7.6

1. Jul 11, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. another indie film praised to the sky that did not impress. i was intrigued until i found out the motivating factor for dwight's rampage, about halfway through the film. not that his parents' deaths weren't reason enough for him to seek revenge, but there should've been more set up to his rage. he goes from a sorry homeless guy to a calculating killer in about 2 secs. Expand
  2. May 26, 2014
    Venomous in it's visual style but a waste of time overall. It begins as a suspenseful, psychological thriller but ends as an over the top action-oriented movie with poor acting.
  3. Apr 27, 2014
    A modern reinvention of the Hatfields and the McCoys - but with the unlikeliest of protagonists. I love it when the casting director departs from the norm and casts someone that brings an entirely different feel to a movie than you would expect when it kicks off. This dude is masterful. And the supporting actors are uniformly excellent.
  4. May 3, 2014
    A seemingly homeless man (Arlington native Macon Blair in a touching, nuanced performance) sets out for a revenge that grows out of control. Comparisons to early Coen Brothers are inevitable: a sly objective point of view, careful pacing, interesting observations, understated emotion and abrupt violence. Jeremy Saulnier (also an Arlington native), who wrote/directed/shot shows a matureA seemingly homeless man (Arlington native Macon Blair in a touching, nuanced performance) sets out for a revenge that grows out of control. Comparisons to early Coen Brothers are inevitable: a sly objective point of view, careful pacing, interesting observations, understated emotion and abrupt violence. Jeremy Saulnier (also an Arlington native), who wrote/directed/shot shows a mature mastery of style and cinematic confidence that augers well for his future (especially after the mess that was "Murder Party"). Every frame of this compelling film is quietly gripping and intelligent fun. Expand
  5. May 3, 2014
    This was a good, if not utterly perfect movie. It's tightly wound and packed with suspense, but there were a few moments that hung. The movie was shot beautifully and the lead actor Macon Blair turns in a genuine, powerful performance. Overall, it's worth a watch.
  6. Apr 28, 2014
    Boring, slow and obvious plot. There is only one scene that everybody likes that is masterfully done. But the famous scene was done first in Red State by Kevin Smith, so it looks like this director just copied it. Even if this will never become a cult classic, it is obvious that the director will become another big name in Hollywood soon.
  7. May 5, 2014
    It's a thriller, and for a thriller, the movie is not bad. A lot of blood, and it looks real, unlike some Tarantino movies.
    A few smaller characters are too caricaturish and simplistic. I am not going into the plot not to spoil it. Cinematography is good, and main characters play quite convincingly.
    As for a script, well, did I already mention that it is a thriller? So, do not judge it too hard.
    Overall, if you are a fan of this genre, you will not be disappointed.
  8. Nov 21, 2014
    Blue Ruin is a film that cements director Jeremy Saulnier as a talent to keep an eye on. Brilliantly directed, executed, and paced, Blue Ruin is a definite success. Macon Blair shines in the lead role and truly commands the screen and does a great job portraying this broken character. Saulnier never fails to amp up the tension here either, as you are constantly on the edge of your seatBlue Ruin is a film that cements director Jeremy Saulnier as a talent to keep an eye on. Brilliantly directed, executed, and paced, Blue Ruin is a definite success. Macon Blair shines in the lead role and truly commands the screen and does a great job portraying this broken character. Saulnier never fails to amp up the tension here either, as you are constantly on the edge of your seat here as the violence and unfolds. In addition, in just an hour and a half, the film does a great job developing all characters and plot elements to where it feels as though you truly have a grasp on everything that is happening in the film. As a whole, I went into this one expecting a good film and, luckily, that is exactly what I got in return. It is always a nice thing when a film lives up to expectations. The only negative I would mention here is the violence can be gratuitous at times and really took me out of the film in those moments. However, there are not many of those moments thankfully. Expand
  9. May 9, 2014
    A menacing tone permeates this small independent film as we follow an unlikely gun toting protagonist on his mission of revenge. The screenplay is laced with black humour and before its bloody conclusion provides more than a few twists and turns along the way. It's all executed to heart pounding effect and there are some shockingly gruesome moments that elicit audible gasps. It does feelA menacing tone permeates this small independent film as we follow an unlikely gun toting protagonist on his mission of revenge. The screenplay is laced with black humour and before its bloody conclusion provides more than a few twists and turns along the way. It's all executed to heart pounding effect and there are some shockingly gruesome moments that elicit audible gasps. It does feel longer than its mere 90 minutes but, if it ultimately lacks greatness, it still ends up being a very accomplished thriller. Expand
  10. Aug 1, 2014
    Unknown cast and crew, probably could have gone unnoticed if it was not attended film festivals. Todays Sci-fi and Fantasy cinema world 'revenge movies' are the most rare. In those, all are not impressive, but now and then a movie like this would do. I am glad I saw this. It was simply a revenge movie that how it looks when horses and desert landscapes were trimmed out of the western genreUnknown cast and crew, probably could have gone unnoticed if it was not attended film festivals. Todays Sci-fi and Fantasy cinema world 'revenge movies' are the most rare. In those, all are not impressive, but now and then a movie like this would do. I am glad I saw this. It was simply a revenge movie that how it looks when horses and desert landscapes were trimmed out of the western genre and of course that set in a modern era.

Dwight is a homeless who lives in a car. One day he gets a message that the man who murdered his parents is to be out soon from prison. All these years filled with vengeance inside looking for this day finally arrives. He marks his target and goes after it by not thinking of the consequences of it. So the hunting game begins striking one after another shedding bloods between these two foe family. Takes turns and twists before it concludes.

‘‘I'd forgive you if you were crazy, but you're not.
    You're weak.’’

Revenge movie is not a man go and shoot all his enemies down. I saw in this movie the lead character Dwight was eager to avenge his parents' death, but fear in the eyes, trembling hands and amateur killing instinct, totally a realistic appeal. Indeed an excellent performance by the lead man. A simple story, but awesomely developed with every scene. Almost a masterpiece work of this director that quite reflects the Coen brothers style of filmmaking.

The word 'revenge' needs an explanation why it's taking place and here it won't bother to describe in a flashback, but makes sure that you get the reason behind it. It is kind of tricky to understand, it might be either make-up or graphics, but all those wounds, gunshots and bloodsheds were looked surreal. Kind of running and chasing type of tension movie, whenever those crucial clash happens, it pulls us to our seat's edge. It serves potentially what viewers would expect from this genre. A must see for those who like gore and vengeance themes.
  11. Aug 10, 2014
    Positives: Strong performance from the lead, some very tense riveting moments
    Negatives: A bit meandering, some small plot holes
    Overview: A solid revenge thriller that has a great lead performance
    Grade: B
  12. Apr 29, 2014
    A good solid indie pic about murder and good old fashioned American revenge. BLUE RUIN lacks subtext to make as it insightful as it clearly wants to be but director, writer, and dp, Jeremy Saulnier displays talent especially in his direction of best friend Macon Blair who doesn't really have the presence to hold this film together. Again, BLUE RUIN is a good solid indie that is alwaysA good solid indie pic about murder and good old fashioned American revenge. BLUE RUIN lacks subtext to make as it insightful as it clearly wants to be but director, writer, and dp, Jeremy Saulnier displays talent especially in his direction of best friend Macon Blair who doesn't really have the presence to hold this film together. Again, BLUE RUIN is a good solid indie that is always full of surprises. For example, Eve "Jan Brady" Plum pops up in a small role. You respect the effort and the talent, you just wish it offered much much more. Expand
  13. Jul 18, 2014
    Una pelicula muy entretenida sin tanto dialogo. creo solo que debes en cuando se vuelve un poco lenta pero es poco .si te agradan las peliculas sin tanto dialogo perfecto
  14. May 15, 2014
    Great film with really good visual storytelling. The director takes you through the mind of a non violent person broken from tragedy and how his quest for revenge spins his life out of control with unintended consequences. The acting and camera work were stellar.
  15. May 16, 2014
    Blue Ruin is a marvel not because it does anything new, but because it wildly succeeds at taking something that’s been done a million times before and does it better – and not with superstars or a nine-figure budget or snappy catch-phrases, but with a back-to-basics filmmaking approach coupled with savvy execution on both sides of the camera. The first 8-10 minutes represent the bestBlue Ruin is a marvel not because it does anything new, but because it wildly succeeds at taking something that’s been done a million times before and does it better – and not with superstars or a nine-figure budget or snappy catch-phrases, but with a back-to-basics filmmaking approach coupled with savvy execution on both sides of the camera. The first 8-10 minutes represent the best opening to a film I’ve seen in I couldn’t tell you how long, almost everything that follows demands your attention, and the ending is remarkably satisfying. Expand
  16. Dec 22, 2014
    This film is a brilliant example of a slow, steady, and violent revenge story. Each shot had me at the edge of my seat. the ending was well done. The main actor Macon Blair, is very believable actor. Also want to point out, Jeremy Saulnier, wrote, directed, and did the cinematography for this film, in which he did a fantastic job on. Another great mystery thriller to add to my list!
  17. Aug 22, 2014
    For the life of me I can understand why this movie got such a high average rating. But as with most customer reviews...the bad ones tend to be more revealing.

The movie starts off in a very intriguing manner but quickly becomes mediocre once the dialogue picks up. Most of the supporting cast simply can not deliver lines or emotion convincingly - whether the talent is lacking in the actors, casting personnel or director is up for debate. Even the main character leaves you feeling like he doesn't fit in well. The story plot has been done and redone so many times it's too numerous to count. Nothing good or new to see here...skip this one.
  18. Sep 1, 2014
    When you read reviews of movies oftentimes you'll here words like "raw", and "in your face" and it's difficult to really get a handle on what that really means until you actually see a movie and you think of those words yourself. Those were two things that I thought of specifically after watching "Blue Ruin", the little known thriller and the next edition of my "Netflix Gems" series.

It

It follows Dwight Evans, a disheveled homeless man who, despite his shortcomings, is resourceful enough to carve out a nice little niche for himself for a guy living in his car and eating leftovers from the garbage. He gets picked up one day by a police officer and is told that the man who murdered his parents has been released after a prison sentence. Hearing this news and seeing the look in his eyes, you can sense the type of baggage this man has been carrying for years and start thinking of how a tragedy of that magnitude can affect a person at such a vulnerable age. It then sets us up to follow Dwight on a cold and bloody journey for revenge

It's easy for anyone to think of the "what I would do in this situation" scenario when watching a movie like this. More often then not, you'll hear someone say "I would totally do the same thing, I would straight up go after and kill that guy", hell, you might even think those thoughts yourself. It could even be seen as normal for those type of thoughts to cross your mind but actually acting on them is something else entirely. The majority of those who have those thoughts will eventually run into that last shred of their conscience that will hold them back from that combination of satisfying revenge and life ruining mistake. However, there is always that potential that there is that person who does break through that mental block and goes through with it. "Blue Ruin" is saying just that which is a reason why it's cast is filled with all new faces and unfamilars (except for Devin Ratray, last scene in the immortal role as Kevin McCallister's older brother Buzz in the "Home Alone" franchise) because they want to put a face to that potential and it reinforces the idea of how "Dwight" could be inside anyone depending on the circumstances.

It's because of these ideas why the we can relate to Dwight in way, whether its his fumblings with acts of violence, his regret after making mistakes, and just the obvious thought of being scared out of your mind when traveling down this type of road. It's so easy to be able to think about killing those who have killed your own because that Hammurabian mindset is so quick and easy, "You take mine then I take yours, done". We've grown as people from that kind of philosophy because we know that kind of brutality resonates and will eventually blow everything up on its side. "Blue Ruin" takes us on the journey of a man with nothing to lose and nothing to gain but revenge and the knowledge that that revenge won't ease his mind and lessen the effects of the trauma from his past. Dwight Evans is just a man who believes in a sense of right and wrong and that it is only right to destroy those who have done such terrible wrongs to him and his own in order to try and bring a sense of balance to his universe.

We all want balance in our universe but it's hard to decide what we are able to do in order to maintain that balance.
  19. Oct 12, 2014
    Blue Ruin is a mysterious movie directed beautifully by Jeremy Saulnier. A movie so meticulously crafted,you can say its literally flawless out of a technical aspect,a shame its not that riveting.

1. Reviewed by: Barbara VanDenburgh
    May 8, 2014
    Blue Ruin is a movie about revenge, but it reaches far past the bottom-shelf titillations of fantasy to tell a richer, character-driven story with a protagonist who's less avenging angel than ghost.
  2. Reviewed by: Patrick Gamble
    May 3, 2014
    A nefarious misadventure that's technical prowess and heartbreaking lead performance belies its economical pedigree, Saulnier's farcical tale is punctuated with irregular scenes of dark, bumbling humour whilst a wanton disregard for the bellicose testosterone of similar tales successfully constructs a tense and naturally opaque mood that broods with the clammy tension of an impending storm.
  3. Reviewed by: Tim Robey
    May 3, 2014
    There’s nothing Saulnier does better here than unveil his premise and bring the siblings together for their handful of scenes, but his film remains deftly shot and dynamic to the end.