8.5

1. Jun 14, 2014
    I am surprised to not see this one get more praise from the critics. Yes, Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic and Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly also turned in great performances, but this film was great beyond that. The depiction of the horrors inflicted on the people of Sierra Leone (and, really, Africans everywhere) through civil wars and the harvesting of diamonds is brutal to watch,I am surprised to not see this one get more praise from the critics. Yes, Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic and Djimon Hounsou and Jennifer Connelly also turned in great performances, but this film was great beyond that. The depiction of the horrors inflicted on the people of Sierra Leone (and, really, Africans everywhere) through civil wars and the harvesting of diamonds is brutal to watch, but very well done all the same. In addition, the brutality of the diamond companies is not forgotten either as they are shown to be just as evil as those actually doing the killings in these countries. However, what this one does really well is that even as a social issue film, it never feels preachy. It tells you its points, but it does so in a way that is obnoxious or annoying, which can be an issue with films of this type. Ultimately, this one deserves the praise it gets from regular old viewers, but the critics were a tad too harsh here for my taste. Yes, it is imperfect at times and the violence can be a bit much and numbing, but the story is necessary, moving, and very well put together, even if some issues are indeed present. Expand
  2. Dec 30, 2013
    Another one of DiCaprio's greatest movies to be featured in. Definitely a classic. Intense, gripping and generally just awesome. Highly recommend!
  3. Dec 16, 2013
    Without spoiling anything, the ending is very Hollywood. The rest of the movie is complex and based highly on real life events. This got panned by movie critics because of race politics. Comments like "Leonardo DiCaprio mows down black people" don't take into account that practically every fighter in Sierra Leone was an untrained adolescent and would not stand up to a seasoned mercenary.Without spoiling anything, the ending is very Hollywood. The rest of the movie is complex and based highly on real life events. This got panned by movie critics because of race politics. Comments like "Leonardo DiCaprio mows down black people" don't take into account that practically every fighter in Sierra Leone was an untrained adolescent and would not stand up to a seasoned mercenary.

This is one of the most accurate depictions of tactical combat in Cinema, and every detail seemed to be finely thought out. Great movie, but it had Hollywood elements that made it just an action movie, and the event research didn't seem to go below the surface.
  4. Dec 7, 2013
    Blood Diamond is as important as any of the films we've seen over the years about the Holocaust. It shares with them the vital message: "We must not let this happen again."
  5. Aug 30, 2013
    A masterpiece!!!! Years I waited to see a good movie like Blood Diamond. Leonardo DiCaprio was perfect and stunning as always. Jeniffer Connely played a very interesting role and Djimon Hounsou was a surprise for me. A very good movie that tells us something about the cruelty of men. DON'T MISS IT!!!
  6. May 6, 2013
    Violent, strong and beautifully filmed, this film tells a harsh contemporary reality, the strong storyline and well written account of a hitória shocking, and it comes at the expense of fine performances of L.DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou, and good action scenes, and end touching.
  7. Mar 17, 2013
    Blood Diamond's quality stems from its unapologetically brutal portrayal of its subject matter. However, in places, it panders to the audience by injecting typical Hollywood themes (you'll know them when you are smacked in the face with them) which serves to cheapen the story and characters.
  8. Feb 9, 2013
    While the acting and drama was very convincing, there were moments when I felt my suspension of disbelief to be lifting. That's always a risk when the subject matter is serious and deals with a real life situation. The director tries to bring added conflict, suspense, tension and drama when really the formula 'less is more' would have worked better. DiCaprio, however, deserved the Oscar.While the acting and drama was very convincing, there were moments when I felt my suspension of disbelief to be lifting. That's always a risk when the subject matter is serious and deals with a real life situation. The director tries to bring added conflict, suspense, tension and drama when really the formula 'less is more' would have worked better. DiCaprio, however, deserved the Oscar. The Academy makes a fool out of itself for passing over this guy over and over. Expand
  9. Jan 24, 2013
    A good movie, entertaining, educated and professional.
  10. Dec 6, 2012
    Upon watching this movie I am first filled a variety of emotions. Putting it lightly, the movie certainly presents some significant problems facing those who live in Sierra Leonne. When I step back though and consider my emotions I am left wondering what to do with them. Sure I am filled with some rage and compassion for those who are affected by this "blood diamond" business but if I failUpon watching this movie I am first filled a variety of emotions. Putting it lightly, the movie certainly presents some significant problems facing those who live in Sierra Leonne. When I step back though and consider my emotions I am left wondering what to do with them. Sure I am filled with some rage and compassion for those who are affected by this "blood diamond" business but if I fail to do anything with my emotions, if I fail to act, did the movie serve any purpose? Ultimately the movie does an excellent job of articulating a problem but fails to answer with a solution.

Personally I am a Christian and when I take a minute to ponder the horrific nature with which diamonds are found and distributed I question their need. As a Christian I walk away and begin to think of the responsibility I have to be aware of people suffering around the world and not only must I be aware but I must seek justice for people embattled in a place like Sierra Leonne. So what should the response be towards this movie? Well, I personally know a woman who made sure her husband bought her an engagement ring that did not cost someones life. I too should push towards a similar response. Too often Christians are seen as legalistic or too removed from the culture. I am here to say, Christians must stay in tune and care about social ills while holding fast to our belief in Christ.
  11. Nov 28, 2012
    Here, Edward Zwick creates a very captivating film by delving into an incredibly provocative period in Africa. Djimon Honsou gives probably his best performance since "Gladiator" and Leonardo DiCaprio gives yet another fabulous act as well. The movie posesses as much action and thrills as it has pathos and feeling. Truly, just a heartwarming film.
  12. Aug 13, 2012
    Blood Diamond is an action packed movie, and clearly shows the disastrous events that took place in Sierra Leone, it's highly informative. It really made clear how horrific it was- I personally don't think it was exaggerated at all. However, you also see it on more of a lighthearted side, mainly from the changes of emotion in each individual character- more from Leonardo Dicaprio (as hisBlood Diamond is an action packed movie, and clearly shows the disastrous events that took place in Sierra Leone, it's highly informative. It really made clear how horrific it was- I personally don't think it was exaggerated at all. However, you also see it on more of a lighthearted side, mainly from the changes of emotion in each individual character- more from Leonardo Dicaprio (as his character at first appears negative, with a bad attitude!) yet as we progress through the film we see as an audience how his feelings and actions change. I also enjoyed that aside from the horrific events that occurred, it shows us a love story developing between the two actors Jennifer Connelly and Leonardo Dicaprio. Which is, performed beautifully. If I'm honest, I'm glad their love story ended the way it did, because it's completely different from others, which makes this film stand out greatly. In my opinion, I don't see how at all this film can be faulted. Djimon Hounsou performed fantastically, he really portrayed the true emotions of how someone of his culture would feel, yet he was so strong in the end, he persevered to reach his goal and happiness came too him. As for Jennifer Connelly, a beautiful woman she is, again performed of a high standard. She too shows emotion and feeling, especially her chemistry with Leo. Save the best till last, yet again Leonardo Dicaprio's acting was truly phenomenal ( as always ), he portrayed his character perfectly, and I think he was correctly chosen to act the part. He again shown emotion, and I could tell he really could feel the characters feelings. As for the accent, again, wonderful!
    But yes, overall this film cannot be faulted, in any way. I love this film, it is honestly a favourite I would watch over and over again. I recommend this film if you're interested in riding a 2 hour or so rollercoaster of action, emotion and surprise.
  13. Jul 4, 2012
    I hated on Leo for a long time, until I saw this movie. Now I am a fan and this film shows his budding flexibility as an actor. The story is basic in my opinion but snakes with tangents that make the story somewhat unpredictable-which is key for a movie like this to keep my interest. Not sure it is raised the awareness of the "blood Diamond" industry in Africa as it should/could have butI hated on Leo for a long time, until I saw this movie. Now I am a fan and this film shows his budding flexibility as an actor. The story is basic in my opinion but snakes with tangents that make the story somewhat unpredictable-which is key for a movie like this to keep my interest. Not sure it is raised the awareness of the "blood Diamond" industry in Africa as it should/could have but the film looked wonderful. A classic for heart wrenching and action, combined with a great cast. Add it to your collection. Expand
  14. Nov 6, 2011
    With a great wild performance by DiCaprio and a surprisingly deep story, Edward Zwick's "Blood Diamond" is certainly one of the most discussed movie of the year.
  15. Nov 1, 2011
    Wonderful and gripping performances and an realistic scenario of Africa helps Blood Diamond to go deeper into its amazing and not so original-story.
  16. Sep 19, 2011
  17. Aug 28, 2011
    This movie is a very good, very beutiful acting, loved the movie, F**CK YOU AVAtar HATER aka GERRY MARSHALL YOU ****
  18. Aug 18, 2011
    This is impressive movie from a talented director but there are som features always irritates me when it comes to hollywood films: no abililty to catch real mental processes of real people but just cliche after another. I don ´t mean cliche doesn ´t depict reality -it usually does. And that s why it is easy to use in charachters because everyone in this realityThis is impressive movie from a talented director but there are som features always irritates me when it comes to hollywood films: no abililty to catch real mental processes of real people but just cliche after another. I don ´t mean cliche doesn ´t depict reality -it usually does. And that s why it is easy to use in charachters because everyone in this reality will get in touch with a cliche. Also there are clearly conscious choices not to make those paper thin cliches nothing more than paper thin -for example when it comes to that journalist Maddy Bowen. Ok I don t complain more because some characters were truly impressive and well acted, especially many in supporting roles. As a whole this film was rather well constructed, very realistic story with haunting pictures from the paradise turned in hell. Maybe story goes over the top with its moralism, which is another irritating thing about these hollywood blockbusters and to my mind is a sign of underrating the audience full of grown up people. But even those severe errors can ´t make this film bad :) Expand
  19. Jul 9, 2011
    I fail to see what most of the praise was about. DiCaprio played a strong character, if that means filling a frame with his beefed up looks and shouting his way through too many of his scenes. An emaciated Connelly simply was not believable, her character's naivete compounded by toting around a one-lens camera for a major journalism assignment. The theme took too long to establish, andI fail to see what most of the praise was about. DiCaprio played a strong character, if that means filling a frame with his beefed up looks and shouting his way through too many of his scenes. An emaciated Connelly simply was not believable, her character's naivete compounded by toting around a one-lens camera for a major journalism assignment. The theme took too long to establish, and at the other end dramatic retardation was too much retarded and insufficiently dramatic. But it taught us that blood diamonds are a bad thing---and that's a good thing.. Expand
  20. Mar 18, 2011
    Great, atmospheric and moving story, great cast, extremely well made with an important message to deliver which is not sullied by the strong ending. Watch this film if you get the chance.
  21. Feb 16, 2011
    f only by simply choosing not to buy diamonds until the big corporations start showing some accountability. A lesson I think even the current government needs a reminder of.â
  22. DS.
    Jan 3, 2009
    Good performances by DiCaprio and Hounsou. A little long in length, but well directed. Good movie!
  23. MindyA.
    Dec 21, 2008
    Leonardo DiCaprio is great in this movie. He is such a versatile actor.
  24. GregA.
    Dec 18, 2008
    A 4 star film by any account. Gripping and fast paced. Di Caprio is a legend.
  25. JackS.
    Dec 17, 2008
    Good action movie. DiCaprio did well in it, I thought. I think this was probably better then his other movie "The Departed." Both good movies. This one was a little more intresting then "The Departed." In this movie, the sights it takes you in a rebellion in Sierra Leone. The rebellion was a great plot, getting all of those diamonds, stopping the war that tore a country apart because ofGood action movie. DiCaprio did well in it, I thought. I think this was probably better then his other movie "The Departed." Both good movies. This one was a little more intresting then "The Departed." In this movie, the sights it takes you in a rebellion in Sierra Leone. The rebellion was a great plot, getting all of those diamonds, stopping the war that tore a country apart because of diamonds. It makes you realize that the people in this world are starting wars for recources and money. Movie was great. Expand
  26. DickVag
    Nov 11, 2008
    lol this movie is funnay!!!! This movie is a disney version of what really happens in africa, all you rich fux buying conflict diamonds for you whore of a wife, while you and your children sleep safely, these people deal with malaria, robbery, theft, rape and murder. Some where in south africa, about every 12 seconds there are girls under the age of 10 that are raped.
  27. JackB.
    Apr 1, 2008
    I had this DVD unopened on my shelf for months, i just watched it and WOW, i was gripped. Ive been impressed by very few films recently but Blood Diamond was superb. Perhaps a dodgy accent by De Caprio but he's really matured into a fantastic actor. Great supporting cast too. The storyline is excellent, the scenery breathtaking and nothing is overdone. Certainly deserves the plaudits I had this DVD unopened on my shelf for months, i just watched it and WOW, i was gripped. Ive been impressed by very few films recently but Blood Diamond was superb. Perhaps a dodgy accent by De Caprio but he's really matured into a fantastic actor. Great supporting cast too. The storyline is excellent, the scenery breathtaking and nothing is overdone. Certainly deserves the plaudits it received and i would recommend it to any one out there like myself with a passion for film. The film itself has made me more aware of the problems in Africa, something i will certainly be looking into more in the near future. Expand
  28. NinaA.
    Mar 25, 2008
    Loved it. Leo was totally gripping..
  29. LeiZ.
    Mar 19, 2008
    Possibly one of the greatest movies of 06. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, and it really makes you think about what you watch - not a norm in most action films. The civil war in Africa - all real. Conflict diamonds - that's real too. And what's worse, the brainwashing of children to become soldiers, absolutely real. I must say, Leonardo's role as a South African was so Possibly one of the greatest movies of 06. Keeps you on the edge of your seat, and it really makes you think about what you watch - not a norm in most action films. The civil war in Africa - all real. Conflict diamonds - that's real too. And what's worse, the brainwashing of children to become soldiers, absolutely real. I must say, Leonardo's role as a South African was so convincing I almost forgot he was American. Expand
  30. MadhavS.
    Feb 10, 2008
    brilliant .... realistic in every detail possible ... acting has been perfect ... music is good ... screenplay is good ... above all the theme truly stays in eveyone's heart ... hats off to edward ... he's done an amazing job ...
  31. DonP.
    Jan 25, 2008
    great film.it throws light upon the plight of africans .it says all about the worsening situation in africa.indeed the diamonds available in the markets are 'blood diamonds'.
  32. SusanM.
    Dec 24, 2007
    Very entertaining movie. I don't usually care for Di Caprio, but, for the first time, I found him sexy and compelling. I find Jennifer Connelly rather cold and distant, but that worked for her in her role as a journalist. The movie just scratched the surface of the huge number of problems in the diamond mines of Africa, but it was a surface that isn't often scratched. Even if Very entertaining movie. I don't usually care for Di Caprio, but, for the first time, I found him sexy and compelling. I find Jennifer Connelly rather cold and distant, but that worked for her in her role as a journalist. The movie just scratched the surface of the huge number of problems in the diamond mines of Africa, but it was a surface that isn't often scratched. Even if you don't care about the politics, the action was good. And if you don't care for action, there was enough plot to keep you involved. Expand
  33. DrewK.
    Oct 28, 2007
    It is a dramaticly powerful movie.
  34. CrystalB.
    Sep 7, 2007
    I LOVE this movie it was THE BEST i love you Leonardo Dicaprio *kisses*.
  35. JakeT.
    Aug 22, 2007
    This was an amazing movie with great cinematography. acting is amazing with action that is not over done and most importantly exposes the biggest atrocities of the diamond industries of Africa.
  36. FrancescaPapas
    Aug 22, 2007
    FANTASTIC MOVIE!!
  37. RebekahM.
    Aug 12, 2007
    Exactly the sort of movie to keep you entertain yet reveal the disgusting truth about what happens in poorer countries without the richer countries noticing.
  38. BenjaminB.
    Jul 22, 2007
    I like it when a movie makes you think different after you saw it and that's actually the case here. After you saw kids shooting innocent people, all the troubles in your life will look a little bit smaller. next to this effect it is also a quite good movie with a deep impact. only some characters are - in my opinion - too "flat". watch it.
  39. JonBoy
    Jul 16, 2007
    I'm always apprehensive of finding out about any factual political situation from a film, Hollywood has warped history once too often. This doesn't stop Blood Diamond being a cracking yarn though, visceral action and drama, combine with slightly heavy handed sermonizing to deliver a highly entertaining, yet emotionally stirring and thought provoking bit of cinema. The love story I'm always apprehensive of finding out about any factual political situation from a film, Hollywood has warped history once too often. This doesn't stop Blood Diamond being a cracking yarn though, visceral action and drama, combine with slightly heavy handed sermonizing to deliver a highly entertaining, yet emotionally stirring and thought provoking bit of cinema. The love story angle is a trifle forced, but I think the intent is more to convey the emotional attachment between men and wealth, men and their country, their people and their families. Great performances by Di Caprio and Hounsou. Expand
  40. FloraL.
    Jul 8, 2007
    Startling movie with very deep impact!!
  41. SusieQ
    Jun 24, 2007
    This WAY under-edited film serves only to trivialize the true horrors of this very serious issue. Extremely over-acted and cheesy.
    Jun 9, 2007
    An impressive action thriller that brings out visceral action, engaging social commentary, and great performances. I recommend it highly, and it'll get woman to look at their jewelry in a different way.
  43. AMovieCritic
    May 27, 2007
    A good old adventure movie with a strong plot and interesting characters. Plus, great setting and really cool music. Really good acting, as well. A pretty eye-opening movie. Runs a little long and can be a bit preachy at times but it's a really well-filmed and very fun movie with some amazing action scenes. Recommended.
  44. SusieL.
    May 21, 2007
    A beautiful, breath-taking movie, exposng the world to the true horrors.
  45. LenR.
    May 5, 2007
    DiCaprio is great, the movie is over preachy.
  46. MojoP.
    Apr 23, 2007
    This isn't a bad movie, but it tries to do too much. It goes for a strong political and emotional overtone without quite nailing it down. Often times there are holes in the plot and things don't quite seem to flow. As a documentary it would have worked brilliantly but as a feature not so much. DiCaprio however was quite excellent, really believable as a freelance mercenary. I This isn't a bad movie, but it tries to do too much. It goes for a strong political and emotional overtone without quite nailing it down. Often times there are holes in the plot and things don't quite seem to flow. As a documentary it would have worked brilliantly but as a feature not so much. DiCaprio however was quite excellent, really believable as a freelance mercenary. I recommend all to watch it just to learn about the events, but for pure entertainment you have to go in with a good bit of patience. Expand
  47. Steve
    Apr 21, 2007
    A wild ride from start to finish. A moving story that is enhanced by the incredible performance by DiCaprio. Talk about intensity..this guy has it, and its all over the silver screen. An eye-opening film about the problems in Africa without becoming preachy about the morality of it all.
  48. KevinL.
    Apr 13, 2007
    The second best film DiCaprio has done since his Titanic days. He has really evolved as an actor. Meanwhile Jennifer Connelly turns up another steaming hot performance and Djimon Hounsou was outstanding in his role. An overall great underrated film and was a gripping thriller that touched not only me but everyone I know in the movie theaters.
  49. MartinS.
    Apr 8, 2007
    Slightly contrived but the performances pull you into this movie. Di Caprio really has become an amazing actor.
  50. TomH.
    Apr 7, 2007
    Very powerful movie. Having been in Liberia and Sierra Leone, it is very accurate.
  51. CJ
    Apr 6, 2007
    Despite Di Caprio's dodgy attempt at a Zimbabwean accent, I enjoyed this film. Highly emotional and bound to stir some feelings deep inside even the most unyielding of us, Blood Diamond set about its task of portraying the lives of Africans caught up in rebel warfare very well. Although it wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen, I felt that it had done enough to secure a Despite Di Caprio's dodgy attempt at a Zimbabwean accent, I enjoyed this film. Highly emotional and bound to stir some feelings deep inside even the most unyielding of us, Blood Diamond set about its task of portraying the lives of Africans caught up in rebel warfare very well. Although it wasn't the greatest film I've ever seen, I felt that it had done enough to secure a place among the best of them. Expand
  52. DavidT.
    Apr 5, 2007
    A little Over Done...Especially towards the End of the Movie!!! Some very dead spots of the Film I thought! But...Goes to show how the majority of you Americans are Suckers for tragic, sob stories that evoke no real moral sway! Diamonds Away...
  53. JeremiahP.
    Apr 4, 2007
    Well acted, but that is pretty much it. This is another Hollywood attempt to bring attention to horrible events that have already happened. Pointing out that blood diamonds are bad, well yeah we already know that. Now we have self righteous westerners not buy diamonds at all, leaving countries that rely solely on them as a source of income completely screwed. GOOD JOB LEO, STARVE SOME Well acted, but that is pretty much it. This is another Hollywood attempt to bring attention to horrible events that have already happened. Pointing out that blood diamonds are bad, well yeah we already know that. Now we have self righteous westerners not buy diamonds at all, leaving countries that rely solely on them as a source of income completely screwed. GOOD JOB LEO, STARVE SOME MORE AFRICAN CHILDREN!! Expand
  54. mariadesantiago
    Apr 2, 2007
    i really like this movie! Yes, it was sad but i really really loved it so much i could see this movie over and over millions of time... My husben to be also like it he thought it wasn't going to be a good movie..but, at the end he also loved this movie but that he would wach it over and over mybe 3 times but to as many as me!!!! I LOVED IT...................
  55. LanceD.
    Mar 31, 2007
    I was hesitant to see a Leonardo Decapitated with a South African accent movie, but the movie was a typical shoot em up, do bad, do good redemption, preachy Hollyweird movie. I do not think the movie focused enough on the full problem in Sierra Leone and the Clinton administrations lack of any response. Leo wasnt as bad as I thought he would be but the movie is still a big budget Leo vehicle.
  56. ZinnyS.
    Mar 30, 2007
    Also Di Caprio's accent was rather patchy. True enough, from time to time he sound like a yank then it change back to south african. Touching story, it seem even in the land of millions of african the story follow only two white people.
  57. JudyT.
    Mar 28, 2007
    Good movie for Leo, bad for Djimon. Too bad they can't figure out that he can do more than scream. This could have been a good movie if his character had been developed more.
  58. JabezT.
    Mar 23, 2007
    This is a generally entertaining movie, and the reason I gave it a 9 is DiCaprio. I generally dislike him and feel that he has been woefully miscast in films like "The Gangs of New York" and "The Aviator". This performance is by far the best of his career, towering above his pathetic effort in "The Departed". He is dragged down a bit by the dopey role Jennifer Connelly plays, but he is This is a generally entertaining movie, and the reason I gave it a 9 is DiCaprio. I generally dislike him and feel that he has been woefully miscast in films like "The Gangs of New York" and "The Aviator". This performance is by far the best of his career, towering above his pathetic effort in "The Departed". He is dragged down a bit by the dopey role Jennifer Connelly plays, but he is totally believable in this role. At its heart, this film focuses on human stories, and this apparently disappoints those that expected a political film. The mostly incomprehensible politics whirl around the characters in a way that is more realistic than a preachy documentary approach would have been. Sappy in parts, predictable in others, but a stunning Leo and a beautiful and numbingly violent African background help make this movie worthwhile. See it. Expand
  59. DanB.
    Mar 22, 2007
    Would've gotten a nine or ten but for Archer's last scene, which was just too cheesy, too much, even for a Hollywood movie. Other than that though, it's kind of old fashioned but really well done so who cares. And Leonardo DiCaprio is, like, getting to a point where he is good in every single movie.
  60. Lea
    Mar 15, 2007
    The movie really gives a fake image of what happened in the reality, making it sound like the conflict happened by greediness, while it was far more complex than this, and poverty, corruption played a major role in the start of the war. It is sad that the movie just gives this image of the war and describe the people of sierra leone as people ready to commit terrible things by The movie really gives a fake image of what happened in the reality, making it sound like the conflict happened by greediness, while it was far more complex than this, and poverty, corruption played a major role in the start of the war. It is sad that the movie just gives this image of the war and describe the people of sierra leone as people ready to commit terrible things by greediness...Blood diamond is just another holliwood movie. Expand
  61. PoorK.
    Mar 9, 2007
    The impression I get from this movie is, the filmmakers googled around for some heart-breaking story to exploit (so they could pretend they were making a difference). They then drastically simplifed the issues to the point of distortion so we could all feel moved without actually being edified. What's the source of the problem? Simple! Greedy evil big diamond industry (even though The impression I get from this movie is, the filmmakers googled around for some heart-breaking story to exploit (so they could pretend they were making a difference). They then drastically simplifed the issues to the point of distortion so we could all feel moved without actually being edified. What's the source of the problem? Simple! Greedy evil big diamond industry (even though they are the last people to benefit from buying conflict diamonds and encouraging even more flood of illicit stones into the market which is already over-stocked) and stupid greedy shallow Western consumers! What's the solution? Simple! We have to ignore the voice of Africa no more (whatever that means) and...oh...please check for a certificate that the diamond you are buying is non-conflict. Oh how gloriously simple! Thank you so much! Also Di Caprio's accent was rather patchy. Expand
  62. EduardoSoto
    Mar 4, 2007
    It´s excellent! Briliant Characters, and Di Caprio is Superb in his performance as Danny Archer. Also the movie gives you a point of view of Africa and its terrible situation.
  63. ErinT.
    Feb 26, 2007
    This film I felt was a bit of an eye opener to what goes on in the rest of the world. It was very touching, scary, grusome, etc i could say so much about this film.
  64. NalinR.
    Feb 25, 2007
    I'm so shocked after watching this movie that I'm going to deny all Diamond purchases from now on.. outstanding movie, gr8 message.. and its surprising to see fer critics giving this movie 28 out of 100 ... I hope they could learn how to apppreciate a good movie.
  65. Paul
    Feb 17, 2007
    Definitely better than the metacritic score indicates. Very moving in some parts. My girlfriend apparently cried 3 times throughout the movie. Warning, though: a lot of innocent people die in this movie. It's frightening, but neccessary for the film. Anyways, DiCaprio is amazing in this one, the action's great, its just an all-around great film. One bad part, though, was the Definitely better than the metacritic score indicates. Very moving in some parts. My girlfriend apparently cried 3 times throughout the movie. Warning, though: a lot of innocent people die in this movie. It's frightening, but neccessary for the film. Anyways, DiCaprio is amazing in this one, the action's great, its just an all-around great film. One bad part, though, was the ending. I won't say what happened but it was kinda cheesy. Expand
  66. JanetM.
    Feb 13, 2007
    I did not like Jennifer Connolly's performance. Beautiful face, no expression, no passion.
  67. CamH.
    Feb 12, 2007
    Ripper of a movie. Actually has a real meaning, very moving.
  68. ChristianS.
    Feb 12, 2007
    Too much clichés and too much action. The writers thought, that the topic 'Africa' is drama enough, but it was nothing than boring 08/15 action.
  69. AaronM.
    Feb 9, 2007
    Blood Diamond is a surprisingly intense and informative movie that the general public needs to see. Yet, the box office viewing is evidence of what America does to Africa on a general level (turning a blind eye) that it's no surprise it never earned a #1 spot. Still, I believe it to be one of the best movies I've seen this year. Leonardo DiCaprio, similar to his performance in Blood Diamond is a surprisingly intense and informative movie that the general public needs to see. Yet, the box office viewing is evidence of what America does to Africa on a general level (turning a blind eye) that it's no surprise it never earned a #1 spot. Still, I believe it to be one of the best movies I've seen this year. Leonardo DiCaprio, similar to his performance in The Departed, is believable, strong, and convincing. The story is strong; the cinematography is excellent; and overall, Blood Diamond does everything I want a movie to do (to educate, captivate, and be enjoyable). Expand
  70. TonyT.
    Feb 7, 2007
    Terrific movie. Loved the performances of the 3 main characters.
  71. JoC.
    Feb 5, 2007
    Only after a couple of my friends told me I had to go see this movie, I started to believe it. And yes, it has pleasantly suprised me. DiCaprio suprised me with very 'put down' character. But what opened my eyes more, was the moral behind it.(cliché) Themes for movies start discussions like Mink was 15years ago. Diamond trade and Mink Trade are alike, the only problem is, Only after a couple of my friends told me I had to go see this movie, I started to believe it. And yes, it has pleasantly suprised me. DiCaprio suprised me with very 'put down' character. But what opened my eyes more, was the moral behind it.(cliché) Themes for movies start discussions like Mink was 15years ago. Diamond trade and Mink Trade are alike, the only problem is, what does one find cuter: Man or Animal? Expand
  72. EllenS.
    Feb 5, 2007
    Good movie: the story was thought provoking and well told and the acting outstanding. I forgot that DiCaprio was DiCaprio -- and I've never forgotten that before, not in any of his films. Lots of violence, but it seemed appropriate to the story. Worth seeing.
  73. MichelleD.
    Feb 5, 2007
    Absolutely amazing. Powerful, moving, really made me think. Great acting too.
  74. YolandaN.
    Feb 3, 2007
    A very suspensful movie; gripping with graphic scenes of violence, but not for the sake of gratuity. A story that should be told - viewers come out with a new perspective on diamonds. The moral lessons - avoid 'blood diamonds'. Greed is man's un-doing.
  75. NajwatR.
    Feb 3, 2007
    DiCaprio and Hounsou's stellar performances, slick editing, beautiful cinematography, and appropriate music make this flick one of this year's very best. It's a shame that it didn't get a Best Picture Oscar nomination.
  76. TracyC.
    Feb 2, 2007
    Powerful, thought provoking and very painfully moving, i had little knowledge of the diamond trade before this or the devsastating lives of child soldiers. Well done to Leo and all involved
  77. StaceyH.
    Jan 31, 2007
    Wow!!
  78. PeterB.
    Jan 30, 2007
    Superb movie - well acted and exciting.
  79. AM.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Good movie, DiCaprio does a great job.
  80. JoeO.
    Jan 28, 2007
    Brilliantly illustrated, accurately placed, powerfully emotional and a total mixture of sociology, politics and commerce
  81. ReidF.
    Jan 27, 2007
    The performances by Leonardo DiCaprio and Djimon Hounsou are outstanding, and Ed Zwick
  82. BillyB.
    Jan 26, 2007
    I hope this film gets some nods at the Oscars because it honestly deserves it. The performances by Leo and Djimon were truly moving and if you are still having doubts about whether this film is worth watching then let me just say .........WATCH IT!
  83. KimC.
    Jan 24, 2007
    Excellent movie. Leonardo DiCaprio proves once again that is and will continue to be a great actor. Djimon Hounsou deserved the Oscar nomination it just received for this role.
  84. TomV.
    Jan 22, 2007
    This movie is a real action packed thriller. It is full of facts and the plot always keeps you interested.
  85. MarkB.
    Jan 19, 2007
    Back in 1997, when Titanic was breaking all kinds of box office records and creating a few of its own, Leonardo DiCaprio suddenly started being touted in some circles as "the new Gable". That's not precisely accurate--even though Titanic was in many ways this generation's Gone With The Wind, Clark Gable's best characterizations (GWTW, San Fransisco, The Misfits) were Back in 1997, when Titanic was breaking all kinds of box office records and creating a few of its own, Leonardo DiCaprio suddenly started being touted in some circles as "the new Gable". That's not precisely accurate--even though Titanic was in many ways this generation's Gone With The Wind, Clark Gable's best characterizations (GWTW, San Fransisco, The Misfits) were mixtures of darkness and light while DiCaprio's Jack Dawson was nothing BUT light. Fast forward to nearly a decade later and who'd have anticipated DiCaprio as the new Bogart? Forget his British accent: Blood Diamond in some ways is Casablanca all over again, with the big honkin' precious stone that he and Djimon Hounsou form an uneasy partnership over filling in for the letters of transit. DiCaprio has grown and toughened more in a shorter period of time than any other contemporary actor that comes to mind: as recently as 2002's Gangs of New York he wore the cynicism and amorality demanded of him like an ill-fitting mask; now, with this and The Departed, it's come to fit him like a glove. Leading lady Jennifer Connelly does extremely well here too: after what seems like years of playing glum women carrying the world on their shoulders (which she excels at, as A Beautiful Mind and House of Sand and Fog clearly prove) it's a joy to see her smile, laugh and do repartee with equal skill! The movie itself is a smooth, handsomely made and entertaining action film with an ambitious social agenda: it not only wants to, like Hotel Rwanda, open Western eyes and hearts to the bloody atrocities Africans commit upon one another in Hatfield/ McCoy-like tribal skirmishes, but influence our pocketbooks by getting us NOT to buy jewelry sold by those who profit from and promulgate said conflicts. (The central--and perhaps unintended--question brought up in movies like this, which has reemerged anew with Saddam's execution, is so unanswerable it almost qualifies as a Buddhist koan; namely, if colonialist or dictatorial rule keeps the lid on decades and centuries of tribal resentments which would explode in endless bloodbaths if removed, is it possible that maybe iron-fist rule isn't ENTIRELY a bad thing?) Director Ed Zwick, who specializes in thoughtful historical epics and contemporary thrillers wrapped around such thinking-person's heartthrobs as Dicaprio, Denzel Washington, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise, works slickly and seamlessly but intelligently, avoiding many of the standard mistakes (such as having DiCaprio and Hjonsou be buddies); his directorial trademark seems to be the use of one piece of explicit gore to represent an entire canvas of violence--remember the soldier's head being blown off in Glory or the theatergoer's arm doing the same in The Siege? My central difficulty with Blood Diamond lies in Hjonsou's characterization (NOT his performance, which is typically powerful). He seems to have two and only two dramatic functions: to reclaim his son from the rebel army that has kidnapped, enslaved and brainwashed the youth, turning him and other children into something not far removed from George A. Romero's zombies, and to turn DiCaprio's cynical opportunist into a better person. This is the Noble Negro syndrome, most famously exhibited by runaway slave Jim in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and cafe piano player Sam in Casablanca; both are honorable creations, but have been duplicated too many times to serve as much more than an all-too convenient and arbitrary literary device, no matter how well played...and anyway, Hjonsou is certainly a nuanced enough actor (as In America demonstrates) to warrant and deserve characters with a few more layers and complexities. This does a lot to explain why Zwick's strengths and limitations as a filmmaker parallel those of his more famously socially conscious predecessor Stanley Kramer, and why Blood Diamond, as watchable as it is, is ultimately too schematic to be anything more than a good night of movie escapism, which is precisely what I'm sure Zwick DOESN'T want it to be...and why it's not causing QVC jewelry hostesses Jane Treacy and Lisa Robertson to lose any sleep over inability to meet their sales quotas. Expand
  86. DaveP.
    Jan 15, 2007
    Fantastic Film. Di Caprio has, almost overnight, become a mesmerising, morphing, magnificent actor. Djimon is nothing short of wonderful, and I am always glad to see Connolly. Edward Zwick has made a film of conscience and power, and those that accuse it of over-sentimentality have a jaded and over-cynical heart.
  87. NathanM.
    Jan 11, 2007
    This was one of the most amazing movies I have ever seen, the story was great and well executed by the director, aside from DeCaprio's horrible accent. The movie had great action, powerful dialogue and a killer ending to say the least. There was no better way to end the movie than the way the director did.
  88. LEONALEE
    Jan 8, 2007
    Rarely does media production have the ability to both educate and entertain the audience. Blood Diamond attempt to be such a movie. Indeed a beautiful and courageous attempt. Tthe story, character, filmaking skills, cast and all make it hard to ignore and forget. This movie will be a shame to miss.
  89. GeorgeCaine
    Jan 8, 2007
    Like 2006
  90. GeorgeC.
    Jan 5, 2007
    There were so many times this movie could have gone bad, and it just didn't. I thought it was a really good film. I disagree with a ton of the "professional" critic's comments. I don't think this is a typical Hollywood adventure. I think the movie brings a social awareness to some of the atrocities that we in America don't give a second thought to.
  91. AaronH.
    Jan 4, 2007
    I really loved this movie. The acting was great, the story was compelling (and never lagged), the characters were intriguing, and it was beautiful visually. Its definitely on my list of movies I would like to own. This is top notch stuff all the way baby.
  92. RickiS.
    Jan 3, 2007
    In spite of too many narrow escapes and two-dimensional characters -- all except the DiCaprio character are totally good or really evil-- this movie is exciting, adrenalin pumping, and entertaining. Leonardo is excellent. The story behind the story deserves to be told.
  93. lobeGreen
    Jan 3, 2007
    Amazing film. When I heard that, this film was going to be on our cinema i was thrilled.I was greatfull but when I saw the film I said: This film made for me
  94. Daniel
    Jan 2, 2007
    I would call "Blood Diamond" well-meaning, but as it progresses, it descends into self-importance and then finally to a level of self-satisfaction where the film is literally applauding itself. How noble the filmmakers are! To tell the story of how a white African and a Western journalist come to the aid of Africans who would have been perfectly fine had it not been for Western I would call "Blood Diamond" well-meaning, but as it progresses, it descends into self-importance and then finally to a level of self-satisfaction where the film is literally applauding itself. How noble the filmmakers are! To tell the story of how a white African and a Western journalist come to the aid of Africans who would have been perfectly fine had it not been for Western intervention in the first place. Expand
  95. BenV.
    Jan 1, 2007
    This movie was outstanding. It was an excellent story in addition to the truth. It really made me think about what was taken for granted in the rest of the world.
  96. MoreenM.
    Dec 31, 2006
    The Best movie of the year!!! As a Zimbabwean woman I was skeptical of seeing yet another depressing movie about Africa. However, as another Shona woman commented, I was very impressed with Leo because for the first time I was able to empathize with the Rhodies. That is great acting! Djimon also deserves an Oscar nomination for his brilliant performance! I commend the Director for using The Best movie of the year!!! As a Zimbabwean woman I was skeptical of seeing yet another depressing movie about Africa. However, as another Shona woman commented, I was very impressed with Leo because for the first time I was able to empathize with the Rhodies. That is great acting! Djimon also deserves an Oscar nomination for his brilliant performance! I commend the Director for using South African and Shona verbage well, hey Chyna! It was great to see some local South African actors from Isidingo, the soap, getting a chance to act with Hollywood heavyweights. I did not find the story heavy handed at all. We all need to be brought out of our comfort zones and realize how the West's luxurious lifestyle may at times have come through the rape of African's resources. As an African I also agree that our governments are also to blame but greed knows no racial boundaries. However, Africa is not all gloom and doom as there is beauty not just in the landscapes but in the cities which are just as cosmopolitan as western cities on a smaller scale. But the beauty in Africa lies in its resilient and warm people who are doctors, scientists, pyschologists, and enterprising people. I hope one day we can depict these positive stories but I am not holding my breath! But makorokoto to the cast and crew who executed a thought provoking and unflinching performance!! The best of the year. Expand
  97. GlennZ.
    Dec 30, 2006
    A very good movie. It was entertaining, a fast paced thriller and also showed the horrors of civil war yet another in African nation. Some very disturbing scenese. Good acting, some great scenery, great action, a tense thriller, and a good story line.
  98. JohnnyB.
    Dec 30, 2006
    Easily the best movie of 2006, it captivates the audience and gets their attention, but never releases it until the end. Blood Daimond was meaningful and excellently acted. I can't say enough of how great this movie is, and if you havent seen it yet, pay the money and see it!!!!
  99. robert
    Dec 29, 2006
    Towering above all--even the gripping sense of helplessness in a lawless zone--is dicaprio's performance... along with the departed, he has risen to the top level of actors (on one level) and great movie STARs (on another)...he is just brilliant in the film.
  100. roberti.
    Dec 29, 2006
    While Leonardo diCaprio inhabits his character with star-based assurance, we're led into a bloodbath that palls when it should be heightening our sympathies. At a certain point, like DiCaprio, you want to get out of Africa at any cost.

1. Reviewed by: Glenn Kenny
    Not that Diamond skimps on the social commentary; far from it. But it makes its points without too much breast-beating, caching its polemic within a tough-minded entertainment.
  2. To the unlikely role of a Bogart-esque reluctant hero, Leonardo DiCaprio brings an intensity that compels even when the script falters.
  3. Reviewed by: Brian Lowry
    Africa's enduring sorrow is ripe for drama, but Blood Diamond is, finally, a fitting metaphor for the gems: Potentially brilliant from a distance, but upon closer inspection, one likely will see the flaws.