7.6

1. Nov 22, 2014
    Summary: Filled with awkward and sad moments, Blue Jasmine is a very interesting drama, that boasts great performances and a moving story. 93/100 [A-]

Blue Jasmine was hilarious, what I liked about this film is the weirdness of the main character and its story. Cate Blanchet gives a believable and powerful performance here, such as the rest of the cast. Since the first 5 minutes you feel entertained and interested in Jasmine. The whole cast is fantastic and the musical score is jazzy and enjoyable. It's surprisingly entertaining and I didn't feel tired or bored at all.

Ginger (performed by Sally Hawkins) is an awesome character, she totally looks like the average american citizen, her character is happy, optimist and likable, she deserves her oscar nomination. Also, I want to add that the sub-plots and non-main characters are great too, you're interested in them, and you care about them. I liked the ambiguous ending and the whole message of the film: "You don't need be rich to be happy".

Hal (Alec Baldwin) is hateful in every sense of the word and his son Danny (Alden Ehrenreich) is one of my favorite characters in the film because he is determined and he wants all the negative people out of his life, in this case Jasmine. I really enjoyed Blue Jasmine, all the sadness and drama in Jasmine's life, all her lies and her attitude, this is definitely one of the best films of 2013, it's an instant classic. [A-]
  2. Oct 21, 2014
    Good************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
  3. Oct 14, 2014
    Blue Jasmine is one of Woody Allen's best films. Great cast and great performances.
    Cate Blanchett shows the pain that Jasmine is suffering. You can see how powerful her acting is.
    Sally Hawkins is awesome as Ginger and she's the only who makes a great while Cate is on screen.
  4. Sep 20, 2014
    From the moment we open on Blue Jasmine the tension is palpable. Married to a real estate swindler, Jasmine is disgraced, broke and in the midst of a nervous breakdown, forced to stay with her sister in San Francisco. We learn of her affluence and downfall through flashbacks and neurotic story-telling to no one in particular – rehashing what was and has been, unable to come to grips withFrom the moment we open on Blue Jasmine the tension is palpable. Married to a real estate swindler, Jasmine is disgraced, broke and in the midst of a nervous breakdown, forced to stay with her sister in San Francisco. We learn of her affluence and downfall through flashbacks and neurotic story-telling to no one in particular – rehashing what was and has been, unable to come to grips with the truth of her situation. All the while we wait for the inevitable culmination as Jasmine continues to live beyond her means while staying with her sister, someone her husband defrauded.

Jasmine drowns herself in vodka martinis and is absolutely loathsome and irredeemable as the dishonored socialite. The pain and turmoil is clear in every scene featuring Cate Blanchett, though in the end it is impossible to sympathize for she is as unethical as her former husband clinging to her Hermès bag while donning a Chanel coat, all deliberate costume choices. Ms. Blanchett really is immaculate in this film and carries it throughout. Though aspects of the character seem a bit repetitive in comparison to former roles, which might detract from her ability to garner wins in the ‘best actress’ category. Further, every role is perfectly casted, especially her sister Ginger, played by Sally Hawkins, and Ginger’s love interests in the movie, played by Louis CK, Andrew Dice Clay and Bobby Cannavale. With all Woody Allen films, the story telling is heavily reliant upon dialogue; and despite its California setting, Allen cannot shake the New York feel, no matter how brightly the movie was shot.

It is a good movie with a superb tragic protagonist, a female in the grips of despair and how those around her react as it affects them. But, the pinnacle and conclusion and story itself is dissatisfying, as no true resolution occurs.

We, as the viewers, discover Jasmine’s culpability and everything continues just as it began. Audiences will probably not go back to it and I doubt it will have the longevity of greater movies released this year.

More reviews of recent releases at our website.
  5. Sep 3, 2014
    Cate Blanchett takes on a role that's more complex than the equation to the atomic bomb; her mental health will go off like one when pushed. Her role is funny, tragic, annoying, sympathetic, selfish, and cogent. The rest of the cast is very much worth mentioning: Sally Hawkins, the less aristocratic sister. Andrew Dice Clay, the embittered ex-in law. Alec Baldwin, the conniving deadCate Blanchett takes on a role that's more complex than the equation to the atomic bomb; her mental health will go off like one when pushed. Her role is funny, tragic, annoying, sympathetic, selfish, and cogent. The rest of the cast is very much worth mentioning: Sally Hawkins, the less aristocratic sister. Andrew Dice Clay, the embittered ex-in law. Alec Baldwin, the conniving dead husband. And the charismatic Bobby Cannavale, the annoyed and irritated new boyfriend. Woody Allen rounds up these talented actors with a witty script and sharp direction, for a philisophical outlook on wealth and downfall. His more than often cinematic style of a gorgeous lighting, captures the lifestyle of Jasmine, or what she wants to keep of it, perfectly. It bay be too obvious this is a Woody Allen picture, but he pulls off romantic comedies with eclectic allure. Expand
  6. Sep 2, 2014
    Bold and contemporary, Blue Jasmine proves the relevance of Woody Allen's storytelling today. Cate Blanchett gives one of the performances of the year alongside career-strong roles from Sally Hawkins and Bobby Cannavale.
  7. Aug 25, 2014
    I used to love Woody's movies and I even loved the dramas but this movie is terrible. None of the dialogue rings true, even the direction is bad and Woody, you are stealing the basic premise of Streetcar Named Desire and butchering it. Why people are showering praise on this pile of crap is stunning. The actors do a valiant job of trying to bring some truth to this dung heap but nobodyI used to love Woody's movies and I even loved the dramas but this movie is terrible. None of the dialogue rings true, even the direction is bad and Woody, you are stealing the basic premise of Streetcar Named Desire and butchering it. Why people are showering praise on this pile of crap is stunning. The actors do a valiant job of trying to bring some truth to this dung heap but nobody could. Louis C.K. can write and direct circles around what Woody is doing now and is totally wasted in this. People walk up to characters in this and spout dialogue that no one would say and no one who has a brain or taste can possible think this is good. The only explanation must be that because of what Woody has done in the past and the controversy surrounding him now, which by the way I do not care about, has made people support his work no matter what but this is possibly his worst movie ever.Stop making movies Woody, enjoy the accolades of the past and let better writers and directors take your place, Louie for one and let us love and remember you at your best, this is movie is far from that. Expand
  8. Aug 20, 2014
    Wonderful Movie, It looks like a higher version of Young Adults..!!
    I just wish they make another movie as a sequel of this. LOL, I mean i really wanted to know what happened after the end of the movie..!!
  9. Jul 29, 2014
    "Blue Jasmine" has little to say. The movie seems pointless at times, although there is, undeniably, a beautiful performance by Cate Blanchett, even on a one-dimensional character and a generic script. There are notable performances by other actors, too, and there are elements to be praised, such as the film's tragic ending. Even if not a masterpiece, it is a must-see for genre lovers.
  10. Jul 1, 2014
    Blue Jasmine itself might not be the best movie of the year, but it's Blanchett's Oscar-winning performance that elevates the film and takes it to emotional levels another lesser actress might not have been able to handle. It has a great supporting cast that ranges from Sally Hawkins to Louis C. K., and it shows a very accurate portrayal of its many themes and messages about how financialBlue Jasmine itself might not be the best movie of the year, but it's Blanchett's Oscar-winning performance that elevates the film and takes it to emotional levels another lesser actress might not have been able to handle. It has a great supporting cast that ranges from Sally Hawkins to Louis C. K., and it shows a very accurate portrayal of its many themes and messages about how financial status and relationship choices can make all the difference in life. Allen has been a sort of hit-and-miss director for the last decade, so this can be easily called his best work in years. Expand
  11. May 28, 2014
    This is a well made film. The story is well constructed and well written. The directing is good. The highlight of the film is Cate Blancett's performance. The character is interesting and relatable enough as it is but Cate's performance makes it even better. Cate does a wonderful job with the material given to her especially when she has to get angry and/or upset. Defintely deserved herThis is a well made film. The story is well constructed and well written. The directing is good. The highlight of the film is Cate Blancett's performance. The character is interesting and relatable enough as it is but Cate's performance makes it even better. Cate does a wonderful job with the material given to her especially when she has to get angry and/or upset. Defintely deserved her Oscar nomination for Best Actress. Film buffs and adults should definitely check this one out. Everyone else see if you want but you may be bored. Expand
  12. May 27, 2014
    There seems to be a complete loss of direction during the film where you are left bewildered and questioning when does it end. A load of polished tripe.
  13. May 18, 2014
    Woody Allen gives us one of the best movies of his career, Cate Blanchett is just so entertaining as a broke women who tries to rejuvenate her life. The supporting cast also give great performances with the likes of Sally Hawkins, Alec Baldwin, Louis C.K, Peter Sarsgard and etc...
  14. May 11, 2014
    Yes, I liked the movie. Great performances and everything. But, a lot of people calls it "Woody Allen's best work", at least recently. That's not right. Mainly because it's not really his. Why? "A Streetcar Named Desire". The plot so similar, and you can notice it since the very beginning.
  15. May 2, 2014
    A mythical tragedy composed with wit and humor. Acting is superb. Woody Allen in great shape. Excellent movie, certainly one his best ( I have seen most of his movies ). Enjoy it.
  16. Apr 11, 2014
    Relatively strong Woody Allen film with a stellar cast and Cate Blanchett in the lead. I felt this film really went beyond what we expect from an Allen film, but still left a sense of melancholy and 'woe-is-me' throughout.
  17. Apr 11, 2014
    This film is carried by Blanchett's great performance, as well as a lot of great supporting performances. She does a great job with a fairly unsympathetic character. This is a great exploration of narcissism and denial.
  18. Apr 5, 2014
    Woody Allen has a very distinct style and shows quite impressively in this film. Cate Blanchett is a roller coaster of emotions in this movie and she nails every bit of it. Truly fantastic acting on her behalf.
  19. Mar 30, 2014
    Great acting by Blanchett, interesting story (oh, humans). Although at the end I expected more drama, like she was imagining the last part. And it ends up being circumstancial.
  20. Mar 28, 2014
    The plot was bad version of, perhaps, Groundhog Day? I had a strong feeling that Kate Blanchett actually enjoyed playing the character, in a way to demoralise this woman. Is it my false perception, or is the actress an evil person in actual life? I don't like her in general, but this movie turned me completely off, I will avoid any movies with her playing in it, in future.
    As for the
    As for the plot, this was just representing women in an unfavourable light, ridicule rich, and just full of negativity, overly exaggerated and clearly single sided opinion, author obviously hates women most of all
    All in all movie about nothing, no detection of any good morals, it was absorbed with hate and cruelty. I don't want my kids to ever see this
  21. Mar 7, 2014
    woody ailen is a creative director this is a guy who knows what he is gonna and he is determined to makes plans and goals for himself and others . i found cate blanch in this is perfect
  22. Mar 1, 2014
    Working against time to see the Oscar nominees. Didn't know that this was a Woody Allen film until it started . .that's how clueless I am. Cate B.'s performance was very good and it sounds like she'll win the Oscar. Okay. Trying to figure out why this film was so disturbing to me. Not sure . . . wanted to eject the DVD but waited until the end for what I hoped would be someWorking against time to see the Oscar nominees. Didn't know that this was a Woody Allen film until it started . .that's how clueless I am. Cate B.'s performance was very good and it sounds like she'll win the Oscar. Okay. Trying to figure out why this film was so disturbing to me. Not sure . . . wanted to eject the DVD but waited until the end for what I hoped would be some redemption. Disappointed that it ended the way it started . .Jasmine talking to herself. Sheesh. Expand
  23. Feb 22, 2014
    It's an overrated movie by critics. The only good thing in film is Cate Blanchett's acting. It has not a theme like Annie Hall. Elitic dialogs don't lead audience any theme.
  24. Feb 17, 2014
    I don't see what all the hype is about this movie. There were parts that just bored me and at times I felt lost. I think it is overrated and definitely not award material.
  25. Feb 8, 2014
    Woody? Welcome back! This is the best Allen's film of almost two decades. Absolutely better and more powerful than "Midnight in Paris" and "Vicky Cristina Barcelona". This movie has every characteristic of his old films.
  26. Feb 2, 2014
    Absolutely an amazing movie! Amazing cast, a story that keeps you interested and theres no way to know what will happen next. Or how it will end! a more with no action, yet I was glued to the screen! excellent!
  27. Jan 26, 2014
    Woody Allen does it again, go for awesome script.
    Cate Blanchet shows because it is one of the two best actresses of this generation.
    No doubt you will love this movie to anyone, entertaining, well built, with a social and personal message about greed, and their psychological causes when ruin hits your door.
  28. Jan 25, 2014
    It was 'Rachel Getting Married' kinda movie with a story. About a troubled middle aged woman who come back to her family seeking a better life. Woody Allen did used his usual magical contents to render this movie in a style. Without his movie, the American academy awards won't complete. So this movie nominated in 3 major categories for 2014 OSCAR.

Jasmine is one of those characters hard

Jasmine is one of those characters hard to predict her motivation as well the concept of the life they are living in. As her life is affected with complicated matters around, she comes to live for a while with her sister. In that stay she goes through to forget the previous to make the future better. Haunting past, confusing present and complicated future is all she must handle. Is she is capable and how she does is the rest of the movie.

Good storyline keeping very simple with sometime a strong message is what I like in Woody Allen's movie. As a fan of his works I was not disappointed in this movie. As I said it was not afresh story. The way he convinced the audience through briefing the story is what makes him a great as always.

Definitely worth giving a nomination to Woody Allen for this screen writing in OSCAR. He made this usual drama into a special product. It was stated as a comedy, but as I saw it was quite a serious one in the matter it dealt with. The actors, Cate Blanchett and Sally Hawkins were given their best for the movie. I am not surprised for their nominees in Best actress and supporting role for OSCAR. I conclude this review by saying you should not miss the movie if you are a Woody Allen fan.
  29. Jan 25, 2014
    Rich with very fine performances. Cate Blanchett in particular stars in one of the best roles of her career. The plot was also interesting. I especially enjoyed seeing the way the backstory was revealed.

The movie, however, was very uncomfartable. A torrent of nervous breakdowns made watching this movie very sad and depressing. I don't know why this film is listed as a comedy. There was 'some' moments were i laughed, but nothing to compensate the dread that i felt.

You won't get bored seeing this, but it's no 'pleasant' film like i expected. This is no Midnight in Paris.
  30. Jan 25, 2014
    Well, the viewer reviews on Metacritic look like Christmas lights down the page. One thing I think most of us can agree on is that Cate Blanchett utterly lifts this role above and beyond. Her believability as a high-heeled, Park Avenue strutter is seamless through each swing and swell of exasperation. Blue Jasmine is quality and reaches it's audience on emotional and humorous levels.Well, the viewer reviews on Metacritic look like Christmas lights down the page. One thing I think most of us can agree on is that Cate Blanchett utterly lifts this role above and beyond. Her believability as a high-heeled, Park Avenue strutter is seamless through each swing and swell of exasperation. Blue Jasmine is quality and reaches it's audience on emotional and humorous levels. Although, like some films of recent note (Inside Llewyn Davis), the characters eventually fold under their own shortcomings and finally no one learns or grows and no redemptions are achieved. And given Blanchett's scintillating performance, I remain wondering what may have happened had the bomb gone off. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 4, 2013
    Allen’s ambitions with this taut, tart character study might not be stratospheric, but they’re at least moderate-to-high, and his degree of success is exciting.
  2. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Sep 26, 2013
    The one-liners are in evidence but this is more abrasive than you might expect. Blends rigour and vigour to join "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" and "Midnight In Paris" as the best of late-period Woody.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 26, 2013
    After all those false dawns, non-comebacks and semi-successful Euro jeux d'esprit, Allen has produced an outstanding movie, immensely satisfying and absorbing, and set squarely on American turf: that is, partly in San Francisco and partly in New York.