Boyhood

7.7

1. Jul 11, 2014
    A boy enjoying pictures of women in swimwear with his friends. A boy being devastated after having his mane cut off. A boy debating the necessity of Facebook with his high school girlfriend. In all honesty, Boyhood is a rather apt title for this film. But it could just as well hold the name of another picture currently running in cinemas: Life Itself. That simple yet profound thing is whatA boy enjoying pictures of women in swimwear with his friends. A boy being devastated after having his mane cut off. A boy debating the necessity of Facebook with his high school girlfriend. In all honesty, Boyhood is a rather apt title for this film. But it could just as well hold the name of another picture currently running in cinemas: Life Itself. That simple yet profound thing is what lies at the core of Richard Linklater’s unique 12-year-spanning story and makes it relatable for everyone, regardless of sex, age group, descent, social status, or character. Linklater lets his audience live through the fun and the pain, the love and the misery, and the excitement and the disappointment of his protagonist Mason with yet another wonderful screenplay in his repertoire and an unspectacular but still extraordinary way of directing. Leaving the cinema, it’s hard to grasp one has just spent the better part of an evening in front of a screen, but at the same time, there’s also a feeling of having relived your own adolescence along with Mason. Expand
  2. Jul 13, 2014
    I was expecting a sort of emotional roller coaster with moments of empathy, sadness, joy, etc. -- having gone through real-life boyhood myself -- but rarely did this film evoke that kind of personal attachment and investment for me.
    Esquire has a Q&A with Linklater and Hawk in their latest issue, and in it they claim to have made a conscious effort to avoid cliches, but somehow they landed on a bunch of them anyway.
    There are a few great moments, and generally very few missteps, but ultimately this film does not reach the upper echelons of movie lore. It's good, not great.
    In short, I was expecting to cry. I had the box of tissues ready. Never came close.
  3. Oct 23, 2014
    From the opening scene this film emphasizes all of the minute intricacies of everyday contemporary adolescence upbringing through a lens incorporating the last decade and, ultimately, of the nostalgia-esque feelings that associate themselves with a millennial generation. This film, at face value, seems to inherently alienate every other subsequent generation (perhaps the most importantFrom the opening scene this film emphasizes all of the minute intricacies of everyday contemporary adolescence upbringing through a lens incorporating the last decade and, ultimately, of the nostalgia-esque feelings that associate themselves with a millennial generation. This film, at face value, seems to inherently alienate every other subsequent generation (perhaps the most important generation to appeal to in order to receive cinematic praise today). Being a millennial myself, yes, there were contextual aspects of the film that other generations would need a good long while to explain to (and even then it wouldn't do justice to the feelings of nostalgia and life-support meaning). The most important aspects (namely, parenthood, sibling-hood, alcohol abuse in a domestic setting through an adolescent's eyes, divorce, etc,) tersely bridges every single generation together- and the ending meditation on living life as memento (very reminiscent of Whitman's meta-analysis in "Crossing Brooklyn Ferry") "Closer yet I approach you; What thought you have of me, I had as much of you I laid in my stores in advance; You furnish your parts toward the soul." No cliches to be found in this film whatsoever. Expand
  4. Nov 4, 2014
    At the end of the movie, as the main character Mason Jr. (Ellar Coltrane) is sitting with an attractive young girl named Nicole. Nicole suggests that instead of people seizing the moment, the moment seizes the people. Mason smiles, and agrees. This is Boyhood. That one little dialogue summarizes the entire movie, and if used applicable, life itself.
    When one watches this film, you don't
    When one watches this film, you don't think towards what's going to happen next, you are completely enraptured in whatever scene is going on. You are fully and totally devoted to the movie and the characters in it. As you watch the movie, you begin to get attached to Mason and by then end of the movie, you start rooting for him unlike any other character. You not only want him to succeed, you want to make sure that he's taken care of, and that he finds his way down the right path in life. This movie captures you like no film has, or ever will
  5. Jan 18, 2015
    While I don't think Boyhood is quite as strong as everyone says it is, it's still a fantastic drama that has achieved something amazing that no movie has ever done- being filmed over the span of twelve years.
  6. Jun 11, 2015
    The fact that the movie is so mundane is part of it's charm. The film does a good job of presenting the beauty in the things that we often take for granted. This is honestly about as natural of a film as they come, nothing feels contrived about it.
  7. Jan 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. You either simply love this movie or loathe it. Personally I loved it. Definitely 2014 movie of the year by far. I agree that sometimes it can be dull and its a little long, but such is life. You're watching a boy grow up and figure out what he wants to do with his life, especially after some of the experiences he's seen/lived through. The first 30 minutes are probably the worst part of the movie, after that it's really good. I suggest sticking with it. Lots of good quotes all throughout the movie and I feel like it's gotten a lot of praise for accuracy. I'm a little older than Mason but growing up, it was similar. I enjoyed some of the things he did/played when I was younger. Kinda the way Forrest Gump did to baby boomers back in the 90's. I feel it's relevant to call Boyhood "This Generation's Forrest Gump." There's a lot to love in the movie. I'd give it more along the lines of an 8.7-8.8 but figured I'd bump the rating a bit. Deserves higher than an 8.1 Expand
  8. Aug 10, 2014
    Earth to critics - Boyhood may have been a successful experiment, but it is by no means a masterpiece. A transcendent film should convey some memorable archetypes, and this film, for all its cataloguing of the experiences of growing up as a boy, with a sister, a mother, and several fathers - one biological, and the others there chiefly to display male shortcomings - comes up with few, ifEarth to critics - Boyhood may have been a successful experiment, but it is by no means a masterpiece. A transcendent film should convey some memorable archetypes, and this film, for all its cataloguing of the experiences of growing up as a boy, with a sister, a mother, and several fathers - one biological, and the others there chiefly to display male shortcomings - comes up with few, if any. Despite the protagonist's criticisms of Facebook - valid enough, in my view - the movie resolves into a timeline as much as anything else. It's not that I did not enjoy the movie - it was perfectly entertaining. However, this is a film review site, and as such desperately needs some balance in the assessment of this particular offering. Expand
  9. Lyn
    Jan 11, 2015
    Totally understand the raves for the groundbreaking technique -- filming over so many years -- but I found this film pretty depressing. One critic says it "hold(s) up a mirror to the human condition," to which I can only lament that I HOPE not all boys are surrounded with adults who are pretty much screwed-up a--holes. The casting also falls short, as the children do not look at all as ifTotally understand the raves for the groundbreaking technique -- filming over so many years -- but I found this film pretty depressing. One critic says it "hold(s) up a mirror to the human condition," to which I can only lament that I HOPE not all boys are surrounded with adults who are pretty much screwed-up a--holes. The casting also falls short, as the children do not look at all as if they were produced by Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette. All that said, it IS really interesting to see the characters age and change, though the profundity (to me) falls short of Linklater's "Before Sunset." Final note: The soundtrack is extremely well done. It doesn't hit you over the head with songs of the different eras, but weaves music together artfully. Expand
  10. Aug 31, 2014
    Filmed over a 12 year period, "Boyhood" is the simple, relatable and extraordinary journey of a boy and his family. The wonderful premise and Richard Linklater's outstanding direction make "Boyhood" the year's best film, as of yet, and a sure contender for best picture. One of the best qualities of "Boyhood" is how well the audience can relate to the characters. I found myself transportedFilmed over a 12 year period, "Boyhood" is the simple, relatable and extraordinary journey of a boy and his family. The wonderful premise and Richard Linklater's outstanding direction make "Boyhood" the year's best film, as of yet, and a sure contender for best picture. One of the best qualities of "Boyhood" is how well the audience can relate to the characters. I found myself transported back to my own childhood while watching Mason grow up before my eyes; whether it was in watching the interactions and typical sibling disputes between Mason and Samantha or just seeing Mason acclimate to the challenges of growing up. Another refreshing aspect is how the film's plot doesn't revolve around a sinister villain, winning a championship game or surmounting impossible odds, but rather is simply about the beautiful and thoroughly entertaining adventure of "Boyhood." Expand
  11. Aug 10, 2014
    Boyhood embodies greatness. It inspires and exhilarates. It is poignant and uplifting. Boyhood celebrates life like no other and examines its often obscure meaning.

The film chronicles the fictional life of Mason from age five to eighteen. The plot follows his coming to age and the turmoil it often brings. This film is unique when it comes to story telling because it was filmed over the course of twelve years. This allows the film makers to experiment like no other and exemplifies to its audience the real time that passes in between scenes. You watch as Mason matures and you develop a deep connection with him that is almost universally unrivaled by other films. I became so engrossed in his character that the nearly three hour run time felt like mere minutes.

Boyhood is brimming in high quality. Richard Linklater directed this film flawlessly. His direction highlights the emotion of the film and projects life into it’s characters. Linklater’s screenplay also perplexes the characters and is filled with memorable dialog and subtle wisdom. The combination of these elements defines the film and its soul. The assembled cast is also top notch. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette star, and newcomer Ellar Coltrane plays the title role of Mason. The chemistry between the actors is unmatched and it only continues to evolve as the film progresses.

Boyhood is a celebration of life, from its triumphs to it’s heartbreak. It inspires us to live and as the film so eloquently put it “let the moment size you”. Boyhood instills its soul into every frame. It teaches us that life worth living. It shows us that beauty is all around us and we simply just have to let go to experience it. Boyhood is unlike anything that has proceeded it and likely unlike anything that will follow. It is revolutionizing in every sense of the word and is undeniably the best film (thus far) this year and possibly of this decade. I can not urge you enough to experience this monumental piece of art.
  12. Dec 26, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Easily the best movie I have watched in a long time. It's deep, thoughtful, realistic, but not heavy-handed. I like how there's really no moral to the story. As someone who had a somewhat disjointed childhood (like Mason), this is what actually happens. When you grow up, things are generally fine. You bear some scars from the experience but overall you just move on. Expand
  13. Jan 13, 2015
    Richard Linklater has proven himself to be our primary guide to cinematic time travel. Whether it’s in his Before Trilogy which captures the arc of a relationship over a decade or his lighter fare like Dazed and Confused which looks back on our teenage years through the lens of nostalgia, he has shown an uncanny ability to demonstrate on screen the subtleties of how time affects us all.Richard Linklater has proven himself to be our primary guide to cinematic time travel. Whether it’s in his Before Trilogy which captures the arc of a relationship over a decade or his lighter fare like Dazed and Confused which looks back on our teenage years through the lens of nostalgia, he has shown an uncanny ability to demonstrate on screen the subtleties of how time affects us all. Boyhood, which was shot over twelve years, following characters as the actors that play them literally age, is Linklater’s magnum opus. The persistence and determination of the all involved in the production is admirable and they deserve the attention they are receiving, however what is more remarkable is the film itself. A film so modest, light, and carefree and yet so powerful, Boyhood is the antithesis of the modern Hollywood blockbuster (Interstellar) characterized by their pomposity and heavy handedness. Here is a film that never claims it is telling us anything and yet in the end tells us everything. Expand
  14. Dec 26, 2014
    Watching a boy grow from six-year-old to a young adult, witnessing a family's 12 years in 165 minutes is nothing more than watching life itself.Richard Linkater delivers a film of a lifetime, the most realistic depiction of life and one of the most unique films in the history of cinema.The part I love the most is the final scene, at Big Bend, Mason talking with a girl he just met about theWatching a boy grow from six-year-old to a young adult, witnessing a family's 12 years in 165 minutes is nothing more than watching life itself.Richard Linkater delivers a film of a lifetime, the most realistic depiction of life and one of the most unique films in the history of cinema.The part I love the most is the final scene, at Big Bend, Mason talking with a girl he just met about the moment seizing us, he says ''It’s constant, the moments, it’s just - it’s like it’s always right now, you know?'', really great, a masterpiece Expand
  15. Nov 29, 2014
    One of the most revolutionary movies of the cinema history. . As you watch and see how people change you progressively fall in a more deep enchantment. Boyhood is simply a masterpiece that you will remember for ever and that will become a classic cult movie as time goes by. 10/10
  16. Dec 25, 2014
    This is the first Richard Linklater film that i have watched, he's got a lot of noteworthy films like Dazed and Confused, School Of Rock and Before Sunrise. Boyhood is such an inspirational take on life in general and it gets standout performances out of Ellar Coltrane, Patrica Arquette and Ethan Hawke.
  17. Dec 10, 2014
    Boyhood made me want to enjoy life, to get off the couch and really find what I want to do with my life. It made me want to get out of my house and meet new people. Thanks to this film I´m now really scared of dying knowing that there´s a lot for me to experience.
    I have never been able to relate to a story and its protagonists as much as I did with Boyhood and while some people may find it "boring" or "too long" but for me it was perfect. And the fact that they used the same actors for all the film just adds more to the awesome this film is.
    So thank you everyone who contributed for this. Thank you
  18. Dec 27, 2014
    This film is an absolute masterpiece. Being about the same age as Mason, I found that this film and his story reflects my entire generation. It has its dull moments and its exciting moments throughout this story, but that is what life is; it's subtle at times and game-changing at other times. And if you had to pick one film that showcases life, it's "Boyhood." No matter what age you are,This film is an absolute masterpiece. Being about the same age as Mason, I found that this film and his story reflects my entire generation. It has its dull moments and its exciting moments throughout this story, but that is what life is; it's subtle at times and game-changing at other times. And if you had to pick one film that showcases life, it's "Boyhood." No matter what age you are, you can't help but seeing aspects of your own life in the lives of this family.

These actors put TWELVE years of their lives into the portrayal of these original characters. And if that isn't the performance of a lifetime, I don't know what is. Patricia Arquette deserves the Oscar for Best Supporting Actress for her performance as Olivia, Mason's mother; her acting has a perfect combination of subtlety, realism, and emotional depth.

It was so difficult to put my feelings about this film into words, because it is just that remarkable and revolutionary. Richard Linklater has the right to call this film his "Mona Lisa."
  19. Jan 8, 2015
    Boyhood is a true treat. The audience is taken on a journey as we follow the growth of a boy who becomes a man. As someone who is the same age that Mason would've been, I couldn't believe the realism of the film. Everything about the film is perfect including even a soundtrack that includes hit songs from the different years of Mason's life. Boyhood is a passion project of RichardBoyhood is a true treat. The audience is taken on a journey as we follow the growth of a boy who becomes a man. As someone who is the same age that Mason would've been, I couldn't believe the realism of the film. Everything about the film is perfect including even a soundtrack that includes hit songs from the different years of Mason's life. Boyhood is a passion project of Richard Linklater and it shows in its thorough attention to detail throughout. When I read about Boyhood and its development process I am even more impressed by this film as a whole. The true highlights of the film come from supporting turns of Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette who play their parts of mom and dad to perfection. They both hold the movie together at different points, especially in the earlier parts of the film as they had to work with children that weren't even really acting but just behaving. As the film progresses and Ellar Coltrane adds his own spin to the character of Mason the movie becomes even more of a treat. Linklater gives the audience a great depiction of what it's like to grow up and it works against all odds. Boyhood is a movie that everyone should see. Expand
  20. Jan 12, 2015
    I can’t deny that this is a film one of a kind. I’ve never seen a movie that has so much character development as this one has. It’s just amazing watching how the kid actually grows up and gets older in front of your eyes, and all the acting is pretty great. I can’t imagine all the commitment that everyone had to put in this movie during all those eleven years of shooting. That’s more thanI can’t deny that this is a film one of a kind. I’ve never seen a movie that has so much character development as this one has. It’s just amazing watching how the kid actually grows up and gets older in front of your eyes, and all the acting is pretty great. I can’t imagine all the commitment that everyone had to put in this movie during all those eleven years of shooting. That’s more than enough to go watch this movie one time. Sadly, besides that, the movie is a little boring. Yes, it’s very cool to see the kid get old, but the film itself is not breathtaking. It’s just about a normal kid’s life in the USA, since he is in school, until he goes to college. I’m very happy because I watched this film a first time, but I wouldn’t watch it again. Expand
  21. Jul 28, 2014
    There are some movies that are excellent and then there are some that are ground-breaking. Boyhood is in that rarefied air of the latter. It is important to define what Boyhood is as much as what it isn't. This is not your typical movie of cliff hangers and shocking revelations. This is not a movie of searing performances and of acting the part of some highly unusual character ala Rain ManThere are some movies that are excellent and then there are some that are ground-breaking. Boyhood is in that rarefied air of the latter. It is important to define what Boyhood is as much as what it isn't. This is not your typical movie of cliff hangers and shocking revelations. This is not a movie of searing performances and of acting the part of some highly unusual character ala Rain Man or Raging Bull. This is clearly not a movie of escapism and triumph of good over evil.

This is the movie that Terrence Malik was trying to make when he made his artsy inscrutable Tree of Life. This is an easily accessible story of life in all of its reality without a single bit of artifice used to tell the story. This is also a movie trying to be shown and told through a boy;s eyes. Scenes that are shown and are memorable because that is what would register in the child's eyes at that time and place in their life. The authenticity documented by taking 12 years to film it and accept the changes in the world that would have to fit the storyline can not be replicated in a traditional movie. This gives it the gravitas of a true story and makes it all that much more believable.

The other revelation of this movie is that it should be on some level the story of your life. There has to be some empathy and connection to what you see on screen that is relatable to one's own experiences. This movie is more then a passive watching experience, this is a mirror into ourselves and what the passage of life means to us. The beauty of this movie is that it doesn't have to be the son who you relate to, even though he is the focus. You can be any of the immediate family or none at all and still connect in a visceral way to the characters.

Linklater didn't tell the story of just a boy, he told the story of us all and what can be more engrossing then watch a filmmaker take the time to take snippets of our lives and put it on screen in his own imitable style. We are all much more enriched by having this truly wonderful movie made.
  22. Aug 14, 2014
    great story, but this movie is way too long. i think the same effect could've been the same at two hours. i think this movie is pretty over rated, and the only technical achievement was that it was filmed over time, there really isnt anything mesmerizing here.
  23. Aug 28, 2014
    Richard Linklater created the most realistic representation of high school on film in Dazed & Confused nearly twenty years ago. Now he trumps that with a film that can't even claim to be a facsimile of what it means to grow up, because it actually is documenting over 12 years the same actor as he changes from a child into a man. Years from now people will look back at this movie as aRichard Linklater created the most realistic representation of high school on film in Dazed & Confused nearly twenty years ago. Now he trumps that with a film that can't even claim to be a facsimile of what it means to grow up, because it actually is documenting over 12 years the same actor as he changes from a child into a man. Years from now people will look back at this movie as a record of what it was like to be a child in this new century.
    A perfect time capsule of a film.
  24. Aug 12, 2014
    All in all it was a very interesting movie that provided a unique experience. The length is not necessary. At some point you have to know when the end a movie. Over-hyped.
  25. Aug 15, 2014
    As someone who's around the same age as Mason (21) I really related to his character and the US he was growing up in at the time. The acting across the board is flawless (Patricia Arquette better get some award attention), Linklater's direction is so detailed I kept getting nostalgia whiplashes from the music to the events (summer 2005 HP: Half Blood Prince book release, anyone?), and theAs someone who's around the same age as Mason (21) I really related to his character and the US he was growing up in at the time. The acting across the board is flawless (Patricia Arquette better get some award attention), Linklater's direction is so detailed I kept getting nostalgia whiplashes from the music to the events (summer 2005 HP: Half Blood Prince book release, anyone?), and the dialogue makes all these characters seem fleshed out and real. If anyone's going to have a problem with this film it's the ones who NEED a strong plot (or any plot, really) which the movie doesn't really supply. You're watching a kid grow into a young man through the coarse of a 3 hour movie. Basic drama. It's both about nothing and about everything.
    I feel like Boyhood, much like other films like Avatar and Cloud Atlas, is going to be remembered more for its technical scope and ambition rather than it's narrative. Which is fine for me because I love those films and I feel like this is going to go down as one of my favorite films. It's definitely going to be my favorite of 2014, that I can guarantee!
  26. Aug 9, 2014
    Boyhood is not worthy of a 100 metacritic score, but that doesn't mean that this movie is a mediocre film, because it is absolutely not mediocre. This film is still fantastic. The beginning of the film was easily the best. From the age of 6-14, the movie was a work of art. Powerful, funny, and touching, giving you a sense of great emotion and feeling for Mason Jr. The movie felt worthy ofBoyhood is not worthy of a 100 metacritic score, but that doesn't mean that this movie is a mediocre film, because it is absolutely not mediocre. This film is still fantastic. The beginning of the film was easily the best. From the age of 6-14, the movie was a work of art. Powerful, funny, and touching, giving you a sense of great emotion and feeling for Mason Jr. The movie felt worthy of a 100. However, the second half felt unrealistic, not as emotionally powerful, and less entertaining than the first 1/2 of the film. It felt like a bit of a drag to get through the 15-18 years of Mason Jr.'s life. Linklater should have focused more on the childhood rather than the teenage life. Also, I feel like the length of the film could have been cut about 20 minutes. However, the film was still worth seeing and was very entertaining (at least the first half). Expand
  27. Jul 23, 2014
    12 years in the making sounds like a long time, especially for a movie. Boyhood is a simple movie, but on the grand scheme of things, it has more to it. In the run time of 2 hrs & 45 mins, you get to witness these characters grow up in front of our very eyes. What this movie has is realistic dialogue, great acting, a great score, and the brilliant directing by Richard Linklater. Some may12 years in the making sounds like a long time, especially for a movie. Boyhood is a simple movie, but on the grand scheme of things, it has more to it. In the run time of 2 hrs & 45 mins, you get to witness these characters grow up in front of our very eyes. What this movie has is realistic dialogue, great acting, a great score, and the brilliant directing by Richard Linklater. Some may say this movie could be the best of the year, and it very well could be. GO SEE THIS MOVIE. Expand
  28. Jul 29, 2014
    A unique offering from one of America's most original directors. This is not the sort of film imagined by neophyte filmmakers, stuck on the three act structure with predictable conflicts, crisis points and final resolution. Linklater explores influences that contribute to lives built. It is not merely children who grow and change; the adults central to Boyhood are as different after 12A unique offering from one of America's most original directors. This is not the sort of film imagined by neophyte filmmakers, stuck on the three act structure with predictable conflicts, crisis points and final resolution. Linklater explores influences that contribute to lives built. It is not merely children who grow and change; the adults central to Boyhood are as different after 12 years as their offspring. Linklater allows time to roll by without hitting us with title cards or other obvious signposts. The transitions tend to be subtle, involving, haircuts, music, technology. It's a lengthy film but I found it captivating and fulfilling. Kudos to Linklater but also to IFC Films. Founded in 1999 means that Boyhood has been a work in progress throughout most of its existence. A brave company that does not take the roads most followed. Expand
  29. Jul 31, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a beautiful film..wow.

I am so connected to these characters, almost as if they were real people I grew up with. I am not insane either; I can differentiate reality from a movie. I also relate to the simple fact that Mason is pretty much the same age as me so I grew up in the same, almost exact, time period he did. There were so many Easter eggs, if I can call them that, that I saw in this movie. I was smiling through a lot of this movie. It flashed me back to so many memories of mine.

It is funny how much I relate to this movie because everyone is unique, even if they only have eight categories for selecting roommates, and Mason went down a different road than I did growing up, but we still saw the same signs and hit similar bumps along the way.

This movie is long, and nothing monumental happens. I loved that about this movie. It did not force drama down your throat like a lot of the not-so-good melodramatic T.V. Shows. There are people who want more and more drama in these shows, and sometimes movies, but it just is not real life. Yes, there were some dramatic and big things that happened in Mason’s life, in his perspective we cared for him and sympathized, but these characters were not over-dramatized with romances and other problems like many shows are. That goes back to what I said about these characters feeling so real they pretty much are real people.

The conversations were so smart and eye-opening. There are so many things in this movie that I could talk about; it is so good. I wish I could remember everything it has to say; that is a lot. I immediately want to see it again. There are so many brilliant and clever scenes ranging from being a kid to intellectual conversations.

One thing in particular that I found funny was how they portrayed high school relationships in this movie at first glance. The director showed Mason with his girlfriend as a junior and they were all lovey-dovey, and he made it look like they were meant for each other and what not with conversations, but than he fast-forwarded a year in Mason’s life, and Mason and his girlfriend have broken up and are pretty much done with each other. I thought it was funny how ridiculous can be. No one came right out and said it either they just showed it through time. Well, I mean Mason and his dad talked about it later.

I loved this movie. I provoke you all to see it. Don’t expect a high-octane thriller because obviously it is not. Just relax as you watch this movie. Enjoy what it is trying to say, and I feel like anyone who watches this movie will take something different out of it. There is so much great material in this movie. What a lovely movie. This is an instant classic.
  30. Aug 6, 2014
    What an absolutely beautiful film. I was worried that at 2h 40m and a couple of glasses of wine I'd fall asleep, but the movie was utterly engrossing. There has never been a film that evoked in me such strong memories of growing up, the hopelessness of a childhood depending on parents who constantly get it wrong and the subsequent explosion of feelings as you enter adolescence. With theWhat an absolutely beautiful film. I was worried that at 2h 40m and a couple of glasses of wine I'd fall asleep, but the movie was utterly engrossing. There has never been a film that evoked in me such strong memories of growing up, the hopelessness of a childhood depending on parents who constantly get it wrong and the subsequent explosion of feelings as you enter adolescence. With the exception of Mason's first stepdad, the stereotypical alcoholic husband, every character in the film was very well developed and loveable despite their endless flaws. Indeed, this was this rare breed of film that can increase one's understanding and ability to forgive family members, old lovers and friends who have inevitably caused hurt by being human. The performances from Ellar Coltrane (the boy of the title) and Lorelei Linklater (his sister and also the director's daughter) were faultless, helped by being given two brilliant characters to develop. Definitely going back for another view! Expand
  31. Aug 9, 2014
    This is the type of film that warrants highly individualized reactions. It's clear that the film was made very well and the acting was incredible, but in many cases the viewers will not be able to relate to the content. It was a monumental undertaking and it was pulled off very well. I'm really looking forward to the behind the scenes / director's cut to come out.
  32. Aug 15, 2014
    Richard Linklater weaves magical elements to create a film so silent yet so powerful. A dozen years in the making, the final product is nothing short of sophistication and joy, teaching the viewer to notice and appreciate the little things in life as well as all the people who help you through the difficult times. With Arquette in the lead as the mother who seems to be guiding her childrenRichard Linklater weaves magical elements to create a film so silent yet so powerful. A dozen years in the making, the final product is nothing short of sophistication and joy, teaching the viewer to notice and appreciate the little things in life as well as all the people who help you through the difficult times. With Arquette in the lead as the mother who seems to be guiding her children in the right the path through life as her's spirals in different directions altogether, to Hawke, as the runaway father who learns the responsibility of fatherhood from family (the old and new), one of the greatest strengths of this film lies in the acting talents of its superb cast. The narration and direction fall into the "awards worthy" category, and I truly hope this film gets all the accolades coming its way,as the film truly meets and surpasses all the hype and hoopla surrounding it. Expand
  33. Aug 20, 2014
    There are times when you watch a movie where you feel privileged to experience these characters. Boyhood immerses you fully in the lives of its characters as you see them grow up before your eyes, experiencing real and relatable events. They quickly become like your next door neighbors and you are curious and care what happens to them. It's a testament that life itself doesn't have toThere are times when you watch a movie where you feel privileged to experience these characters. Boyhood immerses you fully in the lives of its characters as you see them grow up before your eyes, experiencing real and relatable events. They quickly become like your next door neighbors and you are curious and care what happens to them. It's a testament that life itself doesn't have to have big moments to be memorable and impactful. Expand
  34. Aug 20, 2014
    It was an okay movie, I enjoyed watching it. But it isnt that great by any stretch. If you've seen any of the Before Sunrise Trilogy you should know what to expect. The implications of the subject matter are preachy, even if I happen to agree with most of what's been said. I'm sure it will win a ton of awards but in my opinion its nothing special.
  35. Aug 14, 2014
    Great movie, it's been a while since a movie stuck with me a few hours after watching. Really taken by the way you felt as if you were watching a family grow apart, back together, and deal with some really tricky issues. Felt as if the actors were actually growing up while watching the movie. I felt like it was what Tree of Life should have been (that one was too strung out and too outGreat movie, it's been a while since a movie stuck with me a few hours after watching. Really taken by the way you felt as if you were watching a family grow apart, back together, and deal with some really tricky issues. Felt as if the actors were actually growing up while watching the movie. I felt like it was what Tree of Life should have been (that one was too strung out and too out there). Boyhood strikes a nice balance between getting deep in feelings and staying in the moment as well.
    [Spoilers ahead]The high-school senior Mason has the most profound realizations, but when he gets to freshman year of college the real relate-able conversations happen: son wanting to get away, mom scared of moving on, and everyone genuinely taking everything in once the last kid leaves the nest.

In summary, will probably buy this movie to experience the feelings over again, almost like recalling them like they happened to me. That's how close it comes to a real human experience.
  36. Aug 2, 2014
    Boyhood, simply put, is a grand cinematic achievement. It chronicles a boy's life over a 12 year period, and the actor is the same the whole movie (they filmed a couple of scenes every year). This is Linklater's best film, as well as his most ambitious. But, it's not a perfect movie; it doesn't tie up every loose end, it doesn't resolve the same way average Hollywood fare usually does.Boyhood, simply put, is a grand cinematic achievement. It chronicles a boy's life over a 12 year period, and the actor is the same the whole movie (they filmed a couple of scenes every year). This is Linklater's best film, as well as his most ambitious. But, it's not a perfect movie; it doesn't tie up every loose end, it doesn't resolve the same way average Hollywood fare usually does. However, that's not how life works: sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, it twists and turns, and not everything comes out the way you wanted it to be. If the movie didn't have flaws, it wouldn't have been as realistic. The movie us touching, and has a hefty emotional payoff. Experience it for yourself; it's well worth it. Expand
  37. Jan 19, 2015
    Okay I may be in the vast minority in this one but I feel Boyhood is tremendously overpraised. It's not, by any means, a bad film, just not nearly as good as most critics claim it is. The problem I have with this film is its glaring lack of substance. There is not a single character in this film that goes through some kind of character arc. The minor changes they undergo are left obscureOkay I may be in the vast minority in this one but I feel Boyhood is tremendously overpraised. It's not, by any means, a bad film, just not nearly as good as most critics claim it is. The problem I have with this film is its glaring lack of substance. There is not a single character in this film that goes through some kind of character arc. The minor changes they undergo are left obscure and there are no hints as to what brought about those changes. None of the characters are likable. The entire film almost is a passive observation of this family's uneventful progression through the years. Although that worked very well in the first half of the movie the second half seemed superfluous. It brings back some of the most overused cliches (honestly if I had a nickel for every time a movie showed the divorced dad as cool and buff and the divorced mother as the complete opposite). The kid actors are great but as they age they seem less and less convincing. The dialogue as well suffers from cranky and mawkish moments. And on top of all that it lacks lacks a narrative structure. If you look at the Tree of Life, which is just as unstructured, Malick took advantage of that and turned it into a meditation on human behavior. Boyhood didn't even attempt to achieve anything of the sort. Tree of Life was poetry; Boyhood is just product. All the reviews I've read so far seem to be obsessed with the concept of the film rather than the final result. To me, Boyhood is yet another film that didn't come close to justifying its overblown hype.

Re:Edit: But now that the hype has settled, I do agree that it's a great film. It explores the notion of growing up, our ethical definitions about what is right and wrong and the truth behind the social "code" for well-being. Mason (Ellar Coltrane) starts of as a young boy who enjoyed spraying paint in the corner of streets and collecting arrow heads. As the film continues he grows into a deep and thought-provoking teenager who's obsessed with understanding human behaviour, the significance of our actions and the value of life itself. He's able to express his emotions though art. Ethan Hawke's character grows responsible and matures as the film progresses. His conversations with Mason transcend from talking about the next Star Wars movie to understanding the purpose of life and living. Patricia Arquette is very very good as the mother obsessed with the idea of "fixing" her family through marriage (and she does marry men of all sorts). She grows up to realise that chasing the conventionality of society is a pipe dream and does not lead to a better life. On the contrary it's a burden to her and her children for the most part.
    Life doesn't have to be perfect. It just needs to be lived.
    The true genius of Boyhood is how it's able to juggle all these characters, in one go and still provide them depth, clarity and most importantly an identity.
    At the end of the movie. Nicole asks Mason if he believes in the expression "seize the moment". Mason replies, "It's the moment that seizes you" and he's absolutely right.
  38. Jul 18, 2014
    Linklater took a huge risk with this film; and it payed dividends; to me one question plagued my mind throughout the last half of the film : How can a this film with almost no plot apart from life itself be so engrossing and emotionally grasping and how can it possibly have an ending ? I don't know if the ending was the greatest , but god damn I loved that it did what it did.

See this film.
  39. Jul 19, 2014
    I have a high tolerance of films where 'not much happens' (for example 'Lost in Translation' or 'The Class') and I like the previous Linklater films 'Before Sunrise' and particularly 'Before Sunset', so if those films leave you cold then perhaps this isn't for you, and possibly this film will most appeal to parents whose children are now adults. That said: 'Boyhood' is now my new favouriteI have a high tolerance of films where 'not much happens' (for example 'Lost in Translation' or 'The Class') and I like the previous Linklater films 'Before Sunrise' and particularly 'Before Sunset', so if those films leave you cold then perhaps this isn't for you, and possibly this film will most appeal to parents whose children are now adults. That said: 'Boyhood' is now my new favourite film. This film allows you to see your own efforts at parenting through the eyes of the children Mason and Samantha who are virtually powerless as their parents make mistake after mistake and force changes upon them - moving state, moving school, moving adults in and out of their lives - the children just gamely get on with the changes in their lives as best they can. One of the film's many strengths is that the four central family members are all depicted as good decent people who are 'Just winging it' as Ethan Hawke says. This film is perhaps a work of art in that an entire fictitious childhood has been created and filmed for us to witness. And just like in a real life, a slight occurrence can be surprisingly moving: seeing your child in his graduation robes, or being acknowledged for 'just being there' and seeing the project of parenthood through. All of life is here, and all coming of age dramas will now struggle to shine in comparison. Expand
  40. Jul 31, 2014
    Saw it for the second time last night. The theater was packed. Though the film is 3 hours long, when the end credits came up, people applauded and sat till the end of the credits.

The first time I saw it, I thought how moving it was. The second time I saw it, I realized how funny it is, full of great lines. I also appreciated even more the performances: Ellar Coltrane is incredible, Patricia Arquette is that rarity: a beautiful and earthy American actress. Ethan Hawke does the best work of his career and Lorelei Linklater has to be one of the funniest kids ever born. She steals every scene she's in.

This movie won't be liked by people who love plot contrivances, OTT acting, explosions, gang warfare, superheroes, monsters, Megan Fox, the list goes on... It will never be forgotten by people who love cinema in its purest form. It will never be forgotten by people who fought with their siblings in the backseats of cars, single mothers who fought like crazy but could never pull off a miracle, deadbeat dads who wish they weren't and by any kid who grew up - ever.

Here's to Richard Linklater, the Texan Truffaut!
  41. Jul 27, 2014
    A great film that evokes the pathos and beauty of life. Even today, this radical, artful, yet simple film moves the viewer as no other film in my memory has had the power to do. Its additive power quietly mounts into a work of 21st century art in a way that far surpasses the typically formulaic or ironic exemplars we normally experience today in movie houses or museums. Betsey Sharkey ofA great film that evokes the pathos and beauty of life. Even today, this radical, artful, yet simple film moves the viewer as no other film in my memory has had the power to do. Its additive power quietly mounts into a work of 21st century art in a way that far surpasses the typically formulaic or ironic exemplars we normally experience today in movie houses or museums. Betsey Sharkey of the LA Times has the most useful analysis and appreciation of the major critics here. Expand
  42. Jul 15, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. -spoiler alert-
    I saw the movie without ever even heard of it during one of my 'Amongst Frieds' evenings (Ketelhuis, Amsterdam, Holland) where they just show you a movie they want you to see for whatever reason. (saw great movies that normaly are not topprio to me, like Enemy and All is lost.)
    Everything is being said about this movie. It's so epic in all it's smallness.
    I only want to ad a few scenes that hit me hard, amongst others:
    The soldier sitting on the porch drinking his beer, after the heroic stories he told the crowd a few years earlier. Normally it's "And then they live happily ever after." Now you see what really happens to a guy.

The moment where mom leaves her teacher/husband with both her kids, but have to leave the other (his) 2 kids behind. That is about the most cruel thing to whitness. Living night and day with the other kids as if they are your own. Ghosh.

And last but not least of course the monologue of mom sitting in her kitchen at the near end. Keeps me thinking...
  43. Jul 31, 2014
    You either get the beauty of this simplistic yet masterpiece which has greater deep meaning layered within the 2 hr and 40 min movie or you don't. Sadly those who don't get this gem of a film are the movie goers who fuel the 80 million dollar opening weekend grosses of "popcorn" mainstream films made for the masses. While there is nothing wrong with supporting those big budget summer typeYou either get the beauty of this simplistic yet masterpiece which has greater deep meaning layered within the 2 hr and 40 min movie or you don't. Sadly those who don't get this gem of a film are the movie goers who fuel the 80 million dollar opening weekend grosses of "popcorn" mainstream films made for the masses. While there is nothing wrong with supporting those big budget summer type flicks, I gotta applaud folks who see and appreciate a movie like Boyhood. I only wish more independent films that make you think we're more commonly made by Hollywood studios. Regardless I thought this movie was absolutely incredible and had a lot to say, a film that has stayed with me now weeks after seeing it. Expand
  44. Sep 8, 2014
    Boyhood sticks with you, and for those who found this dull, boring and about nothing, need to check themselves because this movie is about our everyday lives. This is the most humane movie of the year if I've ever seen one, I feel sorry for you're childhood if you didn't connect with this movie.
  45. Aug 25, 2014
    Incomparable. this film is by no means "perfect" in terms of 'enjoyment from watching', but I think that's the point, it's like a documentary of normal life. It takes on an epic task of recounting childhood linearly with honesty. It may not be as eventful as you wanted, a little dry in places, flat in the ending but if you want an honest portrayal of Westernized coming-of-age then that toIncomparable. this film is by no means "perfect" in terms of 'enjoyment from watching', but I think that's the point, it's like a documentary of normal life. It takes on an epic task of recounting childhood linearly with honesty. It may not be as eventful as you wanted, a little dry in places, flat in the ending but if you want an honest portrayal of Westernized coming-of-age then that to me is pretty close to how it would look. For me, not as emotionally moving as Linklater's other works but leaves you reflective and slightly nostalgic. Expand
  46. Jul 26, 2014
    A brilliantly observed slice of Americana about rites of passage, examining what it means to grow up. As much as I adore 'Before Sunrise', this unique, ambitious work about being a child and becoming an adult might top even that gem. Linklater's auteur traits are authenticity, recognizability and an ability to be moving and resonant in unforced ways. 'Boyhood' triggers our memory, therebyA brilliantly observed slice of Americana about rites of passage, examining what it means to grow up. As much as I adore 'Before Sunrise', this unique, ambitious work about being a child and becoming an adult might top even that gem. Linklater's auteur traits are authenticity, recognizability and an ability to be moving and resonant in unforced ways. 'Boyhood' triggers our memory, thereby (like madeleine cakes and a portion of ratatouille before it) bending time and space, and makes us reflect. Expand
  47. Aug 11, 2014
    Not recommended for short attention spans, adrenaline addicts, lovers of gratuitous sex or violence, car chase scenes, or cheap, sleazy humor. This will painfully bore such people because this film has none of that. In fact, this film doesn't have a story or plot in the traditional film sense. It's simply three hours about a boy, his sister, his mother, his estranged father, and the otherNot recommended for short attention spans, adrenaline addicts, lovers of gratuitous sex or violence, car chase scenes, or cheap, sleazy humor. This will painfully bore such people because this film has none of that. In fact, this film doesn't have a story or plot in the traditional film sense. It's simply three hours about a boy, his sister, his mother, his estranged father, and the other people they encounter in their lives over 12 years, all filmed in real time. Potentially boring to some viewers? Certainly. But I didn't want it to end, and I'll be seeing it for the fifth time tomorrow night. A masterpiece, a miracle, a gorgeous work of art which accomplishes nothing less than transcending the medium of film. I hope Richard Linklater makes a sequel that runs at least through the main character's first divorce... Expand
  48. Jul 14, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The couple of folks that don't "get" this movie, such as Mancunian2014, more than likely aren't familiar with Linklater or simply don't like his other films. Linklater's movies are rarely "plot-driven" with emotional highs and lows. Rather, he explores the significance of everyday moments, and how transcendence and wonder can be found in seemingly mundane incidents. As for the boy, Mason, I found it fascinating that for much of the movie he was introverted and rather hard to "read" while the characters around him (such as his older sister) were much more "out there" and demonstrative. Mason is by nature an observer, which is why it makes sense that he takes up photography. But later in the movie he starts to open up and express his thoughts and feelings, while the other characters became more contained. This was one of the many beauties of the film: documenting not only of the actors' physical changes, but the changes in their characters and personalities over time. And I've known plenty of kids like Mason who on the surface seem shy and inarticulate, but who possess inner depth and imagination.

Simply put, this is simply not a conventional movie, and can't be experienced or viewed in the same way that one would view a typical Hollywood film. I thought "Boyhood" sounded like not much more than a stunt when I first read about it, but the experience of seeing it was for me, overwhelmingly beautiful and moving. It evokes so many memories and reflections of one's own life (as a child, as a parent, as a wife or husband), even as it stays within a very specific, personal world.

So from my perspective, all the professional critics' plaudits are well earned. Linklater has achieved something entirely unique in cinema (Michael Apted's "Up" series notwithstanding), a meditation on the passage of time that points toward the beauty and importance of life's everyday moments.

Then again, I know the vast majority of filmgoers found Malick's "Tree of Life" transcendently beautiful and meaningful, while I thought it was the biggest piece of pretentious crap ever brought to the screen. So it goes with cinema.

I would add that the only reason I didn't give the film a "10" was the reappearance late in the movie of a character that had been influenced by Patricia Arquette's character. This seemed a bit contrived to me, one of the only false notes in the film. But it's a minor quibble about a major, risk-taking work of movie art.
  49. Aug 7, 2014
    A very near perfect film! Watching this film made me flashback to my childhood years all over again! I related to a lot of things in this film, since I also grew up during the 12-year time frame that it took place. I highly commend Richard Linklater for coming up with such a simple, yet daring idea of a boy and his family growing older over the course of 12 years. While the film doesn'tA very near perfect film! Watching this film made me flashback to my childhood years all over again! I related to a lot of things in this film, since I also grew up during the 12-year time frame that it took place. I highly commend Richard Linklater for coming up with such a simple, yet daring idea of a boy and his family growing older over the course of 12 years. While the film doesn't necessarily have any Oscar-worthy performances, everyone does so well with how long it took to make the film. Ellar Coltrane is fun to watch as he grows older and the many different events that unfold around him throughout his life. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette give great and honest performances as his parents. The only weak performance was from Linklater's own daughter Lorelei. Overall, there were a few things in the film that I wish would've been done a little bit differently. For the most part however, it's easily the most heartfelt, honest, and genuine-feeling film I've seen all year so far. As far as I'm concerned, it might as well be considered the quintessential coming-of-age film! Expand
  50. Dec 11, 2014
    With every viewing I become more certain that Boyhood is one of the greatest films ever made. Both an affirmation of the inherent meaningfulness of life and the capacity for film to add to enrich its meaning. A true masterpiece and a subtle emotional roller coaster that cements Linklater as one of the great artists of his generation. Somehow, at almost three hours, it doesn't seem longWith every viewing I become more certain that Boyhood is one of the greatest films ever made. Both an affirmation of the inherent meaningfulness of life and the capacity for film to add to enrich its meaning. A true masterpiece and a subtle emotional roller coaster that cements Linklater as one of the great artists of his generation. Somehow, at almost three hours, it doesn't seem long enough, as not even a lifetime could hold the power and resonance of its participants. Expand
  51. Dec 3, 2014
    When I first heard that there is a movie that took 12 years to shoot, I was amazed as an aspiring filmmaker but I remain a bit worried that the movie is more of a gimmick. When I saw the trailer, I was wrong. And when I saw the movie, I was totally wrong as well. This movie is not a gimmick at all.

Even though this movie felt like a cinematic experience because of the way it was made, this movie felt real. Like this is the realistic film I have ever seen.

The plot of the movie was realistic and well-paced from start to finish. They used the really long 2 hour and 45 minutes length really well. Despite how long it was, when the movie ended I got sad that I won’t see these people ever again because seeing them grow up is like a journey with them.

As this movie’s plot heavily rely on character development, the movie had the most realistic character development ever. It’s like I am watching these people grow up and loving them no matter how much they change.

The script feels amazing in this movie. The dialogues in this movie is also really realistic. They felt like real people talking to each other realistically.

The acting in this movie makes the actors don’t look like they’re actors playing their characters but rather they’re playing themselves and that’s the main factor why the movie felt realistic to me.

The emotional appeal in this movie do not feel manipulative to me. It made me care for the characters without trying too hard to do so. It feels like the actors have real emotions in this movie.

Lastly, the direction from Richard Linklater is amazing in this film. He manages to keep the movie’s quality consistent for each scene for 12 freaking years! I give props to his experimentation value in this movie.

2014 has not ended yet but I think it’s safe to say that Boyhood (for now at least) is the best 2014 film I have ever seen and it’s also the most realistic movie I have ever seen thanks to it’s cinematic experience, well-paced plot, brilliant character development that makes you care about the characters, realistic acting and an amazing direction experimental value from Richard Linklater.
  52. Jul 30, 2014
    I saw this two days ago, so wanted to review and respond to some of the reviews here. I too had a response to the mom's poor choices, but the response was that this story rang so true. Why do people make such bad choices? It was sad that the mother kept choosing the wrong guys and exposing her children to them. It was especially sad because she finally got an education and we thinkI saw this two days ago, so wanted to review and respond to some of the reviews here. I too had a response to the mom's poor choices, but the response was that this story rang so true. Why do people make such bad choices? It was sad that the mother kept choosing the wrong guys and exposing her children to them. It was especially sad because she finally got an education and we think should have known better.

I have a family member that does this so often, you just watch in horror and this is someone who is incredibly talented, smart, and really beautiful. This is the reason this is so good, is that it is so truthful. And I agree that Arquette is fascinating in this. Her acting at the end just doesn't seem to be acting. Great movie, but I would love to watch it at home due to the length.
  53. Aug 3, 2014
    Made me feel nostalgic. Made me laugh. Made me emotional. Made me happy that it felt authentic and not forced. Made me yearn for more; on screen and in my own life. Top notch movie.
  54. Aug 5, 2014
    This movie is spectacular! From the cast to the simplicity of the plot, everything goes in harmony in a way that you just feel like its real. It’s certainly the best movie I’ve ever saw in my 17 years old life (and I’ve seen a lot of them). It made me look at childhood from a different perspective because, before, I was sure my childhood had been a big chunk of my life where I did nothingThis movie is spectacular! From the cast to the simplicity of the plot, everything goes in harmony in a way that you just feel like its real. It’s certainly the best movie I’ve ever saw in my 17 years old life (and I’ve seen a lot of them). It made me look at childhood from a different perspective because, before, I was sure my childhood had been a big chunk of my life where I did nothing incredible but I realized that everything I did was exceptional. From going to a water park to watching a movie with my parents, I realized that, even if I didn’t become a child actor or invent something, my childhood was awesome in all the little things I did. I think that’s what I like the most about ‘’Boyhood’’, It made me think and see childhood from a different perspective. Expand
  55. Sep 16, 2014
    Sometimes movies are bland, boring, rushed and nonsensical. They are made to turn an investment into profit. Other times a story is so rich that is carves a small place in your heart, nudged fondly beside the classics.

And in truth, with no exaggeration, Boyhood is a modern classic. Three months have passed since my first screening as part of NovaStream’s coverage of the Sydney Film

And in truth, with no exaggeration, Boyhood is a modern classic.

Three months have passed since my first screening as part of NovaStream’s coverage of the Sydney Film Festival. Before the film a scruffy teen walked in front of a theatre of thousands and waved awkwardly. The star of the film, Ellar Coltrane, was on another leg of his world tour after widespread acclaim at the Sundance International Film Festival. He didn’t appear to be a rockstar or a bigwig actor. He just seemed like an extremely genuine and humble person. The lights dimmed and he shuffled offstage and did not return.

The acclaim is universal. Rotten Tomatoes awards Boyhood 99%, the same rate as the Wizard of Oz and one step down from Citizen Kane and Toy Story 2 and one above Snow White and the Seven Dwarves. It has won multiple awards at Sundance, SXSW, Berlin, Seattle and San Francisco International Film Festivals. A previous cover photo on the film’s Facebook page lists reviewers quotes beginning with “the best film of the…”. USA Today said the summer, Rolling Stone gave it a year, The Guardian believed a decade and The New York Times stated the century. At the end of the century they may be correct.

Filming occurred usually four days a year over twelve years, with Ellar Coltrane originally portraying a six year old child and gradually growing into an adult on screen. This allows the scope of the film to be far greater and the narrative to flow more authentically, save casting a different actor for the schoolyard scenes and the college scenes. The aesthetic of the film also shifts almost glacially, from fashion to furniture to language to politics. One thing that stood out for me was the technology, progressing from a Gameboy to a PlayStation 3 to an XBOX One seamlessly. Not even the set designers of Downton Abbey could replicate this level of detail.

Many elements of Coltrane’s real-life slipped into the film too, including his first car, his piercings and a bad string of acne he chose not to cover up. Director Richard Linklater (School of Rock) stated he never asked Coltrane to do something he knew the actor hadn’t previously experienced.

The four primary characters are Mason Jr (Ellar Coltrane), his mother Olivia (Medium’s Patricia Arquette), his sister Samantha (Lorelei Linklater, daughter of director Richard Linklater) and Mason Sr (Ethan Hawke, Predestination). Their plot is simple – make it through as best you can with the hand you’ve been dealt.

For Olivia in particular this is heartbreaking as a string of unhealthy and outright dangerous relationships culminates in a confronting scene between herself and Mason. The film is not a depressant though. There are comedy bites here and there and the tone is generally upward, especially in scenes with Mason Sr. Ethan Hawke is a fiercely talented actor and his secondary plot gives his a nice avenue, transforming the musician father with a muscle car into a worker with a minivan. At the beginning of Boyhood the adults are only slightly older than the children at the film’s conclusion. There is definitely a full circle trope going on.

There is an intangible warmth to the film that cannot be assigned to the everyday blockbuster. Each shot looks like a painting and there is an obtuse or inventive shot to enhance the story. The edit is smoother and kinder. A great deal of care went into every detail of this film.

Due to the original filming method the financiers were limited and contracts were zilch. It was the cast’s prerogative each and every year to return and each of the primary cast have called this their ‘cool summer camp’ despite having other films and television shows in progress.

While I would easily rank this inside by top five films of all time, there is one beat that struck me foul. A conversation between Mason and a high school photographer teacher about the difference between potential and actuality was immensely irritating. It felt redundant and shoehorned.

Aside from that, the scope, commitment of all involved, acting talent and direction all make for a compelling adventure. The international releases are still rolling out with Paramount International acquiring the rights to a hopefully broader home release.

Boyhood is screening in limited release now.
  56. Nov 8, 2014
    A magnificent film all together! Experimental and different, Boyhood director Richard Linklater knows how to make a documentary topic into an amazing film, not to mention the excellent screenplay and acting! :-)
  57. Nov 28, 2014
    If you can't already tell by the overwhelming praise this film has received, Richard Linklater has sculpted a masterpiece. Every single second of this movie tells the story of what shaped the main character Mason with suck striking fluidity that has never been achieved in the realm of cinema. I can proudly say I witnessed this masterpiece in theaters and since then have seen it 7 differentIf you can't already tell by the overwhelming praise this film has received, Richard Linklater has sculpted a masterpiece. Every single second of this movie tells the story of what shaped the main character Mason with suck striking fluidity that has never been achieved in the realm of cinema. I can proudly say I witnessed this masterpiece in theaters and since then have seen it 7 different times. Although this movie captures the essence of the American childhood, anybody anywhere can relate to the life of Mason Junior. There is a part in near the beginning of the film where Mason finds a dead bird in his backyard, you can tell just by looking at his face that exactly what the child realized, that nothing anywhere can live forever, no matter how high you can fly. Every performance in the movie is spot-on, Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette seem to learn just as much from Mason Jr. as Mason has learned from them. Speaking personally, I can relate to every seen in this film having grown up with divorced parents and viewing life from a perspective similar to Mason's. Linklater speaks to an entire generation of dreamers and children everywhere. I could take up the entire 5000 character max limit just by talking about the cinematography of the film but I won't bore anyone who actually stuck around this long to read my personal opinion, but I will say this; every child about to graduate high school deserves to sit down with both of their parents (or guardians) and let Linklater take you on a reflective journey of what it really means to grow up. Oh and before I close, 69 people on this website that posted negative reviews and the 22 people that wrote mixed reviews all need TO GET THEIR HEADS OUT OF THEIR ASSES and truly appreciate this work of art for what it really is, LIFE ITSELF. Expand
  58. Jan 16, 2015
    From start to finish, boyhood touches all the empathy notes. Moving at the same pace as real life, and not relying on cheap action tricks, Linklater managed to produce not only an imitation of life, but a testament of what was being a boy of this generation, breaking cultural, racial and social differences.
  59. Jan 17, 2015
    The film's greatest strength arguably lies in how real it feels as you watch it. It takes a simple, but intriguing concept, and utilizes it in the best possible way.
  60. Dec 14, 2014
    "Boyhood" is a film I delayed in seeing because of its 242 minute length and revolutionary but, to me, at the time, unappetizing concept of watching a boy grow over a 12 year period. Nevertheless, on a rainy day in the desert with nothing much else to do, I went to see the film. To my pleasant surprise, my flexibility in viewing choices turned out to be one of the best movie decisions I"Boyhood" is a film I delayed in seeing because of its 242 minute length and revolutionary but, to me, at the time, unappetizing concept of watching a boy grow over a 12 year period. Nevertheless, on a rainy day in the desert with nothing much else to do, I went to see the film. To my pleasant surprise, my flexibility in viewing choices turned out to be one of the best movie decisions I ever made. The film, written and directed by Richard Linklater, is a unique exercise in film making where, for over a 12 year filming period, the same actors continue their roles as mother (Patricia Arquette), father (Ethan Hawke), son, Mason (Ellar Coltrane) and daughter, Samantha (Lorelei Linklater) and we literally watch them all grow and age on screen right before our eyes as if some magic time lapse mechanism was employed. True, the idea of watching family members grow over the years is not especially new except that other projects used different actors to play the same people in different stages of their respective lives. Here, we see the aging of the same actors, not only of the children, but of the parents and other adults as well, as they meet and deal with the various problems that befall them.
    An unexpected result of having the same actors throughout is that it gives the film a legitimacy and authenticity even though it is a work of fiction.
    One marvels at the logistical problems that could have occurred had one or more of the four principal cast members passed away or suffered significant life changes during this 12 year filming span (not to mention coordinating the professional availability of all or any of them throughout this over a decade shoot). I give the film a 9.5 and thank the powers that be for making it rain the day I went to see it. Whether or not you enjoy the film as much as I did, it is worth seeing if, for no other reason, in order to experience the unique and innovative technique it employs.
  61. Sep 6, 2014
    Really interesting film. Like the realistic feel of the film and natural story and dialogue. Feels like life. Good use of product placement to help show passage of time. Really enjoyed the relationships in this film especially the one between the father and the son. Could really connect with the characters especially in the first two thirds. The film is a little choppy at points andReally interesting film. Like the realistic feel of the film and natural story and dialogue. Feels like life. Good use of product placement to help show passage of time. Really enjoyed the relationships in this film especially the one between the father and the son. Could really connect with the characters especially in the first two thirds. The film is a little choppy at points and glosses over certain aspects of characters lives. The low point of the film is the last third which is generic and feels like every other teen movie out there. This is where you feel the films length. Put for what its worth I'm glad I saw it its a unique film that is worth checking out. Expand
  62. Oct 9, 2014
    More of an experience than a movie. It was brilliant to see the cast grow and develop over twelve years. Last year the winner of best picture was 12 Years A Slave seems funny that Boyhood the front runner to this years race had its cast and crew be slaves to the film for 12 years.
  63. Nov 29, 2014
    This much hyped 12-YEARS-A-FILM distils a boy and his family’s 12 years lifetime into a 2h45m feature film is Linklater’s genuine brainchild which silckly blurs the line between documentary and theatrics, finally arrives after the sublime closure of his BEFORE trilogy (BEFORE MIDNIGHT 2013, 9/10), and it is a sure-fire pinnacle in his resilient career with a marked traction into the OscarThis much hyped 12-YEARS-A-FILM distils a boy and his family’s 12 years lifetime into a 2h45m feature film is Linklater’s genuine brainchild which silckly blurs the line between documentary and theatrics, finally arrives after the sublime closure of his BEFORE trilogy (BEFORE MIDNIGHT 2013, 9/10), and it is a sure-fire pinnacle in his resilient career with a marked traction into the Oscar race as one of the front-runners.

In the past 12 years, each year, Linklater assembles the same cast, the centre four are Mason (Coltrane), his divorced parents (Arquette and Hawke) and his elder sister Samantha (Lorelei Linklater), to shoot a string of shorts about their life, mainly Mason’s as the title denotes, which Linklater has scripted before, and when Mason reaches 18, the film ends with his first day in college, signals a finish-line for his boyhood and augurs an unmapped future into adulthood.

continue reading my review on my blog: google cinema omnivore, thanks
  64. Nov 9, 2014
    Boyhood is a journey through one of the most stunning, honest, and brutal time capsules ever made. To see Ellar Coltrane grow up before our eyes... it's one of the most inventive pieces of film in recent history. Richard Linklater has made magic.
  65. Jan 15, 2015
    Boyhood is a really interesting and engrossing movie. I liked how much it felt like real life, and I really appreciated the ambition and time that went into it. Watching this family grow up and grow old together was a completely different movie experience than any I've ever had before. I don't however, think it's as incredible as the hype that came before its release, or the praiseBoyhood is a really interesting and engrossing movie. I liked how much it felt like real life, and I really appreciated the ambition and time that went into it. Watching this family grow up and grow old together was a completely different movie experience than any I've ever had before. I don't however, think it's as incredible as the hype that came before its release, or the praise which came after its release. There are some scenes and ideas in the movie that I can't agree with, especially a few scenes that seem to slightly laugh at Christianity. These scenes take up very little space in the massive running time, but I feel like they should still be addressed. I also think a little more emotion could have went into the movie, and I felt like it ended on a curiously flat note for such an expansive film. But the movie remains a fascinating, affecting, and for the most part, realistic look at life. The acting is solid across the board, with great turns from Hawke and Arcquette, clichés are scarce, and it's a movie that will stick with you for a long time. I also felt like the movie was better for being longer in its running time. Too many movies trying to replicate real life rush by too fast to become completely engrossed. 2014 was a great year for movies. Was Boyhood the best? In my opinion, maybe not, but if it wins best picture, you definitely won't see me complaining. Expand
  66. Dec 14, 2014
    Were one to review Boyhood solely for its cinematic pleasure, it wouldn't make much of a fuss. Actually, I think it would score rather poorly. But that's what I wanted to do, at first: watch this film forgetting the way it's made and meant to be and just measure how good it was that way. Turns out, the "documentary" feeling soon comes into place, sneaking in naturally and unprovoked, untilWere one to review Boyhood solely for its cinematic pleasure, it wouldn't make much of a fuss. Actually, I think it would score rather poorly. But that's what I wanted to do, at first: watch this film forgetting the way it's made and meant to be and just measure how good it was that way. Turns out, the "documentary" feeling soon comes into place, sneaking in naturally and unprovoked, until you realize you're not watching a normal film.

That was the very point of Boyhood, I hope, and it has managed to achieve it quite effortlessly, so much so that it constitutes a huge part of the viewing experience and does so without you having to even know it beforehand.

On the other hand, the script was average and the story setting the writer chose for the life of Mason is quite the anvil, dragging the 10/10 down quite a bit. All that is featured in the film feels very natural, like something that would happen in reality and something you would say in reality. All does, except for the succession of abusive father figures Mason gets. It gave the impression the writers were trying to shove this (I'd say irrelevant) background into your mouth and make you sorry for Mason. Writers, I did feel sorry for Mason, but for other reasons. I also felt angry at you for spoiling what would have otherwise been a thunderous cinematic experiment, and very close to a masterpiece.
  67. Jan 6, 2015
    While respecting the achievement I couldn't help feeling that some of the supporting actors took away from the film. All the pop culture references were perfect and threw me back to my teenage years. No question that Boyhood should be seen and by the end of the film you will really feel the impact of what you watched. A-
  68. Sep 30, 2014
    It's just a simplest story of an American boy growing up..what so special in it..? the story is told in a good way, the cast is same during the whole time period, that's cool..But this doesn't make this movie a legend..!!
  69. Jan 2, 2015
    Boyhood is a coming-of-age drama film 12 years in the making. It´s emotional powerful, dramatic and wonderful.

This is one of the best films that made me think of my own childhood at a big scale, and all the great and bad things that happened during those years. I felt much younger while watching it, while all my memories as a child were popping up in my head. Therefor is this film really good, it gives the people that watch Boyhood something to think about. Boyhood is about a boy from in his early years, to his 18th birthday during an almost three hour film. It totally success with that, without missing anything. Boyhood gives a great insight on our society and how families can look like, and how they change over time. The characters are stunning, especially Mason and his mom. I really felt close to all the characters, mostly Mason. And to see him grow up during this three hour film is wonderful. There are some moments that made me cry, because there have never been another film that show how parenting really works. The film truly is impressive, and one important aspect is that Boyhood is about Mason, and only from his perspective. Another impressive thing is that the film took nearly 12 years to make, and seeing all the characters getting older is so spectacular. Seeing the actors develop at the same time and watch them getting more and more professional is also great. The actors are all incredible in Boyhood, especially Patricia Arquette.

This coming-of-age drama film broke all my expectations, I thought it would be boring, and incredibly slow but I’m so glad that I did watch it. As a big sci-fi fan do I surprisingly like Boyhood. It really is a flawless film. Of course are there some slow scenes, and the ending is a bit to rash. But I still love this film.

Boyhood gets an 7.8/10.
  70. Jan 18, 2015
    The idea and project were dangerous, extremely ambitious, risky, unusual and cleverly original, and proved triumphant results. On the other side, the premise just tries to reflect real life and its undeniable movement, and it shows it at perfection: sweet, moving, happy and sad, but also steady, boring, sometimes tasteless or useless, and common. These are the most importantThe idea and project were dangerous, extremely ambitious, risky, unusual and cleverly original, and proved triumphant results. On the other side, the premise just tries to reflect real life and its undeniable movement, and it shows it at perfection: sweet, moving, happy and sad, but also steady, boring, sometimes tasteless or useless, and common. These are the most important characteristics and, still, the most evident mistakes this movie holds. It's great, but very overrated. Expand
  71. Oct 12, 2014
    You're watching a life develop inside of that screen and everything it carries and accompanies along its development is what you get to learn from it.
  72. Jan 10, 2015
    Good movie. Using the same actors over a 12 year period was very interesting but something was missing. I'm not even sure what it was but it wasn't there.
  73. Jan 4, 2015
    The perfect movie, that's all I can say. The story, the actors, the music, every scene... The feeling it makes me feel is awesome, immersive. Watch it, buy it... doesn't matter the person you are or your taste; you won't feel regretful.
  74. Oct 12, 2014
    Well executed throughout, yet lacking powerful insight or inspiration. Linklaters dialogue is continuously entertaining and interesting and mostly truthful and while the strategy in this filmmaking endeavor is admirable it's not inherently meaningful in the way that it's tone, title and running time seems to suggest.
  75. Aug 17, 2014
    Engaging to the very end

It's a good movie - not great cinema.

Beyond the clever concept, Boyhood is little more than a coming of age film. It is warm and charming and feels very real. I enjoyed my time with these characters.
  76. Mar 3, 2015
    Boyhood through simplicity achieved something that decades of movies didnt: give an unpretentious opinion about humanity and life.
    Congratulations and thank you for this awesome movie.
  77. Sep 5, 2014
    Smart, moving, and profoundly realistic, Boyhood is not just the best picture of the year, but the defining film of a generation.

When someone tells me "words cannot express..." I typically laugh at the absurdity. As a writer, I conceitedly believe that there are always words for everything. However, I must bow to this cliché. Words cannot express what I think of Richard Linklater's Boyhood. Given that it's been a little over 12 hours since I saw the film and I'm still speechless, I ask you to bear with me in this review. I WILL MONOLOGUE! To state that Boyhood is the best film of a year that's not but ¾ of the way through is a stretch, but I find myself limber in this instance. Boyhood is the best film of the year. Now time to stretch some more... Boyhood is the best film of the decade. Still limber. No stretching needed. This movie is THAT incredible.

It all began with an innovative idea from the already innovative Richard Linklater. What if we see a family grow and age through the eyes of a child? And what if we shot it in real-time? From there a spark was ignited and eventually came to a glorious flame. We do see a family age, for 12 years! This idea is already a selling point for the film, but then throw in Mr. Linklater's usual touch of heart and authenticity and you'll have something undeniably special. You'll have an intimate epic. A film that is so large in a technical scale, and equally large in emotional sale is something hardly seen. Especially in the past 12 years. So when Boyhood premiered at the Sundance Film Festival, there was a lot hype. And this excitement hasn't expired after several months. Instead it has grown. It has travelled through America crafting an astute reputation for the film to follow. So for film-goers like myself, who live in small, un-artistic towns, find ourselves overwhelmed with praise for a film we must wait for. And we did. I personally waited a full month-and-a-half for this film to hit El Paso. But 6 weeks is nothing compared to 12 years, so I shall cease my complaining. Instead I shall say this, Boyhood's reputation precedes itself.

To scrutinize the plot would be to write an 11-15 page review. There is so much going on within each year of the film that the 12 year story is impossible to break down into a simple synopsis. After the first 12-15 minutes of the movie, the film cuts to a new year, 2003, and we find the characters have moved on from the last. This process is continued t

There is something so psychologically groundbreaking about this film. Never before has a film been so relatable, so memorable, and so poignant. As each year appears on the screen, we the audience subconsciously immerse ourselves into the same time period. We recall what we thought and did in that year, and find ourselves nostalgic. This feeling is especially effective for members of Mason's generation, like myself. We recall the same thought patters and experiences Mason goes through as we went through them. With this intimacy, we find ourselves reliving our childhood. This beautiful feeling is something no other film has caused. This is why Boyhood is so groundbreaking, because it is able to captivate its audience and allow us to have a relationship with it. What Mr. Linklater has done is not only craft a work of art, but allow the audience to view the crafting of the work of art. Brick by brick, line by line, side by side, for anybody involved in this film, whether it be the filmmakers or the audience members, there is an intimate, one-on-one feeling that transcends both time and reality. And for that, we are indebted to the filmmakers. Being Mason's age myself, I find Boyhood to be a very special film that is incredibly close to my heart. As I sat in the theater, watching Mason head off to college, I suddenly realized that that was me. I too had just transitioned into adulthood, and started a new chapter in my life.

Epic in both a technical and an emotional scope, Boyhood defines a generation by allowing the audience to go on their own intimate journey with the characters. Though the film is a rough 3 hours long, you feel as if it lasts the whole 12 years, simply because you are reliving the period yourself. And when it ends, you feel that the whole 12 years was a simple 3 hours, because life's that fast. Boyhood is the type of movie you don't want to end because there is something so deep in the connection it made with you. To stretch again... Boyhood is the best film of the year. Boyhood is the best film of the decade. Boyhood is one the greatest films in the history of cinema. This I can say with no reservation. Boyhood is one of the most unique, personal, and authentic films I have ever encountered. A true classic.
  78. Aug 25, 2014
    Great film. I loved almost everything about it. I wasn't as much about the end as I was with the rest of the film, but it was overall amazing. Would definitely recommend.
  79. Oct 3, 2014
    For those of you who don’t know by this time, Richard Linklater’s film Boyhood started principal photography 12 years ago. And, over the course of those 12 years, Richard Linklater kept returning to his actors, Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, his real-life daughter Lorelei Linklater, and new-comer Ellar Coltrane, who was 6 years old when the filming started, to craft a story over timeFor those of you who don’t know by this time, Richard Linklater’s film Boyhood started principal photography 12 years ago. And, over the course of those 12 years, Richard Linklater kept returning to his actors, Ethan Hawke, Patricia Arquette, his real-life daughter Lorelei Linklater, and new-comer Ellar Coltrane, who was 6 years old when the filming started, to craft a story over time about the challenges of a family growing up and changing as the parents try to survive and raise their children in the world. The film is long, clocking in at almost three hours.
    The act of filming a story over 12 years creates challenges of its own that standard film schedules avoid. And one of the most remarkable things of the film is the manner in which passing time and the aging of the characters has been handled. There are no jarring jump cuts forward in time. No supers imposed on the screen to tell us it’s 2004. Or 2008. No jump cuts into the middle of the expected and well-worn rites of passage, the traditional indicators that mark the progression of life. High School graduation, College, first loves. There is so much more as each sequence slips into the next that the aging of the characters becoming almost incidental.
    This is not a film that is concerned with the paradigms of Hollywood story structure as taught by screenwriting books. This is a film whose story structure and form has more in common with a documentary than it does with the traditional form of family drama. This is not the family dramas of the fifties and the sixties wherein some dark family secret has to be exorcised out from the family closet and dragged into the light of truth. This is a family drama that doesn’t plays itself out so much as just piles itself on event by event in continuous layers. Quite possibly, docudrama has finally found its true definition.
    The film’s story starts with Olivia (Patricia Arquette) struggling as a single mother to bring up and support her two young children, Mason and Samantha. Money is always an issue for this young family and, in the opening of the film, it is clear the children’s father is absent. The issues of the material well being of the family are contrasted and played out against the family’s emotional needs and well being.
    Mason Sr. returns from working in Alaska after being absent for a year and a half. The true nature of Mason Sr.’s role as the children’s father during his year and a half absence seems to be left intentionally ambiguous. The clashes between the two parents early in the film over past issues are also left deliberately vague. The mother and father don't play out the roles of protagonist and antagonist as they fight over their children. Richard Linklater has deliberately avoided that in favor of a storyline that is much broader than those story strictures would allow. It isn’t easy to pick a villain and a hero between the parents in this story. There are other villains that appear and disappear throughout the long arc of this film but the parents seem to grow closer and develop a respect for each other as they pursue independent lives.
    This isn’t a story where the main character has a dream and pursues it. This is a story where characters have their dreams and must abandon them for their own good and the good of others.
    It is evident that Mason’s father comes to maturation slowly. He is still a “boy” in the beginning of the film struggling to hold onto his adolescent ambitions of being a song writer and a musician while the demands of fatherhood pressure him to give up that pursuit . In the end, the best he can do is hand down the remnants of his adolescent ambitions to his son.But even in Mason Sr.’s delayed growth to full adulthood, there is value to be had. The still-alive boy in Mason Sr. allows him to connect to his children emotionally in a very vital and important way.
    His willingness and demand to connect to his children on their emotional level and to feed his own emotional needs with theirs contrasts sharply with the disciplinarian and authoritarian figures of Mason’s stepfathers.
    In this, the destructive power of misunderstood masculinity is on display in the role of fatherhood.
    There is a dramatic circular parallel between Mason Sr. and Mason Jr. at the end of the film because all of this may well be the same for Mason. We leave Mason at the end of the film at the age of 18, one foot still in boyhood and one foot firmly on the path of his adult life. He is now studying to be a photographer in College and it remains to be seen as to whether or not he will be able to pursue his artistic ambitions or will he repeat the cycle of his father, relenting his artistic ambitions late in life by the necessities of survival.
  80. Jan 15, 2015
    Wonderful and full of life. Boyhood is a movie that explores perfectly a life of a child through his adolescence, the problems that arise and virtues in his life. It's also perfect for exploring the lifestyle of the middle class people of America. As I said, very good movie, perfectly made and worthy of recognition and many awards. (91 - 100)
  81. Jan 16, 2015
    An impeccable movie you'll never regret watching twice.
    A real pearl inside the oyster of the world cinema.
    Undoubtedly, that is the best picture of the real flow of life ever made.
  82. Jan 14, 2015
    I saw this movie because of all the hype, and while it is pretty fascinating to see the kids grow up in the film and be played by the same people, that's basically all the film has going for it. The story, while not necessarily bad, isn't particularly interesting either. It's just the life of a boy, and many scenes will leave you wondering "what was the point of showing that?".

It's

It's worth seeing for the novelty of being shot over 12 years, but that's about it.
  83. Nov 22, 2014
    the film is very well put together and is a remarkable achievement in film making and i'll admit is a good movie and i enjoyed it but i would like a bit more of an actual plot rather than the concept of life itself. it has very good dialogue and the charters very well played i feel like this is a real family. but i felt it was too long and with little plot i didn't feel as invested as i could be
  84. Dec 17, 2014
    Maravillosa, impresionante y excelente, Boyhood es una película que sin duda quedará en la historia, es una increíble inspección al crecimiento de la mayoría de los niños hoy en día. Además también cuenta con un muy talentoso elenco que ofrecen actuaciones de primera.
  85. Jan 19, 2015
    Probably the most realistic family movie ever made. You literally grow up with the actors as the movie took 12 years to make and you can see a huge transition in the actor's ages. Boyhood is an instant and heartwarming classic that tells a grand story about a boy's life. 9/10 (Awesome)
  86. Jan 6, 2015
    una gran pelicula, con condimentos de todo tipo, mas alla del formato, nuevo y la paciencia de todo el elenco mas el director que innovo en todo sentido, muy recomendable.
  87. Feb 22, 2015
    It's probably one of the most, if not the most ambitious indie film in recent memory. It has a very natural feel to it, almost like watching a documentary, without being boring. It's definitely a film that I enjoyed watching immensely. Well done Linklater, well done.
  88. Jul 12, 2014
    For whatever reason, nuanced observations about the particularities of growing up in this generation has never really been captured honestly in modern film. Thankfully, Richard Linklater had been working on an entire film of it for twelve years.

And although the approach of how this film was meticulously crafted makes for an intriguing initial selling point, it's about the furthest thing from your mind when watching BOYHOOD. What the method actually achieves is a richness of detail and passion that, in any given moment, can evoke melancholy, longing, love, laughter, regret, tears, smiles, and any other of the multitudes of words that come to mind in the experience of youth, and in reflection upon it. One doesn't even need to have grown up in a similar setting or time frame to Mason, our unsuspecting hero here. Regardless of the context of any of these characters' actions, it all feels like it's coming from a place of familiarity. Little looks, lines or cues will trigger your own achingly personal memories of the past — a fleeting time you wish you could do over again but would make the experience less beautiful. This is the most thorough immersion into another life seen in cinema since Satyajit Ray's APU TRILOGY (to me, the finest cinematic achievement in history).

Through Mason's eyes, you can see plenty happening in the stories of girlhood, motherhood, and fatherhood unfolding around him. Patricia Arquette gives the marquee performance of the film as the young mother who grows away from the father of her children and takes on a string of abusive husbands as she tries to make life better for children. It's a common story for a lot of single mothers in this country in this day and age, but it's rare to see ANY female role of this depth and magnitude. It also bears mentioning that any of the narrative elements throughout the film that seem even perhaps OVERLY familiar — divorce, alcoholic father-figures, conservative stereotypes, peer pressure, whatever — have the effect in this film of only showcasing its sincerity more. There's a reason these elements are seen as cliche, and BOYHOOD does a remarkable job at grounding what are common American experiences in sense of truthfulness.

I give this film five stars, rather easily, although I don't consider it a film without flaws. I think it was perfectly possible to trim the film a bit more, Mason himself is less likable in his later years and some scenes just worked for me better than others. But the film earns my full heart as all these things are in the service of a greater great. It's the intricate collection of 12 years of memories in carefully curated scenes, good and bad, happy or sad, significant or insignificant, that paint a picture of a life in a way. It's scattered, it's varied, it's precisely how we look at and feel our own lives over time and Richard Linklater has gotten closer to that in this film than any other filmmaker to date.
  89. Jul 11, 2014
    Brilliant film everything you read or here about this film is true and so much more i am not even going to say anything about it just needed to give it at 10 and to say go and see it you will love it .
  90. Aug 13, 2014
    You probably know the unique concept: This film blends real time and fiction as it looks in on the maturation of a boy and his family for 12 years, as he literally grows on camera. The time progress seamlessly, as life's everyday interactions take place between his family and friends. There are some landmarks, but more often it's the understated, mundane moments that blend into a quietlyYou probably know the unique concept: This film blends real time and fiction as it looks in on the maturation of a boy and his family for 12 years, as he literally grows on camera. The time progress seamlessly, as life's everyday interactions take place between his family and friends. There are some landmarks, but more often it's the understated, mundane moments that blend into a quietly powerful portrait. Director Richard Linklater mines humor and emotion in the seemingly ordinary dialogue and the passage of minor cultural landmarks. The performances are uniformly natural and completely compelling. Even at 2:45, every minute captivates as only true life can. A modest masterpiece. Expand
  91. Jul 14, 2014
    This film didn't really live up to the critics reviews for me. Its a great concept and parts of the film are interesting but it just went on, and on, and on. You can draw parallels with your own experiences in places, but for the most part is a pretty uneventful story apart from a few key scenes.

For me the concept would have worked much better if it followed an actual family, and recorded their moments rather than being a series of set pieces played by actors, some of which you can relate to in your own life and those of your children and your parents. Its a great concept and an interesting film, but I thought it didn't really live up to the wide acclaim the film has been given.
  92. Jul 22, 2014
    This is one of those films that isn't just important in the context of filmmaking, but it's also essential in the context of what life is. Life is really memories strung together and woven into a single thread; you don't get anything different from this daring film. Some of the scenes are hard-hitting and when you finally reach the end of the film, you'll realize its importance. AnThis is one of those films that isn't just important in the context of filmmaking, but it's also essential in the context of what life is. Life is really memories strung together and woven into a single thread; you don't get anything different from this daring film. Some of the scenes are hard-hitting and when you finally reach the end of the film, you'll realize its importance. An absolute gem from filmmaker Richard Linklater. Expand
  93. Aug 23, 2014
    An instant classic. This groundbreaking film brought to us by Richard Linklater is an emotional story of a dysfunctional family, all revolving around the boy. Filmed over 12 years, the transitions from year to year in the film are recognized by the different looks of the actors and the music that plays from each year. Best of the year so far. Truly amazing.
  94. Aug 27, 2014
    Once in a while a film comes along that not only makes you step back and look at the way movies are made, but forces you to reflect on how your own life is unfolding; Boyhood is one such film. Boyhood took 12 years to create, and the unique storytelling style is a refreshing break from many recently released movies.

Boyhood tells the story of a family going through a string of

Boyhood tells the story of a family going through a string of milestones. The film is easy to relate to because many of us are currently experiencing, or have already reached, each of these phases.

As time goes on, the film grows with the characters, further captivating the audience. Scenes mature along with the cast, gradually becoming more intimate and open. The vision, dedication and follow-through it took to create such an epic project is clearly evident on screen. We’ve had some great films come out in 2014, but nothing even remotely close to Boyhood. The film-making technique that is showcased in this piece of art is truly something special.

As for Boyhood’s near three hour runtime, I would change nothing. The few minor complaints I had during the movie were washed away after seeing the perfection in this touching story.

Boyhood is easily the best film of the year, a masterpiece I wish every person could experience. It’s a life-impacting creation, and when people ask me, “What’s one of your favorite movies?” I will reply Boyhood, for years to come.
  95. Aug 20, 2014
    Absolutely spectacular. The film itself is genius--- same actors over 12 years. You as the viewer are able to experience the same people grow, discover, and learn just as you have and continue to do. This film displays events and characteristics that absolutely anyone of any niche, background, or culture can relate to--- domestic abuse, failed marriages, step-parents, single parenting,Absolutely spectacular. The film itself is genius--- same actors over 12 years. You as the viewer are able to experience the same people grow, discover, and learn just as you have and continue to do. This film displays events and characteristics that absolutely anyone of any niche, background, or culture can relate to--- domestic abuse, failed marriages, step-parents, single parenting, sexual growth, intellectual growth, moral discovery, curiosity, failure, laziness, motivation, and much more. This film is the perfect representation of the modern Western struggle, which differs greatly from that of other cultures. I give this film a well-deserving 10/10. This film was not meant to be action packed with unrealistic events; that is not the point. It is an honest experience that people should watch to relate to. Expand
  96. Aug 13, 2014
    It's hard to award this movie less than a perfect score, even though it isn't a perfect movie. It works so well for what it is, and is such a thoroughly enjoyable work of art, that it should be impervious to the judgment you'd pass on a normal film. As it stands, Boyhood is a collection of mostly great scenes which cause you to laugh, tear up, or reflect on your own life. I saw theIt's hard to award this movie less than a perfect score, even though it isn't a perfect movie. It works so well for what it is, and is such a thoroughly enjoyable work of art, that it should be impervious to the judgment you'd pass on a normal film. As it stands, Boyhood is a collection of mostly great scenes which cause you to laugh, tear up, or reflect on your own life. I saw the movie with my my sister and after it was all over she said to me "That was mostly a comedy." And to my surprise I agreed. But all the humor is so organic that it sneaks up on you, and I could say the same for the dramatic bits as well. Expand
  97. Jul 24, 2014
    Richard Liknlater's unique experimental film about one boy's evolution into adulthood is a long but engaging coming of age story. Shot over a period of 12 years, and calling on the same cast each time, it is a risky enterprise that could have failed in numerous ways. To Linklater's good fortune his cast are uniformly excellent. As the boy under scrutiny Ellar Coltrane acts naturally andRichard Liknlater's unique experimental film about one boy's evolution into adulthood is a long but engaging coming of age story. Shot over a period of 12 years, and calling on the same cast each time, it is a risky enterprise that could have failed in numerous ways. To Linklater's good fortune his cast are uniformly excellent. As the boy under scrutiny Ellar Coltrane acts naturally and even though the story and his character, Mason, are fictional there is a sense that one is watching the real person evolve. Ethan Hawke and Patricia Arquette (so this is where she's been) are totally convincing as the parents 'winging it'. Arquette's rant 'I thought there would be more!' probably mirrors the reactions of audiences who will not warm to the film's general lack of outlandish drama and sudden time switches. Others, like myself, will find these subtle transitions make the picture feel fluid.

Despite seeming a long watch I don't know where any cuts could reasonably be made to make it more manageable, even though a lot more time is given over to Mason's later teenage years when he is dating and contemplating college. The screenplay, whilst lacking a lot of dramatic incident, has a lot of social/political points to make and Mason becomes the mouthpiece for many of these. At times one gets the impression that what he is saying really represents another, more mature, person's views. However, the writing is intelligent and people of all ages will be able to recognise situations and identify or empathise with the characters experiencing them.

After his enduring 'Before' series Richard Linklater has done it again in producing a film that, whilst it may not be the masterpiece exalted by the critics, is never the less a unique and ground breaking evocation of one ordinary boy's journey through childhood.
  98. Jan 18, 2015
    For me it doesn't get much better than this. Zero melodrama. No annoying crescendos. Just some poignant moments in people's life. Nothing added. Nothing taken away. Fantastic writing!
  99. Sep 19, 2014
    Life is a crazy thing. It's not something that can be properly represented by words, or even a picture. However, 'Boyhood' is the closest we'll ever get to that hopelessly distant reality. We're talking about a film so encapsulated by reality that ,as a member of the audience, we feel as if we're looking over our shoulders into a life that we once had, like a forgotten dream on the tip ofLife is a crazy thing. It's not something that can be properly represented by words, or even a picture. However, 'Boyhood' is the closest we'll ever get to that hopelessly distant reality. We're talking about a film so encapsulated by reality that ,as a member of the audience, we feel as if we're looking over our shoulders into a life that we once had, like a forgotten dream on the tip of our tongues. We follow the subtly changing life of a growing boy as he wrestles with the most fundamental questions in life. For every second we watch of the film, we're rewarded with quiet (yet brilliant) wisdom that looms over every frame of the movie. Ferociously philosophical, reflective and unforgettable, 'Boyhood' is a provocative meditation on the nature of life and reality as we know it. Expand
  100. Aug 1, 2014
    I'd give this film a 96/100. It is a film like no other. There isn't a story or a plot. The feeling this film will give you is so difficult to describe. The best I can do is to say that it's almost the exact same feeling I get when I'm laying down in my bed and reminiscing about my own life. When I first got done watching the film, I didn't think much of it, but it crept up on me, inI'd give this film a 96/100. It is a film like no other. There isn't a story or a plot. The feeling this film will give you is so difficult to describe. The best I can do is to say that it's almost the exact same feeling I get when I'm laying down in my bed and reminiscing about my own life. When I first got done watching the film, I didn't think much of it, but it crept up on me, in much the same way that our memories and nostalgia creep up on us when we are daydreaming. There is no take-away message, no feel-good story, no unrealistic drama -- it is a screenshot of life itself (as boring as that might seem on a surface level), and in this way, it's one of the most unique films, if not the most unique, in tonality, story and character. In short, this is a snapshot of life and I believe that it will leave a mark on cinema for a long time. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Lawrence Toppman
    Feb 7, 2015
    There’s not a great theme, a great performance or even a great scene in Boyhood. But I think it might be a great picture.
  2. Reviewed by: James Berardinelli
    Aug 9, 2014
    When it's over, the sense is one of deep satisfaction - of having gotten to know a family in a way few motion pictures allow.
  3. Reviewed by: Mike Scott
    Aug 7, 2014
    The greatest movies, the ones that stick with us, are those that hold up a mirror to the human condition and reflect something back at us that we too often manage to overlook. Boyhood is one of those movies, and with it Linklater proves he is among the best practitioners of that art.