Brave

7.3

1. Jul 2, 2012
    Gorgeous, but shallow. While visually stunning -- Pixar really outdid themselves with the animation -- the storyline is cliched and unremarkable. There are some great moments, but this film isn't nearly as moving as some of Pixar's other works. The voice acting is solid, the music is great, but they could have done so much more with the story.
  2. Jun 24, 2012
    Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar.Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar. This movie is a fairy tale and you get the feeling you've seen it a hundred times before as you watch it. They even copied the Irish accents from "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek". It has some humor in it, but not much, and the overall look of the film was dark although I saw it in 3D which admittedly darkens the screen a little. I would rank it higher than "The Princess and the Frog", but WAY lower than "Tangled" (a Disney Masterpiece) if comparing to other Princess movies. If comparing to other Pixar films it would be the second worse right before Cars2. This makes two mediocre films in a row for Pixar. Hopefully they will rebound on the next film. Expand
  3. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been dreading writing this down. Specially when it comes to Pixar. I have loved every single one of their movies. Even Cars. Not that it was their strongest suit. But everywhere else, I always walked out of the movie theater being thankful this company came together. It's one of those you know extra care goes in to make things abnormally special.
    Not with this one. I can't put my
    Not with this one. I can't put my finger on it. The trailer was amazing. I knew I had to see this thing. I had my enormous popcorn and even larger soda. All was going according to plan. And then a bear showed up... Yes. A bear... interestingly enough the people I went to see this with loved the bear thing. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. What the heck does someone turning into bear have to do with being brave in life. Ok, so the girl needs to be less selfish and follow her mother's dictate. As most children should. I'm with you there. But in the story they seem to promote that when you go out of your way to change your future against the establishment things turn out for the worst. I gotta say, I'm not down with that. If anything, the girl was selfish for involving her mother in her own rebellious attitude, that about the only message I see here... But, a bear?
    I did feel a couple of emotional moments. These guys know how to get you. They've done it enough times. And there is no doubt that the graphics get better and better. Take a close look at that girl's red hair. I can't imagine animating and rendering that thing.
    Truth be told, I am yet to come across anyone that felt the movie was below par. Everyone is recommending it, and, actually, so do I. Go see it. You won't be disappointed... I will say, though, this is no Wally. Now, that one, is more like what I expect of Pixar.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, Brave is too thinly plotted to be on the level of animated films like "Up" and "Toy Story 3". Sure, Cars 2 may not have the charm of previous pixar shows, but at least the plot knew where it was going. Brave is a risk that doesn't pay off because Merida doesn't get the narrative she deserves. Merida is a great character, but she deserves more than this.
  5. Jul 13, 2012
    Brave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fightBrave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fight for their rights, speak up for what they want, decide which path to follow, live well without a husband and be able to raise a family on their own.
    Another interesting thing about this film is the title and the ironic situation that hides, because Merida is brave, she fights with weapons, climbs cliffs and waterfalls and fights against wild animals. Although in order to change from girl to woman, she must be brave, but of another kind, which means brave to take her own decisions knowing and accepting the consequences, to honor the will of her parents and to ensure the good of her people.
    The problem in the plot is the relationship with the mother, which occurs because nor Merida or Elinor listen to what the other have to say. The queen does not trust the ability of her daughter and Merida is blind by her stubbornness. So Merida must change the fate, look inside, mend the bond torn by pride.
    Finally, the images of Brave are amazing, the characters, the landscapes, the animals and especially the hair of Merida which is astonishing, totally worth the creation of a new software.
  6. Jul 2, 2012
    hmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i didhmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i did not come to the movie to see graphics. i came for a story, however, i did not get that as much as it was promised. the add showed the funniest and most action filled moments. with kind of changed my expectations in the movie. so don't come into it expecting a comedy, or an action film. expect a Disney story. Expand
  7. Dec 12, 2012
    Sure, 'Brave' has stunning animation. What else? By that I mean: What else is there that we haven't seen before, but have come to expect from Pixar? Exactly. This is a mild animation entry that certainly is worth your money, but maybe not your time. It's great to look at. Your kids will love it. But the majority of moviegoers have lived long enough to be able to demand more from a featureSure, 'Brave' has stunning animation. What else? By that I mean: What else is there that we haven't seen before, but have come to expect from Pixar? Exactly. This is a mild animation entry that certainly is worth your money, but maybe not your time. It's great to look at. Your kids will love it. But the majority of moviegoers have lived long enough to be able to demand more from a feature than something neatly packaged, while remaining hollow deep down. Admittedly, there are glimpses into the movie that could of been, or was at least imagined to be, but 'Brave' isn't it. In fact, while nowhere near as horrible as 'Cars 2', it stands as one of Pixar's laziest efforts. Expand
  8. Jan 18, 2013
    The trailer made it look like it had a really good story but then goes of some random tangent, lost our interest. Probably Pixar's worst movie! skip this one.
  9. Apr 19, 2013
    I don't know why this film rated PG. Bear violence? This should be given an R rating! Nah, just kidding. But however, boys won't like this film like me, and if you expect another masterwork from Pixar, you will be dissapointed.
  10. Jun 25, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I was looking forward to a great movie, but Brave is very bland. The main heroine is a very unlikeable character, because she's very selfish and even seeks harm to her own mother. All the male characters are bumbling idiots and can't even comprehend something that's being yelled in their face 5 times in a row. The main bear character, withoutI was really disappointed with this film. I was looking forward to a great movie, but Brave is very bland. The main heroine is a very unlikeable character, because she's very selfish and even seeks harm to her own mother. All the male characters are bumbling idiots and can't even comprehend something that's being yelled in their face 5 times in a row. The main bear character, without giving away too much about the story, is very repetitive in its manerisms. All the main characters are very unlikeable... and when you reach the point where you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them. The only positives I can say about this film is that the computer graphics were amazing to look at, and the witch and triplets were entertaining (but only had a combined 15 minutes of screen time). I'm sure kids will love this movie, especially little girls who want to see a strong female character. However, for the adult crowd that appreciates a family film that includes feeling and humor, this movie missed the mark by a mile. Expand
  11. Jul 28, 2012
    I thought 'Brave was an okay movie, but it was not as good as 'Up' or 'Toy Story' or several other Pixar films. One of the flaws (which can also be seen as a positive - I'll explain later) is that there is no clearly defined villain. As with a lot of other Disney/Pixar films, the memorable villains often end up stealing the show. The lack of one in 'Brave' really hurts the already kind ofI thought 'Brave was an okay movie, but it was not as good as 'Up' or 'Toy Story' or several other Pixar films. One of the flaws (which can also be seen as a positive - I'll explain later) is that there is no clearly defined villain. As with a lot of other Disney/Pixar films, the memorable villains often end up stealing the show. The lack of one in 'Brave' really hurts the already kind of boring main story. That is the other flaw of 'Brave'...the story. To be simple, it's boring. However, 'Brave' does have some good things going for it. Where the film really excelled was in it's breaking from tradition. I really appreciated that the main character was female and that she did not fill any of the typical 'female hero' molds. She was not overly tough or overly 'girly', she was a normal human being. As mentioned before, there also really isn't a clearly defined antagonist. This can also be seen as a positive. Every character has a good and a bad side and 'Brave' does a great job in recognizing that. To sum it all up, this is not Pixar's best, but if you have a daughter I would highly suggest taking her to see it. Other than that, the film's opening short 'La Luna' was the highlight for me. Expand
  12. Jul 2, 2012
    I give this movie a 5 because I feel it had a very mediocre plot and screenwriting. It just felt so 'on-par' as if it was written by a team of experts on how-to-make-successful-films. The emotional scenes are forced... the comedy is slapstick and shallow... one of the jokes felt pulled directly out of the Shrek franchise- You'll know it when you see it.

Overall lack of depth and

Overall lack of depth and effort. It is way too easy to use animation like autotune to mask what is actually an "O-Kay" movie as a masterpiece.
  13. Jul 17, 2012
    Brave is a very strange movie!! It takes off straight out the gate, then introduces its story, throws in way too much slapstick and then its all over. I sat thinking...'what just happened'. The story is very weak and the whole premise is ridiculous!!Pixar seems to have gotten lazier as there waists have gotten bigger. Dont get me wrong, its amazingly beautiful and the cgi is incredible,Brave is a very strange movie!! It takes off straight out the gate, then introduces its story, throws in way too much slapstick and then its all over. I sat thinking...'what just happened'. The story is very weak and the whole premise is ridiculous!!Pixar seems to have gotten lazier as there waists have gotten bigger. Dont get me wrong, its amazingly beautiful and the cgi is incredible, but the story is boring and could have been told by any other studio!! Maybe Pixars magic couldnt last forever...its a pity but was great while it lasted!! Expand
  14. Jun 30, 2012
    This movie looks wonderful. Unfortunately, that is all it has going for it. Ultimately, Brave is an empty experience. The problem with it lies in the fact that it doesn't really have a point; it has no heart. It feels like they just kind of made a movie without any real thought to how to make it a story worth telling.
  15. Aug 16, 2012
    I enjoy watching Pixar movies with my kids - they're original, appealing to adults and kids alike, and above all fun. I just didn't get this one, I found myself bored mostly, which was a big of a surprise, though it would've been far more of one if I hadn't read some reviews beforehand. IMO, compared to How to train your Dragon, this is a distant second. When you actually compare theI enjoy watching Pixar movies with my kids - they're original, appealing to adults and kids alike, and above all fun. I just didn't get this one, I found myself bored mostly, which was a big of a surprise, though it would've been far more of one if I hadn't read some reviews beforehand. IMO, compared to How to train your Dragon, this is a distant second. When you actually compare the characters of those two movies, it's genuinely a shock to find Pixar being the one to roll out such one-dimensional, shallow characters. In How/Dragon the characters have far more depth and like-ability. Expand
  16. Jul 1, 2012
    Meh!

This does NOT feel like a Pixar movie. It feels like a Dreamworks movie, with less schticky humor. I thought it would have the animation style of Tangled... but Tangled had better animation and 3D models. Not impressed. It's Pixar doing Dreamworks animation and barely making the cut.
  17. Jun 26, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What does Merida do that is so brave? She scurries around looking for the witch Expand
  18. Jun 24, 2012
    There was much potential in this movie, having hilariously designed people in kilts, a beatiful selection for scenery, a well animated protaganist that doesn't want to be a princess.

But the story was a significant let down. This is not some bias decision I have made in spite of the designers, or in let down of being over hyped, this seems to also be a general feel for the people whom I have talked with who have also seen the movie.
  19. Dec 9, 2012
    It looks as beautiful as you expect it to be and the story is top notch but Disney's influence is clear. It's a bit too sickeningly sweet in places. It's a safe film, nothing off the wall or unique/intriguing about it like Wall-E or Up. I couldn't sit through it all.
  20. Jan 9, 2013
    Brave, as to expected from Pixar, is a visually stunning animated family film with fluid action scenes and a great sense of immersion into this film's created world. The plot of reforging a bond between mother and daughter was undeniably sweet but came across a slightly cliched -- the rebellious child going off and making deals with a witch (The Little Mermaid, anyone?). One of my mainBrave, as to expected from Pixar, is a visually stunning animated family film with fluid action scenes and a great sense of immersion into this film's created world. The plot of reforging a bond between mother and daughter was undeniably sweet but came across a slightly cliched -- the rebellious child going off and making deals with a witch (The Little Mermaid, anyone?). One of my main issues was Merida -- her character design seemed to be a bit off. Whilst her hair was amazing and I understand the effort the animators went through to give life to those wildfire-red curls, I parsed over the 2D concept art and believe she would have been transferred to the screen better in a medium that wasn't 3D. Dialogue wise, some of the Scottish accents seem to have been softened so that audiences could understand -- this does not majorly detract from the film, but it irked me slightly. The humour was a tad generic at times (Her brothers and father) -- but these are all sidenotes. Merida and her mother and the adventure they go through are this film's selling points and their dialogue, interactions, their hardships and their overarching story are indeed touching and entertaining. Watch this film as a standalone movie and you won't be disappointed -- try holding it up to Pixar's greats and you might be. Expand
  21. Jul 5, 2012
    Unlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the womenUnlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the women characters are not much better. Also, it's damn boring. Expand
  22. Sep 12, 2012
    Brave is visually lush but lacks the spark that an Animated film needs to stand out. It's also quite run of the mill and wouldn't feel out of place as an eighties disney movie. Its not terrible by any stretch but while Pixar has a strong history of Kids movies that are just as enjoyable for adults, Brave is best left to the kids (and nothing wrong with that)
  23. Nov 29, 2012
    Kind of a disappointment when I watched Brave. I didnt enjoy the animations, I was looking forward to high detailed computer animations. But the background trees were very genertic looking. Close ups, were done very well. The accents really annoyed me as well! They should of made the story more of a fantasy as well.
  24. Jul 6, 2012
    This is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story isThis is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story is compelling, many of the familiar Pixar elements are in short supply: enjoyable supporting characters, clever humor and dazzling visuals (Merida's hair is the star of the movie). While the audience (young and old) seemed rapt, I found there to be too much dialogue and not enough fun. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for one final punchline. Expand
  25. Jan 4, 2013
    I was a little curious about this movie, but yet was excited to see it because I love Pixar. The trailer looked pretty good and seemed like an adventure film about a Princess that loves archery. It looks like an awesome adventure and would seem like a kick ass Princess film. However, it wasn't exactly as adventuress as I thought it would be, it was more like a typical Princess story withI was a little curious about this movie, but yet was excited to see it because I love Pixar. The trailer looked pretty good and seemed like an adventure film about a Princess that loves archery. It looks like an awesome adventure and would seem like a kick ass Princess film. However, it wasn't exactly as adventuress as I thought it would be, it was more like a typical Princess story with its parental problems like before from Disney. But I still don't think it is a bad one, yet its not as strong as I hoped. The animation was beautiful, even the Princess's design was pretty cool. I also like the characters like the father / King, I love that guy. He was funny, lovable, memorable, and such a great character. I also like the Princess herself, she was cliche'd a bit but not in a bad way. The three little sons were hilarious. The thing that kind of was a little disappointing was the story. Again, I was expecting an epic adventure, but it was more to grow the connection with the Princess and Queen. The Queen turns into a bear and won't change back till the broken relation is fixed. It's not a bad story, but I was expecting a little more. I think Brave was pretty decent and enjoyable, but its sadly not the Strongest from Pixar. But its still pretty good, I'd give it a chance to check it out. Expand
  26. Aug 8, 2012
    Let's keep this review nice and simple. It is a delightful film about the importance of family, but with a very simple plot line. There really wasn't any protagonist to cause any conflict that really kept me absorbed. It is a nice movie with a predictable ending; nothing more.
  27. Aug 5, 2012
    Brave isn't a typical Pixar film, in fact it plays more like a Disney Animation with its traditional storyline and tales of morality. I will go further to say that this approach, along with its fairy tale-like setting, felt like something from a Brothers Grimm collection. Its not as inventive as most of the other pixar films, but the well told story, positive message and the heartfeltBrave isn't a typical Pixar film, in fact it plays more like a Disney Animation with its traditional storyline and tales of morality. I will go further to say that this approach, along with its fairy tale-like setting, felt like something from a Brothers Grimm collection. Its not as inventive as most of the other pixar films, but the well told story, positive message and the heartfelt climax almost compensates. Its filled with wild bursts energy and is never short on humor, thanks to the striking action pieces and beautifully animated characters. Brave boasts a great sound palette and mix, and fantastic voice acting from a primarily Scottish cast. I yearned for more creative ambition in this film, but it was good none the less, and never short on depth. In the end it is not Pixars finest efforts, but it certainly wasn't there worse. Expand
  28. Jul 31, 2012
    Brave is one of Pixar's best looking movies but overall one of their weakest. Always to goofy and never as emotionally investing as could have been, and with Pixar, it should have been.
  29. Mar 15, 2013
    I liked this movie, but up against other Pixar movies it falls short. The beginning of this movie is the best part, but when the twist happens and the story comes together it kind of goes down hill.
  30. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superficial tripe and missed opportunity to explore the main character! Movie goes south when mom is turned into a bear! Safe non-threatening Pixar output! Expand
  31. Aug 16, 2013
    Unimpressed with this lackluster effort from pixar. It is about the similar storyline, a princess, a threat and a happy ever after. Boring, and fell asleep in parts, nothing was memorable or interesting, not pixar's best. Probably disliked this because i am a teenage boy, but you like if you are a small girl though. Not one for boys.
  32. Oct 7, 2013
    It lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother'sIt lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother's character are frustrating to watch and its climax flat-lines. Merida wields a bow & arrow but not once does she use it for proper situations. Her character is sparingly approached and absent of anything memorable of her. The movie felt rushed and unpolished. It could've been done so much better. Expand
  33. Mar 22, 2014
    brave is a okay animated film . to much a mother and daughter fight in an animated film sort of like peabody and sherman . but this not like it . this film is a irish jig film thats whats cool about it Grade D
  34. Jun 22, 2014
    Brave was my most anticipated movie of 2012. Its trailers showed us something new, something serious from Pixar. I even though it would outshine all Disney princess movie ever. This movie clearly suffered from Brenda Chapman's departure as the firs half of the movie feels serious and promising and the other half is just a mediocre kiddie flick. I thought it was going to be Pixar's How toBrave was my most anticipated movie of 2012. Its trailers showed us something new, something serious from Pixar. I even though it would outshine all Disney princess movie ever. This movie clearly suffered from Brenda Chapman's departure as the firs half of the movie feels serious and promising and the other half is just a mediocre kiddie flick. I thought it was going to be Pixar's How to Train Your Dragon. Merida is a very good character, but her transformation through the movie didn't feel right. The animation is gorgeous and the voice work is very accurate and very respectful to Scottish culture.The twists and turns made this movie feel like The Brother Bear 3. Expand
  35. Jun 28, 2013
    The first half of this movie is awesome. The protagonist is cool and unique, the setting is great, and the portrayal of all the characters is hilarious. The movie seems to get better and better, up to the point where I said, "hey, this is one of Pixar's best movies yet".

But then it happened. Bears. That's right, bears. At that point, the movie turns into a predictable and

But then it happened. Bears.
    That's right, bears. At that point, the movie turns into a predictable and uninteresting child's movie. Every plot point is easy to guess, the characters are less cool, and the story just seems to die. The second half of the movie is like a giant kick in the nuts to the first half, and it really just kills the movie.

That's why I'm giving a 5/10. The first half was great (5/5) and the second half was abysmal (0/5).
  36. May 10, 2014
    This was the second not-so-good Pixar movie in a row: Cars 2 being the first. And I personally liked Cars 2 better, so that should tell you something. This, I thought, would be a story about adventure and mystery...but it turned out to be a generic story about a rebellious-and-adventurous princess whose mother wants her to be more princess-y, whereas she wants to be able to do what sheThis was the second not-so-good Pixar movie in a row: Cars 2 being the first. And I personally liked Cars 2 better, so that should tell you something. This, I thought, would be a story about adventure and mystery...but it turned out to be a generic story about a rebellious-and-adventurous princess whose mother wants her to be more princess-y, whereas she wants to be able to do what she wants, and when she runs away after a fight, she finds a witch that turns her into a bear. There are some good parts, like when the bear-mother starts to have to fight to be able to stay human vs giving in to being a bear, and there are some funny characters, like the girl's 3 triplet brothers and the father,but it's just overall a let-down. Expand
  37. Oct 31, 2013
    when i heard about this film for the first time i thought that it isn't going to be so bad as cars 2 was,but i thought that it wouldn't be so close of terms of quality.
  38. Mar 3, 2014
    A safe, average Pixar film which conjures up the usual emotions with its usual plot. It contains some rather surprisingly mature humour and also some good music, and voice acting (although it took me a good few times to register the name Merida as not them exclaiming "murder" every so often) but with its short running time, Brave will make you want and expect more and it doesn't totally deliver.
  39. Oct 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just NO. Uninspired. Mother turning into a bear...Come on -.-'' Teenage drama and not a good one. I just wish thy thought a little bit more abut it, it could have been some much better. It's a shame. Expand
  40. Oct 13, 2014
    It's just okay, the story is alright but nothing new or original. I do like the idea of a more manly female protagonist instead of just the typical Disney princess that people are quite use to, the other characters are also pretty interesting and like able. Although some parts do drag on a bit and can get boring. Overall Brave is okay, a step up from Cars 2, but not by much.
  41. Apr 24, 2015
    At first glance, Brave seems much like an old-fashioned animated Disney princess film done using new-fangled technology. Most of the elements are in place: the plucky heroine, the faithful animal companion, a mysterious wizard, and a character-building journey. There are even a few songs. Looking deeper, however, there's something missing: narrative momentum. The thinly-written storylineAt first glance, Brave seems much like an old-fashioned animated Disney princess film done using new-fangled technology. Most of the elements are in place: the plucky heroine, the faithful animal companion, a mysterious wizard, and a character-building journey. There are even a few songs. Looking deeper, however, there's something missing: narrative momentum. The thinly-written storyline takes us on an adventure, to be sure, but not necessarily one viewers will be interested in taking. The tone is uneven and more often morose than joyful. The pacing is slow and at times almost tedious. The end result is something that feels like it was put together from a jumble of Disney clichés tacked onto the skeleton of Beauty and the Beast.

The lack of both a romantic element and a real villain is only part of the problem. Another issue is that the lead character, the wild, arrow-shooting, red-headed Princess Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald) is more of a brat than a spunky, strong-willed girl. Okay, there's a fine line but, for the most part, Disney has managed to stay on the right side of it. Watching Merida, the only thing I could think is that her parents indulged her too much. As the movie progresses, we see that's true of her blustering father, King Fergus (Billy Connolly), who lets her get away with just about anything. Her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson), tries to lay down the law but ends up being turned into a bear for her troubles. The spoiled Merida, not liking to be constrained by Mom's rules (especially the one about marrying a prince), finds a witch and obtains magic that, when applied, results in Elinor becoming bear-able. The rest of the movie is spent trying to reverse the spell before Big Game Hunter Fergus inadvertently kills his wife.

Something sad has happened within Pixar. With Brave as a lackluster follow-up to the misfire of Cars 2, they seem to be spinning their wheels. Gone is the magic they infused in great films like The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, WALL*E, and the Toy Storys. Gone are the days when movie-lovers of all ages could celebrate the release of a new Pixar feature. They have fallen back to the pack, and maybe even slipped a little behind. Even Brave's staunchest defenders will grudgingly admit that this is "lesser Pixar." Artistically, despite its catalog of flaws, Brave is superior to Madagascar 3, but kids will prefer the latter for its color, its spectacle, and its cheerfulness. Curiously, Brave is neither fish nor fowl. It lacks a strong appeal to kids (too slow, too dark, too long) and adults (too superficial, not well written). The "Disney" and "Pixar" names assure an audience but it's hard to imagine Brave generating a lot of enthusiasm. Its final numbers will likely be closer to those of Cars 2 than Up.

With computer animated films circa 2012, it's almost pointless to talk about the "look." Ten or fifteen years ago, we marveled at the level of subtlety and detail in movie like this. Now, the playing field is level. Nearly all animated films - whether from Fox, Pixar, Dreamworks, Warner Brothers, or someone else - boast the same polished appearance. Brave uses a dark pallet but it appears neither better nor worse than Madagascar 3 or The Lorax. (Time to insert my obligatory 3-D verdict: don't bother. Not the greatest - it dims an already dark movie and there is blur during scenes where there's a lot of movement.)

Early in its genesis, Brave was being touted as "the first animated film directed by a woman." That woman, Brenda Chapman, didn't make it all the way through the production, being replaced by Mark Andrews part-way through due to "creative differences." Maybe that in part explains Brave's meandering approach and tone. Chapman, who is still credited as both a co-director and a co-writer, previously worked on the story for 1991's Beauty and the Beast and appears to have used pieces of that film as an inspiration here. The climax, in fact, is almost a direct steal (with Mom standing in for Prince Charming). In the end, Brave could have used a little of the Beauty and the Beast magic.

Brave is preceded by the charming Pixar short, "La Luna," which is ultimately more worth the price of admission than the feature.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.