7.6

1. Aug 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Painfully depressing movie with no redeeming qualities--other than a bunch of fully developed characters who I'm happy to not know in life and wish I'd never met on film. Frankly, I'm baffled by all the positive reviews. Cate Blanchett's performance verges on being histrionic, which apparently critics are keen on. Mental health issues visible breakdowns sociopathic behavior awards, please. Best of luck to the cast and crew on that, but I'd like my hour and a half back. Expand
  2. Sep 14, 2013
    Excellent film; black comedy to the extreme certainly demented and emotionally twisted. Bobby Cannavale and Sally Hawkins are charming counterpoints to the insanity of Cate Blanchett's eponymous character. This movie leaves the audience questioning the reality of what the are actually watching.
  3. Jan 25, 2014
    Well, the viewer reviews on Metacritic look like Christmas lights down the page. One thing I think most of us can agree on is that Cate Blanchett utterly lifts this role above and beyond. Her believability as a high-heeled, Park Avenue strutter is seamless through each swing and swell of exasperation. Blue Jasmine is quality and reaches it's audience on emotional and humorous levels.Well, the viewer reviews on Metacritic look like Christmas lights down the page. One thing I think most of us can agree on is that Cate Blanchett utterly lifts this role above and beyond. Her believability as a high-heeled, Park Avenue strutter is seamless through each swing and swell of exasperation. Blue Jasmine is quality and reaches it's audience on emotional and humorous levels. Although, like some films of recent note (Inside Llewyn Davis), the characters eventually fold under their own shortcomings and finally no one learns or grows and no redemptions are achieved. And given Blanchett's scintillating performance, I remain wondering what may have happened had the bomb gone off. Expand
  4. Jan 9, 2014
    Any Woody Allen can be great, as long as he's not acting in it. The humor and natural pacing of the film is signature to Allen's greatness as a director, and Blanchett is perfect for his type of humor.
  5. Jan 11, 2014
    Great movie - funny, dramatic, and consistently entertaining. Cate Blanchett is a true artist. Woody Allen killed it with this one. Alexander Skaarsgard (sp?) was my least favorite part. He just seemed out of place amongst such connected actors.
  6. Jan 25, 2014
    The Village Voice review on the left argues that Blue Jasmine is " relentlessly clueless about the ways real human beings live" and I think that just sums it up perfectly. Most of the characters are so completely ridiculous and artificial that it seems like they escaped from an SNL skit. That shouldn't be a problem in a comedy, but here's the thing: there's nothing funny about the plot ofThe Village Voice review on the left argues that Blue Jasmine is " relentlessly clueless about the ways real human beings live" and I think that just sums it up perfectly. Most of the characters are so completely ridiculous and artificial that it seems like they escaped from an SNL skit. That shouldn't be a problem in a comedy, but here's the thing: there's nothing funny about the plot of Blue Jasmine. There's infidelity, divorce, financial fraud, prison, suicide, debts, mental problems... a whole litany of very serious topics that Allen handles with a subtlety straight from the Three Stooges. It's revolting and the only reason why I'm giving Blue Jasmine such an undeservedly high rating is because of the excellent acting. Expand
  7. Nov 18, 2013
    Blue Jasmine is really touching. It not only can see the brightness of Woody; Cate Blanchett tore my soul with her interpretation.

Ten dollars well spent.
  8. Mar 1, 2014
    Working against time to see the Oscar nominees. Didn't know that this was a Woody Allen film until it started . .that's how clueless I am. Cate B.'s performance was very good and it sounds like she'll win the Oscar. Okay. Trying to figure out why this film was so disturbing to me. Not sure . . . wanted to eject the DVD but waited until the end for what I hoped would be someWorking against time to see the Oscar nominees. Didn't know that this was a Woody Allen film until it started . .that's how clueless I am. Cate B.'s performance was very good and it sounds like she'll win the Oscar. Okay. Trying to figure out why this film was so disturbing to me. Not sure . . . wanted to eject the DVD but waited until the end for what I hoped would be some redemption. Disappointed that it ended the way it started . .Jasmine talking to herself. Sheesh. Expand
  9. May 27, 2014
    There seems to be a complete loss of direction during the film where you are left bewildered and questioning when does it end. A load of polished tripe.
  10. Aug 9, 2013
    Blanche DuBois comes onstage. She’s Stella’s older, single sister (early thirties). Blanche waits inside the apartment and has a shot of Stanley’s booze--the sisters reunite and Blanche reveals some bad news--they are bankrupt. She had a bit of a break-down--Blanche is horrified that her sister is living in a dump like this one when they both come from such a wealthy, elite background.Blanche DuBois comes onstage. She’s Stella’s older, single sister (early thirties). Blanche waits inside the apartment and has a shot of Stanley’s booze--the sisters reunite and Blanche reveals some bad news--they are bankrupt. She had a bit of a break-down--Blanche is horrified that her sister is living in a dump like this one when they both come from such a wealthy, elite background. Blanche has another drink--rest assured that Blanche is either having a drink or about to have a drink at all times--Stella goes to the bathroom and Stanley enters and Blanche sees a man not good enough for her sister and too brutal for the DuBois sisters--while they chat, Blanche reveals that she was married once, but her husband died-- that night Stanley and his buddies play poker at the house. Among said buddies is Mitch, who is single.

No, you are not watching a remake of “A Streetcar Named Desire” or a filming of Cate Blanchett's Blanche, that she played on stage to resounding success. You are watching a modern Woody Allen version called “Blue Jasmine” but unfortunately Allen is not the poet and lover of words that Tennessee Williams was. Here Blanche is called Jasmine, or Jeanette, her sister Stella here called Ginger, played by Sally Hawkins, only now they are not blood sisters but both were adopted, which gives Woody Allen a chance to riff on genes! He also has a Bernie Madoff like Alec Baldwin while pointing fingers at how much did Jasmine--Ruth Madoff--know?

Now instead of one Staney we have 3: Gingers ex, Augie (Andrew Dice Clay), her current lover Chili (Bobby Cannavale) and a possible future lover Al (Louis C.K.) while Blanche/Jasmine’s gentleman caller Mitch is called Dwight (Peter Sarsgaard). Some more modern touches are using San Francisco instead of New Orleans, the guys watching a football game instead of playing poker, Jasmine popping Xanax and we see Blanche’s Belle Reeves in her New York life. Allen does stick to old blues songs playing a lot of the originals.

While all the actors acquit themselves doing excellent work it is more Cate Blanchett’s movie than theirs or Woody Allen’s. This is the closest we'll ever get to her stage portrayal of Blanche and, as of now, she is the forerunner for the Oscar’s Best Actress award.
  11. Aug 6, 2013
    People are just afraid to truly rate a Woody's film, because they're afraid of his name.
    Well, I don't think the well chewed subject looked any more appealing in this film. A tiring, slow paced, and predictable drama that scored above 40 only because Blanchett's acting was so good.
    I can't believe people said it's "Arguably Woody Allen's best film" when it's not even one of his top ten... baah
  12. Irk
    Aug 16, 2013
    I'm a blue collar guy and if there's one thing I know, Woody Allen has never spent a moment of his life getting to know men like me. In fact, while watching "Blue Jasmine", I was struck with the feeling that almost every character in this movie was somewhat imaginary. I kept thinking, "This is not how a person from this background in this situation would respond or behave", there wasI'm a blue collar guy and if there's one thing I know, Woody Allen has never spent a moment of his life getting to know men like me. In fact, while watching "Blue Jasmine", I was struck with the feeling that almost every character in this movie was somewhat imaginary. I kept thinking, "This is not how a person from this background in this situation would respond or behave", there was always something disturbingly off kilter in nearly every scene. It felt like a play, a two dimensional play.
    Cate Blanchett is a terrific actress and it's something to see as she tries to spackle her past outwardly while desperately failing to reconcile her conscious inwardly. Almost everything else is garbage. Your demographic for this movie goes like this: White, Affluent, Insular, Educated, and mostly in
    Retirement. Woody Allen knows this audience and, in my opinion, very little else. Clams in San Francisco? Dear Lord, did no one whisper into the emperor's ear that crab is what we eat here? Stupid example yes, but the entire movie has dumb moments like that. But details matter.
    Call me an idiot, but I did not even know what this movie was or that Woody directed it, furthermore, I didn't pick up on the fact that this was a retelling of Streetcar. I really can't tell you how that passed me off. The writer and director of this movie is a putz. Such good actors, such a great city to set it in, such a lot of money; Such an insipid waste.
  13. Sep 24, 2013
    I'm giving this film 2 stars because at times it was funny but mostly it felt like torture rather than entertainment and the only reason I endured the entire film was I was hoping it would redeem itself, which it did not. If you want to get up close and personal to a bunch of characters who live in a constant state of denial and have given up their common sense and morals for materialI'm giving this film 2 stars because at times it was funny but mostly it felt like torture rather than entertainment and the only reason I endured the entire film was I was hoping it would redeem itself, which it did not. If you want to get up close and personal to a bunch of characters who live in a constant state of denial and have given up their common sense and morals for material possessions, treating each other as part of the food chain, as objects to be manipulated, used and thrown away if that's your version of "humanity" then by all means go see this. My suggestion to the rest of us wait a few weeks until its on DVD and rent it that way you will only spend a couple bucks and if you don't like it you can switch the channel. Expand
  14. Sep 3, 2013
    The movie is well done, however it is not enjoyable. Very few of the characters are likable, and seeing Jasmine's character have one mental breakdown after another becomes tiresome. The film is so bleak it becomes difficult to watch. I was ready to walk out when the film finally ended. This should not be listed as a comedy.
  15. Oct 24, 2013
    this movie shouldn't be nominated for anything. i love woody allen, but giving this movie good reviews is only encouraging more of the same material. the only depth in the story is in blanchett's character and in my opinion her acting wasn't as great as a lot of critics seem to think. watching this old woman in denial for what seemed to be 3 hours when it was only 98 minutes is not anthis movie shouldn't be nominated for anything. i love woody allen, but giving this movie good reviews is only encouraging more of the same material. the only depth in the story is in blanchett's character and in my opinion her acting wasn't as great as a lot of critics seem to think. watching this old woman in denial for what seemed to be 3 hours when it was only 98 minutes is not an enjoyable experience. the movie has two comedians and the only parts i laughed at were how awkward the serious scenes came off.
    this type of movie could have worked if it had more depth. blanchett's character doesn't fit into the typical woody allen movie, if this movie accomplished anything it's highlighting that fact in bold. it was just a big disappointment and the blame has to go to allen. i can't blame the actors for believing in the movie or giving it a good try. i still respect allen but if he produces more movies like this you can count me out.
  16. Aug 19, 2013
    Cate Blanchett can do no wrong. As usual, she's brilliant as a neurotic, upper crust New Yorker whose life falls apart when her husband's (Alec Baldwin) shady dealings cause their downfall. She travels all the way to San Francisco to move in with her hard-working sister. Even with her captivating performance, watching Blanchett cope with the realities of being broke and her sister'sCate Blanchett can do no wrong. As usual, she's brilliant as a neurotic, upper crust New Yorker whose life falls apart when her husband's (Alec Baldwin) shady dealings cause their downfall. She travels all the way to San Francisco to move in with her hard-working sister. Even with her captivating performance, watching Blanchett cope with the realities of being broke and her sister's pedestrian taste becomes laborious. As usual, director Woody Allen has filled the cast with spot-on actors (including Sally Hawkins, Bobby Cannavale, Peter Sarsgaard), but his script is too neurotic and unpleasant. This not even remotely a comedy, but a sad portrait of a desperate woman. Expand
  17. Aug 17, 2013
    Brilliant. Cate Blanchett gives the performance of her career! This film is as good as it gets. In the same category as "Interiors", "Husbands and Wives" and "Crimes and Misdemeanors." The entire cast shines and this is one of Allen's best screenplays.
  18. Jul 28, 2013
    Simply put: it's tremendous. Cate Blanchett is astonishing. I can't recall a better performance (or more difficult role) by any actress in recent years; yes, it really is that good (prepare to be awed!). It's Woody Allen's best movie in quite a long time. This was a very tricky film to pull off; credit the faultless cast and Mr. Allen's direction for crafting such a compelling andSimply put: it's tremendous. Cate Blanchett is astonishing. I can't recall a better performance (or more difficult role) by any actress in recent years; yes, it really is that good (prepare to be awed!). It's Woody Allen's best movie in quite a long time. This was a very tricky film to pull off; credit the faultless cast and Mr. Allen's direction for crafting such a compelling and successful production given the extremely complicated relationship of it's subject matter and tone. On this last point, moviegoers must be aware that although the film is filled with continual humor and comedy, the underlying story is very dark and unsettling. That said, it's not standard Hollywood film fare in the best possible way. There is no predictable story or narrative here; you never feel entirely comfortable with the characters or where the film will take you next. Expand
  19. Sep 21, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Baldwin and Blanchett are wonderful. The rest of the cast is good, too. The problem with this Woody Allen film is the incomplete story. Jasmine's exploration of life at the dentist's office, with the budding politician, her son or even her husband each ends without much discovery of something bigger than the sum of the action. She dumps the dentist, gets dumped by her husband, gets dumped by the politician... and that's kind of it. The politician dumps her simply because he finds out, in one chance bumping into a character that informs him of Jasmine's lies about her former life. That mechanism for moving forward in the story is a bit weak. There's nothing emotional for the audience to grasp onto to buy into it. It's just information. The politician could have acted any number of ways and we are non the wiser as to why his character and relationship with Jasmine isn't developed in that way. Ebert used to complain about this kind of script where characters just announce what they're feeling or going to do, rather than have it unfold as story. There are many other instances of this kind of storytelling. However, the potentials for a great Woody Allen movie are lurking throughout. Baldwin's character seems even to be more dimensional and nuanced than even Blanchett's though both have great characters to portray. I wish Allen would have dispensed with the San Francisco travelogue (yes, he's guilty of characters ending up in iconic places that seem to go against their probably natural geography... ending up in South Park near downtown, wtf) and stayed in New York to develop Baldwin's character and story in all it's complex contradictions. Instead of Blanchett telling about her embarrassment selling shows to her high society friends, it would have been more bittersweet, funny and sad to have actually seen that, rather than her and the dentist. Expand
  20. Sep 28, 2013
    I just saw the film last night in London. Wow! Allen's best picture in years. I liked Midnight In Paris but this is even better and fabulous in most aspects. Treat yourself to an acting masterclass from Blanchette. We will always have opinions about what works and what doesn't. I felt this hit a nerve about where we are in society today and what we are looking for and how we getI just saw the film last night in London. Wow! Allen's best picture in years. I liked Midnight In Paris but this is even better and fabulous in most aspects. Treat yourself to an acting masterclass from Blanchette. We will always have opinions about what works and what doesn't. I felt this hit a nerve about where we are in society today and what we are looking for and how we get and lose what is most important. Life is messy and we are living in uncertain times like never before. No one knows what is around the corner and life throws the unexpected towards us without warning. Thank you Woody! Expand
  21. Sep 5, 2013
    I am a long-time Woody Allen fan and consider myself a minor aficionado of his work, but I am at a loss as to what he was intending by making a film about a person who is mentally ill and whose life is coming apart--again and again--because of her inability to have a relationship with the truth. Glib jazz played over tragic emotional breakdowns did not elicit amusement in me or my partner.I am a long-time Woody Allen fan and consider myself a minor aficionado of his work, but I am at a loss as to what he was intending by making a film about a person who is mentally ill and whose life is coming apart--again and again--because of her inability to have a relationship with the truth. Glib jazz played over tragic emotional breakdowns did not elicit amusement in me or my partner. We were deeply disappointed and somewhat disturbed. Okay, quite disturbed. I give it a 3 instead of 1 because there are some excellent performances. Too bad they are for naught. Expand
  22. Aug 25, 2013
    Great movie, great acting. Cate Blanchette is Jasmine, a woman who has lost touch with reality because she's lost her identity. Woody Allen's script and overall concept are both human and divine. This movie is so full of humanity, everyone should be able to relate in some odd way and feel both annoyance and empathy for its characters. I love this movie. Allen at his best.
  23. Aug 11, 2013
    Although this is well acted, Woody Allen's arrogance and cruelty is hard to take.

We watch a Cate Blanchett's very unattractive character disintegrate under a mass of grandiose and selfish self-delusion while she behaves badly to the people that try to help her. It's disturbing to watch, and I came away wondering why anyone would want to make an intensely ugly movie like this. Is this a morality tale? Or just something to make us feel good about ourselves while we look down on the main character's frailties?

I've been used to indulging Woody Allen's oddly dated view of the world because his interesting characters, but this is just too cruel and unredeeming.
  24. Aug 9, 2013
    Well, great acting, sure, I guess. Cate, of course, obviously. Bobby Cannavale was exceptional. But I couldn't wait for this movie to end, it was so sad. And the ending? Wow, saddest thing of all. I still feel lousy, although I just saw this today. Maybe I'll feel better soon.
  25. Jul 30, 2013
    “Blue Jasmine” is the latest submission by writer-director Woody Allen. It stars Alec Baldwin,, Cate Blanchett, Peter Sarsgaard, Sally Hawkins and Bobby Cannavale in this story of a character strangely resembling Bernie Madoff (Alec B) and his wife (Cate B) as they seek to function after the fall. Intermixed with this basic plot is the plight of Ginger, the sister of the Mrs. Madoff-like“Blue Jasmine” is the latest submission by writer-director Woody Allen. It stars Alec Baldwin,, Cate Blanchett, Peter Sarsgaard, Sally Hawkins and Bobby Cannavale in this story of a character strangely resembling Bernie Madoff (Alec B) and his wife (Cate B) as they seek to function after the fall. Intermixed with this basic plot is the plight of Ginger, the sister of the Mrs. Madoff-like character and her boyfriend (Bobby V) who so much resemble Stella and Stanley Kowalski in “Streetcar Named Desire” than probably even Mr. Allen would care to acknowledge. The characters are flawed and yet we never go further than skin deep in this commentary by the author and the need for tranquilizers and relaxers as our heroine faces life after luxury. The first really non-comedy from Mr. Allen since Interiors in the 80;s, I was disappointed in the product. Although certainly easy to view, the film lacks depth and tells us really nothing about what we are watching. I wonder if the many critics who are falling all over their pens to praise and acknowledge this work would be doing so if the author and director had a different name. I remember years ago that going to an Ingmar Bergman movie automatically meant you either loved it or didn’t understand it It was heresy to criticize it or not give it a rave review. So, at the risk of heresy and incurring the wrath of the Allen fan club members, I give this film a 7 because I truly expected so much more but never got it. Expand
  26. Aug 26, 2013
    I would call the latest of Woody Allen's movies, "Blue Jasmine", definitely not the best one but quite watchable.
    The movie resembles the Madoff's scandal, even though all names are different, but parallels are clearly seen.
    The way the story of the main character Jasmine is told is appealing to me. Every now and then a current event triggers a memory flash from her past life, and that is how we learn what brought her to the shabby state she currently finds herself. There are numerous faults in the script (written by Woody Allen as well). Plus over-all the movie leaves some clownish aftertaste (which is not unusual for his movies). But Cate Blanchett's performance made me forget all the movie's shortcomings. Even though the whole cast is quite good, without Cate I would be disappointed about the movie as a whole. An Oscar-winning performance!
  27. Aug 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I prefer to live on a wavelength unfrequented by the masses. So it makes sense that I'd enjoy most Woody Allen films; films that are strange in that very familiar way. His characters are portrayals of us or people we know magnified to the extreme degree. He's the master of balance, paying equal attention to the shocking and tedium bits that make life such an interesting (and often painful) adventure.

Blue Jasmine his most recent film plays with this idea of balance. A rather dramatic and shocking premise (Jasmine's husband kills himself while imprisoned for fraud) tempered by an exploration of what it's like to be painfully middle class (Jasmine is forced to redefine success, which prior to her husband's suicide meant multi-million dollar homes, the fanciest of clothes, and vacations in Saint-Tropez). It's also a too-close-for-comfort character study of Jasmine (played by Blanchett) we literally watch the fabric of her being unravel like a pathetically pretty doily.

Blue Jasmine is a deep sea dive into the frighteningly wild and unpredictable sea of Jasmine's emotions. Despite her beauty and timelessly elegant style, we learn that the only thing to have ever lived beneath her gorgeous facade was a manikin of wealth and power. When her husband's fraudulent money-making schemes are punished and Jasmine's left with nothing but her chanel accessories, she realizes how empty her life has become; and how, until now, she's never had to lift a finger to fill it.

Faced with this sudden challenge, we witness Jasmine's unraveling. She seems to sweat profusely in every scene (somehow beautiful despite massive pit stains and greasy hair). Her stoli-vodka martini trembles in her anxious hand, as she tries to make a life for herself while living with her adopted sister Ginger, working as a receptionist for a dentist, and going back to school to learn how to use a computer so she can start an interior design business of her own.

As the film continues to explore Jasmine's discomfort with the work required to be a self-sustaining adult and the lack of reward for doing so, I couldn't help but feel that this was a story about me; about the extraordinarily average life I lead. But through Jasmine's unraveling, I felt less and less wooed by the idea of "making it big" or having stuff. Regardless of the facade be it a chanel belt or vacations in Saint-Tropez we're all essentially the same up manikin trying our damnedest to hold our together behind the scenes.

Allen continues to make thought-provoking films with beautiful women in it. I loved this one, and Blanchett surely deserves an award for it.
  28. Jan 10, 2014
    Another story that has been done time and time again with below average performances except for Cate Blanchett. Very few of the characters are likable, and seeing Jasmine's character have one mental breakdown after another becomes tiresome.
  29. Aug 31, 2013
    This is one of Woody Allen's best films! "Blue Jasmine" continues the Director's fascination with betrayal, deception and infidelity. It also ranks as his best film since "Match Point", and in the upper echelon of all of his work. The performances are, to a person, outstanding. From Cate Blanchett's oscar-worthy lead to a score of smaller roles, it is note perfect throughout. AndrewThis is one of Woody Allen's best films! "Blue Jasmine" continues the Director's fascination with betrayal, deception and infidelity. It also ranks as his best film since "Match Point", and in the upper echelon of all of his work. The performances are, to a person, outstanding. From Cate Blanchett's oscar-worthy lead to a score of smaller roles, it is note perfect throughout. Andrew Dice Clay brings a surprising world-weary subtlety to his part, by far a career best for him. Huge kudos also to Sally Hawkins and especially Bobby Carnavale, who shows a "blue collar rage" unseen in Allen's films before. I'm not discussing the plot because there's no need to give anything away. This is, without a doubt, up there with "Hannah And Her Sisters" and "Crimes & Misdemeanors" as his best serious work. Expand
  30. Aug 23, 2013
    Allen has been cruel to many other of his characters, most memorably in Crimes and Misdemeanors, and he’s also left many other characters as prisoners of their own stasis and delusions—The Purple Rose of Cairo and Vicky Cristina Barcelona come to mind. But I’m not sure any of those other characters were quite as fully realized as Jasmine, which is naturally tribute to Allen and BlanchettAllen has been cruel to many other of his characters, most memorably in Crimes and Misdemeanors, and he’s also left many other characters as prisoners of their own stasis and delusions—The Purple Rose of Cairo and Vicky Cristina Barcelona come to mind. But I’m not sure any of those other characters were quite as fully realized as Jasmine, which is naturally tribute to Allen and Blanchett and their alchemy together, but it also made the film, for me, hard to take. (A minority opinion given the reviews I’ve read.) I saw sadism in it, beyond the usual misanthropy. (Love misanthropy!) Or, put another way, Blue Jasmine feels like tragedy without catharsis—an interesting thing to pull off, but not particularly moving or maybe even admirable. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    Oct 4, 2013
    Allen’s ambitions with this taut, tart character study might not be stratospheric, but they’re at least moderate-to-high, and his degree of success is exciting.
  2. Reviewed by: Jamie Graham
    Sep 26, 2013
    The one-liners are in evidence but this is more abrasive than you might expect. Blends rigour and vigour to join "Vicky Cristina Barcelona" and "Midnight In Paris" as the best of late-period Woody.
  3. Reviewed by: Peter Bradshaw
    Sep 26, 2013
    After all those false dawns, non-comebacks and semi-successful Euro jeux d'esprit, Allen has produced an outstanding movie, immensely satisfying and absorbing, and set squarely on American turf: that is, partly in San Francisco and partly in New York.