Bloody Sunday

8.6

Sep 29, 2006
    Very blah unless perhaps you're an IRA member. Hard to understand the thick accents, as well as slow progress. Tries to give depth to characters but fails. Anti-climactic in every sense. This was a waste of my time. I only watched it as earlier in the day I saw it rated high on MetaCritic and stumbled across it on TV later that night.
  2. IL
    Oct 30, 2002
    While the subject matter was important, I didn't watch the whole film. The filmmakers decided, in an apparent attempt to make what was going on seem gritty and realistic, to film the movie with very VERY shaky camerawork and anemic colors. I found this pretentious. I also agree with the reviewer who said that the artistic license being taken did not behoove the film or subject While the subject matter was important, I didn't watch the whole film. The filmmakers decided, in an apparent attempt to make what was going on seem gritty and realistic, to film the movie with very VERY shaky camerawork and anemic colors. I found this pretentious. I also agree with the reviewer who said that the artistic license being taken did not behoove the film or subject matter. But my main problem with this is that after the first 20 minutes or so, I started to feel nauseated. This was at a free screening and the theater was packed. The air started getting very stuffy and warm, and soon after, I had to get up and leave. Anyone who saw Blair Witch in the theater, with its similar style of cinematography, and felt queasy from it will know what I mean. Collapse

1. There's no denying the skill and flair with which director Paul Greengrass has restaged this unhappy event, creating an uncanny sense of immediacy and allowing us to be a fly on the wall at a seminal '70s tragedy.
  2. An impressive film accomplishment, a combination of technique and extremely specific detail that reminds viewers how potent a rhetorical force the medium can be.
    Bloody Sunday doesn't surrender its grip on the viewer even after the action shifts from the streets of Bogside to a local hospital where the weeping masses are still under the guns of the war-painted British soldiers.