7.2

1. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 0 because to many people give this a 10. I would say this movie deserves like a 6 or less.
    First of all even if its a kids movie it should still should have quality.
    They re used so many graphical scenes... the plot was amazingly thin and generic.

Okay so the plot...
    Princess forced to marry, she does not want to get married... shocker....
    she has a hissy fit and runs off and finds a witch with a potion to solve the problem... shocker...
    Potion has negative side effects... Oh didn't see that one coming......
    turns into a bear... wtf?
    bear fights...
    princess at ends has no interest in anyone and has some horrible speech about independence.
    the end.
  2. Apr 20, 2013
    Brave is new, is simple. Brave is a touching story about mother-daughter relationships.
  3. Apr 19, 2013
    I don't know why this film rated PG. Bear violence? This should be given an R rating! Nah, just kidding. But however, boys won't like this film like me, and if you expect another masterwork from Pixar, you will be dissapointed.
  4. Apr 19, 2013
    An average movie by Pixar, not reaching as strong as some of their past works, but still managing to hold memorable characters and well delivered morals. The main fault of this film is that it moved far into the realm of cliché, and quite early on the audience became more suited for children, but that does not deduct from the overall standards of the films.
  5. Apr 17, 2013
    Its difficult to come away from a Pixar film and not be blown away, I haven't seen Cars 2 and therefore can't comment on its mixed reaction, but even the first Cars film had me in awe, and while Brave is one of the funniest entries in Pixar's gleaming list of accolades, while still an excellent film, it doesn't fit well with their other movies and seems very Disney oriented, with various call outs to the typical Disney genre, the witch, the bears the princess etc.
    With a Scottish backdrop, Brave is told at a time of magical fantasy with kings, queens and castles, and when flaming red-haired teenager Merida (Kelly MacDonald) tries to be her own person, she comes into conflict with her mother, Queen Elinor (Emma Thompson) who wants her daughter to be raised the traditional way.
    Brave kicked off proceedings with a very nervy and edgy start, but a start that didn't seem to develop, we see Merida making a fool out of all her potential husbands with a bow and arrow, but nothing seems to develop from her skill with such a weapon, and although the plot that unfolds is pretty thoughtful and detailed, it always seems like the film was started to lead into something different.
    The message within the film refers to the relationship between Merida and her mother, but again this never seems to have time to make enough of an emotional impact to justify the climax of the film.
    Saying that though, Merida is a very intriguing and interesting character, and it was certainly a nice change to see a perhaps male-dominated generation to be upstaged by this flame-haired princess and skilled heroine.
    As usual, Pixar continue to push out the most breathtaking an beautifully animated films in recent memory, and Brave is no exception. The Scottish Highlands are the perfect backdrop for the fairytale feel of a film, with rapturous bagpipe tunes to set the tone of the film and show off its true beauty.
    Comedy-wise, it doesn't disappoint, with Merida's younger brothers, triplets, being the funniest of them all, playing their pranks whether it is with their father or cake stealing off a maid, the humour, topped with the accent, makes for a wonderfully funny 90 mins.
    Yes, 90 mins (if not less) and it does certainly seem so as the film does seem to speed its way through, but although the truly unique feel of a Pixar film perhaps isn't in full force with Brave, there is enough laughter and enough visual spectacle, along with an excellent voice cast that make this enjoyable, if not solely for the adult wanting a previous Pixar effort, then certainly the children.
  6. Apr 3, 2013
    While Brave is certainly smarter than your average animated film, it nonetheless lacks the charm that permeates nearly every other Pixar film. It's still a very solid film that features some fantastic voice work, but Pixar has yet to return to its true form of masterful animation filmmaking.
  7. Mar 30, 2013
    I first have to praise the animators at Pixar, the film really does look quite stunning, as we’ve come to expect. I will put aside the many historical inaccuracies or I could be here all day; needless to say, a lot of poetic license has been used. There were some really comic moments which I found quite refreshing, but the general narrative was skewed towards a female audience (I felt). Not that that’s a bad thing; I still found myself wrapped up in the story as much as I would have been if it had been a more male orientated work. Over all, it’s very enjoyable with some great comic moments. Definitely one for mothers and daughters rather than fathers and sons, but still worth a look if you have the inclination.

SteelMonster’s verdict: RECOMMENDED

My score: 7.3/10
  8. Mar 15, 2013
    I liked this movie, but up against other Pixar movies it falls short. The beginning of this movie is the best part, but when the twist happens and the story comes together it kind of goes down hill.
  9. Mar 12, 2013
    Enjoyable to watch, this movie is actually a pretty good Disney project. Emotional and funny but for sure, not one of the best. I give "Brave" 7/10, because i think it's great and i recommend this to all kids and teens
  10. Feb 12, 2013
    Portuguese Brazil

Gostei da produção: Bela trabalho gráfico e iluminação, realmente magnifico! A personalidade do elenco deixa-o melhor ainda, a historia não ficou tão ruim apesar já ser usado em outros filmes, estou a espera do filme 2!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

English

I liked the production: Beautiful artwork and lighting, truly magnificent! The personality of the cast makes it even better, the story was not so bad despite already being used in other films, I'm waiting for the movie 2!
  11. Feb 5, 2013
    Of all the Pixar films, this one has me REALLY conflicted as to my opinion of it. The first 30 minutes set up a movie that looks to be something of legend. Then, it goes all Disney on me!? Totally changing the narrative to something else completely. A real shame. Had it continued the way it was going, it would have been phenomenal. But, that mild disappointment aside: It still manages to be very charming and delivers a movie worthy of Disney Pixar. If anything this is the first Pixar film I can say is a perfect example of the two studios working together as one. Animation is spectacular. Voice acting is excellent. Writing is. Is! Is? A little disjointed but that aside still rather charming. Overall: A real shame that the movie wasn't "Brave" enough to be a bit more daring and take the leap that it looked like it was going to. Still, the Disney route was still allot of fun too. Expand
  12. Feb 3, 2013
    Overall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I saw this year it was still good. If you want to see a film with a female protagonist set in Irealnd with decent story and characters check Brave out. While I cannot gurantee you will love this film as much Up or Toy Story 3 you will at least like it and who knows maybe you will love it more than I did because this is a good film. Expand
  13. Jan 29, 2013
    If you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, up to the credits. Imagine if you watched a movie where the main character was a vegetarian. She goes up to a Burger King and says, "I want something that tastes good." So then the vegetarian gets a burger at the window. But it doesn't end there! She takes a bite! Then she spits the burger out the window and gets super mad at the employee, who says she's welcome to pull back around and order mozzarella sticks or something. The vegetarian then spends the rest of the movie deciding what to eat before figuring out that she could just pull her car around and order something without meat. And then music plays and you rejoice in the fact that the girl finally made the right decision. That's what this movie is like. Expand
  14. Jan 26, 2013
    Pixar has done it again. This movie is simply magical, and great for families. It's beautifully animated, has excellent voice acting, and a heart-warming story. I have to admit after watching Cars 2 I was a little worried that this movie might flop, but Pixar has once again struck gold.
  15. Jan 18, 2013
    The trailer made it look like it had a really good story but then goes of some random tangent, lost our interest. Probably Pixar's worst movie! skip this one.
  16. Jan 9, 2013
    Brave, as to expected from Pixar, is a visually stunning animated family film with fluid action scenes and a great sense of immersion into this film's created world. The plot of reforging a bond between mother and daughter was undeniably sweet but came across a slightly cliched -- the rebellious child going off and making deals with a witch (The Little Mermaid, anyone?). One of my main issues was Merida -- her character design seemed to be a bit off. Whilst her hair was amazing and I understand the effort the animators went through to give life to those wildfire-red curls, I parsed over the 2D concept art and believe she would have been transferred to the screen better in a medium that wasn't 3D. Dialogue wise, some of the Scottish accents seem to have been softened so that audiences could understand -- this does not majorly detract from the film, but it irked me slightly. The humour was a tad generic at times (Her brothers and father) -- but these are all sidenotes. Merida and her mother and the adventure they go through are this film's selling points and their dialogue, interactions, their hardships and their overarching story are indeed touching and entertaining. Watch this film as a standalone movie and you won't be disappointed -- try holding it up to Pixar's greats and you might be. Expand
  17. Jan 7, 2013
    i liked brave, but ot as much as i'd hoped. granted, the last pixar movie i've seen is up, and that one is in my top 10 movies ever seen. brave played out like a sort of standard fantasy adventure movie, but as one of those, it's still a good movie.
  18. Jan 4, 2013
    I was a little curious about this movie, but yet was excited to see it because I love Pixar. The trailer looked pretty good and seemed like an adventure film about a Princess that loves archery. It looks like an awesome adventure and would seem like a kick ass Princess film. However, it wasn't exactly as adventuress as I thought it would be, it was more like a typical Princess story with its parental problems like before from Disney. But I still don't think it is a bad one, yet its not as strong as I hoped. The animation was beautiful, even the Princess's design was pretty cool. I also like the characters like the father / King, I love that guy. He was funny, lovable, memorable, and such a great character. I also like the Princess herself, she was cliche'd a bit but not in a bad way. The three little sons were hilarious. The thing that kind of was a little disappointing was the story. Again, I was expecting an epic adventure, but it was more to grow the connection with the Princess and Queen. The Queen turns into a bear and won't change back till the broken relation is fixed. It's not a bad story, but I was expecting a little more. I think Brave was pretty decent and enjoyable, but its sadly not the Strongest from Pixar. But its still pretty good, I'd give it a chance to check it out. Expand
  19. Dec 30, 2012
    Brave was a film set up to fail. During the time Disney was coming back from Cars 2 and John Carter so this wasn't looked at in the best light. Also its something entirely different for Pixar. But as soon as watch in awe the first act you are set up for a classic....you don't get a classic but you get a very very good movie. The visuals are spectacular....also one of the best examples for 3D. The story is also very good...a nod to the mother-daughter relationship. As you can see this movie is set around the women...the men are well idiots to say the least, except for the triplets they are on a class of their own. The plot is great the only thing that it lacks is that edge. Even if its something new for Pixar its not entirely new for Disney. Expand
  20. Zal
    Dec 23, 2012
    In some ways, this movie exceeded my expectations. In other ways, it didn't. The best thing about this movie was the mother-daughter bond. How many movies (let alone Disney movies) can you think of that have such a theme? It helps that both characters are well written and easy to relate to. Both Merida and Eleanor make valid points but both are also very stubborn and refuse to hear the other one out. The first act of this movie is solid. The rest is a roller coaster. I won't say what happens but there were scenes that came across as very slapstick-y (until the last few scenes) and it took me out of the drama. It wants to be a simple story about a mother and daughter relationship but it wants to be an epic, too. It succeeds in the former but the later needed a lot of work. This is a movie with its heart in the right place and I hope that someone will see this and decide to make another movie with the same themes but done better. Expand
  21. Dec 16, 2012
    "Brave" has all the ingredients of a Pixar movie and like all the others it is a completely masterpiece. The problem is that people can't see a Pixar movie without thinking on Up, Wall-E, Ratatouille, etc. Let's see the film, enjoy it and think that it's a new and different adventure. Maybe it is not has good as the most recent Pixar movies, but it still being a marvelous and well-done movie.
  22. Dec 12, 2012
    Sure, 'Brave' has stunning animation. What else? By that I mean: What else is there that we haven't seen before, but have come to expect from Pixar? Exactly. This is a mild animation entry that certainly is worth your money, but maybe not your time. It's great to look at. Your kids will love it. But the majority of moviegoers have lived long enough to be able to demand more from a feature than something neatly packaged, while remaining hollow deep down. Admittedly, there are glimpses into the movie that could of been, or was at least imagined to be, but 'Brave' isn't it. In fact, while nowhere near as horrible as 'Cars 2', it stands as one of Pixar's laziest efforts. Expand
  23. Dec 11, 2012
    Inadvertently I have watched this two Disney animations hand-in-hand (TANGLED is from the orthodox Disney branch while BRAVE is its flagship Pixar production), which seems to be a perfect paradigm to juxtapose them together and to dissect the state-of-the-art tendency of the mainstream genre (enormously profitable since its chief target are zero in on family with children, so it has a much more important and instructive obligation other than merely an entertainment for the toddlers and above). Coincidentally both films' heroines are princess (Rapunzel in TANGLED and a Scottish Merida in BRAVE), adapted from Grimm Brothers' tale, TANGLED is supremely reminiscent of Disney's other established princess analogs trapped in a magic world, let's say Snow White, Sleeping Beauty and Cinderella, what's more, there will always be a prince-charming to deserve and requite her love. Wisely Rapunzel's Flynn Rider has been sizeably modernized as a reckless, self-mocking yet conservatively "Disney" prince with a thief background. But in BRAVE, Merida is a much more radical rebel by blood, she doesn't have or need a prince with white horse (the film doesn't care to proffer one since all her tribe suitors are one-of-a-kind wackos), she is fighting against her predestined life path which her mother has arranged for her and her status has requested her, a tad thread-bone notwithstanding, but chronicling with a single-linear arc, the mother-daughter predicament has slipped to the hanging-by-a-thread situation when a magic spell transfigures the Queen's appearance into a bear which cannot be recanted after the second sunrise, therefore, instigates an intimate bonding phase for the two, viscerally the mutual love only exudes when something unusual happens, while living in the mundane life, we are all suffering and grated by the love with a insurmountable generation gap. Rapunzel, on the other hand, her main barrier is the ultimate breakthrough from her "mother" Gothel (a greatly overlooked Donna Murphy), who raises her and locks her up in the tower for 18 years, treats her as her own out of a selfish but very understandable motivation (to rejuvenate her youth), but out of any sequential transition, all of a sudden Rapunzel miraculously remember her princess identity (she was taken away when she was an infant, so I doubt there is any memory there, more like an implausible epiphany or actually a screenwriter's block), what's more unbelievably awkward is that she immediately snarls back to her "mother" as if all the recollections of Gothel's evil scheme has been replayed in front of her eyes and she has been tortured for all that year long (actually she is fairly happy and content alone with her cutesy chameleon) , which I deem as a child's play, very much panders to its core audience of pre-school demography. So, from a vantage point under the contemporary context, BRAVE is far more daring and enthralling from its "no guts no glory" premise, it is able to identify with a way broader audience, which is also the main ingredient of the winsome recipe "why Pixar can keep excelling all its peers (if not itself) on the top-tier of the hierarchy", in spite of that on a technical level, all the major animation studios in Hollywood (DREAMWORKS, BLUE SKY STUDIOS, etc.) are almost equally cutting-edge. Music is Disney's strong suit, the first half of TANGLED is a conventional musical showcase, culminating the saccharine romance with the Oscar-nominated theme-song I SEE THE LIGHT, fusing with an intoxicating lanterns-all-over-the-sky spectacle, this has always been the tactic to emit Disney's overblown sentimentality, I am certain it is no longer an all-age proof method now. In BRAVE, although Kelly Macdonald and Emma Thompson's heavy Scottish accents do not get along with my ears, the exotic score and tunes are generally agreeable, and what's more admirable, it doesn't steal the thunder of the film per se. Honestly speaking after the astonishingly-acclaimed WALL-E (2008, 9/10), UP (2009, 9/10) and TOY STORY 3 (2010, 9/10), I automatically skipped last years CAR 2 (2011), BRAVE is a left-field choice, the scale of the story has been slimmed down to a quite unimaginable mother-daughter clash, even grafting it on the most platitudinous soil of a princess's tale. But by good fortune, the film doesn't smear Pixar's paramount reputation, Merida goes through a well-deployed rite-of-passage and the sub-plots such as the blue wisps, the ancient lore of the discontent brother and the witch's hut are all positioned into the right niche to uplift the mythology and idiosyncrasy of the film. As for TANGLED, Disney will never relinquish its tradition (otherwise Walt Disney will definitely be jumping inside his tomb), and it is also an exquisitely-made piece of work, just unfortunately paled by comparison by BRAVE since there is no sparks glittering and all the chirpy happiness seems synthetic and a bit stale. Expand
  24. Dec 9, 2012
    It looks as beautiful as you expect it to be and the story is top notch but Disney's influence is clear. It's a bit too sickeningly sweet in places. It's a safe film, nothing off the wall or unique/intriguing about it like Wall-E or Up. I couldn't sit through it all.
  25. Dec 7, 2012
    A great animated film that presents the incredible story of a redheaded girl and her magical adventures.
  26. Nov 30, 2012
    "Brave" is yet another beautiful masterpiece from Pixar Studios, telling the story of a Scottish princess who causes chaos in her efforts to be independent, and her gripping adventure to fix it. As can be expected from Pixar, the film is gorgeously animated and a pure joy to watch, and as a whole is one of their more entertaining and intelligent mixes of humor, zaniness, and heartfelt storytelling
  27. Nov 29, 2012
    Kind of a disappointment when I watched Brave. I didnt enjoy the animations, I was looking forward to high detailed computer animations. But the background trees were very genertic looking. Close ups, were done very well. The accents really annoyed me as well! They should of made the story more of a fantasy as well.
  28. Nov 29, 2012
    I thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seem more accurate. Also, the previews didn't do a very good job at representing the movie. The previews made it seem like the protagonist, Merida, would become overwhelmed and then run away from home. During this adventure, she would "find herself" by overcoming various obstacles during the course of the film. While this was partly true, the "adventure" lasted about 5 minutes and didn't lead her to any form of self discovery. Instead, she ended up back home and the path the movie took from here wasn't all that entertaining. The movie looked incredible and the voice acting was great but the plot just didn't unfold in the way I thought it should've. Still, this was a very good movie that the whole family can enjoy. Expand
  29. Nov 28, 2012
    It may not be as impressive as other Pixar adventures, but "Brave" still survives with its charming animation and storytelling.
  30. Nov 16, 2012
    Plot wise it is hard to believe it is a pixar movie. The story is flat and boring. While, other Pixar movies such as Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and so many others were instant classics that anyone no matter their age could enjoy, this was a 1 character story that could be explained in 10 seconds. I get what they were trying to do by having a female princess who was tough and tomboyish but it felt like that was all the movie was and that simply isn't enough for it to be a great movie. Pixar isn't the only studio in town anymore, with rivals making masterpieces such as Rio and Bee Movie. I hope that this is only a 1 time hit and miss from Pixar because it would be a shame if this is when they start going downhill. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.