7.7

1. Apr 11, 2014
    Relatively strong Woody Allen film with a stellar cast and Cate Blanchett in the lead. I felt this film really went beyond what we expect from an Allen film, but still left a sense of melancholy and 'woe-is-me' throughout.
  2. Apr 11, 2014
    This film is carried by Blanchett's great performance, as well as a lot of great supporting performances. She does a great job with a fairly unsympathetic character. This is a great exploration of narcissism and denial.
  3. Apr 5, 2014
    Woody Allen has a very distinct style and shows quite impressively in this film. Cate Blanchett is a roller coaster of emotions in this movie and she nails every bit of it. Truly fantastic acting on her behalf.
  4. Mar 30, 2014
    Great acting by Blanchett, interesting story (oh, humans). Although at the end I expected more drama, like she was imagining the last part. And it ends up being circumstancial.
  5. Mar 28, 2014
    Cate Blanchette se luce muchísimo en la que tal vez no sea la mejor película en la que ha participado, pero probablemente sí su mejor actuación. Una historia divertida, dramática y entretenida, basada en una premisa simple, pero muy bien lograda.
  6. Mar 28, 2014
    The plot was bad version of, perhaps, Groundhog Day? I had a strong feeling that Kate Blanchett actually enjoyed playing the character, in a way to demoralise this woman. Is it my false perception, or is the actress an evil person in actual life? I don't like her in general, but this movie turned me completely off, I will avoid any movies with her playing in it, in future.
    As for the
    plot, this was just representing women in an unfavourable light, ridicule rich, and just full of negativity, overly exaggerated and clearly single sided opinion, author obviously hates women most of all
    All in all movie about nothing, no detection of any good morals, it was absorbed with hate and cruelty. I don't want my kids to ever see this
  7. Mar 7, 2014
    woody ailen is a creative director this is a guy who knows what he is gonna and he is determined to makes plans and goals for himself and others . i found cate blanch in this is perfect
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    Working against time to see the Oscar nominees. Didn't know that this was a Woody Allen film until it started . .that's how clueless I am. Cate B.'s performance was very good and it sounds like she'll win the Oscar. Okay. Trying to figure out why this film was so disturbing to me. Not sure . . . wanted to eject the DVD but waited until the end for what I hoped would be some redemption. Disappointed that it ended the way it started . .Jasmine talking to herself. Sheesh. Expand
  9. Feb 22, 2014
    It's an overrated movie by critics. The only good thing in film is Cate Blanchett's acting. It has not a theme like Annie Hall. Elitic dialogs don't lead audience any theme.
  10. Feb 17, 2014
    I don't see what all the hype is about this movie. There were parts that just bored me and at times I felt lost. I think it is overrated and definitely not award material.
  11. Feb 8, 2014
    Woody? Welcome back! This is the best Allen's film of almost two decades. Absolutely better and more powerful than "Midnight in Paris" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". This movie has every characteristic of his old films.
  12. Feb 2, 2014
    Absolutely an amazing movie! Amazing cast, a story that keeps you interested and theres no way to know what will happen next. Or how it will end! a more with no action, yet I was glued to the screen! excellent!
  13. Jan 26, 2014
    Woody Allen does it again, go for awesome script.
    Cate Blanchet shows because it is one of the two best actresses of this generation.
    No doubt you will love this movie to anyone, entertaining, well built, with a social and personal message about greed, and their psychological causes when ruin hits your door.
  14. Jan 25, 2014
    It was 'Rachel Getting Married' kinda movie with a story. About a troubled middle aged woman who come back to her family seeking a better life. Woody Allen did used his usual magical contents to render this movie in a style. Without his movie, the American academy awards won't complete. So this movie nominated in 3 major categories for 2014 OSCAR.

Jasmine is one of those characters hard
    to predict her motivation as well the concept of the life they are living in. As her life is affected with complicated matters around, she comes to live for a while with her sister. In that stay she goes through to forget the previous to make the future better. Haunting past, confusing present and complicated future is all she must handle. Is she is capable and how she does is the rest of the movie.

Good storyline keeping very simple with sometime a strong message is what I like in Woody Allen's movie. As a fan of his works I was not disappointed in this movie. As I said it was not afresh story. The way he convinced the audience through briefing the story is what makes him a great as always.

Definitely worth giving a nomination to Woody Allen for this screen writing in OSCAR. He made this usual drama into a special product. It was stated as a comedy, but as I saw it was quite a serious one in the matter it dealt with. The actors, Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins were given their best for the movie. I am not surprised for their nominees in Best actress and supporting role for OSCAR. I conclude this review by saying you should not miss the movie if you are a Woody Allen fan.
  15. Jan 25, 2014
    Rich with very fine performances. Cate Blanchett in particular stars in one of the best roles of her career. The plot was also interesting. I especially enjoyed seeing the way the backstory was revealed.

The movie, however, was very uncomfartable. A torrent of nervous breakdowns made watching this movie very sad and depressing. I don't know why this film is listed as a comedy. There was
    'some' moments were i laughed, but nothing to compensate the dread that i felt.

You won't get bored seeing this, but it's no 'pleasant' film like i expected. This is no Midnight in Paris.
  16. Jan 25, 2014
    Well, the viewer reviews on Metacritic look like Christmas lights down the page. One thing I think most of us can agree on is that Cate Blanchett utterly lifts this role above and beyond. Her believability as a high-heeled, Park Avenue strutter is seamless through each swing and swell of exasperation. Blue Jasmine is quality and reaches it's audience on emotional and humorous levels. Although, like some films of recent note (Inside Llewyn Davis), the characters eventually fold under their own shortcomings and finally no one learns or grows and no redemptions are achieved. And given Blanchett's scintillating performance, I remain wondering what may have happened had the bomb gone off. Expand
  17. Jan 25, 2014
    The Village Voice review on the left argues that Blue Jasmine is " relentlessly clueless about the ways real human beings live" and I think that just sums it up perfectly. Most of the characters are so completely ridiculous and artificial that it seems like they escaped from an SNL skit. That shouldn't be a problem in a comedy, but here's the thing: there's nothing funny about the plot of Blue Jasmine. There's infidelity, divorce, financial fraud, prison, suicide, debts, mental problems... a whole litany of very serious topics that Allen handles with a subtlety straight from the Three Stooges. It's revolting and the only reason why I'm giving Blue Jasmine such an undeservedly high rating is because of the excellent acting. Expand
  18. Jan 24, 2014
    Stunning performance by Cate Blanchett. Beautifully directed by Woody Allen. 2013 is one of the great years of motion picture history. People will look back from 50 years and say "My God did you see the nominees for the 2013 Oscars?!
  19. Jan 21, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Does Cate’s have the belated Oscar’s BEST LEADING ACTRESS in her bag? For a vanity-ridden, insolvent, over-the-hill trophy wife widow who just lost her fraudulent husband (who committed suicide in the prison) and desperately looks for an eligible replacement to get her upper-class life back on track in a Woody Allen’s film, it is not congruent with Cate’s majestic poise which we all kneel over, naturally I will be head over heels if she wins, but this year, my heart goes to Dame Judi Dench in PHILOMENA (2013), how often does the Academy honor the senior leading ladies? And no one deserves more than Dench among her peers, while Cate is at her prime and tons of opportunities await ahead.

Digress back to BLUE JASMINE, Allen returns to his homeland and the film is set at San Francisco, Jasmine (Blanchett) forfeited all her properties and bank savings after the passing of her husband’s Hal (Baldwin), returns to live with her sister Ginger (Hawkins), who is a working-class divorcée with 2 children. There are clashes between Jasmine and Ginger’s fiancé Chili (Cannavale), and a past wrangle of losing Ginger and her ex-husband Augie (Clay)’s lottery money scars the harmony between the sisters too.

The bumpy road of Jasmine’s readjustment into the new life style commingles with Jasmine’s high-end good old days, which grants Blanchett a full gamut of theatrical flexibility to sculpt a rather unsympathetic character from all possible (negative) angles, her shallowness, neuroticism, maliciousness, phoniness, obnoxiousness are all over the place, especially when the revelation unfolds near the end, what’s the odds for a wealthy wife to inform on her husband after discovering his chronic out-of-wedlock affairs? Not in real life but in Allen’s wishful thinking script, Once she grabs her status, it is no way she will squander everything out of a passion of betrayal, it is something every trophy wife should have learned by heart, what’s more unconvincing is that Blanchett can never be that stupid. A paralleled subplot of Ginger’s flirtation with a better suitor vehemently hints that things are not better for those lower class dreamers, reality bites.

The non-American Blanchett and Hawkins master in their American accent, Blanchett can never disappoint us, even under the most wretched situation, she is fiery and undefeated like a lioness will never capitulate. Meanwhile I’m more complacent for Hawkins’ hard-earned Oscar nomination, what a unique character actress she is, innocuous but vibrant with driving forces. Also an unsung hero among the cast is Cannavale, juggles with the siblings as the unsophisticated blue-collar labourer, who can be so blatant to snide at Jasmine’s ruin and question her faults and so volatile when going frantic with Ginger’s lapse and totally smitten with her when she retreats back to him.

Disregarding the overstated hubbub with A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE (1951, 9/10), BLUE JASMINE is not Allen’s top-tier output, the script is far less from award-worthy and a satirical comedy, but its friendly orange tinge and eclectic jazz ditties could accompany you for a lazy high tea time with Jasmine babbling about her delusions of grandeur, life is comprised of continuous dramas, so just let’s laugh about it.
  20. Jan 20, 2014
    A modern tragedy, Woody shows his writting skills are not closed to one or two genres. Outstanding acting performance by Ms. Blanchett and nice support cast.
  21. Jan 17, 2014
    There's no stopping Woody Allen, At 78 years old he's still making fresh films (on many occasions), that never fail to entertain as well as challenge. His latest picture, 'Blue Jasmine' is just that. Its a striking character study about a wealthy New York socialite named Jasmine, who is forced to move in with her working-class sister, Ginger; when her marriage with a wealthy business man falls apart after he's indicted. Spearheading the delightful cast which includes Sally Hawkins, Louis C.K. and Andrew Dice-Clay; was Cate Blanchett. She gives tour de force performance as the titular character, one of her best! The character's vapid, snobbish behavior, mental fragility and pure malevolence, was excellently conceived by Blanchett; both on a comedic and dramatic level. But as I've said many times, a great performance sometimes isn't possible without a well written screenplay. And gosh, does that apply here; Allen screenplay is a fine piece of work. His back and forth narrative structure which juxtaposes Jasmine's high life in New York with her dissatisfaction in the earthly home of her sister, was a brilliant approach to telling the story. Not only does it allow for neat characterizations; but it was also good way of bleeding the plot, which does take unexpected turns. 'Blue Jasmine' was a splendid study of class and morality, headlined by great performances from the cast. Expand
  22. Jan 11, 2014
    Great movie - funny, dramatic, and consistently entertaining. Cate Blanchett is a true artist. Woody Allen killed it with this one. Alexander Skaarsgard (sp?) was my least favorite part. He just seemed out of place amongst such connected actors.
  23. Jan 10, 2014
    Another story that has been done time and time again with below average performances except for Cate Blanchett. Very few of the characters are likable, and seeing Jasmine's character have one mental breakdown after another becomes tiresome.
  24. Jan 9, 2014
    Any Woody Allen can be great, as long as he's not acting in it. The humor and natural pacing of the film is signature to Allen's greatness as a director, and Blanchett is perfect for his type of humor.
  25. Dec 26, 2013
    I received the DVD as a SAG screener. I'm so glad I didn't have to buy a ticket for it...or two tickets..plus popcorn and drinks...and driving to and from the theater...with the expectation that this woujld be a great movie because critics and fans say it is. I was hoping that before I popped the DVD in the machine it wouldn't be one of those wordy diatribes that Woody has with himself on screen as all of his characters. My hopes were dashed. Did all of us watching not know how this was going to play out? What was the point? There was nothing realistic about it Blue Jasmine..and that's because it was an unintended parody on what life might be like for a new divorcee who got bit by a Madoff style scheme gone Federal. Oh poor pitiful Jasmine/Jeanette. Who cares?!?!?!?! No one cares. it's been done so many different ways. Was it well acted? It was overacted by Kate Blanchett with a forced Manhattan Elite American accent. The only scenes I liked involved Louis CK's Al Munsinger character. Well done, Woody. Anytime you can cast the likes of Louie CK, you've done well. I should rate this film a 2 instead of a 1 just for that, but i won't. Do us all a favor, Woodster. Go back to making ridiculous comedies like "Bananas" You're unmatched in that genre. And drop the clarinet-laden art house wannabe flicks. Leave them to the French. They know how to make the films you're attempting to puzzle together. Expand
  26. Dec 3, 2013
    God I wanted to love this movie. And that being said it's not a terrible film, just could have been much better. To start with the good, Cate Blanchett's acting is incredible and may nab an Oscar. Pretty much everyone else in the movie was remarkable as well. They focus on Blanchett playing a crazy lady who lies to get herself back in society after falling apart from her previous husband's lies and infidelity. They have a supporting look at her sister who is trying to make do with a little money and kids, after losing most of her money from as scam Blanchett's husband pulled. This side of the story is MUCH more interesting g than Blanchett's sobfest which has NO RESOLUTION. She is basically in the same place she was in the beginning as if no events matter. Yes her life is sad but you don't feel bad for her because she brings it upon herself. Many times it shows characters from her old life (which we see parts of in flashbacks) and the people never want her to come back into their lives. But, this is ineffective as we don't know enough about what she did to them to care. My opinion is that Woody Allen was afraid his poorly received last movie was too comedic so tried to make his next a first world tearjerker. It has strengths, but it doesn't work. Expand
  27. Nov 18, 2013
    Blue Jasmine is really touching. It not only can see the brightness of Woody; Cate Blanchett tore my soul with her interpretation.

Ten dollars well spent.
  28. Oct 24, 2013
    this movie shouldn't be nominated for anything. i love woody allen, but giving this movie good reviews is only encouraging more of the same material. the only depth in the story is in blanchett's character and in my opinion her acting wasn't as great as a lot of critics seem to think. watching this old woman in denial for what seemed to be 3 hours when it was only 98 minutes is not an enjoyable experience. the movie has two comedians and the only parts i laughed at were how awkward the serious scenes came off.
    this type of movie could have worked if it had more depth. blanchett's character doesn't fit into the typical woody allen movie, if this movie accomplished anything it's highlighting that fact in bold. it was just a big disappointment and the blame has to go to allen. i can't blame the actors for believing in the movie or giving it a good try. i still respect allen but if he produces more movies like this you can count me out.
  29. Sep 28, 2013
    You can keep your Annie Hall's, Manhattan and Midnight in Paris. This is the best Woody Allen film in years and it's all because of the magnificent Cate Blanchett. Yes, she's back and HOW in a performance to savour that must rank as the best in any Allen film. What about Diane Keaton I hear you ask. Diane Keaton! Don't make me laugh, well actually she didn't! There are simply not enough superlatives to praise Blanchett's playing of this wonderfully multi dimensional and complex woman. The last time I can remember seeing such a delightful and off beat female character on screen was way back in 1987 when Holly Hunter presented us with her controlling TV producer Jane Craig in Broadcast News. Another performance to relish. Whether popping pills, talking to herself or rejecting suitors Cate is joyous whilst looking absolutely fantastic into the bargain.

In all honesty Allen's screenplay, whilst dramatically very good, is not particularly funny. The comedy is elicited by Blanchett's delicate playing and her expressions from scene to scene. Her escape from the clutches of the amorous dentist has to be seen to be appreciated and she makes it laugh out loud funny. There are no two ways about it she steals the show. Sally Hawkins does well in her role as the sister and of the men Andrew Dice Clay registers the best as Hawkins' ex-husband. But it is Cate all the way. Academy make up for your mistakes of yester year with the likes of Paltrow, Berry and Bullock and crown a true talent best actress. Yes, give her the oscar.
  30. Sep 28, 2013
    I just saw the film last night in London. Wow! Allen's best picture in years. I liked Midnight In Paris but this is even better and fabulous in most aspects. Treat yourself to an acting masterclass from Blanchette. We will always have opinions about what works and what doesn't. I felt this hit a nerve about where we are in society today and what we are looking for and how we get and lose what is most important. Life is messy and we are living in uncertain times like never before. No one knows what is around the corner and life throws the unexpected towards us without warning. Thank you Woody! Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 4, 2013
    Allen’s ambitions with this taut, tart character study might not be stratospheric, but they’re at least moderate-to-high, and his degree of success is exciting.
  2. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Sep 26, 2013
    The one-liners are in evidence but this is more abrasive than you might expect. Blends rigour and vigour to join "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" and "Midnight In Paris" as the best of late-period Woody.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 26, 2013
    After all those false dawns, non-comebacks and semi-successful Euro jeux d'esprit, Allen has produced an outstanding movie, immensely satisfying and absorbing, and set squarely on American turf: that is, partly in San Francisco and partly in New York.