7.6

1. Aug 25, 2013
    Great movie, great acting. Cate Blanchette is Jasmine, a woman who has lost touch with reality because she's lost her identity. Woody Allen's script and overall concept are both human and divine. This movie is so full of humanity, everyone should be able to relate in some odd way and feel both annoyance and empathy for its characters. I love this movie. Allen at his best.
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    Excellent film; black comedy to the extreme certainly demented and emotionally twisted. Bobby Cannavale and Sally Hawkins are charming counterpoints to the insanity of Cate Blanchett's eponymous character. This movie leaves the audience questioning the reality of what the are actually watching.
  3. Aug 17, 2013
    Brilliant. Cate Blanchett gives the performance of her career! This film is as good as it gets. In the same category as "Interiors", "Husbands and Wives" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors." The entire cast shines and this is one of Allen's best screenplays.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Simply put: it's tremendous. Cate Blanchett is astonishing. I can't recall a better performance (or more difficult role) by any actress in recent years; yes, it really is that good (prepare to be awed!). It's Woody Allen's best movie in quite a long time. This was a very tricky film to pull off; credit the faultless cast and Mr. Allen's direction for crafting such a compelling andSimply put: it's tremendous. Cate Blanchett is astonishing. I can't recall a better performance (or more difficult role) by any actress in recent years; yes, it really is that good (prepare to be awed!). It's Woody Allen's best movie in quite a long time. This was a very tricky film to pull off; credit the faultless cast and Mr. Allen's direction for crafting such a compelling and successful production given the extremely complicated relationship of it's subject matter and tone. On this last point, moviegoers must be aware that although the film is filled with continual humor and comedy, the underlying story is very dark and unsettling. That said, it's not standard Hollywood film fare in the best possible way. There is no predictable story or narrative here; you never feel entirely comfortable with the characters or where the film will take you next. Expand
  5. Sep 28, 2013
    I just saw the film last night in London. Wow! Allen's best picture in years. I liked Midnight In Paris but this is even better and fabulous in most aspects. Treat yourself to an acting masterclass from Blanchette. We will always have opinions about what works and what doesn't. I felt this hit a nerve about where we are in society today and what we are looking for and how we getI just saw the film last night in London. Wow! Allen's best picture in years. I liked Midnight In Paris but this is even better and fabulous in most aspects. Treat yourself to an acting masterclass from Blanchette. We will always have opinions about what works and what doesn't. I felt this hit a nerve about where we are in society today and what we are looking for and how we get and lose what is most important. Life is messy and we are living in uncertain times like never before. No one knows what is around the corner and life throws the unexpected towards us without warning. Thank you Woody! Expand
  6. Aug 5, 2013
    Arguably Woody Allen's best film. He has certainly made none better. While this movie has a passing resemblance to A Streetcar Named Desire, it is more nuanced, more complex, more layered, and more convincing. Unbelievable script and performances. This film deserves at least two Oscars, for script and best actress. And it hinges on no amusing gimmick. No time travel. No man stepping out ofArguably Woody Allen's best film. He has certainly made none better. While this movie has a passing resemblance to A Streetcar Named Desire, it is more nuanced, more complex, more layered, and more convincing. Unbelievable script and performances. This film deserves at least two Oscars, for script and best actress. And it hinges on no amusing gimmick. No time travel. No man stepping out of a movie screen. No hypnotist. No gangsters cursing one another under the influence of helium. Just excellent pure focused tight drama. See it. Expand
  7. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one of Woody Allen's best films! "Blue Jasmine" continues the Director's fascination with betrayal, deception and infidelity. It also ranks as his best film since "Match Point", and in the upper echelon of all of his work. The performances are, to a person, outstanding. From Cate Blanchett's oscar-worthy lead to a score of smaller roles, it is note perfect throughout. AndrewThis is one of Woody Allen's best films! "Blue Jasmine" continues the Director's fascination with betrayal, deception and infidelity. It also ranks as his best film since "Match Point", and in the upper echelon of all of his work. The performances are, to a person, outstanding. From Cate Blanchett's oscar-worthy lead to a score of smaller roles, it is note perfect throughout. Andrew Dice Clay brings a surprising world-weary subtlety to his part, by far a career best for him. Huge kudos also to Sally Hawkins and especially Bobby Carnavale, who shows a "blue collar rage" unseen in Allen's films before. I'm not discussing the plot because there's no need to give anything away. This is, without a doubt, up there with "Hannah And Her Sisters" and "Crimes & Misdemeanors" as his best serious work. Expand
  8. Aug 28, 2013
    The movie was amazing. Cate Blanchett deserves (at least) a nod from the Academy. Andrew Dice Clay was brilliant as well. I thought the entire thing was superb and if people don't like it, my question to them is: What did you expect? This is Woody Allen after all. How much of it is a Ruth Madoff what-if, a lot of it me thinks.
  9. Aug 11, 2013
    The field for the 2013 Oscar for Best Actress has already narrowed to two: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) and Julie Delpy (Before Midnight). While Blue Jasmine has multiple flaws in story and script, Cate Blanchett's performance overwhelms everything else about the movie. She alternates between feverish and cool, delusional and pointed, with something like feral intensity. It's a shockingThe field for the 2013 Oscar for Best Actress has already narrowed to two: Cate Blanchett (Blue Jasmine) and Julie Delpy (Before Midnight). While Blue Jasmine has multiple flaws in story and script, Cate Blanchett's performance overwhelms everything else about the movie. She alternates between feverish and cool, delusional and pointed, with something like feral intensity. It's a shocking performance, really, one that lays bare the greed, rage and confusion that exists within all human beings. This is a must-see film. Must-see. Expand
  10. Aug 17, 2013
    refreshing... if you are human you have to like this movie... fun... multiple characters did an excelent job for this movie.. no complaints... non generic
  11. Aug 23, 2013
    The best Allen's film since Match Point. Cate Blanchett as Jasmine is outstanding, definitely an Oscar-worthy performance. I hope the next director's movie will be equally good or even better.
  12. Sep 21, 2013
    Poder estar adentrado en los pensamientos de una persona como Jasmine fue sencillamente fascinante. Es por esto que entiendo que no solo esta ha sido una buena película, sino que la actuación de Blanchett fue impresionante, profesional y muy artística. Woody Allen nos ha dejando en los últimos años una serie de películas que demuestran la capacidad y la educación que el hombre tiene comoPoder estar adentrado en los pensamientos de una persona como Jasmine fue sencillamente fascinante. Es por esto que entiendo que no solo esta ha sido una buena película, sino que la actuación de Blanchett fue impresionante, profesional y muy artística. Woody Allen nos ha dejando en los últimos años una serie de películas que demuestran la capacidad y la educación que el hombre tiene como director de cine. Simplemente con ver uno de estos filmes lleva a uno a reconocer que le pertenecen, porque su estilo se ha convertido en su firma. Expand
  13. Nov 18, 2013
    Blue Jasmine is really touching. It not only can see the brightness of Woody; Cate Blanchett tore my soul with her interpretation.

Ten dollars well spent.
  14. Aug 19, 2013
    Although Woody is a great comedic filmmaker, my favorite films of his are the dramas. This film is a throwback to the great 80's films of his like "Interiors" and "Another Woman". Cate Blanchett is mesmerizing as a woman who has lived in a bubble, and cannot face the real world. She is only comfortable in her unrealistic world as the wealthy trophy wife, and cannot function when theAlthough Woody is a great comedic filmmaker, my favorite films of his are the dramas. This film is a throwback to the great 80's films of his like "Interiors" and "Another Woman". Cate Blanchett is mesmerizing as a woman who has lived in a bubble, and cannot face the real world. She is only comfortable in her unrealistic world as the wealthy trophy wife, and cannot function when the marriage tragically ends. The supporting cast is superb, but this is Cate Blanchett's vehicle to take all the way to the Oscars. LOVED the ending as well. Perfection. Expand
  15. Jan 26, 2014
    Woody Allen does it again, go for awesome script.
    Cate Blanchet shows because it is one of the two best actresses of this generation.
    No doubt you will love this movie to anyone, entertaining, well built, with a social and personal message about greed, and their psychological causes when ruin hits your door.
  16. Feb 2, 2014
    Absolutely an amazing movie! Amazing cast, a story that keeps you interested and theres no way to know what will happen next. Or how it will end! a more with no action, yet I was glued to the screen! excellent!
  17. Sep 28, 2013
    You can keep your Annie Hall's, Manhattan and Midnight in Paris. This is the best Woody Allen film in years and it's all because of the magnificent Cate Blanchett. Yes, she's back and HOW in a performance to savour that must rank as the best in any Allen film. What about Diane Keaton I hear you ask. Diane Keaton! Don't make me laugh, well actually she didn't! There are simply not enoughYou can keep your Annie Hall's, Manhattan and Midnight in Paris. This is the best Woody Allen film in years and it's all because of the magnificent Cate Blanchett. Yes, she's back and HOW in a performance to savour that must rank as the best in any Allen film. What about Diane Keaton I hear you ask. Diane Keaton! Don't make me laugh, well actually she didn't! There are simply not enough superlatives to praise Blanchett's playing of this wonderfully multi dimensional and complex woman. The last time I can remember seeing such a delightful and off beat female character on screen was way back in 1987 when Holly Hunter presented us with her controlling TV producer Jane Craig in Broadcast News. Another performance to relish. Whether popping pills, talking to herself or rejecting suitors Cate is joyous whilst looking absolutely fantastic into the bargain.

In all honesty Allen's screenplay, whilst dramatically very good, is not particularly funny. The comedy is elicited by Blanchett's delicate playing and her expressions from scene to scene. Her escape from the clutches of the amorous dentist has to be seen to be appreciated and she makes it laugh out loud funny. There are no two ways about it she steals the show. Sally Hawkins does well in her role as the sister and of the men Andrew Dice Clay registers the best as Hawkins' ex-husband. But it is Cate all the way. Academy make up for your mistakes of yester year with the likes of Paltrow, Berry and Bullock and crown a true talent best actress. Yes, give her the oscar.
  18. Oct 21, 2014
    Good************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
  19. Aug 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Maestro Allen (and by this point it's an honorific well-earned) has infused elements of Streetcar Named Desire and Long Day's Journey into Day into this dark comic reflection of the impact of a serial narcissist on everyone around her.
    Cate Blanchette's creation of a woman so blinkered by her own needs she can't see around the corners of her own despair is achingly funny and alternately tragic. We know this soul. We all have a touch of her within ourselves (hopefully abated by an ability to bring the needs of others into equal measure with our own.)
    Few directors strike and hold a pitch-perfect note of tragicomedy like Woody Allen; if some of his works are inspired by those dramatists and filmmakers who have so profoundly influenced him over the decades (Bergman, Fellini, et al.) Woody has processed their themes through a piercing lens of his own and given us a stark insight into the 21st century malady of self-absorption.
    No less touching or amazing is the persistently underrated Sally Hawkins as the sister with the "bad genes"; she may not love herself as much as we hope she will, but she knows how to to live in her own skin and when the realities of this life ultimately take sway over the fantasies of our youth she able to make a stand. Like Stella Kowalski, she may go from one Stanley to another (really more of a "Mitch" in this case) but she will taste the richness of life and be surrounded by love. Conversely, Jasmine must ultimately be enveloped by her delusions until the final exit door slips quietly shut and leaves her in a shining void in which she is Empress in her fantasia realm of self-importance.

* *Spoiler alert** read no further if you haven't seen it! Meditate on Jasmine's next stop after that park bench at the end. The street? Another hospital? Another series of willing victims? I love that Mr. Allen lets us decide for ourselves.
  20. Sep 3, 2014
    Cate Blanchett takes on a role that's more complex than the equation to the atomic bomb; her mental health will go off like one when pushed. Her role is funny, tragic, annoying, sympathetic, selfish, and cogent. The rest of the cast is very much worth mentioning: Sally Hawkins, the less aristocratic sister. Andrew Dice Clay, the embittered ex-in law. Alec Baldwin, the conniving deadCate Blanchett takes on a role that's more complex than the equation to the atomic bomb; her mental health will go off like one when pushed. Her role is funny, tragic, annoying, sympathetic, selfish, and cogent. The rest of the cast is very much worth mentioning: Sally Hawkins, the less aristocratic sister. Andrew Dice Clay, the embittered ex-in law. Alec Baldwin, the conniving dead husband. And the charismatic Bobby Cannavale, the annoyed and irritated new boyfriend. Woody Allen rounds up these talented actors with a witty script and sharp direction, for a philisophical outlook on wealth and downfall. His more than often cinematic style of a gorgeous lighting, captures the lifestyle of Jasmine, or what she wants to keep of it, perfectly. It bay be too obvious this is a Woody Allen picture, but he pulls off romantic comedies with eclectic allure. Expand
  21. Oct 14, 2014
    Blue Jasmine is one of Woody Allen's best films. Great cast and great performances.
    Cate Blanchett shows the pain that Jasmine is suffering. You can see how powerful her acting is.
    Sally Hawkins is awesome as Ginger and she's the only who makes a great while Cate is on screen.
  22. Jan 24, 2014
    Stunning performance by Cate Blanchett. Beautifully directed by Woody Allen. 2013 is one of the great years of motion picture history. People will look back from 50 years and say "My God did you see the nominees for the 2013 Oscars?!
  23. Mar 7, 2014
    woody ailen is a creative director this is a guy who knows what he is gonna and he is determined to makes plans and goals for himself and others . i found cate blanch in this is perfect
  24. May 2, 2014
    A mythical tragedy composed with wit and humor. Acting is superb. Woody Allen in great shape. Excellent movie, certainly one his best ( I have seen most of his movies ). Enjoy it.
  25. Nov 22, 2014
    Summary: Filled with awkward and sad moments, Blue Jasmine is a very interesting drama, that boasts great performances and a moving story. 93/100 [A-]

Blue Jasmine was hilarious, what I liked about this film is the weirdness of the main character and its story. Cate Blanchet gives a believable and powerful performance here, such as the rest of the cast. Since the first 5 minutes you feel entertained and interested in Jasmine. The whole cast is fantastic and the musical score is jazzy and enjoyable. It's surprisingly entertaining and I didn't feel tired or bored at all.

Ginger (performed by Sally Hawkins) is an awesome character, she totally looks like the average american citizen, her character is happy, optimist and likable, she deserves her oscar nomination. Also, I want to add that the sub-plots and non-main characters are great too, you're interested in them, and you care about them. I liked the ambiguous ending and the whole message of the film: "You don't need be rich to be happy".

Hal (Alec Baldwin) is hateful in every sense of the word and his son Danny (Alden Ehrenreich) is one of my favorite characters in the film because he is determined and he wants all the negative people out of his life, in this case Jasmine. I really enjoyed Blue Jasmine, all the sadness and drama in Jasmine's life, all her lies and her attitude, this is definitely one of the best films of 2013, it's an instant classic. [A-]

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 4, 2013
    Allen’s ambitions with this taut, tart character study might not be stratospheric, but they’re at least moderate-to-high, and his degree of success is exciting.
  2. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Sep 26, 2013
    The one-liners are in evidence but this is more abrasive than you might expect. Blends rigour and vigour to join "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" and "Midnight In Paris" as the best of late-period Woody.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 26, 2013
    After all those false dawns, non-comebacks and semi-successful Euro jeux d'esprit, Allen has produced an outstanding movie, immensely satisfying and absorbing, and set squarely on American turf: that is, partly in San Francisco and partly in New York.