violence--remember the soldier's head being blown off in Glory or the theatergoer's arm doing the same in The Siege? My central difficulty with Blood Diamond lies in Hjonsou's characterization (NOT his performance, which is typically powerful). He seems to have two and only two dramatic functions: to reclaim his son from the rebel army that has kidnapped, enslaved and brainwashed the youth, turning him and other children into something not far removed from George A. Romero's zombies, and to turn DiCaprio's cynical opportunist into a better person. This is the Noble Negro syndrome, most famously exhibited by runaway slave Jim in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and cafe piano player Sam in Casablanca; both are honorable creations, but have been duplicated too many times to serve as much more than an all-too convenient and arbitrary literary device, no matter how well played...and anyway, Hjonsou is certainly a nuanced enough actor (as In America demonstrates) to warrant and deserve characters with a few more layers and complexities. This does a lot to explain why Zwick's strengths and limitations as a filmmaker parallel those of his more famously socially conscious predecessor Stanley Kramer, and why Blood Diamond, as watchable as it is, is ultimately too schematic to be anything more than a good night of movie escapism, which is precisely what I'm sure Zwick DOESN'T want it to be...and why it's not causing QVC jewelry hostesses Jane Treacy and Lisa Robertson to lose any sleep over inability to meet their sales quotas. Expand
DaveP.Jan 15, 2007
Fantastic Film. Di Caprio has, almost overnight, become a mesmerising, morphing, magnificent actor. Djimon is nothing short of wonderful, and I am always glad to see Connolly. Edward Zwick has made a film of conscience and power, and those Fantastic Film. Di Caprio has, almost overnight, become a mesmerising, morphing, magnificent actor. Djimon is nothing short of wonderful, and I am always glad to see Connolly. Edward Zwick has made a film of conscience and power, and those that accuse it of over-sentimentality have a jaded and over-cynical heart. Expand
NathanM.Jan 11, 2007
This was one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen, the story was great and well executed by the director, aside from DeCaprio's horrible accent. The movie had great action, powerful dialogue and a killer ending to say the least. This was one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen, the story was great and well executed by the director, aside from DeCaprio's horrible accent. The movie had great action, powerful dialogue and a killer ending to say the least. There was no better way to end the movie than the way the director did. Expand
LEONALEEJan 8, 2007
Rarely does media production have the ability to both educate and entertain the audience. Blood Diamond attempt to be such a movie. Indeed a beautiful and courageous attempt. Tthe story, character, filmaking skills, cast and all make it hardRarely does media production have the ability to both educate and entertain the audience. Blood Diamond attempt to be such a movie. Indeed a beautiful and courageous attempt. Tthe story, character, filmaking skills, cast and all make it hard to ignore and forget. This movie will be a shame to miss. Expand
GeorgeCaineJan 8, 2007
Like 2006
GeorgeC.Jan 5, 2007
There were so many times this movie could have gone bad, and it just didn't. I thought it was a really good film. I disagree with a ton of the "professional" critic's comments. I don't think this is a typical Hollywood There were so many times this movie could have gone bad, and it just didn't. I thought it was a really good film. I disagree with a ton of the "professional" critic's comments. I don't think this is a typical Hollywood adventure. I think the movie brings a social awareness to some of the atrocities that we in America don't give a second thought to. Expand
AaronH.Jan 4, 2007
I really loved this movie. The acting was great, the story was compelling (and never lagged), the characters were intriguing, and it was beautiful visually. Its definitely on my list of movies I would like to own. This is top notch stuff all I really loved this movie. The acting was great, the story was compelling (and never lagged), the characters were intriguing, and it was beautiful visually. Its definitely on my list of movies I would like to own. This is top notch stuff all the way baby. Expand
RickiS.Jan 3, 2007
In spite of too many narrow escapes and two-dimensional characters -- all except the DiCaprio character are totally good or really evil-- this movie is exciting, adrenalin pumping, and entertaining. Leonardo is excellent. The story behind In spite of too many narrow escapes and two-dimensional characters -- all except the DiCaprio character are totally good or really evil-- this movie is exciting, adrenalin pumping, and entertaining. Leonardo is excellent. The story behind the story deserves to be told. Expand
lobeGreenJan 3, 2007
Amazing film. When I heard that, this film was going to be on our cinema i was thrilled.I was greatfull but when I saw the film I said: This film made for me
BenV.Jan 1, 2007
This movie was outstanding. It was an excellent story in addition to the truth. It really made me think about what was taken for granted in the rest of the world.
MoreenM.Dec 31, 2006
The Best movie of the year!!! As a Zimbabwean woman I was skeptical of seeing yet another depressing movie about Africa. However, as another Shona woman commented, I was very impressed with Leo because for the first time I was able to The Best movie of the year!!! As a Zimbabwean woman I was skeptical of seeing yet another depressing movie about Africa. However, as another Shona woman commented, I was very impressed with Leo because for the first time I was able to empathize with the Rhodies. That is great acting! Djimon also deserves an Oscar nomination for his brilliant performance! I commend the Director for using South African and Shona verbage well, hey Chyna! It was great to see some local South African actors from Isidingo, the soap, getting a chance to act with Hollywood heavyweights. I did not find the story heavy handed at all. We all need to be brought out of our comfort zones and realize how the West's luxurious lifestyle may at times have come through the rape of African's resources. As an African I also agree that our governments are also to blame but greed knows no racial boundaries. However, Africa is not all gloom and doom as there is beauty not just in the landscapes but in the cities which are just as cosmopolitan as western cities on a smaller scale. But the beauty in Africa lies in its resilient and warm people who are doctors, scientists, pyschologists, and enterprising people. I hope one day we can depict these positive stories but I am not holding my breath! But makorokoto to the cast and crew who executed a thought provoking and unflinching performance!! The best of the year. Expand
GlennZ.Dec 30, 2006
A very good movie. It was entertaining, a fast paced thriller and also showed the horrors of civil war yet another in African nation. Some very disturbing scenese. Good acting, some great scenery, great action, a tense thriller, and a good A very good movie. It was entertaining, a fast paced thriller and also showed the horrors of civil war yet another in African nation. Some very disturbing scenese. Good acting, some great scenery, great action, a tense thriller, and a good story line. Expand
JohnnyB.Dec 30, 2006
Easily the best movie of 2006, it captivates the audience and gets their attention, but never releases it until the end. Blood Daimond was meaningful and excellently acted. I can't say enough of how great this movie is, and if you Easily the best movie of 2006, it captivates the audience and gets their attention, but never releases it until the end. Blood Daimond was meaningful and excellently acted. I can't say enough of how great this movie is, and if you havent seen it yet, pay the money and see it!!!! Expand
robertDec 29, 2006
Towering above all--even the gripping sense of helplessness in a lawless zone--is dicaprio's performance... along with the departed, he has risen to the top level of actors (on one level) and great movie STARs (on another)...he is just Towering above all--even the gripping sense of helplessness in a lawless zone--is dicaprio's performance... along with the departed, he has risen to the top level of actors (on one level) and great movie STARs (on another)...he is just brilliant in the film. Expand
FrankCDec 28, 2006
It amazes me that this movie is not on more top 10 films of the year. Personally I think that Leo played an amazing role and deserves a nomination.
ArielGDec 25, 2006
This film worked on so many levels: action, thriller, drama, political piece. Very intense in several scenes, and it made you feel like you weren't just watching it, but were in it. Great acting by DiCaprio and Hounsou. Jennifer This film worked on so many levels: action, thriller, drama, political piece. Very intense in several scenes, and it made you feel like you weren't just watching it, but were in it. Great acting by DiCaprio and Hounsou. Jennifer Connelly was also great in her role and she is one of the most under-rated actresses. I also didn't detect any anti-semitism that was mentioned by another poster. While it's true that there are a lot of Jewish interests in diamond mines, particular in South Africa, this was not mentioned or implied in this movie. Please don't try to find anti-semitism where there is none. Just enjoy the film. Expand
RebeccaM.Dec 22, 2006
This movie worked beautifully as an action film, but more importantly, it got my attention politically. The images of child soldiers and violence against masses of innocent people were so jarring. Perhaps because I wasn't expecting to This movie worked beautifully as an action film, but more importantly, it got my attention politically. The images of child soldiers and violence against masses of innocent people were so jarring. Perhaps because I wasn't expecting to be so moved, I ended up weeping at the atrocities of civil war. Leonardo was spectacular, as was Djimon. Jennifer was about as emotionally poignant as a log and it ruined a key part of the story. Also, it is a titch too long. Altogether wonderfully entertaining (in a disturbing way...). Expand
ElessarDec 22, 2006
Without a doubt, this was one of the best movies I've seen so far this year (second perhaps only to The Departed). DiCaprio certainly deserves the accolades he's received for this role, and I thought his accent was quite Without a doubt, this was one of the best movies I've seen so far this year (second perhaps only to The Departed). DiCaprio certainly deserves the accolades he's received for this role, and I thought his accent was quite convincing. Djimon performed excellently as well. Only 2 things bothered me (and only slightly): when the air strike occured, I had a hard time believing ONE helicopter had THAT much firepower; and the last 10 minutes or so might have been a little too much. Aside from those, an excellent film worthy of a 9.1/10 Expand
ShonaM.Dec 21, 2006
As a Shona woman i never thought of what the white's in my country felt and Danny speaks to how his family was killed and how he ended up in the army fighting along side Blacks. This movie meant the world to me. This movie painted a As a Shona woman i never thought of what the white's in my country felt and Danny speaks to how his family was killed and how he ended up in the army fighting along side Blacks. This movie meant the world to me. This movie painted a picture of what is going on in Africa and how noone cares. It made me think and realise and cry. yes this movie is a 10 in my books. Critics might say it was a bad story telling or whatever, but atleast someoen tried to tell the story that no one dares to tell or even think about. Leo's accent wasn;t half as bad at all for a Rhodie. Two thumps up. This is a powerful story that echoes the cry of Africa. I hope someone is listening!! Expand
ChrisDec 19, 2006
Somewhat predictable, the story is well executed, thrilling, shocking, and thought evoking. While his accent waffles from time-to-time, DiCaprio's performance is spot on. Probably his best performance yet.
KristiGDec 12, 2006
Excellent film and really made me think about where my ring may have come from. How sad that African "resources" cause death to so many innocent people.