8.5

1. Nov 28, 2012
    Paul Greengrass's richly affecting docudrama not only delivers a strong aesthetic and some truly lifelike performances, but it shines the proverbial spotlight upon some unquestionably important subject matter.
  2. Aug 26, 2010
    Paul Greengrass captures the infamous "Bloody Sunday" massacre of 1972 with intimate close-ups and documentary-style filmmaking, giving a sense of weight and urgency to every scene. However, the lightning-fast dialogue and broad array of characters and scenarios sometimes make the movie more confusing than engaging.
  3. Oct 19, 2014
    This is by far the best real-life-tragedy-turned-into-film I have ever seen. With a stunningly realistic scenery and acting I totally forgot I was watching a movie.
  4. JohnS.
    Oct 8, 2002
    Taking 'artistic licence' much too far. When dealing with such a sensitive topic, more effort should be made to stick to the truth.
  5. Elliott
    Jul 4, 2004
    So intense and realistic, it's like actually being there: Bloody Sunday showcases the greatest use of digital video EVER.
  6. ArmandoS.
    Dec 10, 2002
    Jolting, tragic. extraordinary cinema. for grown-ups only.
  7. P.Cassidy
    Nov 17, 2002
    Excellent film, capturing the motives on both sides as well as the chaos the ensues. Its filming style brings across an amazing sense of reality. There's no doubt that this film gets very close to what happened on Bloody Sunnday, and perhaps (as latest details come from the on going inquiry) doesn't go far enough.
  8. MichaelF.
    Oct 20, 2002
    John S, I got one, it's called the First Amendment, Freedom of Speech, ever heard of it? This is the most realistic film I have ever seen. It's power is so great, and to such an extent, that I couldn't help but barely hold back the tears. It reminds me of Sept 11 and is probably one of, if not the most, powerful film I've ever seen. The movie layes off the grisly John S, I got one, it's called the First Amendment, Freedom of Speech, ever heard of it? This is the most realistic film I have ever seen. It's power is so great, and to such an extent, that I couldn't help but barely hold back the tears. It reminds me of Sept 11 and is probably one of, if not the most, powerful film I've ever seen. The movie layes off the grisly images and stays on the intensity. Expand
  9. IL
    Oct 30, 2002
    While the subject matter was important, I didn't watch the whole film. The filmmakers decided, in an apparent attempt to make what was going on seem gritty and realistic, to film the movie with very VERY shaky camerawork and anemic colors. I found this pretentious. I also agree with the reviewer who said that the artistic license being taken did not behoove the film or subject While the subject matter was important, I didn't watch the whole film. The filmmakers decided, in an apparent attempt to make what was going on seem gritty and realistic, to film the movie with very VERY shaky camerawork and anemic colors. I found this pretentious. I also agree with the reviewer who said that the artistic license being taken did not behoove the film or subject matter. But my main problem with this is that after the first 20 minutes or so, I started to feel nauseated. This was at a free screening and the theater was packed. The air started getting very stuffy and warm, and soon after, I had to get up and leave. Anyone who saw Blair Witch in the theater, with its similar style of cinematography, and felt queasy from it will know what I mean. Expand
  10. PaulN.
    Feb 16, 2003
    An intense truth telling experience for all to witness.
  11. GregS.
    Jul 13, 2003
    The documentary style will be unsettling for some, but this movie is devoid of any sentimentality for its characters. Rather, it tells the story quite simply and eloquently, all the more powerfully by showing the British side and their decisions and movements as well. The parts of it that were filled with intense action I would compare favorably to Black Hawk Down. This movie moved me The documentary style will be unsettling for some, but this movie is devoid of any sentimentality for its characters. Rather, it tells the story quite simply and eloquently, all the more powerfully by showing the British side and their decisions and movements as well. The parts of it that were filled with intense action I would compare favorably to Black Hawk Down. This movie moved me tremendously. It's spare, realistic, and very powerful. Collapse
  12. AkhilK
    Jul 27, 2005
    Its disturbing and shaky camera style is appropriate for its content. Yet its the emotional moments mostly during the third act that epitemizes the enitre film and is cause to the tears falling down your face. The fact that the British government got away with their wrought massacre is as sad as it is true.
    Sep 29, 2006
    Very blah unless perhaps you're an IRA member. Hard to understand the thick accents, as well as slow progress. Tries to give depth to characters but fails. Anti-climactic in every sense. This was a waste of my time. I only watched it as earlier in the day I saw it rated high on MetaCritic and stumbled across it on TV later that night.
  14. WalkenM.
    Oct 11, 2002
    I have no idea what movie the previous reviewer saw, but I witnessed a brilliant, scathing, and above-all realistic portrayal of the violence, the truth, and the morals surrounding one of the great modern tragedies.
  15. FernandoG.
    Nov 24, 2003
    Wow...
  16. BriannaC.
    Mar 22, 2003
    This movie was far better than I thought it would be. It made me feel as if I were actually following the victims around with a camera that day. This is a great movie and it really gets to the point. I don't think it got as much publicity as it should have gotten.
  17. MichaelD.
    Dec 16, 2002
    It made my blood boil. Staggering reminder of what cinema can do: achieve truth.

1. There's no denying the skill and flair with which director Paul Greengrass has restaged this unhappy event, creating an uncanny sense of immediacy and allowing us to be a fly on the wall at a seminal '70s tragedy.
  2. An impressive film accomplishment, a combination of technique and extremely specific detail that reminds viewers how potent a rhetorical force the medium can be.
    Bloody Sunday doesn't surrender its grip on the viewer even after the action shifts from the streets of Bogside to a local hospital where the weeping masses are still under the guns of the war-painted British soldiers.