7.3

1. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This does not stand up to Pixar's other work. It's sloppy and poorly executed, in short. It's overstuffed with plot threads and conflict but fails to find resolution for any or find a reasonable way to tie them together. It ended up being thematically contradictory. And maybe worst of all, it ended up being way more boring than it needed to be; the plot was so totally without ambition or surprise, it lacked interest as well. Let's talk specifics.

Who was the main villain? Was it the twisted witch who created the spell that turned the queen into a bear? I guess not, because she disappeared in the middle of the movie. Was it the other clan heads? I don't think so, since they all joined together with the protagonists in the end--after we were told (and never, ever shown) that they had actually been best friends the whole time. So I guess it was the big evil bear who serves as the final boss then, huh?

What was up with that bear anyway? Okay, so he used to be a prince but he tried to change his fate and was inadvertently punished by becoming a bear. So he's like a symbol of how we shouldn't try to change our fate, I guess? And then he attacks the clansmen because of his lingering, ill-advised drive to overtake them and become supreme ruler, right? Well, no, because after he's killed we see his spirit, and his spirit is apparently relieved and thankful that he was freed from the bear. And if the queen is any example, he had long since been acting totally under bear impulses the whole time. So the main villain was basically a wild bear and only ever enters the film because he just happened to be around, we guess? And then we had to kill him? Was anything in the film resolved with his death, besides just one less bear in the forest?

How DID they kill him? Did the main character get to use her archery skills which were pretty heavily established by the first act, and every trailer and poster and promotional artwork for the film? Nope! Did the father finally have his revenge on the evil bear, which is pretty much all he ever talked about doing? Nope! Oh, maybe the clansmen all joined together and showed their renewed unity by defeating the legendary bear monster! Nope, that wasn't it. The mother and daughter join forces kinda but are pretty useless against the final boss, and instead they end up killing him by pushing a stonehedge rock on him. Which is pretty confusing, thematically, since the stonehedge rocks _also_ represented changing of fate in some weird way. And then the traitorous prince spirit gets relief, so... what are we even saying here? That he deserved to go free? Seriously, what point is being made here? Is changing your destiny good or bad?

And hey for that matter why does the heroine always talk about "changing her fate" like that's a real, concrete thing that people can just do? So much of this destiny-speak just honestly comes off sounding like gibberish. And also also what the HECK was up the unbearably cheesy montages over unbearably cheesy female vocals? Where you hear a musical number about reaching for the stars while the daughter rides around on her horse with her hair rushing in the breeze? It's just silly.

There's just so much wrong and so little time to illuminate all of it. Somebody needed to spend more time thinking about this and tightening the script.
  2. Sep 7, 2012
    BRAVE is nothing short of an EPIC FAIL.
    BRAVE is nothing short of an EPIC FAIL.
    I gotta give it to Pixar: even when they screw up, they do it big time. There is no saving this movie, and I have a hard time understanding all the good comments when it's so evident it misses all but the most important spots. Though visually impressive, I've hated it in a way I never expected, even more so because I've loved most of the previous Pixar movies, and respected those I didn't. Why? Because time and again, Pixar has always managed to impress me not just with its technical excellency, but most of all with the profound originality of its plots, the charisma of its characters and the beautifully detailed and rich atmosphere of its movies. There is nothing of that here! The characters are completely flat, unbelievable cliches, and Merida itself is the worst of them all, I've stopped tolerating her after like 5 minutes. The movie, more or less, manages to hold itself together in the first part, but it literally commits suicide in the first ten minutes of the second part and from that moment it's a long and painful downfall to the worst Disney story templates. When the script should capitalize on dramatic moments, it trips over itself with several sequences of bad comedy which, other than not funny, are downright irritating. The villain is virtually non-existent and the whole point of the story resolves in a pesky, predictable mother-daughter relationship renewal. The movie also suffers a lot from the celtic atmosphere remaining largely unexploited. Long story short: weak story, nonexistent characters and predictable outcome made this movie a miserable product way under the expectations. It could have been a great movie if only it had been developed more seriously.
  3. Nov 16, 2012
    Plot wise it is hard to believe it is a pixar movie. The story is flat and boring. While, other Pixar movies such as Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and so many others were instant classics that anyone no matter their age could enjoy, this was a 1 character story that could be explained in 10 seconds. I get what they were trying to do by having a female princess who was tough andPlot wise it is hard to believe it is a pixar movie. The story is flat and boring. While, other Pixar movies such as Up, Finding Nemo, Monsters Inc., and so many others were instant classics that anyone no matter their age could enjoy, this was a 1 character story that could be explained in 10 seconds. I get what they were trying to do by having a female princess who was tough and tomboyish but it felt like that was all the movie was and that simply isn't enough for it to be a great movie. Pixar isn't the only studio in town anymore, with rivals making masterpieces such as Rio and Bee Movie. I hope that this is only a 1 time hit and miss from Pixar because it would be a shame if this is when they start going downhill. Expand
  4. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 0 because to many people give this a 10. I would say this movie deserves like a 6 or less.
    First of all even if its a kids movie it should still should have quality.
    They re used so many graphical scenes... the plot was amazingly thin and generic.

Okay so the plot...
    Princess forced to marry, she does not want to get married... shocker....
    she has a hissy fit and runs off and finds a witch with a potion to solve the problem... shocker...
    Potion has negative side effects... Oh didn't see that one coming......
    turns into a bear... wtf?
    bear fights...
    princess at ends has no interest in anyone and has some horrible speech about independence.
    the end.
  5. Jan 29, 2013
    If you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, upIf you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, up to the credits. Imagine if you watched a movie where the main character was a vegetarian. She goes up to a Burger King and says, "I want something that tastes good." So then the vegetarian gets a burger at the window. But it doesn't end there! She takes a bite! Then she spits the burger out the window and gets super mad at the employee, who says she's welcome to pull back around and order mozzarella sticks or something. The vegetarian then spends the rest of the movie deciding what to eat before figuring out that she could just pull her car around and order something without meat. And then music plays and you rejoice in the fact that the girl finally made the right decision. That's what this movie is like. Expand
  6. Jul 13, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is an agenda to this movie that I would keep in mind if you decide to attend this movie and If you want to promote it than spend your money on it. the agenda is one of self centered behavior being acceptable and what ever you want to do to promote your own behavior, what ever that is including disrespect of others it is O K. The "heroine" is one of the most rebellious and self centered animated individuals I have ever had the pleasure of watching. In this "Its all about me" styled of movie this agenda most probably fits in, on the other hand if you wish to keep your kids from believing that is is all about them and their disrespect of your authority as a parent is O K t as well as the disrespect of others it is not a movie for your family. The tradition of mate selection represented in this movie is obviously out dated but the rebellious spirit this movie represents is not. . I do not very often think poorly of Pixar movies but this one of them. I must say the animation is well done, it is to bad the story line and the general theme is not. I thought is would be something different than what is was. Expand
  7. Jun 25, 2012
    I went into this really excited to see a fantastic movie from Pixar. What I got was a very shallow story filled with an agenda to promote but thankfully executed terribly.

From what I've read from other reviewers are some really weird positive feedback like this movie isn't like the typical fairy tale story, but I completely disagree. The whole style of the movie is a complete rip off of How to Train your Dragon, then there's a witch that does evil & a girl that is a carbon copy of Ariel from the little Mermaid. (She also has the same red hair but instead it's curly) The worst part about this movie is it's trying to promote singleness which is ok if somebody wants to be single, but it raises the question as to why they want to promote this agenda. It made for a dull movie in the end, there's nothing happy about it. The family model was a very troubled one, & the girl was a medium at best. This is one of those movies that sums itself up well in the trailer. There's really nothing more to the movie except some bears, mixed feminism(which was really strange) perhaps the writer got broken up with or beaten by their father. It had no premise. Ultimately I believe the writer was very simple minded, liked slap stick humor & would choose themselves over sacrifice any chance they got.
  8. Jul 10, 2012
    I was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who lookedI was really disappointed with this film. I'm not a big movie buff but my husband and kids love spending the afternoon at the movies so I was happy to join them this time after seeing the trailers on tv. I loved the main heroine and her mother because they were beautiful and full of spunk, spirit and life, but the male characters were gross looking -- there wasn't even one who looked Prince Charming-ish or even remotely easy on the eyes. I laughed a couple of times throughout the movie, but overall, our whole family of 5 walked out of the theater thinking we'd already seen the best parts on the trailer. I agree with another reviewers comment below: "When you are not cheering for anyone in the story, you don't care about anything that happens to them." Would not consider seeing it again or renting it. Expand
  9. Jun 23, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pixar what were you thinking? Great movie for adults and older teens good story plot ok graphics. I figured some adult type jokes for the rating of PG. Had I KNOWN BEFORE about the 20 ish drunk Scottish clan running across the screen in complete view of their naked cartoon rears on the big screen in 3d I would have never taken my kids to see your movie!! Naked is naked even if it's cartoon naked! Mark your movies correctly with Some NUDITY!! Not a mind reader here! Expand
  10. Mar 29, 2014
    I have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that AcademyI have no idea why this film won the Academy Award for Best Animated Feature 2012, Brave was not that great. It had a very bland story with very bland themes and it was not inspiring at all. I really don't know why Pixar made a stupid film like this. All it was was just eye candy which was good as usual for Pixar, but the story was not good. Wreck-It Ralph should have won that Academy Award, that film was actually creative; I felt that they just gave the film that reward just because it's Pixar...that's it. Besides the Cars films, Brave is one of Pixar's biggest mistakes. I would not recommend it. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.