7.6

1. ChadS.
    Sep 12, 2004
    Mr. Auster (David Strathairn) is like Big John Harrigan (Brian Cox) from Michael Cuesta's "L.I.E."; a sexual predator who is hard to abhor outright, because like Cuesta, writer/director Karen Moncreiff explains Auster's predator self. So as it turns out, Meg (Agnes Bruckner) might not possess any literary talent, but ironically, her life is full of tragic real-life experiences Mr. Auster (David Strathairn) is like Big John Harrigan (Brian Cox) from Michael Cuesta's "L.I.E."; a sexual predator who is hard to abhor outright, because like Cuesta, writer/director Karen Moncreiff explains Auster's predator self. So as it turns out, Meg (Agnes Bruckner) might not possess any literary talent, but ironically, her life is full of tragic real-life experiences that would inform a budding poetess. "Blue Car" is interesting if you believe Mr. Auster's lie, because there's a silver lining to what happens to Meg's sister, if she is able to mine her crucible for art. When we learn the truth about this teacher, there's a re-mourning because Lily's act, which could've been perceived as a gift for Meg, was wasted, and in vain. It was a boon for Mr. Auster, however, because it meant entry into Meg's arms. Straitharn is excellent in making his exploitation of this girl seem less creepy than it really is. Like Big John Harrigan, we lose sight of the fact that he's probably a monster. "Blue Car" might be based on the affair between Julia Whelan and Eric Stoltz in the cancelled ABC drama "Once and Again". Lily was the name for Sela Ward's character. Expand
  2. BrianR.
    Nov 12, 2003
    The movie kept my interest from start to finish. Go see it today.
  3. KaleeB.
    May 21, 2004
    Loved the movie, the poetry was beautiful and i could relate to the plot line.
  4. Heather
    Feb 27, 2007
    I really enjoyed this film. It was brutally honest and kept you interested until the end. It's one of those movies that I still find myself thinking about several days later. Great acting!

Captures the complex dynamic of a mentoring relationship like few movies before it.
  2. Ms. Moncrieff's low-key directing is matched by fine acting from Agnes Bruckner as Meg and David Strathairn as her mentor. Aside from a somewhat schematic climax, this is as smart a debut as we've seen in a long while.
  3. This is a film without a single false note. From the rain-streaked windshield to the unaffected line readings from a stellar cast, there is not a shot in Blue Car that doesn't ring true.