Brave

7.4

1. Jul 6, 2012
    This is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story isThis is the first animation from Pixar with a female in the lead. Merida is a young Scottish princess, who would rather ride her horse and shoot arrows than do girlie stuff. When it's time for suitors, she protests, flees and causes a spell that upends her world. While the title suggests a bold, daring action film, that's not the case. This is a tale of inner bravery. While the story is compelling, many of the familiar Pixar elements are in short supply: enjoyable supporting characters, clever humor and dazzling visuals (Merida's hair is the star of the movie). While the audience (young and old) seemed rapt, I found there to be too much dialogue and not enough fun. NOTE: Stay thru the credits for one final punchline. Expand
  2. Jan 26, 2013
    Pixar has done it again. This movie is simply magical, and great for families. It's beautifully animated, has excellent voice acting, and a heart-warming story. I have to admit after watching Cars 2 I was a little worried that this movie might flop, but Pixar has once again struck gold.
  3. Nov 28, 2012
    It may not be as impressive as other Pixar adventures, but "Brave" still survives with its charming animation and storytelling.
  4. Mar 15, 2013
    I liked this movie, but up against other Pixar movies it falls short. The beginning of this movie is the best part, but when the twist happens and the story comes together it kind of goes down hill.
  5. Mar 22, 2014
    brave is a okay animated film . to much a mother and daughter fight in an animated film sort of like peabody and sherman . but this not like it . this film is a irish jig film thats whats cool about it Grade D
  6. Jan 18, 2016
    I get it. Some people have problems with Pixar during this movie, but 2012 was an improvement for Pixar ever since Cars 2 turned down on all Pixar fans out there... but who really cares? Brave proves that Pixar doesn't give up at all.
  7. Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, Brave is too thinly plotted to be on the level of animated films like "Up" and "Toy Story 3". Sure, Cars 2 may not have the charm of previous pixar shows, but at least the plot knew where it was going. Brave is a risk that doesn't pay off because Merida doesn't get the narrative she deserves. Merida is a great character, but she deserves more than this.
  8. Dec 11, 2012
    Inadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has aInadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has a much more important and instructive obligation other than merely an entertainment for the toddlers and above). Coincidentally both films' heroines are princess (Rapunzel in TANGLED and a Scottish Merida in BRAVE), adapted from Grimm Brothers' tale, TANGLED is supremely reminiscent of Disney's other established princess analogs trapped in a magic world, let's say Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, what's more, there will always be a prince-charming to deserve and requite her love. Wisely Rapunzel's Flynn Rider has been sizeably modernized as a reckless, self-mocking yet conservatively "Disney" prince with a thief background. But in BRAVE, Merida is a much more radical rebel by blood, she doesn't have or need a prince with white horse (the film doesn't care to proffer one since all her tribe suitors are one-of-a-kind wackos), she is fighting against her predestined life path which her mother has arranged for her and her status has requested her, a tad thread-bone notwithstanding, but chronicling with a single-linear arc, the mother-daughter predicament has slipped to the hanging-by-a-thread situation when a magic spell transfigures the Queen's appearance into a bear which cannot be recanted after the second sunrise, therefore, instigates an intimate bonding phase for the two, viscerally the mutual love only exudes when something unusual happens, while living in the mundane life, we are all suffering and grated by the love with a insurmountable generation gap. Rapunzel, on the other hand, her main barrier is the ultimate breakthrough from her "mother" Gothel (a greatly overlooked Donna Murphy), who raises her and locks her up in the tower for 18 years, treats her as her own out of a selfish but very understandable motivation (to rejuvenate her youth), but out of any sequential transition, all of a sudden Rapunzel miraculously remember her princess identity (she was taken away when she was an infant, so I doubt there is any memory there, more like an implausible epiphany or actually a screenwriter's block), what's more unbelievably awkward is that she immediately snarls back to her "mother" as if all the recollections of Gothel's evil scheme has been replayed in front of her eyes and she has been tortured for all that year long (actually she is fairly happy and content alone with her cutesy chameleon) , which I deem as a child's play, very much panders to its core audience of pre-school demography. So, from a vantage point under the contemporary context, BRAVE is far more daring and enthralling from its "no guts no glory" premise, it is able to identify with a way broader audience, which is also the main ingredient of the winsome recipe "why Pixar can keep excelling all its peers (if not itself) on the top-tier of the hierarchy", in spite of that on a technical level, all the major animation studios in Hollywood (DREAMWORKS, BLUE SKY STUDIOS, etc.) are almost equally cutting-edge. Music is Disney's strong suit, the first half of TANGLED is a conventional musical showcase, culminating the saccharine romance with the Oscar-nominated theme-song I SEE THE LIGHT, fusing with an intoxicating lanterns-all-over-the-sky spectacle, this has always been the tactic to emit Disney's overblown sentimentality, I am certain it is no longer an all-age proof method now. In BRAVE, although Kelly Macdonald and Emma Thompson's heavy Scottish accents do not get along with my ears, the exotic score and tunes are generally agreeable, and what's more admirable, it doesn't steal the thunder of the film per se. Honestly speaking after the astonishingly-acclaimed WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10), I automatically skipped last years CAR 2 (2011), BRAVE is a left-field choice, the scale of the story has been slimmed down to a quite unimaginable mother-daughter clash, even grafting it on the most platitudinous soil of a princess's tale. But by good fortune, the film doesn't smear Pixar's paramount reputation, Merida goes through a well-deployed rite-of-passage and the sub-plots such as the blue wisps, the ancient lore of the discontent brother and the witch's hut are all positioned into the right niche to uplift the mythology and idiosyncrasy of the film. As for TANGLED, Disney will never relinquish its tradition (otherwise Walt Disney will definitely be jumping inside his tomb), and it is also an exquisitely-made piece of work, just unfortunately paled by comparison by BRAVE since there is no sparks glittering and all the chirpy happiness seems synthetic and a bit stale. Expand
  9. Dec 5, 2015
    "Brave " is a fresh, fun and colorful history , which from the beginning have to be brave at all, as I we showed in this great Pixar movie, It is demostred.
  10. Feb 3, 2013
    Overall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I sawOverall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I saw this year it was still good. If you want to see a film with a female protagonist set in Irealnd with decent story and characters check Brave out. While I cannot gurantee you will love this film as much Up or Toy Story 3 you will at least like it and who knows maybe you will love it more than I did because this is a good film. Expand
  11. Jun 22, 2012
    Brave is a simple story, but told with such depth and magic it is hard not to love this movie. It isn't the studios best but it sure is great. Wonderfully voice acted by Kelly McDonald and the rest of the cast. And it is expertly and beautifully animated with wonderful detail. It is funny, emotionally resonant, and altogether beautiful. I give this movie 95%.
  12. Apr 3, 2013
    While Brave is certainly smarter than your average animated film, it nonetheless lacks the charm that permeates nearly every other Pixar film. It's still a very solid film that features some fantastic voice work, but Pixar has yet to return to its true form of masterful animation filmmaking.
  13. Apr 17, 2013
    Its difficult to come away from a Pixar film and not be blown away, I haven't seen Cars 2 and therefore can't comment on its mixed reaction, but even the first Cars film had me in awe, and while Brave is one of the funniest entries in Pixar's gleaming list of accolades, while still an excellent film, it doesn't fit well with their other movies and seems very Disney oriented, with variousIts difficult to come away from a Pixar film and not be blown away, I haven't seen Cars 2 and therefore can't comment on its mixed reaction, but even the first Cars film had me in awe, and while Brave is one of the funniest entries in Pixar's gleaming list of accolades, while still an excellent film, it doesn't fit well with their other movies and seems very Disney oriented, with various call outs to the typical Disney genre, the witch, the bears the princess etc.
    With a Scottish backdrop, Brave is told at a time of magical fantasy with kings, queens and castles, and when flaming red-haired teenager Merida (Kelly MacDonald) tries to be her own person, she comes into conflict with her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson) who wants her daughter to be raised the traditional way.
    Brave kicked off proceedings with a very nervy and edgy start, but a start that didn't seem to develop, we see Merida making a fool out of all her potential husbands with a bow and arrow, but nothing seems to develop from her skill with such a weapon, and although the plot that unfolds is pretty thoughtful and detailed, it always seems like the film was started to lead into something different.
    The message within the film refers to the relationship between Merida and her mother, but again this never seems to have time to make enough of an emotional impact to justify the climax of the film.
    Saying that though, Merida is a very intriguing and interesting character, and it was certainly a nice change to see a perhaps male-dominated generation to be upstaged by this flame-haired princess and skilled heroine.
    As usual, Pixar continue to push out the most breathtaking an beautifully animated films in recent memory, and Brave is no exception. The Scottish Highlands are the perfect backdrop for the fairytale feel of a film, with rapturous bagpipe tunes to set the tone of the film and show off its true beauty.
    Comedy-wise, it doesn't disappoint, with Merida's younger brothers, triplets, being the funniest of them all, playing their pranks whether it is with their father or cake stealing off a maid, the humour, topped with the accent, makes for a wonderfully funny 90 mins.
    Yes, 90 mins (if not less) and it does certainly seem so as the film does seem to speed its way through, but although the truly unique feel of a Pixar film perhaps isn't in full force with Brave, there is enough laughter and enough visual spectacle, along with an excellent voice cast that make this enjoyable, if not solely for the adult wanting a previous Pixar effort, then certainly the children.
  14. Nov 29, 2012
    I thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seemI thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seem more accurate. Also, the previews didn't do a very good job at representing the movie. The previews made it seem like the protagonist, Merida, would become overwhelmed and then run away from home. During this adventure, she would "find herself" by overcoming various obstacles during the course of the film. While this was partly true, the "adventure" lasted about 5 minutes and didn't lead her to any form of self discovery. Instead, she ended up back home and the path the movie took from here wasn't all that entertaining. The movie looked incredible and the voice acting was great but the plot just didn't unfold in the way I thought it should've. Still, this was a very good movie that the whole family can enjoy. Expand
  15. Nov 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This time, it's Kelly Macdonald's turn to be the princess, the future queen of Scotland. As Merida, she gets to be brave, but brave how? In Elizabeth, Macdonald plays Isabel Knollys, one of the then-princess' girlfriends, first glimpsed in a meadow, where she climbs off a horse and joins the idling others, who stop their dancing in order to greet the future queen's rival. Elizabeth, meanwhile, undulates alone, pretending not to notice the male presence. Whereas Merida grabs the reigns of her own horse, Isabel needs a man to do the riding, Elizabeth's man, the Earl of Leicester, who would later marry the lesser wench, while "The Virgin Queen", a Protestant, was busy antagonizing the Catholics. Unlike Elizabeth, the reluctant princess' formative years is distinguished by the obfuscation of a love interest and friends, both male, and more pointedly, female. It's a filmic calibration, calculatedly so. Instead of a true love, a man without the pedigree to marry a princess, Merida has a bow; no beau at all, no analog to Elizabeth's earl. Brave, despite its comic tempering, can't quite obscure the fact that Merida hatches a murder plot against the queen. Elinor, due to her interpellation into a patriarchal structure, turns a deaf ear to Merida's plea that she "just listen". The mother is too preoccupied with her daughter's betrothal, thereby circumventing an open dialogue about the redhead's lesbianism. At the outset of Brave, a transfiguration is suggested, when Merida, as a wee lass, encounters a will-o'-the-wisp while retrieving an errant arrow. According to lore, this floating body of blue light is reputed to drive people off safe paths. Metaphorically speaking, as life journeys go, heterosexuality, for a princess and future queen, would seem to be a less complicated road. Marry, and live happily ever after. Merida, however, is no storybook princess. At the archery contest, she declares, "I'll be shooting for my own hand," and afterwards, in the castle, the proto-feminist ranting persists, as the victorious princess, proud of her performative emancipation, tells Elinor, "I'm not going to be like you," before charging off into the woods on her horse. By perchance, the will-o'-the-wisp returns, finding the lost girl at her most vulnerable. Intuiting what Merida wants, the spirit leads the princess to a witch, who then concocts an elixir, a cake, with the power to "change" the queen(into a corpse?). As Elinor writhes and spasms, her daughter sits bedside, oblivious to the potentiality of her mother's death. The girl's overriding concern is that the queen should remand her impending nuptials. She tries to coax some last words out of the queen before the poison takes effect. But unexpectedly, Elinor turns into a bear, causing Merida to remark, "The witch must have given me a gamy spell." These seemingly benevolent words are double-edged, treacherous words that the audience, who presumes the heroine to be good, will vault past, never once entertaining the notion that the tainted cake was meant to kill. After all, it's a children's film. Scan the castle interiors; scan the crowd at the playing field for a girl, a peasant, perhaps, a secret lover who has to escape detection from the parental royals.The cake, and the violence which proceeds its consumption by a matriarchal figure, recalls Heavenly Creatures, when Pauline tells her mother to take the last pastry, to "treat yourself", just before the girls murder Honora Parker. With mom out of the way, Paulie thinks her fate is changed; she and Juliet(first seen dressed as a princess) can now be together. "She doesn't seem to "bear" us any grudge," Juliet says, as the torrid lovers make their last-minute preparations. Neither does Elinor, who adjusts to her new form in record time. That's because she's one, too: a lesbian. While searching for the sprite, Merida lets loose a Freudian slip of sorts, shouting, "Fine, don't come out while my mom is watching." She knows, though; the father, too, about them both. Later, back at the castle, the king tells Merida, "Just like your mom, you devil." He knows that the bear is his wife; he believes Merida. Only as a beast, a monster, can he justifiably kill his gay queen. "Don't let her out!" the king barks out at the housekeeper, or else he'll have to kill Merida, too, bear or not. Brave, in essence, is Mulan with kilts. Even more sexually confused than her Scottish counterpart, only in drag, as Ping, can Mulan love Li Shang. She too is leery about marriage. "When will my reflection show, who I am inside," the cross-dresser sings. Subconsciously, she purposefully sets the matchmaker on fire. But alas, to be a dutiful daughter, Mulan will marry the handsome captain, and please her tradition-bound parents. Merida, however, has other ideas. Like Joan, who passes on sailing to Kiloran in "I Know Where I'm Going", Merida, too, stays on dry land for love. Expand
  16. Feb 5, 2013
    Of all the Pixar films, this one has me REALLY conflicted as to my opinion of it. The first 30 minutes set up a movie that looks to be something of legend. Then, it goes all Disney on me!? Totally changing the narrative to something else completely. A real shame. Had it continued the way it was going, it would have been phenomenal. But, that mild disappointment aside: It still manages toOf all the Pixar films, this one has me REALLY conflicted as to my opinion of it. The first 30 minutes set up a movie that looks to be something of legend. Then, it goes all Disney on me!? Totally changing the narrative to something else completely. A real shame. Had it continued the way it was going, it would have been phenomenal. But, that mild disappointment aside: It still manages to be very charming and delivers a movie worthy of Disney Pixar. If anything this is the first Pixar film I can say is a perfect example of the two studios working together as one. Animation is spectacular. Voice acting is excellent. Writing is. Is! Is? A little disjointed but that aside still rather charming. Overall: A real shame that the movie wasn't "Brave" enough to be a bit more daring and take the leap that it looked like it was going to. Still, the Disney route was still allot of fun too. Expand
  17. Jun 24, 2012
    Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar.Remember when Disney announced a couple of years ago that "Tangled" would be their last Princess movie? They lied, or Pixar didn't get the memo. Here is yet another. Even though I didn't care for the "Cars" sequel from last year, at least it was still original. This movie worries me because there is nothing original about it, and originality is what I have always loved about Pixar. This movie is a fairy tale and you get the feeling you've seen it a hundred times before as you watch it. They even copied the Irish accents from "How to Train Your Dragon" and "Shrek". It has some humor in it, but not much, and the overall look of the film was dark although I saw it in 3D which admittedly darkens the screen a little. I would rank it higher than "The Princess and the Frog", but WAY lower than "Tangled" (a Disney Masterpiece) if comparing to other Princess movies. If comparing to other Pixar films it would be the second worse right before Cars2. This makes two mediocre films in a row for Pixar. Hopefully they will rebound on the next film. Expand
  18. Dec 23, 2014
    Disney rarely fails with their films, and "Brave" -- a beautifully animated, mostly funny and intelligently scripted motion picture -- proves that.

7.5/10.
  19. Mar 12, 2015
    The film has some emotional push and pull, but often feels a tad predictable and confined in terms of story. It opens with some nice dilation between scenes of nicely done mother-daughter drama and scenes marvelously chaotic slapstick and action, which had me interested, but the film didn't leave me totally satisfied as previous Pixar works have.

I'd say the visuals were stunning, and

I'd say the visuals were stunning, and the heroine was well-designed as opposed to most of what we see from studios like Dreamworks (no disrespect intended), and the scenery was lovely. I only wish that there had been a little bit more to it in terms of story.
  20. Mar 8, 2014
    "Brave" is darker and more violent than other Pixar movies, and although it's slightly weaker than some other Pixar films, it still delivers plenty of humor, fun and emotion. The film makes a solid family & kids film.
  21. Dec 7, 2012
    A great animated film that presents the incredible story of a redheaded girl and her magical adventures.
  22. Jul 29, 2012
    I remember when Pixar creating good movies, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, Wall*e. The last year we watch Cars 2, the ill-fated sequel of Cars. Now they try return with Brave... This new movie is really interesting in some parts but have some things wich appear more of a Disney movie, but the movie is really good. The trama is about Merida (the girl who looksI remember when Pixar creating good movies, Toy Story, Monsters Inc, The Incredibles, Up, Ratatouille, Wall*e. The last year we watch Cars 2, the ill-fated sequel of Cars. Now they try return with Brave... This new movie is really interesting in some parts but have some things wich appear more of a Disney movie, but the movie is really good. The trama is about Merida (the girl who looks like Shaun White) a girl who wan't reign, after she transforms her mother into a bear (yes like in Brother Bear), but the people of the kingdom hate the bears and her father try kill her mom, and appear a really bad bear and he was a man. Ok the trama it's same that the Bear Brother trama, but the development is funny and emotive, the animation is really excellent. The characters are amazing have cool moments along the movie. Brave obviusly is not the best Pixar movie, but is better than Cars 2, and with this demostrate that they can return to the throne. Expand
  23. Jun 9, 2013
    Not the direction I thought it would go.I thought she would go on some different adventure, but it was good. I liked the main character. The story overall was nothing to crazy.
  24. Aug 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This movie tells us a story of a young princess that her mother wants her to marry and the princess doesn't want. they fight all the time as the mother always talks about the marriage and the young girl always gets annoyed and they talk bad to each other. So one day she takes a spell from a witch so as to change her mother's behaviour but the spell actually transformed the mother to a bear. It is a really interesting plot and the movie has some funny moments. Time passes really fast and it is moving in some points as the girl and her mum the get well with each other in that way. Princess Merida is a combination of Katniss everdeen and black widow and i have to say that i really liked that character. The whole movie in general is great and you will laugh and you will get sad in some moments. I don't really like animation but I really liked Brave. I haven't seen the other films which were nominated for an Oscar but Brave was a good film and it obviously deserved an Oscar. Expand
  25. Apr 24, 2015
    At first glance, Brave seems much like an old-fashioned animated Disney princess film done using new-fangled technology. Most of the elements are in place: the plucky heroine, the faithful animal companion, a mysterious wizard, and a character-building journey. There are even a few songs. Looking deeper, however, there's something missing: narrative momentum. The thinly-written storylineAt first glance, Brave seems much like an old-fashioned animated Disney princess film done using new-fangled technology. Most of the elements are in place: the plucky heroine, the faithful animal companion, a mysterious wizard, and a character-building journey. There are even a few songs. Looking deeper, however, there's something missing: narrative momentum. The thinly-written storyline takes us on an adventure, to be sure, but not necessarily one viewers will be interested in taking. The tone is uneven and more often morose than joyful. The pacing is slow and at times almost tedious. The end result is something that feels like it was put together from a jumble of Disney clichés tacked onto the skeleton of Beauty and the Beast.

The lack of both a romantic element and a real villain is only part of the problem. Another issue is that the lead character, the wild, arrow-shooting, red-headed Princess Merida (voiced by Kelly Macdonald) is more of a brat than a spunky, strong-willed girl. Okay, there's a fine line but, for the most part, Disney has managed to stay on the right side of it. Watching Merida, the only thing I could think is that her parents indulged her too much. As the movie progresses, we see that's true of her blustering father, King Fergus (Billy Connolly), who lets her get away with just about anything. Her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson), tries to lay down the law but ends up being turned into a bear for her troubles. The spoiled Merida, not liking to be constrained by Mom's rules (especially the one about marrying a prince), finds a witch and obtains magic that, when applied, results in Elinor becoming bear-able. The rest of the movie is spent trying to reverse the spell before Big Game Hunter Fergus inadvertently kills his wife.

Something sad has happened within Pixar. With Brave as a lackluster follow-up to the misfire of Cars 2, they seem to be spinning their wheels. Gone is the magic they infused in great films like The Incredibles, Finding Nemo, WALL*E, and the Toy Storys. Gone are the days when movie-lovers of all ages could celebrate the release of a new Pixar feature. They have fallen back to the pack, and maybe even slipped a little behind. Even Brave's staunchest defenders will grudgingly admit that this is "lesser Pixar." Artistically, despite its catalog of flaws, Brave is superior to Madagascar 3, but kids will prefer the latter for its color, its spectacle, and its cheerfulness. Curiously, Brave is neither fish nor fowl. It lacks a strong appeal to kids (too slow, too dark, too long) and adults (too superficial, not well written). The "Disney" and "Pixar" names assure an audience but it's hard to imagine Brave generating a lot of enthusiasm. Its final numbers will likely be closer to those of Cars 2 than Up.

With computer animated films circa 2012, it's almost pointless to talk about the "look." Ten or fifteen years ago, we marveled at the level of subtlety and detail in movie like this. Now, the playing field is level. Nearly all animated films - whether from Fox, Pixar, Dreamworks, Warner Brothers, or someone else - boast the same polished appearance. Brave uses a dark pallet but it appears neither better nor worse than Madagascar 3 or The Lorax. (Time to insert my obligatory 3-D verdict: don't bother. Not the greatest - it dims an already dark movie and there is blur during scenes where there's a lot of movement.)

Early in its genesis, Brave was being touted as "the first animated film directed by a woman." That woman, Brenda Chapman, didn't make it all the way through the production, being replaced by Mark Andrews part-way through due to "creative differences." Maybe that in part explains Brave's meandering approach and tone. Chapman, who is still credited as both a co-director and a co-writer, previously worked on the story for 1991's Beauty and the Beast and appears to have used pieces of that film as an inspiration here. The climax, in fact, is almost a direct steal (with Mom standing in for Prince Charming). In the end, Brave could have used a little of the Beauty and the Beast magic.

Brave is preceded by the charming Pixar short, "La Luna," which is ultimately more worth the price of admission than the feature.
  26. Jun 8, 2014
    Well Pixar's first try at a princess movie is enjoyable but clearly Disney is the leader of this market. Now this is my second viewing for this movie first was back when it was released on Blu ray and while i still find the movie entertaining i didn't find myself laughing as much this time around and most of the time the laughs came from the three little brothers other then that i laughedWell Pixar's first try at a princess movie is enjoyable but clearly Disney is the leader of this market. Now this is my second viewing for this movie first was back when it was released on Blu ray and while i still find the movie entertaining i didn't find myself laughing as much this time around and most of the time the laughs came from the three little brothers other then that i laughed maybe 2 or 3 times. Seeing that this is an original story and not a sequel the story is rather unoriginal and underwhelming compared to past original Pixar films other than the Cars movies which are just terrible. Personally i think Steve Purcell had a bit too much of a hands-on with this movie and that's why it didn't turn out as well as it could have.

The movie follows Merida a young princess and ever since her father King Fergus(Billy Connolly) gave her a bow and some arrows when she was just a child she has been different. She is not like every other princess she is more a tomboy that likes to do archery and go on adventures something her mother Queen Elinor(Emma Thompson) highly disapproves of. Soon her mother and father tell her that she has to get married to one of the three other clans prince's, reluctant to agree Merida and her mother get into a heated argument to a point were Merida storms out and goes into the forest. Once deep into the forest she notices a blue orb type thing floating in the air and she decides to following it, it leads her to a old witch's cabin were she ends up asking the witch to change her mom. Now we have our story and like i said before its unoriginal and underwhelming which is a shame because the trailers made the movie look a lot better then what it ended up being but still though i enjoyed the movie.

For the most part the only thing that separates this Pixar movie from other movie studios like Walt Disney Animation, DreamWorks Animation, and Illumination Entertainment, is its amazing use of animation. Everything was beautifully detailed especially Merida's hair and the grass which both right from the beginning are a stand out with just how gorgeous the movie looks but i guess with them updating their animation system for the first time in about 25 years it was bound to looks stunning. The cast was good but no one was a really stood out and with a list of actors like Billy Connolly, Craig Ferguson, Emma Thompson, Kelly Macdonald, Robbie Coltrane, Kevin McKidd that was kinda a let down. The action was entertaining but there just wasn't enough of it to really mean anything well i guess because half of the fighting was between the four clans where the humor comes in and no one dies.

Overall i give it a 7.0 Well honestly i have this as my 3rd least favorite Pixar movie of course behind the two car movies still though this is a good first try for Pixar but honestly they should just let Disney do the princess movies as they obviously the best ones at doing it.
  27. Mar 12, 2013
    Enjoyable to watch, this movie is actually a pretty good Disney project. Emotional and funny but for sure, not one of the best. I give "Brave" 7/10, because i think it's great and i recommend this to all kids and teens
  28. Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    It's strange to think that PIXAR's movies were held in such high esteem, that any lesser output from the studio will be held under such scrutiny. BRAVE is such output from the studio; not as 'critically lambasted' as CARS 2 but never reaching the heights that the studio reach in their Toy Story trilogy, Incredibles or reaching such 'artistic' heights as in Wall-E or Up. Nevertheless, Being in the same 'quality' as Dreamworks' latest output such as Kung Fu Panda 2 is also worrying for fans. It's good, but never reaching great. It is actually Pixar's interpretation of Disney's 'Princess' genre. Technologically wise, it is incredible as usual
  29. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a good film that is a blast while your watching it but after you feel as though all will soon be forgotten. This is a result of characters that are not memorable and a message that is cliches and that you've seen in plenty of Disney movies. Because of pixar's masterpieces I feel as though this film should have been better, but it is still good none the less.
  30. Mar 30, 2013
    I first have to praise the animators at Pixar, the film really does look quite stunning, as we’ve come to expect. I will put aside the many historical inaccuracies or I could be here all day; needless to say, a lot of poetic license has been used. There were some really comic moments which I found quite refreshing, but the general narrative was skewed towards a female audience (I felt).I first have to praise the animators at Pixar, the film really does look quite stunning, as we’ve come to expect. I will put aside the many historical inaccuracies or I could be here all day; needless to say, a lot of poetic license has been used. There were some really comic moments which I found quite refreshing, but the general narrative was skewed towards a female audience (I felt). Not that that’s a bad thing; I still found myself wrapped up in the story as much as I would have been if it had been a more male orientated work. Over all, it’s very enjoyable with some great comic moments. Definitely one for mothers and daughters rather than fathers and sons, but still worth a look if you have the inclination.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.3/10
  31. Jun 24, 2012
    I literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with aI literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with a beautiful film. Like i said before, from the action, the comedy, the animation, to the story, and everything in between, it was all perfect. You must see this film, whether you're 4 or 94, you will enjoy this movie. 10/10...Perfection. Expand
  32. Jul 4, 2012
    Although with its uneven pacing and really, really terrible jokes, Pixar is still deliver its best. I found Brave is pure, heart-warming and beautiful. I can't stand to mother-daughter drama, I even cry when the battle scene. One of the best releases so far.
  33. Jun 27, 2012
    Brave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect herBrave is a fine film. It strikes a strong touching note in the end as many Pixar films do. Is the story original? No....and yes. It has strong echoes of Brother Bear, which is the finer film, but the bond between mother and daughter is explored here and in much more depth. Merida is a good Disney princess.....a no-nonsense strong girl that refuses to take the path that so many expect her to take. In many ways, she is one of the strongest and most realistic Disney princesses we've seen in a long time. Expand
  34. Dec 12, 2012
    Sure, 'Brave' has stunning animation. What else? By that I mean: What else is there that we haven't seen before, but have come to expect from Pixar? Exactly. This is a mild animation entry that certainly is worth your money, but maybe not your time. It's great to look at. Your kids will love it. But the majority of moviegoers have lived long enough to be able to demand more from a featureSure, 'Brave' has stunning animation. What else? By that I mean: What else is there that we haven't seen before, but have come to expect from Pixar? Exactly. This is a mild animation entry that certainly is worth your money, but maybe not your time. It's great to look at. Your kids will love it. But the majority of moviegoers have lived long enough to be able to demand more from a feature than something neatly packaged, while remaining hollow deep down. Admittedly, there are glimpses into the movie that could of been, or was at least imagined to be, but 'Brave' isn't it. In fact, while nowhere near as horrible as 'Cars 2', it stands as one of Pixar's laziest efforts. Expand
  35. Nov 4, 2012
    it's disappointing that the film often times resorts to physical humor, but this is still Pixar. Animation is superb; the soundtrack outstanding; and the story, even though not taking any risks aside from a cool twist, is heartfelt.
  36. Nov 29, 2012
    Kind of a disappointment when I watched Brave. I didnt enjoy the animations, I was looking forward to high detailed computer animations. But the background trees were very genertic looking. Close ups, were done very well. The accents really annoyed me as well! They should of made the story more of a fantasy as well.
  37. Jul 4, 2013
    Brave's characters are what shine in the film, and in this case it's great. While Brave's storyline isn't as complex and original as some of top notch storytelling movies do today, its deep relationships with characters make this film feel human. Characters like Merida are wonderfully written: a female teen princess who struggles with the fact that she wants freedom and to do what sheBrave's characters are what shine in the film, and in this case it's great. While Brave's storyline isn't as complex and original as some of top notch storytelling movies do today, its deep relationships with characters make this film feel human. Characters like Merida are wonderfully written: a female teen princess who struggles with the fact that she wants freedom and to do what she wants to, while her mothers constantly wants her to be a normal princess. Merida doesn't want a prince, she doesn't want marriage, she wants to be herself it's a wonderful spin to most of the Disney Princesses, who mostly want to get married (Well, Tiana and Mulan are different, even though they do fall in love in the film). Merida and Elinor (Merida's mother The Queen) are what really make this film emotional and its take on how princes don't always save the day is what makes this film stand out to other Princess films and makes the film great. Expand
  38. Dec 9, 2012
    It looks as beautiful as you expect it to be and the story is top notch but Disney's influence is clear. It's a bit too sickeningly sweet in places. It's a safe film, nothing off the wall or unique/intriguing about it like Wall-E or Up. I couldn't sit through it all.
  39. Oct 19, 2014
    Brave follows the heroic journey of Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus and Queen Elinor. Determined to change her fate, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land: massive, surly Lord Macintosh and cantankerous Lord Dingwall, unleashing chaos in the kingdom. When she turns to an eccentric Witch, she is granted anBrave follows the heroic journey of Merida, a skilled archer and headstrong daughter of King Fergus and Queen Elinor. Determined to change her fate, Merida defies an age-old custom sacred to the unruly and uproarious lords of the land: massive, surly Lord Macintosh and cantankerous Lord Dingwall, unleashing chaos in the kingdom. When she turns to an eccentric Witch, she is granted an ill-fated wish and the ensuing peril forces Merida to harness all of her resources—including her mischievous triplet brothers—to undo a beastly curse and discover the meaning of true bravery. Expand
  40. Jul 13, 2012
    Brave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fightBrave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fight for their rights, speak up for what they want, decide which path to follow, live well without a husband and be able to raise a family on their own.
    Another interesting thing about this film is the title and the ironic situation that hides, because Merida is brave, she fights with weapons, climbs cliffs and waterfalls and fights against wild animals. Although in order to change from girl to woman, she must be brave, but of another kind, which means brave to take her own decisions knowing and accepting the consequences, to honor the will of her parents and to ensure the good of her people.
    The problem in the plot is the relationship with the mother, which occurs because nor Merida or Elinor listen to what the other have to say. The queen does not trust the ability of her daughter and Merida is blind by her stubbornness. So Merida must change the fate, look inside, mend the bond torn by pride.
    Finally, the images of Brave are amazing, the characters, the landscapes, the animals and especially the hair of Merida which is astonishing, totally worth the creation of a new software.
  41. Apr 11, 2015
    brave is not the best Pixar film but no the worst (cars 2) but it's still pretty good. the charters are pretty good Maria is a pretty good charter but why is Pixar made a princess Disney film.
  42. Jul 6, 2012
    Brave Is A Solid Good Movie. I Don't Like How This Can Be The Most Popular Childrens Movie Of 2012 And Then Studiuo Ghibli Is Stuck In The Ground. Watch A Studio Ghibli VS Pixar. GHIBLI ALLWAYS WINS IN MY BOOK!
  43. Jul 29, 2015
    3/5★ Beautifully animated and with contemporary themes (despite its mediaeval settings) Brave is a fun film, even a good film, but it is not up to Pixar standards. This is not a film I will remember or quote or see listed in "Greatest films of all time" list. Pixar films are adept at getting their message across without being preachy and Brave, while I appreciate its themes of female3/5★ Beautifully animated and with contemporary themes (despite its mediaeval settings) Brave is a fun film, even a good film, but it is not up to Pixar standards. This is not a film I will remember or quote or see listed in "Greatest films of all time" list. Pixar films are adept at getting their message across without being preachy and Brave, while I appreciate its themes of female empowerment and choosing ones destiny, is uncharacteristically unsubtle.
    The biggest twist of Brave is not the mother turning into a bear, but with the twist of no happily ever after ending with her handsome prince for a Disney princess. It went with the theme of the film but I kept on expecting a romance with a peasant boy to be the surprise. Disney has ruined me.
    Verdict: Enjoy it as a Disney film, don't expect a Pixar.
  44. Jul 5, 2012
    Unlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the womenUnlikeable characters and shallow story telling are what make this film mediocre. It's not a bad movie, but it is not nearly as good as other Pixar films. If this and Cars 2 are a sign of things to come then I think we are in for more disappointment in the coming years. Kids will like it, but I think adults will find this film strangely negative in its depictions of men, and the women characters are not much better. Also, it's damn boring. Expand
  45. Sep 6, 2012
    Disney and Pixar do not deny ever and lead us in our cinemas Brave. Meanwhile, the film manages to give us a vision of the crazy Scottish landscapes with stunning graphics and tells a simple story but what about the family and its importance and how important is the dialogue between different generations.
  46. Oct 31, 2013
    when i heard about this film for the first time i thought that it isn't going to be so bad as cars 2 was,but i thought that it wouldn't be so close of terms of quality.
  47. Aug 2, 2013
    Brave isn't a typical Pixar film, but that isn't a bad thing because it's a really great film. It's not up there with Pixar's best, but: it's not down there with their worst. It features an enchanting story equipped with emotion and action, it is also charmingly comedic. The voice acting on this film is superb and the dialogue is funny. The characters all have there charms and thereBrave isn't a typical Pixar film, but that isn't a bad thing because it's a really great film. It's not up there with Pixar's best, but: it's not down there with their worst. It features an enchanting story equipped with emotion and action, it is also charmingly comedic. The voice acting on this film is superb and the dialogue is funny. The characters all have there charms and there designs and detail are terrific, this is matched with skilled and fluid animation. One of the faults of Brave however, is that it's too short, another 20 minutes would fit nicely; also, the ending didn't have to be that stereotypically cheesy and predictable. But, aside from those fairly minor faults Brave is a really great movie. So I give this film a... 86/100! Expand
  48. Jan 17, 2016
    Brave is a 2012 animated comedy-fantasy film directed by Mark Andrews and Brenda Chapman.It is the 13th Pixar film,and certainly a great one as their previous.
    Brave follows Merida the daughter of Scottish King Fergus and Queen Elinor.She is a skilled archer who wants to make her own fate in life and pursue her own dreams.She is then forced to get married,as the tradition requires at a certain age but she is in her own mind and seeks help from a witch to change the fate and be her own person in life.
    This movie is amazing,from the glorious animation to the characters who are likable just as much as they are interesting.Merida is a strong female lead character who chooses her own path in life and makes her own decisions for herself.She has dreams and most importantly is "brave" enough to pursue them till the very end.She's also smart and Kelly Macdonald's voice work just helps the cause with her amazing Scottish Accent.
    The story is very interesting and intriguing while still being emotional that gives depth to the characters.But it also has funny moments throughout,even though the finale is very dark and also even sad which in my opinion is great.
    People has been complaining about the twist over and over again and how it is more of a kids film than for adults,which Pixar is used to making.But I disagree because while it is an absolute treat for kids,it is also dark at times,it has adult jokes here and there and what's very important,it has character development at its finest.The place where Merida and different characters in the movie are at the beginning and where they end up is just brilliant and life changing.The lessons they learn through their adventures,them being good or bad,and the way that this movie teaches people that we can make our own fate if we are brave enough to follow our hearts,that makes for an unforgettable experience.
  49. Nov 30, 2012
    "Brave" is yet another beautiful masterpiece from Pixar Studios, telling the story of a Scottish princess who causes chaos in her efforts to be independent, and her gripping adventure to fix it. As can be expected from Pixar, the film is gorgeously animated and a pure joy to watch, and as a whole is one of their more entertaining and intelligent mixes of humor, zaniness, and heartfelt storytelling
  50. Jan 12, 2014
    Very nice. Good plot, good animations. I watched it about a week ago for the first time and I liked it. Cant say I'm impressed, but overall movie is just nice. Reccomended for 7+ kids.
  51. Aug 10, 2012
    Not on par with your typical Pixar fare, but this is still incredibly well-animated and affecting as an interesting folklore. Also, the development of new animation technology to add 3D layers to the characters should be noted.
  52. Dec 25, 2013
    Although not the best film from Pixar-Disney, Brave is an entertaining movie with its motherhood message mixed with its strong feminist message as well.
  53. Jan 6, 2016

Choosing the voice actors appears to have been easy: find everyone in the industry with SAG credentials who can boast either a genuine Scottish accent or a decent facsimile. So there's Kelly Macdonald, Craig Ferguson, Billy Connolly, Kevin McKidd, and Robbie Coltrane. Emma Thompson trades in her upper class British dialect for something more earthy. One assumes that if James Doohan was still alive, he would have been offered a part. It's tempting to give Pixar points for authenticity, although during the time period when this transpires, the language spoken by the people of Scotland would have been unrecognizable to today's audiences, requiring subtitles.

Brave features one of the most potentially frightening sequences in any recent animated film. This is partially responsible for the PG (instead of G) rating. Two bears - the transformed Elinor and a bigger, badder monster - go at it in an ursa smackdown that is surprisingly graphic for a family feature. Older kids won't be bothered; they may even applaud this scene (especially since it's one of only a few action-oriented segments). Younger children, however, may be frightened. It's not just the degree to which violence is depicted but the overall intensity of the sequence. It will likely be less scary on a TV, but on a big screen, some children may find it overwhelming.

54. Jan 7, 2013
    i liked brave, but ot as much as i'd hoped. granted, the last pixar movie i've seen is up, and that one is in my top 10 movies ever seen. brave played out like a sort of standard fantasy adventure movie, but as one of those, it's still a good movie.
  55. Jun 22, 2013
    "Brave" is a good Pixar film but it goes in crescendo although in a filmed midpoint begins fall. Brenda Chapman was the first director and that is prominent because her view is risky and that is what should be a Pixar film. "Monsters University" is great because it's a fun by fun film but "Brave" should be epic and, only, is the first half part.
  56. Aug 1, 2012
    My honest rating for this movie is an 8.5. I give it a 9 only because I think an 8 is too low. While this movie had some issues, it was for the most part entertaining to watch. Pixar's visuals are always outstanding, and the music and voice acting paired very well with the visual scenes. A strong female lead impressed me as the script departed from the traditional cookie-cutterMy honest rating for this movie is an 8.5. I give it a 9 only because I think an 8 is too low. While this movie had some issues, it was for the most part entertaining to watch. Pixar's visuals are always outstanding, and the music and voice acting paired very well with the visual scenes. A strong female lead impressed me as the script departed from the traditional cookie-cutter princess role. Overall, an enjoyable movie with a good message, good morals, and wonderful audio and visuals. Expand
  57. Jun 28, 2013
    The first half of this movie is awesome. The protagonist is cool and unique, the setting is great, and the portrayal of all the characters is hilarious. The movie seems to get better and better, up to the point where I said, "hey, this is one of Pixar's best movies yet".

But then it happened. Bears. That's right, bears. At that point, the movie turns into a predictable and

But then it happened. Bears.
    That's right, bears. At that point, the movie turns into a predictable and uninteresting child's movie. Every plot point is easy to guess, the characters are less cool, and the story just seems to die. The second half of the movie is like a giant kick in the nuts to the first half, and it really just kills the movie.

That's why I'm giving a 5/10. The first half was great (5/5) and the second half was abysmal (0/5).
  58. Jun 25, 2012
    It doesn't really live up to the high standard of most Pixar movies, but Brave is still an amazing movie that will be plenty of fun for both kids and adults. The best Brave has to offer is the amazing animation, which may just be the best that's even been done. The colors are vivd and beautiful, and the look/design of the movie is captivating. The film is loaded with great voice actors,It doesn't really live up to the high standard of most Pixar movies, but Brave is still an amazing movie that will be plenty of fun for both kids and adults. The best Brave has to offer is the amazing animation, which may just be the best that's even been done. The colors are vivd and beautiful, and the look/design of the movie is captivating. The film is loaded with great voice actors, lovable characters, and plenty of humor mixed with tension and action. The film falls short, in my opinion, when it comes to story. It follows a rather predictable path of a rebellious girl, who doesn't want to get married so she turns to an old witch. However, it does put the focus on the relationship between mothers and daughters for a change, something I don't think I've ever seen in an animated movie. Overall, it's worth watching, but it doesn't join the ranks of great animated films like WALL-E, Up, or Toy Story. Expand
  59. Oct 13, 2014
    It's just okay, the story is alright but nothing new or original. I do like the idea of a more manly female protagonist instead of just the typical Disney princess that people are quite use to, the other characters are also pretty interesting and like able. Although some parts do drag on a bit and can get boring. Overall Brave is okay, a step up from Cars 2, but not by much.
  60. Sep 20, 2012
    Brave is an odd one from Pixar, they have never made a movie quite like this one before. Which is strange as it is really rather traditional, but seeing as Pixar has never done traditional before it makes "Brave" really stand out. Due to this fact it is hard to rank Brave up along with the rest of Pixar's films, as it is just too different. Now, the film strongly reminds me of "How ToBrave is an odd one from Pixar, they have never made a movie quite like this one before. Which is strange as it is really rather traditional, but seeing as Pixar has never done traditional before it makes "Brave" really stand out. Due to this fact it is hard to rank Brave up along with the rest of Pixar's films, as it is just too different. Now, the film strongly reminds me of "How To Train Your Dragon", which is no bad thing, but the humour is much more in the veins of the "Aardman cartoons" in its style. Without giving anything away, Brave is about a girl and her mum, learning to love each other: another classic storyline. As per usual in Pixar films Brave's voice acting is top of the line, offering the best of Scottish talent in great and finely tuned characters. There is one problem really, we didn't really get enough time with many of the characters which is a bit of a wasted opportunity as they are all fantastic and many of them provide the comedy throughout the film (like one of the other tribe's son's voice is impossible to comprehend, a very funny recurring joke, as no one else in the film can understand him either). All in all I don't think it's one of Pixar's best, but it does oddly stand out if you know about Pixar films, it is a little too short however, which is a shame as an extra 15 minutes would have worked wonders. 87/100. Expand
  61. Mar 29, 2014
    I have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that AcademyI have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that Academy Award, that film was actually creative; I felt that they just gave the film that reward just because it's Pixar...that's it. Besides the Cars films, Brave is one of Pixar's biggest mistakes. I would not recommend it. Expand
  62. Aug 5, 2012
    Brave isn't a typical Pixar film, in fact it plays more like a Disney Animation with its traditional storyline and tales of morality. I will go further to say that this approach, along with its fairy tale-like setting, felt like something from a Brothers Grimm collection. Its not as inventive as most of the other pixar films, but the well told story, positive message and the heartfeltBrave isn't a typical Pixar film, in fact it plays more like a Disney Animation with its traditional storyline and tales of morality. I will go further to say that this approach, along with its fairy tale-like setting, felt like something from a Brothers Grimm collection. Its not as inventive as most of the other pixar films, but the well told story, positive message and the heartfelt climax almost compensates. Its filled with wild bursts energy and is never short on humor, thanks to the striking action pieces and beautifully animated characters. Brave boasts a great sound palette and mix, and fantastic voice acting from a primarily Scottish cast. I yearned for more creative ambition in this film, but it was good none the less, and never short on depth. In the end it is not Pixars finest efforts, but it certainly wasn't there worse. Expand
  63. Mar 3, 2014
    A safe, average Pixar film which conjures up the usual emotions with its usual plot. It contains some rather surprisingly mature humour and also some good music, and voice acting (although it took me a good few times to register the name Merida as not them exclaiming "murder" every so often) but with its short running time, Brave will make you want and expect more and it doesn't totally deliver.
  64. Jun 25, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I was looking forward to a great movie, but Brave is very bland. The main heroine is a very unlikeable character, because she's very selfish and even seeks harm to her own mother. All the male characters are bumbling idiots and can't even comprehend something that's being yelled in their face 5 times in a row. The main bear character, withoutI was really disappointed with this film. I was looking forward to a great movie, but Brave is very bland. The main heroine is a very unlikeable character, because she's very selfish and even seeks harm to her own mother. All the male characters are bumbling idiots and can't even comprehend something that's being yelled in their face 5 times in a row. The main bear character, without giving away too much about the story, is very repetitive in its manerisms. All the main characters are very unlikeable... and when you reach the point where you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them. The only positives I can say about this film is that the computer graphics were amazing to look at, and the witch and triplets were entertaining (but only had a combined 15 minutes of screen time). I'm sure kids will love this movie, especially little girls who want to see a strong female character. However, for the adult crowd that appreciates a family film that includes feeling and humor, this movie missed the mark by a mile. Expand
  65. Zal
    Dec 23, 2012
    In some ways, this movie exceeded my expectations. In other ways, it didn't. The best thing about this movie was the mother-daughter bond. How many movies (let alone Disney movies) can you think of that have such a theme? It helps that both characters are well written and easy to relate to. Both Merida and Eleanor make valid points but both are also very stubborn and refuse to hear theIn some ways, this movie exceeded my expectations. In other ways, it didn't. The best thing about this movie was the mother-daughter bond. How many movies (let alone Disney movies) can you think of that have such a theme? It helps that both characters are well written and easy to relate to. Both Merida and Eleanor make valid points but both are also very stubborn and refuse to hear the other one out. The first act of this movie is solid. The rest is a roller coaster. I won't say what happens but there were scenes that came across as very slapstick-y (until the last few scenes) and it took me out of the drama. It wants to be a simple story about a mother and daughter relationship but it wants to be an epic, too. It succeeds in the former but the later needed a lot of work. This is a movie with its heart in the right place and I hope that someone will see this and decide to make another movie with the same themes but done better. Expand
  66. Jun 27, 2012
    Better than Cars 2 and Cars. The movie's special effects are new to Pixar but great nonetheless. A fantastic introduction to Future Female Pixar heroines.
  67. Aug 14, 2013
    A charming and beautiful story about the mother-daughter relationship. This animation packs laughs, tears and joy. Something about watching animals with human-like behaviour that really gets me. The characters were quite unique and very well-written. The animation was stunning, even in 2D, which was what I saw. For me, the story itself won the show.
  68. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been dreading writing this down. Specially when it comes to Pixar. I have loved every single one of their movies. Even Cars. Not that it was their strongest suit. But everywhere else, I always walked out of the movie theater being thankful this company came together. It's one of those you know extra care goes in to make things abnormally special.
    Not with this one. I can't put my
    Not with this one. I can't put my finger on it. The trailer was amazing. I knew I had to see this thing. I had my enormous popcorn and even larger soda. All was going according to plan. And then a bear showed up... Yes. A bear... interestingly enough the people I went to see this with loved the bear thing. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. What the heck does someone turning into bear have to do with being brave in life. Ok, so the girl needs to be less selfish and follow her mother's dictate. As most children should. I'm with you there. But in the story they seem to promote that when you go out of your way to change your future against the establishment things turn out for the worst. I gotta say, I'm not down with that. If anything, the girl was selfish for involving her mother in her own rebellious attitude, that about the only message I see here... But, a bear?
    I did feel a couple of emotional moments. These guys know how to get you. They've done it enough times. And there is no doubt that the graphics get better and better. Take a close look at that girl's red hair. I can't imagine animating and rendering that thing.
    Truth be told, I am yet to come across anyone that felt the movie was below par. Everyone is recommending it, and, actually, so do I. Go see it. You won't be disappointed... I will say, though, this is no Wally. Now, that one, is more like what I expect of Pixar.
  69. Jul 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is an agenda to this movie that I would keep in mind if you decide to attend this movie and If you want to promote it than spend your money on it. the agenda is one of self centered behavior being acceptable and what ever you want to do to promote your own behavior, what ever that is including disrespect of others it is O K. The "heroine" is one of the most rebellious and self centered animated individuals I have ever had the pleasure of watching. In this "Its all about me" styled of movie this agenda most probably fits in, on the other hand if you wish to keep your kids from believing that is is all about them and their disrespect of your authority as a parent is O K t as well as the disrespect of others it is not a movie for your family. The tradition of mate selection represented in this movie is obviously out dated but the rebellious spirit this movie represents is not. . I do not very often think poorly of Pixar movies but this one of them. I must say the animation is well done, it is to bad the story line and the general theme is not. I thought is would be something different than what is was. Expand
  70. Aug 12, 2012
    Dosen't have the heart of the usual Pixar films, but it does deliver on entertainment and laughter.
  71. Jun 22, 2012
    Last year, Pixar gave us Cars 2. Critics and audience members alike were appalled at the product. It was no where near the masterpieces that Pixar had brought us previously. But while it wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed Cars 2. But I definitely didn't want Pixar to keep making movies like Cars 2. I wanted more masterpieces. So Brave comes along. The film that everyone is hoping will saveLast year, Pixar gave us Cars 2. Critics and audience members alike were appalled at the product. It was no where near the masterpieces that Pixar had brought us previously. But while it wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed Cars 2. But I definitely didn't want Pixar to keep making movies like Cars 2. I wanted more masterpieces. So Brave comes along. The film that everyone is hoping will save the day and remind us all why we love Pixar.

Unfortunately, many critics aren't all that impressed with Brave, and while MOST of the critics liked it, the reception has been a little disappointing, especially when you consider how well the rest of the Pixar films have done. Brave is being considered one of the worst Pixar films.

But I think this is bizarre. I'm not quite sure why this is being met with such lukewarm reception. Brave is nothing short of a masterpiece. In fact, it's one of Pixar's BETTER films, in my opinion.

Brave (originally titled The Bear and the Bow) is about a princess named Merida who wants to be an archer. Unfortunately for her, Merida's mother, Elinor, wants Merida to be a bit more ladylike. Merida puts up with her mother, but when she's being forced to marry before she's even ready. There's an argument between the Merida and Elinor, a witch, and next thing you know Elinor is a bear. So Merida must change her mother back to a human and at the same time, regain her bond with her mother.

Brave has all the ingredients that every good movie needs. For one, the characters are very memorable. I doubt any of them will replace anyone's favorite Pixar character, but they're funny and well developed. Also, Brave is very funny. It's not as humorous as Up or the Toy Story films, but there's enough gags to entertain adults and kids. Admittedly, some of the humor feels a bit more tilted towards the Dreamworks canon, but I still found myself laughing often.

The last main ingredient; heart. And Brave has heart to spare. Pixar has almost always managed to make me cry, I don't mind saying. But then came Cars 2. Sure it made me laugh, and the animation impressed, but I never felt any real emotional connection with anything going onscreen.

But Brave reminded me why I look forward to Pixar films every year. I did cry at times, and there were times when I held back tears. Brave is one of the most moving pictures I've ever seen. Seeing Merida and Elinor's relationship grow as the film progresses, and the sacrifices they make for each other is particularly moving. Rarely do I feel so engaged with the characters.

Some critics were complaining about the uneven tones. From soft mother-daughter scenes, to boy-ish humor. I actually LIKED the shifts in tone. There were times when things got a little tragic and humor really helped to lighten the mood.

Patrick Doyle composed the score for Brave. This is his first time scoring a Pixar film, and having heard very little of Doyle's scores, I wasn't sure how I'd like his music. Well, Doyle has proved himself a hundred times over. I was extremely impressed with the score, and hope to see Doyle compose more Pixar films in the future.

The voice acting is, as usual for a Pixar film, superb. The voices are a little more recognizable this time around, but in the end, I wouldn't have changed anything. Kelly MacDonald does a more than respectable job as Merida, while Emma Thompson does excellently as mother (though unfortunately, she spends most of the movie as a bear). And Billy Connoly does a hilarious job as Fergus, Merida's rambunctious father.

And naturally, the animation is gorgeous. Easily outdoing any of Pixar's previous films. Trees, water, mist, hair, all of the above. Pixar does an eleven-out-of-ten job on their animation, making Brave the best looking animated film of the year thus far.

Brave is being unfairly labeled as one of Pixar's weaker films, and a merely decent film. Brave is, in fact, a masterpiece and hopefully the so-so reviews and the female protagonist won't stop male audience members from seeing it. Cars 2 was decent, but left me nervous as to Pixar's future. Brave has put all those fears to rest. Pixar is back baby: Hopefully forever.

Note: Brave was preceded by a short film entitled La Luna. This was both imaginative and magical. Don't come late or you'll miss it, and you will not want to miss this.
  72. Jan 4, 2013
    I was a little curious about this movie, but yet was excited to see it because I love Pixar. The trailer looked pretty good and seemed like an adventure film about a Princess that loves archery. It looks like an awesome adventure and would seem like a kick ass Princess film. However, it wasn't exactly as adventuress as I thought it would be, it was more like a typical Princess story withI was a little curious about this movie, but yet was excited to see it because I love Pixar. The trailer looked pretty good and seemed like an adventure film about a Princess that loves archery. It looks like an awesome adventure and would seem like a kick ass Princess film. However, it wasn't exactly as adventuress as I thought it would be, it was more like a typical Princess story with its parental problems like before from Disney. But I still don't think it is a bad one, yet its not as strong as I hoped. The animation was beautiful, even the Princess's design was pretty cool. I also like the characters like the father / King, I love that guy. He was funny, lovable, memorable, and such a great character. I also like the Princess herself, she was cliche'd a bit but not in a bad way. The three little sons were hilarious. The thing that kind of was a little disappointing was the story. Again, I was expecting an epic adventure, but it was more to grow the connection with the Princess and Queen. The Queen turns into a bear and won't change back till the broken relation is fixed. It's not a bad story, but I was expecting a little more. I think Brave was pretty decent and enjoyable, but its sadly not the Strongest from Pixar. But its still pretty good, I'd give it a chance to check it out. Expand
  73. Jan 4, 2016
    Poor Brenda Chapman.

For a while she held the significant distinction of being the first female director to be admitted into Pixar’s hitherto all-male cadre of feature filmmakers. Not only that, but the film she was charged with bringing into being was Pixar’s first to have a female protagonist, and a princess to boot. The sound of glass ceilings shattering in Tinseltown might not
    Poor Brenda Chapman.

Not only that, but the film she was charged with bringing into being was Pixar’s first to have a female protagonist, and a princess to boot. The sound of glass ceilings shattering in Tinseltown might not have been audible, but it was hard to miss all the same.

Until, that is, Chapman was abruptly ousted and replaced by Mark Andrews, second-unit director on Mouse House mega-flop John Carter . Feminist breakthrough? Yeah, not so much. “Creative differences” was the catch-all reason given for Chapman’s departure from the project.

Yet when one harks back to how this slice of Celtic cod-folklore was initially pitched, it’s clear John Lasseter and the rest of Pixar’s top brass lost faith in her initial conception - then called The Bear And The Bow - and re-moulded it into something a little less serious, a little more cartoonish and a lot less… well, princess-y.

In many ways the result resembles nothing so much as Tangled , or 2010 pic How To Train Your Dragon , another medieval caper set in a world of chieftains, warriors and Arthurian accessories.

Given that critically acclaimed release represents one of DreamWorks’ better toon forays, the parallel would appear to do Brave proud. Yet Pixar’s history has always been one of pack-leading innovation, not familiar (if unintentional) imitation.

Coming off the back of that spluttering jalopy Cars 2 , the newest vehicle off the Emeryville production line had been looked upon as a film to steady the Pixar ship. Instead it bears all the hallmarks of a studio treading water, as if waiting for a new generation of custodians to propel it into its next evolutionary stage.

Which is not to say that Brave isn’t technically ambitious, fabulous to look at and fun to be around, mostly thanks to a spirited and feisty heroine whose explosion of reddish curls is a triumph in itself.

OK, so tomboy Merida (nimbly voiced by Kelly Macdonald) does feel something of an amalgam, saddled as she is with Mulan’s independent streak, Jessie the Cowgirl’s pluck and the archery prowess of Katniss Everdeen.

Boldly though, this is one Disney princess who refuses to be defined by a Prince Charming, for all her mother’s attempts to set her up with one in the interests of Highland tribal harmony.

Voiced by Emma Thompson, the stately Queen Elinor fills much the same role as Marlin in Finding Nemo : namely, overprotective parental buzz-kill forever trying to keep their mischievous offspring in check. (As well as Merida, she and the burly King Fergus - the easiest of paydays for Billy Connolly - have a trio of unruly boy triplets wreaking havoc in their castle.)

It’s evident from the off, then, that much of Brave ’s drama will be driven by its stern mother/headstrong daughter dynamic, and the friction therein. But how this dynamic develops hangs on a bonkers plot twist that’s so off the wall and out of left field it almost capsizes the entire movie.

We won’t reveal more, apart from saying that it involves a spell cast by a mad witch that in turn maintains a tradition of literal transformation that’s been part of the Disney ethos since as far back as Pinocchio .

The problem is that the Pixar USP is rooted in the fantastical rather than the magical. Their movies, by and large, involve one key idea – talking toys, culinary rodents, suburban superheroes – treated as a fanciful embellishment of an otherwise authentic milieu.

Throw witchcraft into the mix and suddenly anything goes, undermining the strict internal logic on which the Pixar universe depends.

Brave begins strongly, has some fine comic moments and builds to a majestic finale involving a demon bear named Mor’du who once robbed Fergus of a leg and won’t stop until it gets the rest of him. (There’s also a terrific traditional score from Patrick Doyle.)

Yet its weak points (Julie Walters’ eccentric enchantress, the gaseous Will o’ the Wisps that entice Merida to her cottage and the consequences of the fate-changing pastry she coaxes out of her) all spring from a tinkering with the Pixar fabric that is false, forced and ultimately foolhardy.

Speaking of fabric, a symbolically torn tapestry comes to play a crucial role in proceedings. Here’s hoping John Lasseter has a needle and thread capable of stitching his animation power-house across its current creative blip.

More lukewarm haggis than piping-hot broth, Pixar’s 13th feature might fall short, but is still head and hair-covered shoulders above most of its CG competitors.
  74. Sep 12, 2012
    Brave is visually lush but lacks the spark that an Animated film needs to stand out. It's also quite run of the mill and wouldn't feel out of place as an eighties disney movie. Its not terrible by any stretch but while Pixar has a strong history of Kids movies that are just as enjoyable for adults, Brave is best left to the kids (and nothing wrong with that)
  75. Jun 22, 2012
    Don't listen to the critics! This movie, although adopting a premise that has been done to death (especially by Disney), is still subversive as much as it is conventional. It's a character-driven story - like every other Pixar movie - that focuses more on the chemistry between the protagonist and her mother than on the adventure. It does so deftly, with theme and emotion and depth allDon't listen to the critics! This movie, although adopting a premise that has been done to death (especially by Disney), is still subversive as much as it is conventional. It's a character-driven story - like every other Pixar movie - that focuses more on the chemistry between the protagonist and her mother than on the adventure. It does so deftly, with theme and emotion and depth all around, as much depth as How To Train Your Dragon (to which it is often compared. Personally I think they're equally great.) What I loved the most was the care they took in portraying Merida realistically - not as a badass action heroine, but as a frightened, desperate child who only wanted her mother back. She doesn't end up with a husband by the end of the movie, but I think it's better that way. We really needed a movie, actually, that reminds us that things like love and occupation don't need to be found when you're so young. Because in the end, this movie is really about a girl who just wants to be the child that she is, while she still can, rather than grow up too fast. And I find that incredibly poignant. Expand
  76. Jan 3, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Superficial tripe and missed opportunity to explore the main character! Movie goes south when mom is turned into a bear! Safe non-threatening Pixar output! Expand
  77. Apr 1, 2015
    Besides killing off an hour and a half, 'Brave' doesn't really have much to offer. It is watchable, also funny to a certain degree, relatively entertaining but certainly not the blockbuster Pixar work that we are used to. The plot is rather simple, without any strong originality or depth, although one must praise the shift of focus - the analysis of the mother-daughter relationship is notBesides killing off an hour and a half, 'Brave' doesn't really have much to offer. It is watchable, also funny to a certain degree, relatively entertaining but certainly not the blockbuster Pixar work that we are used to. The plot is rather simple, without any strong originality or depth, although one must praise the shift of focus - the analysis of the mother-daughter relationship is not common for Pixar. The animation is repetitive and I must admit that the bears did, and very strongly I might add, remind me of 'Brother Bear', which is a flaw in my book. The comical moments were rather dull and predictable and if it wasn't for Billy Connolly and the three babies this segment would've been a perfect plot. A big praise, though, goes to the cinematographers as the scenery is truly impressive.

All in all, 'Brave' is certainly not bad, as someone might deduce from my earlier writing, but a 7/10 grade for a Pixar animated movie is just weak. You should watch it, not to say otherwise, but it shouldn't be a priority and you certainly shouldn't except much afar from the always charming and exotic Scottish fairytale.
  78. Dec 30, 2012
    Brave was a film set up to fail. During the time Disney was coming back from Cars 2 and John Carter so this wasn't looked at in the best light. Also its something entirely different for Pixar. But as soon as watch in awe the first act you are set up for a classic....you don't get a classic but you get a very very good movie. The visuals are spectacular....also one of the best examples forBrave was a film set up to fail. During the time Disney was coming back from Cars 2 and John Carter so this wasn't looked at in the best light. Also its something entirely different for Pixar. But as soon as watch in awe the first act you are set up for a classic....you don't get a classic but you get a very very good movie. The visuals are spectacular....also one of the best examples for 3D. The story is also very good...a nod to the mother-daughter relationship. As you can see this movie is set around the women...the men are well idiots to say the least, except for the triplets they are on a class of their own. The plot is great the only thing that it lacks is that edge. Even if its something new for Pixar its not entirely new for Disney. Expand
  79. Apr 27, 2014
    I didn;t think this sound like the best concept for a disney/pixar movie, but me and my friend went to see it because she legit looks like the main character Merida and it was all a bit of a joke really. However, this movie really surprised me, in fact I love it! I will watch it over and over! It's comical and has a great story line which is truly unique to anything else. The movie centresI didn;t think this sound like the best concept for a disney/pixar movie, but me and my friend went to see it because she legit looks like the main character Merida and it was all a bit of a joke really. However, this movie really surprised me, in fact I love it! I will watch it over and over! It's comical and has a great story line which is truly unique to anything else. The movie centres around a strained relationship between mother and daughter which most people can relate to, and how they decide to resolve their problems. Expand
  80. Sep 13, 2015
    I really like Merida, I think she's one of the best princesses of Disney. Although the story is simple, it's nice to enjoy in family, and it makes you think about your relation with your mother hahhah.
  81. Jun 27, 2012
    The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.)The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.) Though, as I said, it does not feel like a Pixar movie - it is still one of their best ones yet. So thumbs up for Brave. Expand
  82. Apr 19, 2013
    An average movie by Pixar, not reaching as strong as some of their past works, but still managing to hold memorable characters and well delivered morals. The main fault of this film is that it moved far into the realm of cliché, and quite early on the audience became more suited for children, but that does not deduct from the overall standards of the films.
  83. Jun 6, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The movie was a little short, but it was very good. It was funny and emotional. Pixar always does a good job (although I heard Cars 2 wasn't very good, weird Its not as good as Finding Nemo or Up, but its really close. I also like how the princess does not end up falling in love in this movie. I thought that was cool. Expand
  84. Jul 17, 2012
    Brave is a very strange movie!! It takes off straight out the gate, then introduces its story, throws in way too much slapstick and then its all over. I sat thinking...'what just happened'. The story is very weak and the whole premise is ridiculous!!Pixar seems to have gotten lazier as there waists have gotten bigger. Dont get me wrong, its amazingly beautiful and the cgi is incredible,Brave is a very strange movie!! It takes off straight out the gate, then introduces its story, throws in way too much slapstick and then its all over. I sat thinking...'what just happened'. The story is very weak and the whole premise is ridiculous!!Pixar seems to have gotten lazier as there waists have gotten bigger. Dont get me wrong, its amazingly beautiful and the cgi is incredible, but the story is boring and could have been told by any other studio!! Maybe Pixars magic couldnt last forever...its a pity but was great while it lasted!! Expand
  85. Jun 20, 2014
    Loved the characters and the world. The story is familiar (Little Mermaid/Brother Bear) yet heart warming. One of my favorite Pixar films and Merida's my favorite Disney princess.
  86. Oct 7, 2013
    It lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother'sIt lacks the dramatic depth of the Toy Story series, its plot is as bland as A Bug's Life and it definitely doesn't not share the same character charm as Tangled and Bolt. In saying that, it's not a terrible movie; I could probably watch it again and still enjoy its simplicity. As a Disney Animation though, it's disappointing. The story is somewhat nonsensical, Merida and her Mother's character are frustrating to watch and its climax flat-lines. Merida wields a bow & arrow but not once does she use it for proper situations. Her character is sparingly approached and absent of anything memorable of her. The movie felt rushed and unpolished. It could've been done so much better. Expand
  87. Apr 20, 2013
    Brave is new, is simple. Brave is a touching story about mother-daughter relationships.
  88. Jun 22, 2012
    The digital wizards at Pixar have an incredible dossier of Academy award-winning animated films. Their latest film
  89. Jan 29, 2013
    If you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, upIf you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, up to the credits. Imagine if you watched a movie where the main character was a vegetarian. She goes up to a Burger King and says, "I want something that tastes good." So then the vegetarian gets a burger at the window. But it doesn't end there! She takes a bite! Then she spits the burger out the window and gets super mad at the employee, who says she's welcome to pull back around and order mozzarella sticks or something. The vegetarian then spends the rest of the movie deciding what to eat before figuring out that she could just pull her car around and order something without meat. And then music plays and you rejoice in the fact that the girl finally made the right decision. That's what this movie is like. Expand
  90. Jul 12, 2012
    "Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about"Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about the relationship between Merida and her mother. It's all genuine and incredibly heartfelt. Not to mention the film is encapsulated by the most spectacularly realistic imagery Pixar has ever done and has hints of Scottish culture. Oh, and there are wonderfully silly moments full of laughter as well. Could Pixar have done more with the storyline? Yes. Does it matter? Not in the least. It may not be the greatest film Pixar has ever made, but Brave stands as one of their best. Expand
  91. May 28, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This should not have won best animation(Wreck-It Ralph was much better). While better than Cars 2, I think that the writing was a little weak. It kind of felt like Pirates of the Caribbean 3 when they turned into bears. Not to say I didn't like this movie, but there were better animations in 2012. Expand
  92. Jul 23, 2012
    Pixar is one of my most beloved studios in the movie industry. They have created the most memorable animated movies ever. So its fair to say that Brave, Pixar's latest, had a good wealth of expectation given the brilliant record of great movies the studio has produced. The movie had a lot to live up to, and sadly it doesnt quite get there, but nevertheless it ends up being irresistiblyPixar is one of my most beloved studios in the movie industry. They have created the most memorable animated movies ever. So its fair to say that Brave, Pixar's latest, had a good wealth of expectation given the brilliant record of great movies the studio has produced. The movie had a lot to live up to, and sadly it doesnt quite get there, but nevertheless it ends up being irresistibly charming. The reason I believe Brave doesnt quite capture the essence of the other Pixar movies like Up or Nemo, relies on the fact that its story develops mostly on the same place. There seems to be a lack of progression that other Pixar movies seem to develop with such mastery, a sense of discovery. Still, as already expressed, Brave is a very nice movie to see. Its story, while simple, is told with class and mastery. Its visuals are some of the best the studio has ever produced too. Its funny, its interesting and overall it is a worthwhile movie to watch. Certainly better than Ice Age 4 or Madagascar 3! Expand
  93. Jun 24, 2012
    I will admit up front that I am a big fan of Pixar, and any movie of theirs gets an automatic 10 to begin with. From there, it may lose a point or two (Or more... ahem, Cars 2) but it usually takes a lot to convince me to deduct points from a Pixar film. Brave gets only one complaint from me, and that is simply that I can't give it an 11. What an amazing movie. Granted, it's not your usualI will admit up front that I am a big fan of Pixar, and any movie of theirs gets an automatic 10 to begin with. From there, it may lose a point or two (Or more... ahem, Cars 2) but it usually takes a lot to convince me to deduct points from a Pixar film. Brave gets only one complaint from me, and that is simply that I can't give it an 11. What an amazing movie. Granted, it's not your usual Pixar fare, and it certainly isn't for little kids. (My 5 year spent most of the movie under her mom's arm) The story is fairly unique, and the main characters are deep, well written, and well voiced/acted. I have NEVER felt as attached to an animated character as I did to Princess Merida. Lastly, the animation is absolutely mind blowing. Without giving anything away, the animation on the bear when it gets out of the fishing stream is easily the best animation I have ever seen. Robert Bateman would be jealous. Go see this movie, but see it with an open mind and without expectations. You will be glad you did. Expand
  94. Oct 8, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Just NO. Uninspired. Mother turning into a bear...Come on -.-'' Teenage drama and not a good one. I just wish thy thought a little bit more abut it, it could have been some much better. It's a shame. Expand
  95. Jul 22, 2012
    I absolutely loved this movie. Its one of my favorite Pixar movies and my second favorite movie of the summer (Sorry but The Avengers still reigns supreme). The animation is absolutely amazing and don't even get me started on how gorgeous the animation for Merida's hair is. Don't even bother with the ridiculously lukewarm reviews that the critics have been giving this movie. Go see Brave ASAP!
  96. Jun 30, 2012
    This movie looks wonderful. Unfortunately, that is all it has going for it. Ultimately, Brave is an empty experience. The problem with it lies in the fact that it doesn't really have a point; it has no heart. It feels like they just kind of made a movie without any real thought to how to make it a story worth telling.
  97. Jul 3, 2012
    While this is not Pixar's greatest film. It looks incredible and the simple story allows the tension and depth of the characters show through. Every character is given room to breathe, and the story is more fun and scary (at times) because of it. Very enjoyable.
  98. Jul 11, 2012
    i loved brave it was so good and i cant believe 13 people gave it a 3 or less because i thought it was heart warming but at the same time sharing a lesson about how you have to be careful of what you wish for
  99. Jul 31, 2012
    Brave is one of Pixar's best looking movies but overall one of their weakest. Always to goofy and never as emotionally investing as could have been, and with Pixar, it should have been.

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.