7.3

1. Jul 8, 2012
    I've been dreading writing this down. Specially when it comes to Pixar. I have loved every single one of their movies. Even Cars. Not that it was their strongest suit. But everywhere else, I always walked out of the movie theater being thankful this company came together. It's one of those you know extra care goes in to make things abnormally special.
    Not with this one. I can't put my
    Not with this one. I can't put my finger on it. The trailer was amazing. I knew I had to see this thing. I had my enormous popcorn and even larger soda. All was going according to plan. And then a bear showed up... Yes. A bear... interestingly enough the people I went to see this with loved the bear thing. I just couldn't wrap myself around it. What the heck does someone turning into bear have to do with being brave in life. Ok, so the girl needs to be less selfish and follow her mother's dictate. As most children should. I'm with you there. But in the story they seem to promote that when you go out of your way to change your future against the establishment things turn out for the worst. I gotta say, I'm not down with that. If anything, the girl was selfish for involving her mother in her own rebellious attitude, that about the only message I see here... But, a bear?
    I did feel a couple of emotional moments. These guys know how to get you. They've done it enough times. And there is no doubt that the graphics get better and better. Take a close look at that girl's red hair. I can't imagine animating and rendering that thing.
    Truth be told, I am yet to come across anyone that felt the movie was below par. Everyone is recommending it, and, actually, so do I. Go see it. You won't be disappointed... I will say, though, this is no Wally. Now, that one, is more like what I expect of Pixar.
  2. Jun 22, 2012
    Last year, Pixar gave us Cars 2. Critics and audience members alike were appalled at the product. It was no where near the masterpieces that Pixar had brought us previously. But while it wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed Cars 2. But I definitely didn't want Pixar to keep making movies like Cars 2. I wanted more masterpieces. So Brave comes along. The film that everyone is hoping will saveLast year, Pixar gave us Cars 2. Critics and audience members alike were appalled at the product. It was no where near the masterpieces that Pixar had brought us previously. But while it wasn't perfect, I still enjoyed Cars 2. But I definitely didn't want Pixar to keep making movies like Cars 2. I wanted more masterpieces. So Brave comes along. The film that everyone is hoping will save the day and remind us all why we love Pixar.

Unfortunately, many critics aren't all that impressed with Brave, and while MOST of the critics liked it, the reception has been a little disappointing, especially when you consider how well the rest of the Pixar films have done. Brave is being considered one of the worst Pixar films.

But I think this is bizarre. I'm not quite sure why this is being met with such lukewarm reception. Brave is nothing short of a masterpiece. In fact, it's one of Pixar's BETTER films, in my opinion.

Brave (originally titled The Bear and the Bow) is about a princess named Merida who wants to be an archer. Unfortunately for her, Merida's mother, Elinor, wants Merida to be a bit more ladylike. Merida puts up with her mother, but when she's being forced to marry before she's even ready. There's an argument between the Merida and Elinor, a witch, and next thing you know Elinor is a bear. So Merida must change her mother back to a human and at the same time, regain her bond with her mother.

Brave has all the ingredients that every good movie needs. For one, the characters are very memorable. I doubt any of them will replace anyone's favorite Pixar character, but they're funny and well developed. Also, Brave is very funny. It's not as humorous as Up or the Toy Story films, but there's enough gags to entertain adults and kids. Admittedly, some of the humor feels a bit more tilted towards the Dreamworks canon, but I still found myself laughing often.

The last main ingredient; heart. And Brave has heart to spare. Pixar has almost always managed to make me cry, I don't mind saying. But then came Cars 2. Sure it made me laugh, and the animation impressed, but I never felt any real emotional connection with anything going onscreen.

But Brave reminded me why I look forward to Pixar films every year. I did cry at times, and there were times when I held back tears. Brave is one of the most moving pictures I've ever seen. Seeing Merida and Elinor's relationship grow as the film progresses, and the sacrifices they make for each other is particularly moving. Rarely do I feel so engaged with the characters.

Some critics were complaining about the uneven tones. From soft mother-daughter scenes, to boy-ish humor. I actually LIKED the shifts in tone. There were times when things got a little tragic and humor really helped to lighten the mood.

Patrick Doyle composed the score for Brave. This is his first time scoring a Pixar film, and having heard very little of Doyle's scores, I wasn't sure how I'd like his music. Well, Doyle has proved himself a hundred times over. I was extremely impressed with the score, and hope to see Doyle compose more Pixar films in the future.

The voice acting is, as usual for a Pixar film, superb. The voices are a little more recognizable this time around, but in the end, I wouldn't have changed anything. Kelly MacDonald does a more than respectable job as Merida, while Emma Thompson does excellently as mother (though unfortunately, she spends most of the movie as a bear). And Billy Connoly does a hilarious job as Fergus, Merida's rambunctious father.

And naturally, the animation is gorgeous. Easily outdoing any of Pixar's previous films. Trees, water, mist, hair, all of the above. Pixar does an eleven-out-of-ten job on their animation, making Brave the best looking animated film of the year thus far.

Brave is being unfairly labeled as one of Pixar's weaker films, and a merely decent film. Brave is, in fact, a masterpiece and hopefully the so-so reviews and the female protagonist won't stop male audience members from seeing it. Cars 2 was decent, but left me nervous as to Pixar's future. Brave has put all those fears to rest. Pixar is back baby: Hopefully forever.

Note: Brave was preceded by a short film entitled La Luna. This was both imaginative and magical. Don't come late or you'll miss it, and you will not want to miss this.
  3. Jun 22, 2012
    Pixar has made another great animated film! Pixar has come back after their worst reviewed movie, Cars 2. Even though it isn't flawless like Ratatouille and The Incredibles, it still delivers a very comedic and action packed movie. Pixar has definitely made a comeback.
  4. Nov 4, 2012
    Unfortunately, Brave is too thinly plotted to be on the level of animated films like "Up" and "Toy Story 3". Sure, Cars 2 may not have the charm of previous pixar shows, but at least the plot knew where it was going. Brave is a risk that doesn't pay off because Merida doesn't get the narrative she deserves. Merida is a great character, but she deserves more than this.
  5. Jun 22, 2012
    Great movie. Yes, it does not break new ground for the most part, following traditional disney fare. But as a father of a five year old girl, I cringe every time my daughter wants to to see The Little Mermaid, or Beauty and the Beast. Brave has a strong female lead, good story, stunning visuals, and breathtaking score.
  6. Jun 22, 2012
    i think brave have a place with a pixars movies like the incredibles and monsters inc because of the story of brave is not brilliant like up and wall e but he is exciting and funny enough to be a pixar movie :)
  7. May 15, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I give this a 0 because to many people give this a 10. I would say this movie deserves like a 6 or less.
    First of all even if its a kids movie it should still should have quality.
    They re used so many graphical scenes... the plot was amazingly thin and generic.

Okay so the plot...
    Princess forced to marry, she does not want to get married... shocker....
    she has a hissy fit and runs off and finds a witch with a potion to solve the problem... shocker...
    Potion has negative side effects... Oh didn't see that one coming......
    turns into a bear... wtf?
    bear fights...
    princess at ends has no interest in anyone and has some horrible speech about independence.
    the end.
  8. Jun 22, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. People seem to be complaining about Pixar somehow letting themselves down by doing a formulaic Disney/fairytale Princess movie but I didn't see it that way at all. Yes, that's basically what it is. But first of all, what's wrong with that? And secondly, it's not as formulaic as I expected. There are many very familiar elements, as there are in all fairy tales, but what I loved was how Pixar found ways to put a fresh wrinkle on those elements.

Primarily, I loved the fact that here, for once, is a princess movie that absolutely does NOT rely on the princess falling in love with or being rescued by a handsome prince. I've always wondered why fairy tales so consistently teach young girls that they need a man to solve their problems for them. Many modern retellings of fairy tales do take a more contemporary approach by presenting a spunkier, more independent princess who doesn't need the handsome prince, but Brave deviates much further by not having a prince at all. Merida doesn't fall in love, doesn't meet the man of her dreams, because that's not what she needs and it's not what the movie is about. The movie's love story is between the girl and her mother - and how often do you see that? The movie, like Merida, is emotionally independent and follows its own path despite the traditional expectations placed upon it.

Other familiar elements are given fresh takes too. I love that the witch is not evil, she's simply just not very good at being a witch. Even though the movie is set in a romanticized fairy tale version of Scotland it felt very authentic to me. Certainly moreso than How To Train Your Dragon - which I also loved, but I couldn't get past the bizarre decision to have the faux-Nordic heroes speak like Scots, except for the hero who for some reason was American.

The movie also has more than its fair share of hilarious Pixar sight gags and character moments. Oh, and can I just say that I love how Pixar consistently casts ACTORS rather than falling victim to the celebrity-casting trap that so many animation studios do. I need to see it again (just found out there is a Dolby Atmos cinema here in town) but I think it might actually be my favorite Pixar movie already. I could find nothing wrong with it.
  9. Jul 12, 2012
    Good, but not as good as other Disney/ Pixar collaborations. It ranks above Cars 2, but it's just about the bottom from there. With movies like Wall-E to live up to, that fact is not surprising. I'd say it's one of the greatest animated movies of the year however. The main character is spunky and fun to watch. As are the rest of the family. In fact, most of the characters were interesting.Good, but not as good as other Disney/ Pixar collaborations. It ranks above Cars 2, but it's just about the bottom from there. With movies like Wall-E to live up to, that fact is not surprising. I'd say it's one of the greatest animated movies of the year however. The main character is spunky and fun to watch. As are the rest of the family. In fact, most of the characters were interesting. It had a few really good laughs and chuckles throughout. If you have seen the trailers, do not be fooled. It is not really an adventure across the land as advertised. the commercials did a terrible job of showing this movie. their are no hints as to the plot. which in some ways is good, but many would be surprised as to the plot. Interesting, but not the best. That is why I gave it a 7. Expand
  10. Jun 22, 2012
    Love Love Love this movie! this movie is Completely a pixar movie! Amazing story not one of the BRILLIANT pixars movie נוא Delivers the good of the summer and the pixars movie
  11. Jun 27, 2012
    Better than Cars 2 and Cars. The movie's special effects are new to Pixar but great nonetheless. A fantastic introduction to Future Female Pixar heroines.
  12. Jun 23, 2012
    The newest addition to the infamous Pixar line-up, Brave, is pure, cinematic magic. It is nothing like any other masterpiece the studio has impressed us with before, but is in no way inferior to its predecessors. The film takes place in the Scottish highlands. As soon as the beautifully crafted scenery graced the silver screen, I was in love. Being at least a quarter Scottish myself, IThe newest addition to the infamous Pixar line-up, Brave, is pure, cinematic magic. It is nothing like any other masterpiece the studio has impressed us with before, but is in no way inferior to its predecessors. The film takes place in the Scottish highlands. As soon as the beautifully crafted scenery graced the silver screen, I was in love. Being at least a quarter Scottish myself, I have a special place in my heart for the stunning country. The film centers on the royal family and their clan, the somewhat dysfunctional yet lovable DunBroch. You can't help but laugh whenever King Fergus is on the screen. Though he has a rough and rugged exterior, he's clearly a secret softie, harboring undying love for his family. The several moments between the king and queen in the film are sweet, heartfelt, and endearing, and the fact that they're complete opposites and still manage to maintain that subtle "spark" in their marriage is extraordinary. Queen Elinor, though it may surprise you, is undoubtedly the character that captured my heart and attention the most. I wish to express my sheer gratitude to the animators that worked on her. One can hardly tell she's animated; every expression she holds is extremely detailed and beautifully sculpted, even on her bear counterpart. Kudos to the animators; I just wish we had seen more of the queen's human form. The three adorable triplet boys, Harris, Hubert, and Hamish, provide a bit of comic relief throughout the movie, and play a key role in the film. And, that brings us to everyone's favorite tomboy, Princess Merida, the spirited and somewhat stubborn daughter of Fergus and Elinor. Her fiery, curly locks are to be admired. They captured my attention and put me under a spell, just as Merida did to her mother. Determined to choose her own path in life, Merida goes against traditional values and seeks the help of a witch in order to sway her mother's opinion of an arranged marriage - an overused topic in fairy tales, but does nothing to diminish the message the film conveys. Though the main storyline is admittedly a bit cliché, it still radiates charm that can undoubtedly be recognized as a Pixar film. Not only is Brave heartwarming, it's also packed with action, complete with a demon bear, a beastly curse, and a race against time to save a beloved member of the clan. The voice actors chosen to portray the characters couldn't be more perfect in their roles. The beautiful and somewhat tearful ending to the film nearly had a stoic movie-goer like myself cry tears of joy, and I enjoyed one last laugh at a final comedic moment within the family. Viewers are provided with closure at the end of the film - the mother and daughter duo we've grown to adore has strengthened their bond as a result of their ordeal, and their friendship is as close as ever. It's the perfect ending to a wonderful and satisfying film. Though I had been slightly disappointed in Pixar after Cars 2, Brave has thoroughly restored my faith in Pixar, and the film has enough classic Disney flair to provide audiences of all ages with a joyous ride through the highlands. Expand
  13. Jun 24, 2012
    I literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with aI literally saw nothing wrong with this movie. Brave was epic, inspiring, and beautiful. Great action, genius story, and hilarious comedy, it was a perfect film for adults and children to enjoy. Pixar has knocked another one out of the park, only Brave was not your normal home run, it was a grand slam. After a bit of a downfall with Cars 2, Pixar has recovered and has granted us with a beautiful film. Like i said before, from the action, the comedy, the animation, to the story, and everything in between, it was all perfect. You must see this film, whether you're 4 or 94, you will enjoy this movie. 10/10...Perfection. Expand
  14. Jun 24, 2012
    I will admit up front that I am a big fan of Pixar, and any movie of theirs gets an automatic 10 to begin with. From there, it may lose a point or two (Or more... ahem, Cars 2) but it usually takes a lot to convince me to deduct points from a Pixar film. Brave gets only one complaint from me, and that is simply that I can't give it an 11. What an amazing movie. Granted, it's not your usualI will admit up front that I am a big fan of Pixar, and any movie of theirs gets an automatic 10 to begin with. From there, it may lose a point or two (Or more... ahem, Cars 2) but it usually takes a lot to convince me to deduct points from a Pixar film. Brave gets only one complaint from me, and that is simply that I can't give it an 11. What an amazing movie. Granted, it's not your usual Pixar fare, and it certainly isn't for little kids. (My 5 year spent most of the movie under her mom's arm) The story is fairly unique, and the main characters are deep, well written, and well voiced/acted. I have NEVER felt as attached to an animated character as I did to Princess Merida. Lastly, the animation is absolutely mind blowing. Without giving anything away, the animation on the bear when it gets out of the fishing stream is easily the best animation I have ever seen. Robert Bateman would be jealous. Go see this movie, but see it with an open mind and without expectations. You will be glad you did. Expand
  15. Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    dharma
    Jun 24, 2012
    It's strange to think that PIXAR's movies were held in such high esteem, that any lesser output from the studio will be held under such scrutiny. BRAVE is such output from the studio; not as 'critically lambasted' as CARS 2 but never reaching the heights that the studio reach in their Toy Story trilogy, Incredibles or reaching such 'artistic' heights as in Wall-E or Up. Nevertheless, Being in the same 'quality' as Dreamworks' latest output such as Kung Fu Panda 2 is also worrying for fans. It's good, but never reaching great. It is actually Pixar's interpretation of Disney's 'Princess' genre. Technologically wise, it is incredible as usual
  16. Jun 24, 2012
    Pixar's Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, and others, always left me with a buzzy feeling of awe and inspiration. This movie, though, left me kind of confused, because I didn't feel like that after watching it. I can't put my finger on it as to why, because everything about the movie seemed right. Despite that, there were moments where I chuckled and laughed, and moments where I got a little dustPixar's Ratatouille, Wall-E, Up, and others, always left me with a buzzy feeling of awe and inspiration. This movie, though, left me kind of confused, because I didn't feel like that after watching it. I can't put my finger on it as to why, because everything about the movie seemed right. Despite that, there were moments where I chuckled and laughed, and moments where I got a little dust in me eye. Don't completely take my word for it, or anyone else's; decide for yourself what you think it is. Even if you end up not liking the story, it's Pixar! They make the best movies in the world! The attention to minute detail, the tones and colors of each scene, the thought and care put into every character movement and camera placement, the care put into each word, the accuracy of the Scottish culture etc. is beyond the grasp of just one sitting. Pixar can make drying paint humorous and interesting. On another note, for those believing the movie was all about "women's empowerment", I discourage that perspective. Moreover, I believe it was a much more simple approach: Pixar wanted to try a female lead, for once, and they didn't want to do it like its been done before a gajillion times. The story came about as it did organically after that decision. Having a nontraditional female lead, though, brings its own boat of problems, whether you meant to bring them out or not. People will always bring in their own experiences and justifications whether its true or not. Just the fact that they made a nontraditional female lead was Brave in and of itself.
    Personally, I thought it was really amazing that Merida isn't a girly, pink, blonde princess like in Tangled. It's interesting, and it's badass.

And, although this movie is 3D, if you love paying attention to little details in Pixar movies (ex. looking for Easter Eggs from their other movies) I highly discourage it. The 3D makes it very difficult to focus on minute details because you can only focus on one "layer" of the 3D at a time. Watch it in 2D if you want to really soak in as much details and minutiae as possible. The only reason they made it in 3D was probably because they had to do be competitive with all the other 3D stuff out there.
  17. Aug 16, 2012
    I enjoy watching Pixar movies with my kids - they're original, appealing to adults and kids alike, and above all fun. I just didn't get this one, I found myself bored mostly, which was a big of a surprise, though it would've been far more of one if I hadn't read some reviews beforehand. IMO, compared to How to train your Dragon, this is a distant second. When you actually compare theI enjoy watching Pixar movies with my kids - they're original, appealing to adults and kids alike, and above all fun. I just didn't get this one, I found myself bored mostly, which was a big of a surprise, though it would've been far more of one if I hadn't read some reviews beforehand. IMO, compared to How to train your Dragon, this is a distant second. When you actually compare the characters of those two movies, it's genuinely a shock to find Pixar being the one to roll out such one-dimensional, shallow characters. In How/Dragon the characters have far more depth and like-ability. Expand
  18. Jan 29, 2013
    If you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, upIf you're not the type to be sympathetic toward people who cause harm to themselves, I cannot imagine that you will enjoy this move. Most of the characters in this movie are unbelievably stupid, but you're supposed to relate to them anyway. What are you trying to say, Pixar?! And it's not like the characters get better and have this nice character arc either. They just stay stupid, up to the credits. Imagine if you watched a movie where the main character was a vegetarian. She goes up to a Burger King and says, "I want something that tastes good." So then the vegetarian gets a burger at the window. But it doesn't end there! She takes a bite! Then she spits the burger out the window and gets super mad at the employee, who says she's welcome to pull back around and order mozzarella sticks or something. The vegetarian then spends the rest of the movie deciding what to eat before figuring out that she could just pull her car around and order something without meat. And then music plays and you rejoice in the fact that the girl finally made the right decision. That's what this movie is like. Expand
  19. Sep 6, 2012
    Disney and Pixar do not deny ever and lead us in our cinemas Brave. Meanwhile, the film manages to give us a vision of the crazy Scottish landscapes with stunning graphics and tells a simple story but what about the family and its importance and how important is the dialogue between different generations.
  20. Jun 29, 2012
    I found this movie extremely refreshing. Seldom in 'hero' stories are audiences allowed a female lead, and while Merida is a Disney princess, she is also the hero of her own story. It's also nice to see a mother-daughter relationship explored in a children's movie. Brave has plenty of laughs and charm for the whole family, and the breathtaking scenery (and hair rendering!) are a must-see.I found this movie extremely refreshing. Seldom in 'hero' stories are audiences allowed a female lead, and while Merida is a Disney princess, she is also the hero of her own story. It's also nice to see a mother-daughter relationship explored in a children's movie. Brave has plenty of laughs and charm for the whole family, and the breathtaking scenery (and hair rendering!) are a must-see. It's nice that the previews didn't give away the main plot, and while the movie carries similar themes as other Disney films, this one feels new. Expand
  21. Nov 15, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This time, it's Kelly Macdonald's turn to be the princess, the future queen of Scotland. As Merida, she gets to be brave, but brave how? In Elizabeth, Macdonald plays Isabel Knollys, one of the then-princess' girlfriends, first glimpsed in a meadow, where she climbs off a horse and joins the idling others, who stop their dancing in order to greet the future queen's rival. Elizabeth, meanwhile, undulates alone, pretending not to notice the male presence. Whereas Merida grabs the reigns of her own horse, Isabel needs a man to do the riding, Elizabeth's man, the Earl of Leicester, who would later marry the lesser wench, while "The Virgin Queen", a Protestant, was busy antagonizing the Catholics. Unlike Elizabeth, the reluctant princess' formative years is distinguished by the obfuscation of a love interest and friends, both male, and more pointedly, female. It's a filmic calibration, calculatedly so. Instead of a true love, a man without the pedigree to marry a princess, Merida has a bow; no beau at all, no analog to Elizabeth's earl. Brave, despite its comic tempering, can't quite obscure the fact that Merida hatches a murder plot against the queen. Elinor, due to her interpellation into a patriarchal structure, turns a deaf ear to Merida's plea that she "just listen". The mother is too preoccupied with her daughter's betrothal, thereby circumventing an open dialogue about the redhead's lesbianism. At the outset of Brave, a transfiguration is suggested, when Merida, as a wee lass, encounters a will-o'-the-wisp while retrieving an errant arrow. According to lore, this floating body of blue light is reputed to drive people off safe paths. Metaphorically speaking, as life journeys go, heterosexuality, for a princess and future queen, would seem to be a less complicated road. Marry, and live happily ever after. Merida, however, is no storybook princess. At the archery contest, she declares, "I'll be shooting for my own hand," and afterwards, in the castle, the proto-feminist ranting persists, as the victorious princess, proud of her performative emancipation, tells Elinor, "I'm not going to be like you," before charging off into the woods on her horse. By perchance, the will-o'-the-wisp returns, finding the lost girl at her most vulnerable. Intuiting what Merida wants, the spirit leads the princess to a witch, who then concocts an elixir, a cake, with the power to "change" the queen(into a corpse?). As Elinor writhes and spasms, her daughter sits bedside, oblivious to the potentiality of her mother's death. The girl's overriding concern is that the queen should remand her impending nuptials. She tries to coax some last words out of the queen before the poison takes effect. But unexpectedly, Elinor turns into a bear, causing Merida to remark, "The witch must have given me a gamy spell." These seemingly benevolent words are double-edged, treacherous words that the audience, who presumes the heroine to be good, will vault past, never once entertaining the notion that the tainted cake was meant to kill. After all, it's a children's film. Scan the castle interiors; scan the crowd at the playing field for a girl, a peasant, perhaps, a secret lover who has to escape detection from the parental royals.The cake, and the violence which proceeds its consumption by a matriarchal figure, recalls Heavenly Creatures, when Pauline tells her mother to take the last pastry, to "treat yourself", just before the girls murder Honora Parker. With mom out of the way, Paulie thinks her fate is changed; she and Juliet(first seen dressed as a princess) can now be together. "She doesn't seem to "bear" us any grudge," Juliet says, as the torrid lovers make their last-minute preparations. Neither does Elinor, who adjusts to her new form in record time. That's because she's one, too: a lesbian. While searching for the sprite, Merida lets loose a Freudian slip of sorts, shouting, "Fine, don't come out while my mom is watching." She knows, though; the father, too, about them both. Later, back at the castle, the king tells Merida, "Just like your mom, you devil." He knows that the bear is his wife; he believes Merida. Only as a beast, a monster, can he justifiably kill his gay queen. "Don't let her out!" the king barks out at the housekeeper, or else he'll have to kill Merida, too, bear or not. Brave, in essence, is Mulan with kilts. Even more sexually confused than her Scottish counterpart, only in drag, as Ping, can Mulan love Li Shang. She too is leery about marriage. "When will my reflection show, who I am inside," the cross-dresser sings. Subconsciously, she purposefully sets the matchmaker on fire. But alas, to be a dutiful daughter, Mulan will marry the handsome captain, and please her tradition-bound parents. Merida, however, has other ideas. Like Joan, who passes on sailing to Kiloran in "I Know Where I'm Going", Merida, too, stays on dry land for love. Expand
  22. Jul 23, 2012
    Pixar is one of my most beloved studios in the movie industry. They have created the most memorable animated movies ever. So its fair to say that Brave, Pixar's latest, had a good wealth of expectation given the brilliant record of great movies the studio has produced. The movie had a lot to live up to, and sadly it doesnt quite get there, but nevertheless it ends up being irresistiblyPixar is one of my most beloved studios in the movie industry. They have created the most memorable animated movies ever. So its fair to say that Brave, Pixar's latest, had a good wealth of expectation given the brilliant record of great movies the studio has produced. The movie had a lot to live up to, and sadly it doesnt quite get there, but nevertheless it ends up being irresistibly charming. The reason I believe Brave doesnt quite capture the essence of the other Pixar movies like Up or Nemo, relies on the fact that its story develops mostly on the same place. There seems to be a lack of progression that other Pixar movies seem to develop with such mastery, a sense of discovery. Still, as already expressed, Brave is a very nice movie to see. Its story, while simple, is told with class and mastery. Its visuals are some of the best the studio has ever produced too. Its funny, its interesting and overall it is a worthwhile movie to watch. Certainly better than Ice Age 4 or Madagascar 3! Expand
  23. Feb 3, 2013
    Overall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I sawOverall, I liked Brave. While I do not think it is one of Pixar’s best it is still a good film. The story and characters are good enough and a lot better than you see in a lot of kids films these days. While I feel like the film could have been a lot better I think it is good enough. Hopefully, Pixar gets their groove back for their next film. While the film is not the best thing I saw this year it was still good. If you want to see a film with a female protagonist set in Irealnd with decent story and characters check Brave out. While I cannot gurantee you will love this film as much Up or Toy Story 3 you will at least like it and who knows maybe you will love it more than I did because this is a good film. Expand
  24. Jan 26, 2013
    Pixar has done it again. This movie is simply magical, and great for families. It's beautifully animated, has excellent voice acting, and a heart-warming story. I have to admit after watching Cars 2 I was a little worried that this movie might flop, but Pixar has once again struck gold.
  25. Jun 27, 2012
    The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.)The newest Pixar film seems much more like a pure Disney film, and feels as if Pixar had really nothing to do with it other then the animation. Does this mean it's not a good movie? Definitely not; in fact, it's quite good. A very heartwarming and enchanting tale of one of Disney's finest heroines comes to life in one of this years best animated films (Oscar nomination? I think so.) Though, as I said, it does not feel like a Pixar movie - it is still one of their best ones yet. So thumbs up for Brave. Expand
  26. Nov 29, 2012
    I thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seemI thought Brave was a very good and enjoyable family movie, but it didn't quite live up to it's Pixar brethren. For one, it felt incredibly short. I know the time listing says 93 minutes but I honestly doubt it was much more than 80 minutes. I have a feeling that "93" number is including the short film that preceded Brave called "La Luna". That was probably 5-10 minutes so that would seem more accurate. Also, the previews didn't do a very good job at representing the movie. The previews made it seem like the protagonist, Merida, would become overwhelmed and then run away from home. During this adventure, she would "find herself" by overcoming various obstacles during the course of the film. While this was partly true, the "adventure" lasted about 5 minutes and didn't lead her to any form of self discovery. Instead, she ended up back home and the path the movie took from here wasn't all that entertaining. The movie looked incredible and the voice acting was great but the plot just didn't unfold in the way I thought it should've. Still, this was a very good movie that the whole family can enjoy. Expand
  27. Jul 13, 2012
    Brave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fightBrave is the new Pixar movie and unlike others as Toy Story, Monsters Inc., or Up; it did not surprise me very much, the story and characters are repeated. The original thing is the protagonist, the first female leading character of Pixar movies and it is also noticeable that the main conflict is the relationship with the mother. This is like our actual society, in which woman can fight for their rights, speak up for what they want, decide which path to follow, live well without a husband and be able to raise a family on their own.
    Another interesting thing about this film is the title and the ironic situation that hides, because Merida is brave, she fights with weapons, climbs cliffs and waterfalls and fights against wild animals. Although in order to change from girl to woman, she must be brave, but of another kind, which means brave to take her own decisions knowing and accepting the consequences, to honor the will of her parents and to ensure the good of her people.
    The problem in the plot is the relationship with the mother, which occurs because nor Merida or Elinor listen to what the other have to say. The queen does not trust the ability of her daughter and Merida is blind by her stubbornness. So Merida must change the fate, look inside, mend the bond torn by pride.
    Finally, the images of Brave are amazing, the characters, the landscapes, the animals and especially the hair of Merida which is astonishing, totally worth the creation of a new software.
  28. Zal
    Dec 23, 2012
    In some ways, this movie exceeded my expectations. In other ways, it didn't. The best thing about this movie was the mother-daughter bond. How many movies (let alone Disney movies) can you think of that have such a theme? It helps that both characters are well written and easy to relate to. Both Merida and Eleanor make valid points but both are also very stubborn and refuse to hear theIn some ways, this movie exceeded my expectations. In other ways, it didn't. The best thing about this movie was the mother-daughter bond. How many movies (let alone Disney movies) can you think of that have such a theme? It helps that both characters are well written and easy to relate to. Both Merida and Eleanor make valid points but both are also very stubborn and refuse to hear the other one out. The first act of this movie is solid. The rest is a roller coaster. I won't say what happens but there were scenes that came across as very slapstick-y (until the last few scenes) and it took me out of the drama. It wants to be a simple story about a mother and daughter relationship but it wants to be an epic, too. It succeeds in the former but the later needed a lot of work. This is a movie with its heart in the right place and I hope that someone will see this and decide to make another movie with the same themes but done better. Expand
  29. Jul 12, 2012
    "Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about"Brave" is such a great word to summarize the events in and surrounding this film. First and foremost, "brave" describes Pixar's willingness to do two things they've never done before: feature a film with a female lead and feature a plotline that manifestly embodies the core realities at the heart of family relations. Second and most importantly, Pixar succeeded. Nothing is forced about the relationship between Merida and her mother. It's all genuine and incredibly heartfelt. Not to mention the film is encapsulated by the most spectacularly realistic imagery Pixar has ever done and has hints of Scottish culture. Oh, and there are wonderfully silly moments full of laughter as well. Could Pixar have done more with the storyline? Yes. Does it matter? Not in the least. It may not be the greatest film Pixar has ever made, but Brave stands as one of their best. Expand
  30. Jul 2, 2012
    hmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i didhmm, idk what about it, but i just didn't like it. i found the story a bit bland, and the adds advertise it as something else then it is. its told to be a fable-fantasy movie, but then it turns out to be one of those story's were someone finds out how important family is (and of course everything is the same in the end) however, the details in the graphics were inexpressive, however, i did not come to the movie to see graphics. i came for a story, however, i did not get that as much as it was promised. the add showed the funniest and most action filled moments. with kind of changed my expectations in the movie. so don't come into it expecting a comedy, or an action film. expect a Disney story. Expand

1. Reviewed by: Ian Nathan
    Aug 12, 2012
    No less lovely than former films, in many ways lovelier, but Brave is boutique Pixar: less ambitious, more succinct, excellence at a lower ebb.
  2. Reviewed by: Ben Child
    Jun 25, 2012
    For the animation studio's debut foray into fairytale, Pixar has delivered a rousing family melodrama.
  3. Reviewed by: Stephanie Zacharek
    Jun 25, 2012
    My heart belongs to Bear Elinor, whose movements and mannerisms are a tender echo of Human Elinor's – her character is designed and drawn just that carefully.